THE BROWNS BOARD

Is it too early to admit I was wrong?

Westside Steve

9 hours ago, Vagitron said:

Not when the team is a damn mess. It takes time, your perspective on this is why the Browns are continually in the gutter.  If you fire every damn coach that has a tough time in a season or two you stay in the revolving door.  Continuity needs to exist and while McCarthy lost his job in GB he still had success in GB, the team has to be ready to win to actually win.  A coach isn't going to immediately right those wrongs.  Jerry jones is also a problem in dallas.

This is Cleveland vag.. half the season is over. If the team ain't 7 and 1 Jimmy is looking for an entire new coaching staff and front office. Anyway screw the boys screw Jerry Jones at screw McCarthy. I certainly would hate it worse if he takes those rat bastards to the Super Bowl. Not as bad as you guys but still...

WSS

• Like 1

Instagram post shared by @cbssports

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/this-is-the-most-hated-team-in-the-nfl-according-to-a-recent-twitter-study/

Dallas....why not Start QB Garrett Gilbert that played at Texas & SMU? 🤠... Starting QB Cooper *Rush*, just seems like a poorly planned Steeler invitation.. Please! Spare the world from watching more of Ben NiNucci 🙄   

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Wait.... WV hates us?

image.png.af8023fe4ca05939dafab53dedd4ea43.png

Whoo-hoo! WE'RE WORTH HATING!

Yea, I wonder why that is?   But at least we were worthy of having one state hate us most.

I notice that none of the following teams got the most hate from any state: Chargers/Cards/Broncos/Texans/Vikings/Lions/Bengals/Titans/Jags/Dolphins/Bucs/Colts/Panthers/Giants/Bills or  WTFs.

21 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

I always heard that "America's Team" was bestowed on the Boys by Sabol and NFL Films. It was the title of one of their season summary productions for Dallas.

And wasn't Roger's nickname Capt. Comeback?

I'd never heard it was offered to PTG first...  although given the year, 1978, that the moniker was coined, it would make sense that PTG would be a candidate as the 70's was kinda their decade. Their 1978 NFL Films summary was titled Return of the Champions.

Yea, it was offered to the Steelers first.  Dave Wannstedt talks about it and for whatever reason (I assume because the Steelers play the Cowboys this week) it has resurfaced. 

14 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

This is Cleveland vag.. half the season is over. If the team ain't 7 and 1 Jimmy is looking for an entire new coaching staff and front office. Anyway screw the boys screw Jerry Jones at screw McCarthy. I certainly would hate it worse if he takes those rat bastards to the Super Bowl. Not as bad as you guys but still...

WSS

Here is to hoping Jimmy bucks the trend, can't keep the revolving door and expect to stay consistently solid. 

4 hours ago, Vagitron said:

Yea, it was offered to the Steelers first.  Dave Wannstedt talks about it and for whatever reason (I assume because the Steelers play the Cowboys this week) it has resurfaced. 

Good story, but...

... to be true that means:

• NFL (Films) offered it to you following your 1975 season ending in your Jan., '76 SB win; then
  • skipped offering it to the 1977 'Boyz team that won a SB; then
  • gave it to the '78 'Boyz who lost a SB.

Does sitting on the name an added year to give it to a SB loser seem logical to you?

46 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Good story, but...

... to be true that means:

• NFL (Films) offered it to you following your 1975 season ending in your Jan., '76 SB win; then
  • skipped offering it to the 1977 'Boyz team that won a SB; then
  • gave it to the '78 'Boyz who lost a SB.

Does sitting on the name an added year to give it to a SB loser seem logical to you?

I"m not really sure why Dave Wannstedt would lie about it.  What would be the purpose of making that up? Personally I don't really give a shit. It seems perfectly logical to want to give it to the Steelers all things considered.  EDIT: I just did some more digging and it seems to be a mixed bag of who is telling the truth.  I'm glad it isn't the Steelers. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Vagitron said:

I"m not really sure why Dave Wannstedt would lie about it.  What would be the purpose of making that up? Personally I don't really give a shit. It seems perfectly logical to want to give it to the Steelers all things considered.  EDIT: I just did some more digging and it seems to be a mixed bag of who is telling the truth.  I'm glad it isn't the Steelers. 

Dave Wannstedt has generally been proven to be clueless, so anything he claims would have to be taken with a grain of salt. I doubt that it was ever really offered to the Steelers.  The Cowboys had the image that applied at the time.  The star on their helmet, the squeaky clean former Navy man at the controls.  I mean, they were not going to give it to a team that had the reputation as the dirtiest team in the league (or, at least, at that time, vying with the Raiders for that title), and they in no way wanted to give it to a team whose logo included things called "hypocycloids". 

22 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Yea, I wonder why that is?   But at least we were worthy of having one state hate us most.

I notice that none of the following teams got the most hate from any state: Chargers/Cards/Broncos/Texans/Vikings/Lions/Bengals/Titans/Jags/Dolphins/Bucs/Colts/Panthers/Giants/Bills or  WTFs.

That is just wrong. I moved from NW Ohio to West Virginia 2 years ago and am always running into Browns fans here.

• Like 1

Getting back to the original premise of this thread - confessing one's prediction sins - I got one...

Forgive me Father, for I have sinned. I thought Jim Harbaugh was going to make TTUN a legit threat to Ohio State's dominance of the Big Ten. They are a half away from starting this season 1-2.  

7 hours ago, Zombo said:

When I saw the thread title and "Westside Steve" I thought this thread was intended for the Political Forum.

Silly, silly Zombo...