THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns Defense

jiggins7919

Our defense has forced one punt in two games. Today our offense had just 6 total possessions, the fewest of any game in the last 30 years. We've also failed to stop approximately 90% of 4th down conversions. 

It's rough right now on defense, and we need to pray we get healthier so we can actually compete on that side of the ball. 

7 hours ago, jiggins7919 said:

Our defense has forced one punt in two games. Today our offense had just 6 total possessions, the fewest of any game in the last 30 years. We've also failed to stop approximately 90% of 4th down conversions. 

It's rough right now on defense, and we need to pray we get healthier so we can actually compete on that side of the ball. 

And going back to 1994, about 26 years, at 5-2 it was the best start since Bill B. was running things here.

What a difference a week makes.  :blink:

6 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Some guy on here would say  "you can't fix everything in one year"......OK,  but you can fuck up half the team in one year, it seems. 

I know...I keep telling myself that same thing, but damn...that defense makes the game tough to watch. 

48 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

And going back to 1994, about 26 years, at 5-2 it was the best start since Bill B. was running things here.

What a difference a week makes.  :blink:

Unfortunately the defense was still atrocious a week ago, we just happened to have an outstanding drive at the end of the game. Think about forcing 1 punt in 2 games...and last week, you basically got bailed out by two plays (int and fumble) or else it would have been curtains.  Remember that Dallas game? We lose that game unless OBJ rips off that reverse TD. Something is very wrong with them, and I guess we just need to hope we can outscore everyone because we ain't stopping nobody. 

This is still the best season I can remember in recent history, so I don't want to lose sight of that. But...but...damn man. It's so hard to watch. Can't tackle and can't ever make a play on 3rd or 4th down. Ever. 

7 minutes ago, jiggins7919 said:

Unfortunately the defense was still atrocious a week ago, we just happened to have an outstanding drive at the end of the game. Think about forcing 1 punt in 2 games...and last week, you basically got bailed out by two plays (int and fumble) or else it would have been curtains.  Remember that Dallas game? We lose that game unless OBJ rips off that reverse TD. Something is very wrong with them, and I guess we just need to hope we can outscore everyone because we ain't stopping nobody. 

This is still the best season I can remember in recent history, so I don't want to lose sight of that. But...but...damn man. It's so hard to watch. Can't tackle and can't ever make a play on 3rd or 4th down. Ever. 

Exactly! I kept telling the wife the defense needs to get us off the field! They never did!!! The offense struggled with weather, drops and fumbles! Didn't help the zebras took away our TD, but gave them theirs. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Some guy on here would say  "you can't fix everything in one year"......OK,  but you can fuck up half the team in one year, it seems. 

There's a narrative on here from some that the Browns focused almost exclusively on offense this year, and will focus on defense next offseason.

That's not entirely true. The Browns used their first rounder on LT Wills, but then used their 2nd rounder and both 3rd rounders on three defensive players.

Unfortunately, all three have missed a lot of time with injuries and have contributed little. 

51 minutes ago, jiggins7919 said:

Can't tackle and can't ever make a play on 3rd or 4th down. Ever. 

This is exactly the problem. They miss the initial tackle all the time. And they can’t get off the field

Yesterday they allowed a 3rd and 18 screen pass to get a first down

And I saw somewhere they have stopped only one 4th down play in 15 tries. That is a 93% success rate

I keep hearing that we need to get healthy on that side of the ball when we need more talent on that side of the ball.

Is Greedy our savior? Philips? 

we’ve been awful since Nov./Dec 2019.  We thought our backers were fine.  They weren’t.  We tried to upgrade Vernon but couldn’t. We did some stop gaps at safety.  The plan failed. 

We are so easy to game plan against and we have the best pass rusher right now in the NFL but you just need 2/3 seconds ball out and watch our circus back 7 play in space and tackle.

Our LBs can’t read diagnose and fill to support stopping the run game.  They cant man cover in space either and they look confused in zone scheme. Probably all okay in special teams next year 

we need everything except for Garrett’s spot including a #1 corner that can stay healthy - that should tell you everything you need to know.

There is very little excuse to be in this situation for Berry.  The linebacker core was rated last in the league going into the season, and that was BEFORE injury. 

Your back up plan at safety is Sandejo? 

The Browns have massive cap space and 9 picks coming this draft. 9 rookies aren't making this team. 

55 minutes ago, Browns149 said:

This is exactly the problem. They miss the initial tackle all the time. And they can’t get off the field

Yesterday they allowed a 3rd and 18 screen pass to get a first down

And I saw somewhere they have stopped only one 4th down play in 15 tries. That is a 93% success rate

They not only miss but They get taken for a ride for extra yards.  I thought we were watching a HS football game for a few hours. The back 7 aside from maybe Joseph they aren’t physical tacklers 

1 hour ago, hx214 said:

There is very little excuse to be in this situation for Berry.  The linebacker core was rated last in the league going into the season, and that was BEFORE injury. 

Your back up plan at safety is Sandejo? 

The Browns have massive cap space and 9 picks coming this draft. 9 rookies aren't making this team. 

IMO we assumed a two year rebuild.  Go back and watch our defense at the end of last year.  We blamed the Coordinator and rightfully so but we were void of talent as well. Others said well Garrett was out- our backers and secondary were putrid last year too I didn’t need Garrett on or off the field to see that.  Tackling was awful too.

This offseason we drafted our LT and signed RT in hopes giving the QB everything he needed so we could assess his ability to play the position long term. Not a terrible strategy.  But there folks all in this forum saying to draft a tackle, sign a tackle, draft a guard high and for good measure just draft depth there too when The issues on offense last year were largely Baker and the play caller.  

https://www.wkyc.com/article/sports/nfl/browns/browns-2020-trade-deadline-targets/95-ce0c3ed0-498f-4af0-9f95-bb8cb88b7ff6

A lot of good names to consider to bulk up the defense at the trade deadline. It's a great scenario to add a player or two going into the bye as well. Potentially getting a safety like Simmons playing on a franchise tag, and perhaps extending them would be such a nice pick me up. Every season is different, and long-term success is tough. I really hope there's a plan to push some buttons to make our defense better.

1 hour ago, SdBacker80 said:

IMO we assumed a two year rebuild.  Go back and watch our defense at the end of last year.  We blamed the Coordinator and rightfully so but we were void of talent as well. Others said well Garrett was out- our backers and secondary were putrid last year too I didn’t need Garrett on or off the field to see that.  Tackling was awful too.

This offseason we drafted our LT and signed RT in hopes giving the QB everything he needed so we could assess his ability to play the position long term. Not a terrible strategy.  But there folks all in this forum saying to draft a tackle, sign a tackle, draft a guard high and for good measure just draft depth there too when The issues on offense last year were largely Baker and the play caller.  

Ya, but there is no excuse to be in the top 5 year after year in cap space, when your defensive players aren't even middle of the road.  If your in a rebuild that is fine, sign 3 or 4 vets to 2-3 year contracts and put up a damn fight.... This defense is going to cost them a shot at making the playoffs.  Always thinking about next year, when next year is completely uncertain.

On a side note, anybody see Ogbah absolutely destroy Goff on that fumble scoop and score play. Guy has 6 sacks this season too.  Man, that trade was awful.

3 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

There's a narrative on here from some that the Browns focused almost exclusively on offense this year, and will focus on defense next offseason.

That's not entirely true. The Browns used their first rounder on LT Wills, but then used their 2nd rounder and both 3rd rounders on three defensive players.

Unfortunately, all three have missed a lot of time with injuries and have contributed little. 

So, hopefully in their sophomore year they stay healthy and really start contributing. 

Someone ask Yipper to explain how our 2019, 22nd-ranked D was "fucked up" this year on its way to being 19th-ranked.

4 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Dear Dutch...

FIFY... follow the money. It was focused on the O-side... draft, yes, but also FA signings (Conklin)and contract extensions, e.g., Bito...

Yours truly,

A Narrator

3 hours ago, Flugel said:

Let's just hope Myles Garrett's MRI on the knee today doesn't give us bad news.  If so, we're back to watching the same defense we had in his absence last year - and that wasn't very much fun,,,

1 hour ago, SdBacker80 said:

So.... D was not fucked up this year?

4 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Yes and No.

Billings and Delpit IMO were the big loses.   Greedy hasn’t shown a dang thing but that he’s too weak to handle the Pro game.

We tried to replace Vernon - didn’t happen but they made sure they spent enough to sign Conklin?  

We did nothing for our backers aside from losing our best guy but adding a raw late third round prospects and adding an unsigned free agent at the beginning of the year. 

Senedjo and Joseph scream of band aid relief.

Just now, Tour2ma said:

Someone ask Yipper to explain how our 2019, 22nd-ranked D was "fucked up" this year on its way to being 19th-ranked.

Dear Dutch...

FIFY... follow the money. It was focused on the O-side... draft, yes, but also FA signings (Conklin)and contract extensions, e.g., Bito...

Yours truly,

A Narrator

The Defense being “fucked up” is a problem now but it dates back to last year.  I am sorry I didn’t state the obvious.

The game Sunday reminded of the Bengal, 2nd Steeler game, Cardinal game in 2019.  Guys out of place, bad tackling, lack of hustle from some players 

4 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Explain it to me yourself Coward of Crawford County. 

Maybe last year's defense was just as bad, dickless,  Does that mean we should still be doing fuck all to help it out?  As apparently you advocate? You sound like that Republican Senator who advocated "if you are getting raped, just sit back and enjoy it." 

Dear Dutch...

Sure, let's follow the money:  Here is where following it leads us:   The Cleveland Browns currently have the most salary cap space in the NFL with $38.6 million.

Right into Berry's/Jimmy's pockets.  Just because they spent on offense still, to my mind was no reason to go cheap on defense. 

Yours truly,

A Narrator

Its fuckedupness was exasperated this year.  That seems clear.

8 minutes ago, SdBacker80 said:

The Defense being “fucked up” is a problem now but it dates back to last year.  I am sorry I didn’t state the obvious.

The game Sunday reminded of the Bengal, 2nd Steeler game, Cardinal game in 2019.  Guys out of place, bad tackling, lack of hustle from some players 

Can't it be said that "doing nothing"  is a part of fucking a thing up?

4 hours ago, Flugel said:

Let's just hope Myles Garrett's MRI on the knee today doesn't give us bad news.  If so, we're back to watching the same defense we had in his absence last year - and that wasn't very much fun,,,

I don't think I could handle it. 😔

Some places think both Haason Reddick [Cards] and Jarrad Davis [Lions] could be acquired 

Both would be a lot more athletic [Both are 2017 first round LB's] and therefore hopefully able to execute passD than anyone we could get at the equivalent spot in 2021. I wouldn't go any higher but 4th seems doable for both.  Neither are starters and so expectations would have to be low.

Also Justin Reid [S, Texans] because the texans need picks, and Tyquan Lewis [DT, Colts] because he's a starter buried behind Buckner.

8 hours ago, jiggins7919 said:

if obj would have ran that same play against the steelers, he would have got his head ripped off....dallas on defense makes us look like the 85 bears...thats how bad they are...

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, browns52 said:

if obj would have ran that same play against the steelers, he would have got his head ripped off....dallas on defense makes us look like the 85 bears...thats how bad they are...

Yeah, that's true. But it still doesn't change the fact we lost our explosive play maker. Just really hurts and makes me so sad for OBJ. I blew my knee out two years ago and I am not the same. I know the pain that waits for him, and I know the frustration that comes with it. 

Back to the defense...

They’ve now given up more first downs (195) than any defense in the league. They’re also 26th in 3rd down D and 31st on fourth down. 

Jesus.... 

16 hours ago, The Gipper said:

i think we are at the point now that we can say  we can't fix everything in 20 yrs now....hahahahahaaaaaa....its a fucking true fact with this fucked up organization