THE BROWNS BOARD

AFC Playoff Picture

Zombo

51 minutes ago, Zombo said:

It actually makes sense to me, because if Baltimore finishes 2nd and we finish 3rd, we shouldn't be able to leap over them in the Wild Card positions.

Zombo

I agree with that.  Baltimore would be in over the Browns head to head.   What I am saying is that if say  the  Ravens finish  10-6  and the Dolphins and the Browns each finish  10-6, sure the Ravens would be in over the Browns due to head to head or better division record.......but why should the Dolphins be in over the Browns because the Ravens are?  Especially say, if the Browns have a better or the same  conference record as the Dolphins?  If Browns have the same record, and a better conference record, they should be in ahead of the Dolphins.   If both have the same conference record, then they could go to the "better record in common games"  tiebreak level. 

I will forego doing my "If the Playoffs started Today"   thread since the above covers a lot of it.   I will just supplement it with the other info I usually include there:

NFC:    Eagles  ,  Packers #1 seed, Saints and Cardinals lead their divisions.   Bucs 7-3, Rams and Seahawks each 6-3 would be  Wildcards.  Bears in hunt at 5-5

AFC:  Steelers, Chiefs, Bills, Colts  lead divisions.   Raiders, Dolphins, Ravens  all 6-3 would be WCs.   Browns and Titans in hunt each also at  6-3. 

#1 Draft Pick Order:

Jets  0-9

Jags  1-9

WTFs 2-7

Cowboys 2-7

Chargers 2-7

Texans  2-7.....but pick traded to Miami

Bengals 2-6-1

4 hours ago, The Gipper said:

I agree with that.  Baltimore would be in over the Browns head to head.   What I am saying is that if say  the  Ravens finish  10-6  and the Dolphins and the Browns each finish  10-6, sure the Ravens would be in over the Browns due to head to head or better division record.......but why should the Dolphins be in over the Browns because the Ravens are?  Especially say, if the Browns have a better or the same  conference record as the Dolphins?  If Browns have the same record, and a better conference record, they should be in ahead of the Dolphins.   If both have the same conference record, then they could go to the "better record in common games"  tiebreak level. 

So you agree the Browns belong behind the Ravens in that scenario. So the next step is to compare the Dolphins to the Ravens. If they hold the tiebreaker over the Ravens, then it is 5. Dolphins 6. Ravens 7. Browns.

Now if the Ravens also hold the tiebreaker over the Dolphins then the Ravens are 5 and you THEN compare the Browns and Dolphins for 6 and 7. In any scenario you should be seeded behind a team that finished ahead if you in your own division, so you have to wait for them to be plugged in before you can re-enter the tiebreaker scenarios.

Stills seems fair to me.

Z

1 hour ago, Zombo said:

So you agree the Browns belong behind the Ravens in that scenario. So the next step is to compare the Dolphins to the Ravens. If they hold the tiebreaker over the Ravens, then it is 5. Dolphins 6. Ravens 7. Browns.

Now if the Ravens also hold the tiebreaker over the Dolphins then the Ravens are 5 and you THEN compare the Browns and Dolphins for 6 and 7. In any scenario you should be seeded behind a team that finished ahead if you in your own division, so you have to wait for them to be plugged in before you can re-enter the tiebreaker scenarios.

Stills seems fair to me.

Z

Yes, I am assuming that the Ravens would end up having the edge over both the Browns and the Dolphins so that it would be down to the Browns and Dolphins to compare.

Above, they are giving the advantage to the Dolphins over the Ravens due to better conference record.  I can buy that they would also give them the advantage over the Browns because of a better conference record....but NOT give them the advantage just because the Ravens have the advantage.

Of course, right now, it is skewed because the Fins have only played  5 conference games to date, whereas the Browns and Ravens have played 7.  Dolphins are 3-2 in conference,  Ravens and Browns are each 4-3.   That is our issue at looking at this stuff right now. Things will even out in the end.

At this point the Dolphins have completed all their games vs. the NFC,  where the Rats and Browns still have 2 left there.  

Of these 3 teams, I am not sure which has the tougher remaining schedule:

Dolphins play:   Broncos, Jets, Bengals, Chiefs, Pats, Raiders, Bills.......3 current playoff position teams.

Ravens play: Titans, Steelers, Cowboys, Browns, Jags, Giants, Bengals......3 current playoff position teams.

Browns play:  Eagles, Jags, Titans, Ravens, Giants, Jets, Steelers........4 current playoff position teams.   

Perhaps  the Browns have the tougher schedule among the 3 based on more playoff teams?.  Unless you want to count the Pats as a tough game for the Fins...which I think we should. So, on the face of it, seems the Ravens have the easier schedule, in theory. 

1 hour ago, The Gipper said:

Yes, I am assuming that the Ravens would end up having the edge over both the Browns and the Dolphins so that it would be down to the Browns and Dolphins to compare.

Above, they are giving the advantage to the Dolphins over the Ravens due to better conference record.  I can buy that they would also give them the advantage over the Browns because of a better conference record....but NOT give them the advantage just because the Ravens have the advantage.

Of course, right now, it is skewed because the Fins have only played  5 conference games to date, whereas the Browns and Ravens have played 7.  Dolphins are 3-2 in conference,  Ravens and Browns are each 4-3.   That is our issue at looking at this stuff right now. Things will even out in the end.

At this point the Dolphins have completed all their games vs. the NFC,  where the Rats and Browns still have 2 left there.  

Of these 3 teams, I am not sure which has the tougher remaining schedule:

Dolphins play:   Broncos, Jets, Bengals, Chiefs, Pats, Raiders, Bills.......3 current playoff position teams.

Ravens play: Titans, Steelers, Cowboys, Browns, Jags, Giants, Bengals......3 current playoff position teams.

Browns play:  Eagles, Jags, Titans, Ravens, Giants, Jets, Steelers........4 current playoff position teams.   

Perhaps  the Browns have the tougher schedule among the 3 based on more playoff teams?.  Unless you want to count the Pats as a tough game for the Fins...which I think we should. So, on the face of it, seems the Ravens have the easier schedule, in theory. 

Way too early to delve into specific scenarios at this point, I just feel that the NFLs current policy of resolving divisional tiebreakers before  conference tiebreakers is correct and fair.

Z

3 hours ago, Zombo said:

Way too early to delve into specific scenarios at this point, I just feel that the NFLs current policy of resolving divisional tiebreakers before  conference tiebreakers is correct and fair.

Z

Well, like I said, it will all boil out in the end when all teams have played the same number of division/conference games. 

Its the sort of thing you  muse about when there are like  6 teams with the same record.

Colts, Raiders, Dolphins, Ravens, Browns, Titans all 6-3 ....plus Buffalo with  7-3

So right now we're out of the playoffs.  But the Ravens play the Titans.  One of them will be 6-4.  The Colts play the Packers and the Raiders play the Chiefs.   

With a win over Philly we could conceivably leapfrog 3 teams this weekend.  And Miami is playing in Denver.  It's always an adventure playing a mile up in the atmosphere.  

THIS is a BIG weekend for the Browns.......and playoff hopes.  It's one of the winnable games on our schedule.  We need this one!

• Upvote 4

I still believe our playoff hopes remain in the AFCN... sure, all wins will matter.. Philly/@Jags/@ Tenn. Slippery slope.. all 3 dubs are doable..2 of 3 AFC division.

But, squashing Lamar's hopes in Cleveland next on a windy MNF game? Should be a nice mo springboard to a two game roadie finishes in NY.(Giants are Bengal like bothersome in the nfc).. Than the Penn from PA comes to the Land.. The only team that game should matter for? Is US! 🥊    

I'm scoreboard watching 3 teams.. a) *The Bills--- have the worse schedule left, imo.. b) *Miami--- may catch them.. c.) *LV Raiders---KC/Colts/Miami all remain home games in Vegas..(somebody get Chuckie's Crew out our way) 

6-3 & scoreboard watching (it's been a long-long road.. with the dirtiest paths & alleys to ever get to here).. EnJoy this Cleveland... Enjoy 7 weeks of meaningful Football... 

GO CLEVELAND !!

On 11/18/2020 at 12:56 PM, Zombo said:

Stills seems fair to me.

Z

LOL, isn't it a pleasant change Z to be talking playoff scenarios the end of November?   We beat the teams we should beat  Jags, Giants, and Jets- then pick up one win against the other three- that's 11-5, plenty good enough to visit the playoffs in the first time in almost forever. We have to be realistic- we're not catching the Steelers. For that matter no one should bet against them getting the #1 seed either.   

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, hoorta said:

LOL, isn't it a pleasant change Z to be talking playoff scenarios the end of November?   We beat the teams we should beat  Jags, Giants, and Jets- then pick up one win against the other three- that's 11-5, plenty good enough to visit the playoffs in the first time in almost forever. We have to be realistic- we're not catching the Steelers. For that matter no one should bet against them getting the #1 seed either.   

If the Chiefs take care of business tonight, I might make that bet still.   Just one loss could do it. 

7 minutes ago, hoorta said:

Hell, we usually talk draft in October. 

• Upvote 2

Raiders would go ahead of Browns if they win tonight.   But Browns would still be in the playoff  position. 

So, before the weekend is over, they will either be in 6th or 7th seed position. 

RaRaider
  • Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Chiefs pull it out in the last like 30 seconds.   Browns stay at #6 position, I think. 

think nothing of the sort.. were 7-3..Raiders 6-4... head to head & conference record only comes into play after W/L record.. big afc conference loss for raiders too.

25 minutes ago, gumby73 said:

think nothing of the sort.. were 7-3..Raiders 6-4... head to head & conference record only comes into play after W/L record.. big afc conference loss for raiders too

What I meant was that I am not sure that we may even could be in the #5 position.  But, in checking, no, they are in No. 6.

But only because the Tits have a 5-3 conf. record vs. 4-3 for the Browns and that "better" conference record gives them the edge there. 

We do play them in two weeks.  

On the playoff chase.....I will note that the Browns DO have a tougher  schedule than appears  from here on out.

They have  4 road games left of the 6.  And though 3 of those are vs.  teams they should beat,  JAX/NYJ/NYG (they are 2-2 on the road ..though, the two road losses were to Balt. and Pitt), still   winning any road game is difficult.   And that last one is against the very tough Titans who beat the Ratfuckers on the road today.    And our two home games are against Baltimore and Pittsburgh. 

15 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

What I meant was that I am not sure that we may even could be in the #5 position.  But, in checking, no, they are in No. 6.

But only because the Tits have a 5-3 conf. record vs. 4-3 for the Browns and that "better" conference record gives them the edge there. 

We do play them in two weeks.  

the wife all ready made ticket arrangement with some business friends in Knoxville last week... WE WILL BE THERE! 👀  with bones on!  nice 6 hour drive for us.. gonna be sweet..Come on Myles Garrett! 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, gumby73 said:

the wife all ready made ticket arrangement with some business friends in Knoxville last week... WE WILL BE THERE! 👀  with bones on!  nice 6 hour drive for us.. gonna be sweet..Come on Myles Garrett! 

Hoorta, Flugel and I went to a game there a few years back......with the immortal Cody Kessler starting for the Browns.  Needless to say it did not end well.  I think this had to be in the midst of  1-31 somewhere.    In Browns history  Kessler's 0-8 record is only acceded by DeShone Kizer's  0-15 for team all time futility. 

On 11/16/2020 at 8:04 AM, Zombo said:

After 10 weeks, the Browns are 6-3, in a five-way tie for the three Wild Card spots, and currently seeded #8, the top 7 make it.

image.png

This week the Browns host the 3-5-1 Philadelphia Eagles and are 3.5 favorite to win.

This week's games with implications:

1. Tennessee at Baltimore. The Browns are currently sandwiched between these two 6-3 teams, so pick your poison ... I'll go for the Rats to lose! Go Tits!

2. Kansas City at Vegas. The hope here is for the Chiefs to keep rolling toward the division title while knocking the Raiders behind us in the Wild Card chase. Go Chiefs!

3. Green Bay at Indianapolis. Packers can do us a favor ... Go Packers!

4. Miami at Denver. Need a Broncs upset. Go Broncos!

5. Pittsburgh at Jacksonville. Seriously though, when do the Steelers hit the hard part of their schedule? Go Jags!

NFC Game tonight, so let's get right to it:

Browns hold serve at home.

Ravens lose, Raiders lose, Dolphins lose.

Colts & Steelers win, so where does that leave us ...

After 11 weeks, the Browns are 7-3 and seeded #6, the top 7 teams make the playoffs. Currently the Browns would be playing at Buffalo in the first round of the playoffs

image.png

This week the Browns play at 1-9 Jacksonville and are 6.5 point favorites to win.

1. Baltimore at Pittsburgh. Pick your poison. If you are still holding out hope for the division, root for Baltimore. If you want the Rats buried behind us, root for Pittsburgh. Personally I am rooting for Covid in this one. Go Covid!

2. Tennessee at Indianapolis. Someone is going to lose , so that is good. I guess I wouldn't mind seeing the Tits win, and then we beat them next week and we hold the tiebreaker over both teams at that point. Go Neither!

3. Bills at Chargers ... Go Chargers!

4. Dolphins at Jets ... Go J ... oh, never mind.

5. Chiefs at Tampa ... Go Bucs!

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Zombo said:

After 11 weeks, the Browns are 7-3 and seeded #6, the top 7 teams make the playoffs. Currently the Browns would be playing at Buffalo in the first round of the playoffs

image.png

This week the Browns play at 1-9 Jacksonville and are 6.5 point favorites to win.

1. Baltimore at Pittsburgh. Pick your poison. If you are still holding out hope for the division, root for Baltimore. If you want the Rats buried behind us, root for Pittsburgh. Personally I am rooting for Covid in this one. Go Covid!

2. Tennessee at Indianapolis. Someone is going to lose , so that is good. I guess I wouldn't mind seeing the Tits win, and then we beat them next week and we hold the tiebreaker over both teams at that point. Go Neither!

I am looking at it as the Spermsuckers and the Chiefs are going to be nigh on impossible to catch. Just a dose of reality there.  But, as I noted elsewhere, if the Steelers beat the Ravens, and the Browns beat the Jags, then we would have a full 2 game lead on the Rats......so, aside from our true rooting interest in that game...which is for the meatwagon, I think we may be forced to be backing Pittsburgh.     A despicable, but perhaps necessary option. 

6 hours ago, Zombo said:

First, if you look at all the Round 1 match ups as of now, they could not fall better for us...

• CLE @ BUF... gives us one of the weaker ground attacks to face and despite showing improvement, Allen does rattle under a strong rush. Plus neither team will have recent playoff experience.
  • LVR is KC's biggest nitemare...and an LVR upset puts them in PTG for Round 2.
  • TN @ IND might not have any survivors for us to visit.

In that light let's revisit...

6 hours ago, Zombo said:

1. Baltimore at Pittsburgh. Pick your poison. If you are still holding out hope for the division, root for Baltimore. If you want the Rats buried behind us, root for Pittsburgh.
  1. Go Steelers... bury BLT and then pave a road over their grave Hoffa-style...
  2. Go TN... much rather face them at this point. IND's looking way too balanced... besides we'll give TN a "L" in a couple weeks... ;)
  3. Go Bills... keep that RND 1 match up.
  4. Go Jets.... somehow MIA suddenly has a QB problem... and the Jets under Flacco have a pulse, so pulling for NYJ is not a completely hopeless expenditure of energy.
  5. Go KC... keep them in the #2 seed... and us away from seeing them in Rnd 1.

On 11/23/2020 at 2:52 PM, Tour2ma said:

In that light let's revisit...

1. Go Steelers... bury BLT and then pave a road over their grave Hoffa-style... Gotta wait until Tuesday
  2. Go TN... much rather face them at this point. IND's looking way too balanced... besides we'll give TN a "L" in a couple weeks... ;)
  3. Tits did take out Colts. 
  4. Go Bills... keep that RND 1 match up.  Bills did win over Chargers. 
  5. Go Jets.... somehow MIA suddenly has a QB problem... and the Jets under Flacco have a pulse, so pulling for NYJ is not a completely hopeless expenditure of energy.
  6. Like the Jets were  going to win....NOT
  7. Go KC... keep them in the #2 seed... and us away from seeing them in Rnd 1.
  8. KC stomping  Tampa in first half. 

Also....Atlanta Falcons did Browns a big favor,   lambasting Raiders   43-6.   What the hell happened there?  But we will take it.