THE BROWNS BOARD

Let's Go Fire-Sale and PS Shopping...

Tour2ma

While there are potential fire sales brewing in NYC (Jets and Giants) and DAL and WSH and ATL and HOU...

In another thread tia brought up the Jets' FS, Marcus Maye... we both loved him in his draft class... but I'd settle for their rookie SS, Ashtyn Davis. Problem is that unless they are making a lot of noise behind the scenes about wanting out, then these are not the type of players teams, who are heading into a deep rebuild, "dump". Teams dump long-in-the-tooth vets with big salaries, not young building blocks... still... never hurts to ask.

Ourlads has very user friendly depth charts you can page thru... https://www.ourlads.com/nfldepthcharts/depthchart/WAS

NOTE: Names appearing in ALL CAPS indicate players who are 30 or older... A/K/A prime targets.

Other players who could be "on sale" with my favorite, realistic targets in bold...

• NYJ: Frank Gore (RB); Crowder (WR); Maye (FS); Davis (SS)
  • NYG: Austin Mack (WR); Shane LeMieux (OG); Peppers (SS)
  • ATL: Gage (WR); Gurley/Hill/Smith (RB); Grady Jarrett (DT)
  • WSH: McKissic (RB); Scherff???(RG); Kerrigan!!! (DE); Davis!!! (OLB)
  • HOU: Duke Johnson/CJ Prosise (RB); Cobb/Stills (WR); Brandon Cooks! (WR); Whitney Mercillus (DE)
  • DAL: none...

Summary Notes:

• RB: Gore -  the man just keeps runnin', would be a great vet addition to the RB room, can spell Hunt and great insurance even after Chubb's return. Duke - HOU had buyer's remorse, big time, despite Duke performing right in line with the numbers he put up in CLE... he can still "do it" at that level... and can't you see the possibilities of Hunt and Duke on field at the same time?
  • WR: Some possibles, but none I'd pursue. Part of this decision tree is OBJ's future with us... if we decide he does not have one, then HOU's Cook makes a lot of sense. However, if we decide OBJ has a future (and I think he does), then I do not see adding a WR via trade.
  • OL: I doubt Scherff is available, but if he were he would not come cheap... start with Teller and add pieces...
  • DE: Kerrigan... no longer a starter, but already has 4 sacks this season. I'll take a year or two of him opposite MG at a discount price, but... he's as close to Mr. WSH Football Team as there is at present, so would they trade him? Mercilus... HOU ain't trading Watt... not to us anyway (just pray that he does not openly wish to join his lil brahs in u-know-where... HOU would very likely honor that request and the fan base would ultimately understand)... Whitney M would not be a bad consolation prize. Yes, he's a 3-4 SAM-OLB, but at 260# he can set an edge and converts speed to power in his rush. Same mold as Kerrigan.
  • DT: ATL's Grady Jarrett... Penetrating stalwart in the middle... might be too dear to ATL Org to deal him, but would be worth a shot.
  • LB: Precious few... in fact only one... jumped at me... Thomas Davis. Came over from LAC to rejoin Rivera in DC. Not the player he was, but he'd still upgrade our LB room and be its instant role model.

That said... even sales aren't "free". Teams are going to want picks and/or prospects in return.

So let's look at PS where the price is only a roster spot at a pro-rated, league-minimum salary.

I'll do that in my next post...

Here's a handy PS reference: https://www.footballdb.com/transactions/practice-squads.html

A few PSers caught my eye including vets that seem to be more prevalent on PSs than has been the case in prior years:

• QB: Kurt Benkert (ATL)
  • RB: Lamar Miller (CHI); THEO RIDDICK (LVR); Kalen Ballage (LAC); D'Onta Foreman (TN)
  • WR: Damion Ratley/Devin Smith (HOU); Binjimin Victor (NYG)
  • OL:

• DL: Benito Jones (DT-MIA); Will Clarke/ Anthony Zettel (DE-NO); Damon Harrison (DT-SEA)
  • LB:
  • Safety:

I will buy the most expensive hooker Cleveland has to offer if Barry manages to bring Benkert on board.

Still waiting to hear about that Marcus Maye phone call.     Cooks (HOU) an interesting vertical target, doubt the Texans part with anymore weapons in order to prevent pissing off their QB.

Two for just a little or hardly no investment

Sean Lee LB Cowboys.  Possibly back from Hernia Surgery. 34 but highly productive.  Instinctive.  Can probably pick up a defense quickly. Plays well in coverage.

Eric Weddle. FS.  Free Agent.  If he’s stayed in shape He can do better than Sendejo. Maybe he wants a shot at another playoff run 

13 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

That said... even sales aren't "free". Teams are going to want picks and/or prospects in return.

Kerrigan. Sweet baby Jesus, if I have to endure much more of watching Olivier Vernon get his ass dominated, I'm going to go insane (well, more insane). Sometimes Garrett will have THREE people blocking him and there's NOBODY ELSE making a play!! This has really been the primary failure of this front office, and to watch the effing Ravens get Yannick for a 3rd rounder....it just kills. That literally would have been the perfect addition. 

Had been musing about going after Carlos Dunlap in the Cinci game thread...

Just now, Tour2ma said:

... and now Carlos is a Seahawk...

Cincinnati Bengals trade Carlos Dunlap to Seattle Seahawks

CINCINNATI -- The Bengals' career sack leader is on the move.

Veteran defensive end Carlos Dunlap has been traded to the Seattle Seahawks for offensive lineman B.J. Finney and a seventh-round pick in the 2021 NFL draft, it was announced Wednesday.

The Seahawks' defense has allowed the most yards of any team through six games in NFL history, and their pass rush has been a primary issue. The unit has only nine sacks through six games and didn't even register an official hit on Kyler Murray during an overtime loss to the Arizona Cardinals on Sunday night.

Due to having to go through COVID-19 protocols, the earliest Dunlap could make his Seahawks debut is Week 9 at Buffalo.

"I'm not going to lie, I'm nervous as hell but I'm excited," Dunlap said on Instagram story about joining the Seahawks. "... It's all up from here. It's all up from here. Let's go. I get to play. Above all, I get to play."

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/30208585/cincinnati-bengals-trade-carlos-dunlap-seattle-seahawks-source-says

51 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

Seahawks can't win a title with that defense.

At some point they have to some somebody and their front office realizes that.

Yup...

I think SEA was stunned when they could not get Clowney to re-up...

... and while Dunlap is no Clowney (not to mention that they are more than one good DE away from being a good D) he'll help.

At 5-2 and a real shot for a playoff appearance, I would expect the FO to at least try to plug one of the holes on the biggest weakness of the team.... can't give away the future for a present day Band-Aid, but there has to be at least 1 dude out there who could come in and fill an immediate need on D.  

25 minutes ago, D Bone said:

At 5-2 and a real shot for a playoff appearance, I would expect the FO to at least try to plug one of the holes on the biggest weakness of the team.... can't give away the future for a present day Band-Aid, but there has to be at least 1 dude out there who could come in and fill an immediate need on D.  

Yes. This. Yesterday would’ve been better than tomorrow. 

8 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Yup...

I think SEA was stunned when they could not get Clowney to re-up...

... and while Dunlap is no Clowney (not to mention that they are more than one good DE away from being a good D) he'll help.

Then Dunlap must really suck, because Clowney has all of 0 sacks and 10 tackles in the 7 games he's played in this season. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Then Dunlap must really suck, because Clowney has all of 0 sacks and 10 tackles in the 7 games he's played in this season. 

Not sure where you get your stats, but since they are incomplete anyway, I don't need to know...

image.png.87f4070b9e3b40c0bbb41b279a47a0c8.png

Don't forget this stat sheet - sortable updated list of pressures/hurries/knockdowns.  In a shocking twist, Richardson is our second-most productive DL.

Vernon has the same number of pressures and knockdowns, one more hurry, and one less sack than Dunlap.  Links go to PFF.. Vernon's 2 points higher.  Summary: Browns shouldn't trade Olivier Vernon.. because Dunlap disappoints the Bengals by not being able to stop the run as well as the UDFA they started in his place even before they traded him.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Had been musing about going after Carlos Dunlap in the Cinci game thread...

Dunlap was immensely unhappy (mostly because he lost his starting job and was demoted) in Cinci, and wanted out. Yelling at a coach and putting his house up for sale (before the trade) it was on Twitter I believe.  It's called unloading an unhappy player and locker room distraction. The Bengals certainly needed o-line help to keep Burrow intact. A win\win for both teams.  

5 hours ago, hx214 said:

I just read that the Giants signed Jaabal Sheard off the Jags practice squad, after he played in the last Jags game and had 3 QB pressures on 15 snaps....

3 QB pressures might be more than Vernon has had all season....

Sheard? Same guy we had way back? They must have changed the PS rules this year- he shouldn't have been eligible- years ago under the old rules.... 

34 minutes ago, hoorta said:

Dunlap was immensely unhappy (mostly because he lost his starting job and was demoted) in Cinci, and wanted out. Yelling at a coach and putting his house up for sale (before the trade) it was on Twitter I believe.  It's called unloading an unhappy player and locker room distraction. The Bengals certainly needed o-line help to keep Burrow intact. A win\win for both teams.  

Sheard? Same guy we had way back? They must have changed the PS rules this year- he shouldn't have been eligible- years ago under the old rules.... 

Ya, guess the Jags tried to do something tricky and had him on PS, some kind of COVID thing. Jags forum was pretty pissed at GM

PS rules are very different this year...

25 minutes ago, Icecube said:

Team already made Duke hate them. He wanted out of Cleveland in the worst way. Gore is nearing 50 years-old. Lee is a perpetual injury waiting to happen. What about Poe to add to DL beef?

Duke wasn't happy, but that was with a different staff and F.O.

Gore still can run and run hard... guy is amazing.

Agree on Lee... really good LB, but just not available enough.

Poe? He generates zero in the pass rush, so why add a situational run-stuffer to a DL that's already pretty good against the run? Worley on the other hand who da 'Boyz are also apparently letting go might be of interest. Young CB, but has Safety size...

Still don't know what the love is/was for Ngakoue -- he's a younger Adrian Clayborn.. will get you a couple sacks in garbage time but defends the run less than Dunlap.

If that link is TLDR : Ngakoue's run D grade this season is 38.2.  That's no bueno.  If you get pissed watching Vernon, you simply aren't watching Vernon against the run.  Can't simply assume "pass rush" is the only quality of a player.

And as if all that wasn't enough.. Vernon had the ab injury earlier this season which caused him to have a groin last game.  This affects his explosiveness.

We already have on the roster the best replacement for Vernon we'd find in a trade/FA.. Porter Gustin.. and I think we can all agree he's not as good.

1 hour ago, hoorta said:

Yes, they changed PS squad rules (and IR) for this COVID season.  Josh McCown is on a PS.

6 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Not sure where you get your stats, but since they are incomplete anyway, I don't need to know...

image.png.87f4070b9e3b40c0bbb41b279a47a0c8.png

I got them from Pro Football Reference. 10 solo tackles, 4 assisted tackles, 1 forced fumble, 0 sacks. 

On 10/26/2020 at 5:12 PM, Tour2ma said:

ATL: Gage (WR); Gurley/Hill/Smith (RB); Grady Jarrett (DT)

I would really like Grady Jarrett and I know these 3 guys don't fit your over 30 but maybe contract wise they would want to get rid of deion Jones or Dante fowler Jr. My ideal pickup from this roster though if he were available would be the safety Keanu Neal. He is on last year of his deal and maybe they don't know if they can resign him so would trade him for a decent price. One can dream. 

Again I know those 3 don't typically fit fire sale players but it sure would be nice lol.

Apparently some think that NE can be added to the list of teams holding fire sales... personally I doubt it as of today, but if they lose to BUF this week, then...

https://dawgpounddaily.com/2020/10/30/cleveland-browns-3-trade-targets-patriots/

Targets listed are:

• EDGE John Simon

• WR Jakobi Meyers

• One of their CBs: Gilmore - Jackson - Jones - Williams

On the D-side I am generally skeptical of Pats players. They have such well-defined roles suited to their skill set within Bill's D-machine. Bring them to another team where they are asked to do something different and you don't end up with the player you thought you were getting.

That said the one player that would be the exception here would be Gilmore.

O-side? Don't know Meyers... don't care... WR is not a priority IMO and certainly not just another guy...