THE BROWNS BOARD

Week 10: Texans @ Browns... Bye-Bye, Bye / Hello, Houston

Tour2ma

Browns have extra ready-time... so do we.

Couple story-lines to watch...

• our return to health, and
  • Texans' CoVid woes.

In Week 9 HOU has again had to close their facility and revert to virtual meetings due to a player testing positive for CoVid-19.

Meanwhile as we await word on Chubb and Teller (apparently Penn Jillette has been replaced), our Injury Report has gotten shorter.

image.png.4d87310d92517ac6b0b96338a66c452c.png

However, no Practice Reports have been filed as yet.

• Like 1

Meanwhile in Houston..

May not mean much for next week, but right now their LB room has been decimated.

In Mercilus, Martin and Emanuel you have the entirety of HOU's SAM LB depth. Cole is a WILL backup.

image.png.3182517a65eeb0ef41f3d9d8926b062b.png

Stay tuned...

Or maybe the BROWNS players are all just doing what we fans are doing watching the election coverage.   :blink:

More likely TNF tonite...

Meanwhile back at the thread...

This "mailbag" Q&A seems appropriate...

What is the update on Nick Chubb's and Wyatt Teller's return from injury — Elizabeth B., Parma Heights

Both players are progressing well in their respective rehabs, coach Kevin Stefanski said earlier this week. Whether or not that means either player will be back Week 10 against the Houston Texans remains to be seen, but it hasn't been ruled out.

What is going on with Greedy Williams? When can we expect him to play his first game of the season? — Nick D., Wayne, West Virginia

That's yet to be determined. What we know is Williams continues to work hard behind the scenes while recovering from a nerve issue in his injured shoulder.

"He is working very, very hard," Stefanski said. "We are just going to keep seeing if he progresses over the next few weeks."

https://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/browns-mailbag-how-s-jedrick-wills-jr-handling-his-rookie-season

8 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Meanwhile as we await word on Chubb and Teller (apparently Penn Jillette has been replaced), our INjury Report has gotten shorter.

I'm glad you posted this. That loss left a particularly nasty taste in my mouth and while I'm extremely grateful for the healing properties of the bye, I find myself having difficulty seeing us win the games people think we're going to win. 

What I mean is, I think we can lose to anyone. Did anyone catch the Bucs play the Giants last week? On paper, the Bucs are a top 5 team and the Giants are near the bottom. The Bucs also have a terrific defense and should have laid the boom down on Daniel Jones. That didn't happen and the game was close for most of the content. Why does that matter to us? Because I don't see how we're going to get teams into punting situations. We've given up the second most first downs in the entire league. We've forced one punt in the past two games. Teams are around 14-16 against us on 4th down. 

Not only THAT, but we're vulnerable in the middle of the field and Watson is going to be an unholy nightmare. The GOOD news is that we'll be away from the weather and our team SHOULD compete on artificial turf, although we're desperately going to miss OBJ so much it won't be funny. I can pretty much promise you that either Hodge or Taylor will be targeted on multiple deep shots next Sunday. That's a part of our offense that we really haven't been able to get going and it's driving coach insane. 

Back to your thoughts...we should be much healthier on offense, and I can't WAIT to see Teller, Hooper, and Chubb back in action. I'm serious, we're going to look strong and should move the ball well against Houston. Defensively, well...that's another story. We don't have linebackers, our DL shat the muffin again, and we need to pray to the heavens that Garrett is totally fine. 

We're prepared to make a run to the playoffs, but it's not going to be easy. We're nowhere NEAR good enough to automatically think we're going to beat ANYONE except for the Jets. We are going to lose to one of the shitty teams, I'm just calling it now. However, we are also going to beat one of the GOOD teams on our schedule, most likely the Titans. I think we can beat them, and I can't wait to see it. 

I think it's OK to simultaneously be excited at our progress AND be disappointed by our struggles. We have 3 games where we scored 7 points or less. That's dumb. Last game the Raiders came into our house and possessed the ball FIFTEEN more minutes than we did. That's an entire quarter more than us. Again, dumb. Are we better? Yes. Is this more fun than pretty much every other year? Yes. Are we going to the playoffs? Ehhh.....

But you know what? This shit is fun. We have a REAL coach, and I love so much about him. I really hope we finish strong because I want to see us in the playoffs and I want to see Baker come back and be our QB for years to come. 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, jiggins7919 said:

I'm glad you posted this. That loss left a particularly nasty taste in my mouth and while I'm extremely grateful for the healing properties of the bye...

My name is Tour and I'm here to help... ;)

20 minutes ago, jiggins7919 said:

Did anyone catch the Bucs play the Giants last week?

Any given Sunday LIVES!

I hear you. We are not good enough to take any game for granted... even the Jets IMO. Especially since Darnold's shoulder seems to be healing up.

But we are good enough to not only be in every game, but be justifiably favored in most of our remaining ones and in 2020 that should be enough to punch our ticket to the postseason. And once there.... who knows.

The key is for our O to heal and stay healthy. If it does, then we can compete and then some... although I'd rather do it with OBJ...

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

The key is for our O to heal and stay healthy. If it does, then we can compete and then some... although I'd rather do it with OBJ...

I know. I was surprised at how much emotion I had bubbling up after his injury news. I literally had tears in my eyes and my wife was worried and asked why I was upset and I told her, "He worked so hard and always said the right things, even though nothing has really gone right for him here. He blocks, he hustles, and he celebrates with his team. He thought this would be the best season of his career, and it just sucks." 

Any given Sunday definitely lives, and I'm interested to see how we respond in Houston. I'm gonna miss them Sunday! 

Correction, we're hosting Houston unfortunately. Pray for weather that doesn't suck.

No new news for us as we've had our only practice of the week on Wednesday and apparently aren't required to file injury reports during our Bye-week.

No new news for us as we've had our only practice of the week on Wednesday and apparently aren't required to file injury reports during our Bye-week.

On 11/5/2020 at 10:31 PM, Tour2ma said:

My name is Tour and I'm here to help... ;)

Any given Sunday LIVES!

I hear you. We are not good enough to take any game for granted... even the Jets IMO. Especially since Darnold's shoulder seems to be healing up.

But we are good enough to not only be in every game, but be justifiably favored in most of our remaining ones and in 2020 that should be enough to punch our ticket to the postseason. And once there.... who knows.

I expect better team chemistry. It's Baker's team now. 

1 hour ago, Tour2ma said:

Below average QBs can have teams?

well... if your the Cowboys 🤠...  https://nesn.com/2020/11/nfl-rumors-heres-cowboys-plan-at-quarterback-for-game-vs-steelers/  good luck Garrett (Clint Longley ll)

On 11/6/2020 at 7:25 PM, Dutch Oven said:

As much as we need this bye week, god I hate when the Browns are on a bye week! 

LOL, I said the same thing! Felt like something big was missing today, regardless of how much we needed it. Then I read the story about Baker being on the covid list, and I thought, "Oh here we freaking go." 

But in all likelihood, Baker will be fine. What I'm NOT as confident with is the game against the Texans. They can move the ball, which means they'll be able to move it on us, and I'm really worried about the game resembling the damn Raiders game. I don't see us forcing punts, and we'll have to hope for more turnovers and the re-emergence of Nick Chubb and Wyatt Tellar. Can we win? Oh yeah, but it's going to be CLOSE. It wouldn't surprise me if we had to pull out a Cincinnati Bengals type drive at the last minute to win. 

You know what'd be great? If we blew somebody out, Lmao. I could go for that! 😂

Weather is welcomed in this one next week.  

If any of you recall Watson while being a very competent QB with his legs and his arm- Doesn’t possess the kind of zip on the ball needed for windy Cleveland.   At least I recall that being heavily scrutinized during the draft evaluation process.

at any rate, I’m deathly afraid of what he can do with his legs and his arm and our back 7 being the way it is right now. 

1 hour ago, SdBacker80 said:

Doesn’t possess the kind of zip on the ball needed for windy Cleveland.   At least I recall that being heavily scrutinized during the draft evaluation process.

I think your memory is faulty in this instance. I don't recall arm strength questions. I do recall him being billed as having a very calibrated arm with everything from touch to zip and everything I've seen of him conforms this.

PFF described his throwing this way" Displays a complete inventory of passes with zip, firm with touch. Changes the pace of the ball well when needed."

Plus he was PFF's #2 deep ball QB this past offseason trailing only Russell Wilson.

Oh, boy, oh boy, oh boy !

Things looking up on the injury front:

https://www.brownsnation.com/report-nick-chubb-returning-to-practice-this-week/

"Luckily, Chubb isn’t the only player that is expected to return after the bye week.

Cleveland is hopeful they will also get tight end Austin Hooper and right guard Wyatt Teller back on the field soon.

#Browns are 5-3 going into the bye week. Some key players possibly returning from injury in Week 10:

Nick Chubb
Austin Hooper
Wyatt Teller"

• Thanks 1

And now better news...

Yesterday Chubb was designated for return from IR as of today. :)

image.png.d918a97d551a2c1ed28054d19df3c1a8.png

Meanwhile not reflected in their update yesterday, HOU had another LB go down with injury yesterday.

image.png.3a0bd8b557eb6b9af3deb3f15d70e271.png

Couple other HOU-JAX game notes:

• After looking good on an early carry David Johnson was concussed on his first pass target by a hard, legal hit by Myles Jack. As my FF team can attest, he did not return to the game.
  • Other HOU injuries included: Charles Omenihu (DE, hamstring), Brennan Scarlett (OLB, Arm) and Senio Kelemete (OG, Concussion). HOU went into the game thin at DE and OLB due to players in CoVid protocol and therefore Inactive.
  • With Da. Johnson out, Du. Johnson... yup, that'd be Duke... carried the load for HOU. Duke finished with 41 yards on 16 carries (2.6 YPC) with 1 TD, plus 4 catches out of 4 targets for 32 yards.
  • JJ Watt recorded his 100th career sack. He is the 5th fastest to that mark since the NFL started recording sacks... considering the time he has missed only makes that achievement more remarkable.

Biggest news out of the game is the controversy over HOU's 77-yd, TD pass to Will Fuller. The play clock was on "0" for over 2 seconds before the ball was snapped, but the Backjudge missed seeing the time expire and the play was not flagged. It is not eligible for review/challenge. Seems to me giving a couple Officials "buzzers" is all that is needed.

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/nfl-rule-change-texans-vs-jaguars/wn6l3zlvcdsr1qgwz04tn7ral

2 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

I think your memory is faulty in this instance. I don't recall arm strength questions. I do recall him being billed as having a very calibrated arm with everything from touch to zip and everything I've seen of him conforms this.

PFF described his throwing this way" Displays a complete inventory of passes with zip, firm with touch. Changes the pace of the ball well when needed."

Plus he was PFF's #2 deep ball QB this past offseason trailing only Russell Wilson.

E2DC4F09-9BD9-415E-8667-8E9D8D3F79D3.jpeg

1 hour ago, Dutch Oven said:

I was just going to say that I do recall Watson having a poor spin rate. 

That was the main reason teams didn't want him and it was totally ridiculous. Like all of the sudden he couldn't throw the damn ball or something. He's going to be an absolute nightmare for us, and I can already see him running for multiple first downs when it's 3rd and long and we refuse to cover the middle of the field again. The ONE thing that gives me the most hope is Myles Garrett and the fact Watson holds onto the ball WAY too long. 

1 hour ago, jiggins7919 said:

That was the main reason teams didn't want him and it was totally ridiculous. Like all of the sudden he couldn't throw the damn ball or something. He's going to be an absolute nightmare for us, and I can already see him running for multiple first downs when it's 3rd and long and we refuse to cover the middle of the field again. The ONE thing that gives me the most hope is Myles Garrett and the fact Watson holds onto the ball WAY too long. 

Apparently the bettors are thinking the same thing, because the Browns are only favored by 2.5 or 3 points.... A 5-3 team at home against a 2-6 road team, that small a favorite? 

• Like 1

Speed gun data?

Its worth is debated every time the Combine list comes out... and we're no nearer a consensus.

Best source I've found for the data is here: https://www.ourlads.com/story/default/Quarterback-Ball-Velocity-at-NFL-Combine-2008-2017/10243/dh/

Best article I've read on its worth is here: https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/ball-velocity-numbers-are-lying-to-you