THE BROWNS BOARD

First depth chart out

titleist585

Any team that has "co-starters" at QB, has no real starter at all..................Testeverde vs old Kosar; Couch vs Holcomb; Frye vs DA............Same old song, same old dance.

Co-starters or not, it has been three seasons and two coaching staffs and Quinn is still not ahead of anderson on the depth chart ... first-rounder Quinn needs to step up and take down 6th rounder Anderson NOW ...

Zombo

--or he's never going to do it.

Guest Masters

It's been 2 seasons for Quinn. This is his 3rd year in the league.

Who says Quinn hasn't distance himself? It's all hersay at this point. They haven't played a down in a live game yet.

It's been 2 seasons for Quinn. This is his 3rd year in the league.

And? Do you think he's going to need a 4th?

Who says Quinn hasn't distance himself?

Eric Mangini.

All I'm saying is that he has two exhibition games to separate himself and be the starter for all-importnat dress rehersal 3rd game.

This is his time. Crunch time. These next two games will shape his career in a big way.

Good luck to him.

Zombo

Zombo, they aren't going to list either as first string until the competition is over, probably during the week between preseason games 1 and 2.

Shep, you had Quinn starting in January.

I know when they will name a starter. I'm just saying all the talking, and speculating, and wonderlicking is over ... crunch time is here.

These next two weeks are crucial.

It's game time.

I'm pumped. Put up or shut up time.

Do it now, Quinnie, or forever hold your piece.

Zombo

1st depth chart and everyone's starting to spin it... Obviously DA still has the hold on the starters spot and Quinn will have to beat him out in camp and the preseason... I can deal with that...

2 areas that have me puzzled are the center and right guard spots... I thought we'd see Tucker at RG, I really did... At center Rogers has been really handling Mack and the youngster is gonna have to pick it up...

All in all, it's the 1st shot at organizing the roster and changes will be made prior to the opening game.....

ps--really liking the twitters from the practice sessions... For out of town fans it gives us more in-depth accountings of what is really going on.... One area I'd like to ask for a little restraint though, is the twitters concerning the QB position... You guys are confusing the shit out of me...

Case in point--- on Andersons interception at the goal line on Sunday...

One poster described it as, Jackson came out of nowhere to make the pick whereas another poster states the receiver was covered and it was an ill advised throw, typical DA........ Two separate posters yet two very different descriptions of the play... PLEASE, more objectivity and less personal bias in the reports-----but a hearty thanks also...

Peace

T.Dawg

It ain't easy to separate from somebody in practices, a scrimmage, and two fake games. Total of, what? Four weeks?

One of you has to really suck, basically. I don't see that happening. It would make life easier on everybody (especially Mangini), but I don't see it happening. I think he's going to have to make an NFL coaching decision with absolutely no guarantees of it being the right choice.

We've had one scrimmage. Aside from one pick by Anderson, it seems like both guys did really well with Quinn just a little better. I just don't know how much "separation" there is to be had, or why the media keeps expecting one guy to be perfect (at 25-ish in a new offense with mostly new receivers) or the other to be horse shit.

My gut says: Both guys continue to look pretty good... and Quinn is named the starter.

That's a good point Shep. Fans I talk to around here are under the impression that both QB's suck and we're in for a long year, all over a few practice sessions. How many QB's around the league are lighting up their camps is what I would like to know. Defenses notoriously are above the offense early on and that's even with teams that have some continuity offensively.

They've got a major roster makeover going on with a new offensive system, plus both guys are coming off injured seasons. This is Quinn's first camp even getting extended first team reps since he's been in the league.

Neither guy has been as bad as portrayed. I see it on Facebook too, people will take an online summary from the PD that neither QB scored in the two minute drill and run with it

Co-starters or not, it has been three seasons and two coaching staffs and Quinn is still not ahead of anderson on the depth chart ... first-rounder Quinn needs to step up and take down 6th rounder Anderson NOW ...

Zombo

--or he's never going to do it.

/agree Zombo...BQs window of time is beginning to close he has to either take command now or step aside for our interception king to reign in a new year of pain for both fans and coaches...;)

OK Shep, seems your choice of Quinn is over riding your most recent fence sitting posts... DA started with the 1st unit on Sunday.... DA is listed as 1st on ther depth chart THENNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN "Obviously DA still has the hold on the starters spot and Quinn will have to beat him out in camp and the preseason"... What did I post that is so out of line???

I realize you are the self-proclaimed QB guru on this board and if Quinn doesn't start it may affect your credibility but to me it's just another position, abiet a very important position, that will be settled prior to the 1st regular game...

Not 1 member of this board will have an input as to who is the starter for the Browns... Mangini and his staff will decide that...

Not 1 fantasy league player will sway Mangini one way or the other regardless if they won their fantasy league last year or not....

As a matter of fact, if the article I read was true, DA must be playing better than what is being reported... I heard that Quinn informed the White defense Sunday what the QB hand signals were all about... If true then the defense knew what play was being run... If the defense knows what is being run the majority of the time they will be able to stop it... Same as in baseball, if the hitter knows what pitch is coming then 7 out of 10 times he'll giver it a ride... If this was true then DA did pretty damn good....

Who plays QB is in no way a reflection of your QB analysis abilities... For the most part I'm in your corner and would also like to see Quinn play so all this crap would end... But as was previously posted, this is the 2nd coaching staff that has yet to annoint BQ the starter, makes you wonder...

Peace

T.Dawg

My take on the QB situation:

Brady hasn't separating himself from Anderson. So, that's why they are both neck and neck in the QB derby. I also think either one of them will eventually step up, and hopefully, it's Quinn.

Honestly the way i see it if BQ cant step it up and take the job and they both stay neck in neck through 2 games of pre-season DA gains the advantage due to having a veterans edge over the benchrot rookie...

Thats not to say mangini wont choose quinn because he may see a higher growth pattern in BQ.. its pretty obvious at this point DA will not develop much more other then perhaps reading defenses a little better as an athlete DA is sort of challenged...;)

Honestly the way i see it if BQ cant step it up and take the job and they both stay neck in neck through 2 games of pre-season DA gains the advantage due to having a veterans edge over the benchrot rookie...

Thats not to say mangini wont choose quinn because he may see a higher growth pattern in BQ.. its pretty obvious at this point DA will not develop much more other then perhaps reading defenses a little better as an athlete DA is sort of challenged...;)

That's true. However, I think DA gets the job if Brady can't step it up. And also in Anderson's favor, if he starts, is the playbook will be tailored to his strengths, which is throwing medium-long intermediate passes and giving the rock to Lewis and also more passes out of the shotgun formation(similar to the playbook Mangini used with the Jets and Favre last year)

However, if Brady wins, the playbook is automatically in his favor. West coast offense, ball control. Throwing short-medium passes and also giving the rock to Lewis.

So that's my take on it.

T, you said, "Obviously Anderson has a hold on the starter's spot," right? Or are you saying you were blitzed out of your mind and didn't mean it?

Given that you meant it, the fact is that he doesn't have ANY hold on the starter's spot, obvious or otherwise. The two are co-starters and Mangini has said he'll pick his starter when he gets around to it, which is probably prior to the third preseason game.

This has nothing to do with me and whether I have fence posts up my ass or whatever the hell nonsense you're blubbering. It has to do with you making a statement that is absolutely, positively false. Neither Quinn nor Anderson has a "hold on the starter's spot."

If you're looking for obvious? There you go. No charge.

I think daddybull1 meant that Mangini is choosing a starter for the first quarter of the first preseason.

1st depth chart and everyone's starting to spin it... Obviously DA still has the hold on the starters spot and Quinn will have to beat him out in camp and the preseason... I can deal with that...

ps--really liking the twitters from the practice sessions... For out of town fans it gives us more in-depth accountings of what is really going on.... One area I'd like to ask for a little restraint though, is the twitters concerning the QB position... You guys are confusing the shit out of me...

Case in point--- on Andersons interception at the goal line on Sunday...

One poster described it as, Jackson came out of nowhere to make the pick whereas another poster states the receiver was covered and it was an ill advised throw, typical DA........ Two separate posters yet two very different descriptions of the play... PLEASE, more objectivity and less personal bias in the reports-----but a hearty thanks also...

Peace

T.Dawg

To clear up your comment on the scrimmage this is what happened: there was man coverage on royal and jackson was playing zone over the middle. DA was locked in the whole time and as royal turned in he let the ball go without ever seeing jackson there. The other person said "he came out of nowhere" which from his point of view might have been. I would not consider the middle of the field 5 yards away from the reciever out of nowhere. I'm sure he was just saying that's what it seemed like to him from his pov. There was no bias DA just sucks in the red zone lol

Guest SoupDawg
The Browns released an unofficial depth chart Tuesday in advance of Saturday's preseason opener in Green Bay, and Derek Anderson and Brady Quinn are listed as co-starters as quarterback.

That's no surprise based on what's happened in camp thus far, and head coach Eric Mangini said the designation was made only because the team had to submit a depth chart for the game. He said he'll wait until later in the week to name a starter for this week and will probably give the starting nod to the quarterback who doesn't start this week for the Aug. 21 game against the Lions.

"Nothing's changed with the quarterbacks," Mangini said. "We had to submit a depth chart. I'll tell those guys before the game who will start, but I want to see how rest of this week goes.

"Whoever starts, the other guy is going to play and we'll probably flip it the next week. (Their work) will be equal in both games. I wanna see what both of them can do with live bullets."

Posting this everytime that stupid picture is posted so Retards can see that DA isn't #1.

Retards

I form an opinion after seeing things unfold but just because I don't agree with your obvious superior football knowledge I'm a Retard???

Go screw yourself son....

And Shep, the QB who started the 1st game of last season also started with the 1st unit on the most significant scrimmage so far this training camp... To me this shows at least a sliver of "hold" on the QB position... Just my opinion, sorry for the blubbering.............

Peace

T.Dawg

I dislike the co-starter thing, for either or both of the following reasons:

1. It means that neither QB has taken control of the team. And I'm not just talking about drills; if one guy clearly has the ear of his teammates more than the other--which presumably the coaches would pick up on--he would be the starter. I don't think this is a "playing possum" thing, as there is absolutely nothing to gain from doing so. The differences between the two QBs aren't so great that the team will go 4-0 before anyone figures out that they need to cover receivers.

2. It suggests that the coaches aren't sure who should be the starter. For God's sake, make a decision, even if it's the wrong one. It's not like anyone is seriously expecting this to be a playoff team, and switching QBs is really easy to do. Look at two years ago: Charlie Frye was clearly the wrong choice, and it took all of a half to get in the right guy. If the starter can't hit the broad side of a barn in the first couple of weeks, then make a switch. Or if it's Quinn, commit to making the switch after another two years so that he'll have adequate time to bring himself up to NFL speed.

Also, kind of surprising not to see more posts complaining about how the current depth chart shows Mangini's reluctance to play young guys or his having too much faith in guys he brought over from his old team. Granted, the Jets were juggernauts, but still.

Dennis

Archived