THE BROWNS BOARD

Here comes the Raiders

BrownsfaninPa

1 hour ago, BrownsfaninPa said:

This will be a very interesting match up. The Raiders not doing all that well, and the Browns are moving along steady. Another win will move us up on the win column and make news as a AFC playoff contender.

Next to the Colts, Ravens and Stoolers..  This is probably one of the better teams we'll face all season.. Derek Carr looks to be having a career year unfolding and theyre Defense has some good players... This match up bothers me a little bit...

1 hour ago, BrownsfaninPa said:

This will be a very interesting match up. The Raiders not doing all that well, and the Browns are moving along steady. Another win will move us up on the win column and make news as a AFC playoff contender.

Very similar to the Colts contest in that we have the chance to step on the throats of an AFC contender, these matchups solve all of the tiebreakers and seedings in late December, early January.

They are similar in that they are a talented offense whose defense gives up a lot of points. The matchup of Waller against our safeties and linebackers is more than a little concerning. Joe Woods better be cooking up something good to get us to the bye with what we have in the secondary. I think Malcolm Smith and Ronnie Harrison will have to come up big on coverage and we obviously need pressure from somewhere other than Myles, maybe cook up a few corner blitzes.

Z

• Upvote 2

The Raiders have played Tom Brady, Patrick Mahomes and Drew Brees this year.  Josh Allen too.  They’ve given up points of course.

Their running game was doing well until one of their key cogs Richie Incognito went out.  They had the Corona scare on their line they will have guys back but Richie I. Is likely out 

Their D coordinator is under heavy scrutiny his back is against the wall he will have a plan for Baker. You get the feeling it’s personnel/scheme/opponents they’ve faced 

Ruggs will be a problem for our Defense but Derek Carr’s ability to hit the underneath stuff and our defenses ability to give that up freely and then YACs by not tackling is a problem. 

We will have our hands full. 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

The Raiders have played Tom Brady, Patrick Mahomes and Drew Brees this year.  Josh Allen too.  They’ve given up points of course.

Their running game was doing well until one of their key cogs Richie Incognito went out.  They had the Corona scare on their line they will have guys back but Richie I. Is likely out 

Their D coordinator is under heavy scrutiny his back is against the wall he will have a plan for Baker. You get the feeling it’s personnel/scheme/opponents they’ve faced 

Ruggs will be a problem for our Defense but Derek Carr’s ability to hit the underneath stuff and our defenses ability to give that up freely and then YACs by not tackling is a problem. 

We will have our hands full. 

We had a lot of problems trying to neuter Cincys offense... The task gets harder this week... I would love to see Sendejo not play this game... He reminds me of "TOAST"

EDIT: "Burnt Toast" That is...

• Upvote 2

Just now, nickers said:

We had a lot of problems trying to neuter Cincys offense... The task gets harder this week... I would love to see Sendejo not play this game... He reminds me of "TOAST"

Pressure is a must.  Carr has never handled it well.  

Maybe we get lucky and an Off coordinator decides to not openly attack Sendejo and our backers because It doesn’t look like we are making a move away from Sendejo. 

Listening to Bull and the Fox on the way home from work, and they mentioned that Oakland's defense is somehow rated worse than Cincinnati's, and actually were at the #31 spot overall. 

Fight through this game, and get a well-deserved bye week. 

8 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

Maybe we get lucky and an Off coordinator decides to not openly attack Sendejo and our backers because It doesn’t look like we are making a move away from Sendejo. 

Pendejo needs to be benched or pushed down to the end of the roster...

8 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

Ruggs vs Sendejo = Burnt Toast. I say they get at least on TD bomb to Ruggs. Darren Waller is also a problem, this game has trap written all over it. 

5 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Someone needs to remind me again as to who we have to replace Sendejo.

I don't know... but we better find someone quick...

Raiders are coming to town with:

• the #16 passing Offense... 1726 yards.
  • an 8.2 YPA average, good for T-4th in the league... impressive in light of Carr's well deserved, "check-down" reputation... in part the addition of Ruggs at WR is credited with this change.
  • only 11 sacks yielded, good for T-10 with KC and us.
  • the #25 rush offense... 681 yards.
  • a 4.0 YPC average, good for T-22

Defensively...

• #22 pass D allowing 1703 total yards.
  • T-13th in passing TDs allowed with 11.
  • 7 sacks, T-28th...
  • 3 INTs, T-23rd.
  • the #13 rush D allowing 719 yards...
  • ... but they allow 4.6 YPC, T-20th.

26 minutes ago, nickers said:

I don't know... but we better find someone quick...

Ah...

From the condemning posts I would have sworn we had a better option... even if it was only playing 10 on Defense.

12 hours ago, nickers said:

Next to the Colts, Ravens and Stoolers..  This is probably one of the better teams we'll face all season.. Derek Carr looks to be having a career year unfolding and theyre Defense has some good players... This match up bothers me a little bit...

Yeah,  hard to believe that the Raiiiders would be a good game going into game 8.

Just like who would believe that the BROWNS would be 5-2 with a shot at 6-2 going into the bye week.

GO BROWNS,  a win and 6-2 would be sweet...... baby !      :D

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Marvin the Martian said:

Addition by subtraction

Prolly works better on Mars... ;)

Meanwhile let's look at relative healths...

At least our list is getting shorter.

image.png.3be10ec296f5d0913a395d5cdff4624c.png

LVR looks pretty healthy...

image.png.54bbb269cc3ff055d314cf841706ba4f.png

... but a couple good ones are on their IR list...

image.thumb.png.5aabf070c9cc2b5f7596c91e942cf98b.png

I feel pretty good about the Browns winning - more than the Bengals. I was concerned about that one.

offhand, I think this sums up the situation pretty well:

ranking of the defenses. The offenses are very similar, except the raiders do have one tall wr - a rookie that's 6'3", first round pick.

The defenses - Cleveland has a huge upper hand.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-rankings-ranking-all-32-defenses-ahead-of-nfl-week-6-2020

17. CLEVELAND BROWNS

Looking solely at cornerbacks in single coverage, there is only one CB tandem that ranks in the top 15 in coverage grade on such reps: Cleveland’s Denzel Ward and Terrance Mitchell. Those two have helped Cleveland post the fourth-best outside-corner coverage grade this year. The safety unit, however, has been far from that level as Cleveland’s safeties have combined to produce the 24th-ranked coverage grade at the position. Prior to Ronnie Harrison’s strong Week 5 (80.1 coverage grade), the Browns were 30th in the same metric. Cleveland also has easily one of the three best edge rushers in the NFL in Myles Garrett — he joins T.J. Watt and Khalil Mack as the only edge defenders to earn a 90.0-plus grade in 2020, and he actually leads the position in pass-rush grade at 91.0.

27. LAS VEGAS RAIDERS

The Las Vegas offense has been rolling under Jon Gruden, and the unit's aggressive approach in Week 5 helped the team beat the defending Super Bowl champions. The defense, however, is still among the worst in the NFL. By expected points added per play allowed, the Raiders ranked 31st in 2017, 32nd in 2018 and 32nd in 2019. So far this year, they have made a modest improvement to 27th.

Cornerback Trayvon Mullen flashed his potential in Week 3 against New England when he posted a 92.7 coverage grade and four pass breakups, but he hasn’t been able to come close to that in any of the other four games. Rookie Damon Arnette didn’t look all that great in his three games played, allowing 10 catches on 11 targets for 201 yards and one touchdown.

On the bright side, linebacker Nick Kwiatkoski is looking exactly as he did when filling in for the Bears in 2019 and ranks eighth at the position in PFF grade. In addition, edge rusher Clelin Ferrell is on the path to a Year 2 breakout, as he ranks 12th at his position in PFF grade.

On 10/27/2020 at 5:05 PM, Tour2ma said:

Someone needs to remind me again as to who we have to replace Sendejo.

This argument is weaker and weaker after each passing week. 

Is he a cap buster? No. So this isn’t a situation where economic realities step in the way of just cutting him.

Could you bench him And find another guy marginally better? Yes and I’d say yes to the second part.   I shook off his play being just a case of having a bad week early on.

Browns fans are conditioned to think the way you are thinking with that post.  We are 5-2, a blown coverage may cost a playoff spot not like most years where it’s just another L and now a 2-14 record and a better pick. 

I admit I thought this was a solid signing.  And then after COVID (I think he signed prior to covid) I was on the sign all the vets you can bandwagon in case of outbreaks.  He also played decently well when I watched Minnesota games. He’s not comfortable here with this defense and maybe Father Time is catching up 

As a dude who in 1993 got to watch in person Eric Metcalf high step into the end zone for the win against the Raiders, I know that whenever they meet, it's usually a crazy game with the Browns having their hands full.... to say the very least. 

This game worries me. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, SdBacker80 said:
  1. This argument is weaker and weaker after each passing week. 
  2. Is he a cap buster? No. So this isn’t a situation where economic realities step in the way of just cutting him.
  3. Could you bench him And find another guy marginally better? Yes and I’d say yes to the second part.   I shook off his play being just a case of having a bad week early on.
  4. Browns fans are conditioned to think the way you are thinking with that post.  We are 5-2, a blown coverage may cost a playoff spot not like most years where it’s just another L and now a 2-14 record and a better pick.
  1. And yet I noticed you did not offer a name.
  2. And replace him with?
  3. And his replacement is?
  4. Which way of thinking is that? Reasoned? Analytical? Realistic? As for Playoffs... I've already said making them is just gravy on our 2020 season. If we blow a coverage and allow a TD, just means the Offense, the side of the ball we invested in this year, has to score one more TD than they'd otherwise have had to do that week. That's who we are this season.

2 hours ago, D Bone said:

As a dude who in 1993 got to watch in person Eric Metcalf high step into the end zone for the win against the Raiders, I know that whenever they meet, it's usually a crazy game with the Browns having their hands full.... to say the very least. 

This game worries me. 

That game in Oakland in Baker's rookie season (his first NFL start?) was an odd one, for sure.

4 hours ago, D Bone said:

I remember this game. I was at the Browns Backer Bar with my Pops and I want to say we ran it in on 3rd or 4th down with hardly any time left. I remember it being a very ballsy call to dial up an outside run and the entire bar went nuts and chugged their beers. I loved it! 

For the win! 

4 hours ago, Tour2ma said:
  1. And yet I noticed you did not offer a name.
  2. And replace him with?
  3. And his replacement is?
  4. Which way of thinking is that? Reasoned? Analytical? Realistic? As for Playoffs... I've already said making them is just gravy on our 2020 season. If we blow a coverage and allow a TD, just means the Offense, the side of the ball we invested in this year, has to score one more TD than they'd otherwise have had to do that week. That's who we are this season.

I don’t have time to name the all. And I’d even go first or second year guy off the scrap heap.  Could they possibly be out of position more??? And they are likely to be more fluid and athletic. 

3 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

That game in Oakland in Baker's rookie season (his first NFL start?) was an odd one, for sure.

Bitter sweet game.

Refs were atrocious. The overturned spot??? 

I thought Chubb was Byner reincarnated

I was going to go to the game but my wife wanted me around and didn’t want me to die in the black hole.  She’d probably reconsider that right now lol.

• Haha 1

Weird vs. OAK is right... and it started with our first meeting in Oakland in 1970.

I can remember us knocking Daryl Lamonica out of the game and old, George Blanda trotting onto the field to lead the Raiders to a come from behind win.

But will it be as weird vs. the LV Raiders?

We had a habit of losing to vet backups that came of the bench back in those days. Happened against St. Louis a couple times when Charlie Johnson subbed for Jim Hart. Got so that when my Dad and I saw the opposing QB was slow to get up that we'd urge him to do so... and groan if he didn't.

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, D Bone said:

This game worries me. 

I think that was on 4th & goal? Metcalf scored 4 TDs in that win, yay.