THE BROWNS BOARD

Coincidence Baker improved after OBJ left the game?

Icecube

I don't think so. Without OBJ always nearly freaking out, Baker found his groove and just threw the ball to the open man. 

I believe the Browns will now become the sum of their parts, instead of being lesser than the sum of their parts. 

This very well could be a season-changing moment. 

9 minutes ago, Icecube said:

I don't think so. Without OBJ always nearly freaking out, Baker found his groove and just threw the ball to the open man. 

I believe the Browns will now become the sum of their parts, instead of being lesser than the sum of their parts. 

This very well could be a season-changing moment. 

That isn't OBJ's fault, Baker can't just force it to the best receiver he has.  Ben did it plenty with Antonio Brown and it was a detriment to his game even tho Brown was at the top of the wr heap at the time. Further more it seems like there are several reports that OBJ had a positive effect on that game with a speech and he was pissed the week prior because you got stomped.  Now you certainly don't have him drawing coverage and you can bet your ass he drew plenty of it.

• Upvote 3

59 minutes ago, Vagitron said:

That isn't OBJ's fault, Baker can't just force it to the best receiver he has.  Ben did it plenty with Antonio Brown and it was a detriment to his game even tho Brown was at the top of the wr heap at the time. Further more it seems like there are several reports that OBJ had a positive effect on that game with a speech and he was pissed the week prior because you got stomped.  Now you certainly don't have him drawing coverage and you can bet your ass he drew plenty of it.

But what happened after OBJ was out? 5 TDs. They were a different team, Baker was a different QB. A MUCH better QB. In the 1st half, many were saying that Baker was simply terrible. Then, like magic, he went on a tear. I believe now this team can beat even good teams, not just the low level ones. 

16 minutes ago, Icecube said:

But what happened after OBJ was out? 5 TDs. They were a different team, Baker was a different QB. A MUCH better QB. In the 1st half, many were saying that Baker was simply terrible. Then, like magic, he went on a tear. I believe now this team can beat even good teams, not just the low level ones. 

One game at a time bud!

6 hours ago, Vagitron said:

Agree... it's the star WR conundrum for his QB, OC and HC.

Good to see another who recognizes that we just lost our #1 WR and what that means.

Congrats on your narrow Nashville escape... if that FG was 10 feet to its left, then I don't think there'd be any undefeated, NFL teams today.

Good luck this week keeping the corks in the '72 Fins' champagne bottles... I think you're going to need it.

There is no question that having OBJ out will effect the offense game plan. Weather he was making plays or not, he has a presence on the field that concerns the defense on the field. Now that he is out, the rest of our WR, & TE 's will have to come up big if Baker is going to spread the ball to an open receiver.

• Thanks 1

The pressure he feels to get his big name star receiver involved is off him. Despite what people on here that fancy themselves gurus say, mayfield definitely felt that pressure and repeatedly tried to force that result with, at best, mixed results. 

Now he can comfortably share the ball around. We shall see what the results are soon enough 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, BrownsfaninPa said:

There is no question that having OBJ out will effect the offense game plan. Weather he was making plays or not, he has a presence on the field that concerns the defense on the field. Now that he is out, the rest of our WR, & TE 's will have to come up big if Baker is going to spread the ball to an open receiver.

Yes he did. They would cover him like a blanket and baker would try to get it to him anyway. Now they will have to cover everyone carefully because there won't be that, like, 50% chance baker is going to throw to that one guy. 

Guess what all the sports shows are covering today? Plenty analysts are saying the LOSS of OBJ makes the Browns (and Baker) better. Both Colin Cowherd and Doug Gottlieb said with OBJ on the field, Baker is always looking for him, and it hurts continuity. But without OBJ, there is a much more natural flow in the offense and passing game. 

Colin warns that is was vs. Cinci, so you have to keep that in mind. But I believe the absence of OBJ will make this team what many envisioned before the season started. Now I can see the playoffs as very realistic. 

6 hours ago, BrownsfaninPa said:

Yea, and the team will be better without OBJ. 

3 hours ago, Icecube said:

Guess what all the sports shows are covering today? Plenty analysts are saying the LOSS of OBJ makes the Browns (and Baker) better. Both Colin Cowherd and Doug Gottlieb said with OBJ on the field, Baker is always looking for him, and it hurts continuity. But without OBJ, there is a much more natural flow in the offense and passing game. 

Colin warns that is was vs. Cinci, so you have to keep that in mind. But I believe the absence of OBJ will make this team what many envisioned before the season started. Now I can see the playoffs as very realistic. 

So then it’s OBJ’s fault? No it isn’t. It’s really Bakers fault for having the mindset that he had to force the ball to him instead of just including him as a normal part of the offense 

19 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Agree... it's the star WR conundrum for his QB, OC and HC.

Good to see another who recognizes that we just lost our #1 WR and what that means.

Congrats on your narrow Nashville escape... if that FG was 10 feet to its left, then I don't think there'd be any undefeated, NFL teams today.

Good luck this week keeping the corks in the '72 Fins' champagne bottles... I think you're going to need it.

The titans were dominated in the first half and got lucky ball bounces in the second.  It's the nature of NFL football.  If he kicked that field goal the game is tied and then it's anyone's ball game.  The fact of the matter is, those are sometimes games the Steelers lose and they didn't and that is a testament to the team.  I could say if Ray Ray Mcloud only cut right instead of left he would have returned that punt for a touchdown.  Woulda, coulda, shoulda.  6-0

and yes OBJ is a massive loss to the browns, anyone suggesting otherwise isn't thinking clearly.  Fantasy football has ruined a lot of people on football evaluation. 

EDIT: you thought the steelers were going to need it against Tenn and they were throttled in the first half.  The only reason they didn't stay throttled can be attributed to crazy ball bounces. Now heading to Baltimore who is 31st or 32nd in passing and 1st in rushing.  We aren't a good match up for the Ravens just as we weren't a good match up for the titans despite the late game theatrics.  Don't make me start calling you gipper zero.

14 minutes ago, Vagitron said:

The titans were dominated in the first half and got lucky ball bounces in the second.  It's the nature of NFL football.  If he kicked that field goal the game is tied and then it's anyone's ball game.  The fact of the matter is, those are sometimes games the Steelers lose and they didn't and that is a testament to the team.  I could say if Ray Ray Mcloud only cut right instead of left he would have returned that punt for a touchdown.  Woulda, coulda, shoulda.  6-0

and yes OBJ is a massive loss to the browns, anyone suggesting otherwise isn't thinking clearly.  Fantasy football has ruined a lot of people on football evaluation. 

EDIT: you thought the steelers were going to need it against Tenn and they were throttled in the first half.  The only reason they didn't stay throttled can be attributed to crazy ball bounces. Now heading to Baltimore who is 31st or 32nd in passing and 1st in rushing.  We aren't a good match up for the Ravens just as we weren't a good match up for the titans despite the late game theatrics.  Don't make me start calling you gipper zero.

There is a reason that your name is partially a female sexual organ.

• Haha 1

Our offense will be easier to defend without OBJ on the field.  Landry will now be seeing their top corner.  And they can shade more coverage towards Higgins or Hodge (or even DPJ).

OBJ's loss has a ripple effect right down the receiving lineup.  

With our best TE and our best RB out we're damned lucky we had some depth at those spots or we'd be totally dead in the water.

All I can say is.. This is pretty impressive for a guy who supposedly sucks...

"Here is a little of Bakers stats, 37 games, 64 TDs 42 int 8900 yards not bad for 3 years"

Baker Mayfield finds it ‘completely insensitive’ for anyone to suggest he’s better off without Odell Beckham Jr.

Updated 1:50 PM; Today 12:18 PM By Mary Kay Cabot, cleveland.com

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- Browns quarterback Baker Mayfield refused to entertain the notion that he’s better off without Odell Beckham Jr., who suffered a season-ending torn ACL during Sunday’s 37-34 victory over the Bengals.

"One, I think it’s just completely insensitive to a guy who just tore his ACL,'' he said. "So I’m not even going to comment on it. You never want to lose guys. That’s where I’m going to leave that one.''

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2020/10/baker-mayfield-finds-it-completely-insensitive-for-anyone-to-suggest-hes-better-off-without-odell-beckham-jr.html

22 hours ago, Vagitron said:

Call me what you like, Homer.... "Lucky bounces"???

Excepting TN's 2nd-Qtr, 12-play TD-drive, a rather sizeable exception, yes, you dominated early... to a degree I did not think you would... but then you did not.

TN's 2nd half may have been a couple clicks short of "dominant", but they were the only candidate for that adjective. You had one drive... and it ended in an endzone INT. TN then drove 67 yards to set up the game-losing miss.

TN had the momentum to win in OT had the kick been 10 feet to the left. That was obvious.

Like I said... you finally played someone and came away with a road win. Not trying to minimize that... but not ready to hand you the AFCN crown quite yet...

... and neither are the Ravens. ;)

I only wish they'd moved the game to the late afternoon slot so I could watch it live. Ought to be a war...

Maybe I'll get lucky and we'll make the Sunday Ticket 4-game mix channel as we both did this past Sunday.

1 hour ago, Tour2ma said:

Baker Mayfield finds it ‘completely insensitive’ for anyone to suggest he’s better off without Odell Beckham Jr.

Updated 1:50 PM; Today 12:18 PM By Mary Kay Cabot, cleveland.com

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- Browns quarterback Baker Mayfield refused to entertain the notion that he’s better off without Odell Beckham Jr., who suffered a season-ending torn ACL during Sunday’s 37-34 victory over the Bengals.

"One, I think it’s just completely insensitive to a guy who just tore his ACL,'' he said. "So I’m not even going to comment on it. You never want to lose guys. That’s where I’m going to leave that one.''

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2020/10/baker-mayfield-finds-it-completely-insensitive-for-anyone-to-suggest-hes-better-off-without-odell-beckham-jr.html

ION.jpg