THE BROWNS BOARD

DPJ

MLD Woody

Three targets... three catches...

I believe that is a Browns record for consecutive catches by a former Wolverine...

Today they did surely...

... Let the Peoples go.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

Who needs OBJ ?  :huh:

He's nothing but a loser and a distraction.. I hope we trade his skank ass...

• Confused 1

Announcers said he had 0 catches on the season. Immediately gets the first one, later another... And a huge game-winning touchdown. 

Not the best KR-PR, but damn did he make a play today

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Nero said:

Announcers said he had 0 catches on the season. Immediately gets the first one, later another... And a huge game-winning touchdown. 

Not the best KR-PR, but damn did he make a play today

I don't get why people say he is so slow.  He ran a 4.48 40 preparing for draft. He was such a great pick in the 6th round. Low risk with a ton of potential at wr. at a minimum he has plenty of return experience which is of value in the later rounds

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, bjh2130 said:

I don't get why people say he is so slow.  He ran a 4.48 40 preparing for draft. He was such a great pick in the 6th round. Low risk with a ton of potential at wr. at a minimum he has plenty of return experience which is of value in the later rounds

I didn't say he is slow. All I'm saying is that he's not making any returns to say that he's a good KR-PR in the 7 games he has had to prove it. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Nero said:

I didn't say he is slow. All I'm saying is that he's not making any returns to say that he's a good KR-PR in the 7 games he has had to prove it. 

No I know you didn't I'm referring to the tavern where everyone always says it. He's been our returner for 3 games I believe. Our defense rarely forces punts so he doesn't get a chance get often there and kickoffs in the nfl are rarely returned because people can just kick through end zone. The one thing he has done well on the few punts he has returned is he minimizes roll distance and has fielded bouncing punts cleanly saving a lot of yards in field position. I specifically remember him doing so on two punts that I can recall. 

Edit 

I looked up his return stats he only has 4 punt returns for 24 yards (note two of those were just saving field position on bouncing balls) with a long of 13. He has fair caught 3 punts. He has 12 kick returns for 261 yards (avg 22 yards) with a long of 32. No fumbles or muff punts. 

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, bjh2130 said:

Well, he doesn't exactly appear to be very "sudden" when he returns kicks, but when called upon today he stepped up in crunch time and delivered. 

13 minutes ago, bjh2130 said:

No I know you didn't I'm referring to the tavern where everyone always says it. He's been our returner for 3 games I believe. Our defense rarely forces punts so he doesn't get a chance get often there and kickoffs in the nfl are rarely returned because people can just kick through end zone. The one thing he has done well on the few punts he has returned is he minimizes roll distance and has fielded bouncing punts cleanly saving a lot of yards in field position. I specifically remember him doing so on two punts that I can recall. 

Edit 

I looked up his return stats he only has 4 punt returns for 24 yards (note two of those were just saving field position on bouncing balls) with a long of 13. He has fair caught 3 punts. He has 12 kick returns for 261 yards (avg 22 yards) with a long of 32. No fumbles or muff punts. 

So... not great stats. 

4 minutes ago, Neo said:

Congrats to Peoples-Jones on the game winning catch. What about Higgins? He's always produced, has great chemistry with Baker, and has been buried in the doghouse? WHY? Typical Cleveland bullshit.

He has been relegated to the bench with two different coaching staffs (both with very different styles) so you got to think there's something up with him. Doesn't run proper routes? Practices poorly? Personality problem? It has been an ongoing question on the Redzone on STO, and no one seems to be able to figure it out. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Nero said:

So... not great stats. 

And.....  not bad stats.  Again saving 20 plus yards in punts bouncing is huge.  Kick returns are so dependent on blocking. Securing the ball safely in the best field position possible is the main goal of both and he has done fine at that in both in the 3-4 games he's been a returner for us.

Those stats in previous post were prior to today. After today he is currently 12th in league in avg return per kickoff and 5th in kick return yards

1 hour ago, bjh2130 said:

I don't get why people say he is so slow. 

He looks slow... some players are like that.

Some really are slow while others have that "deceptive speed".

In my playing days I was deceptively slow...

57 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

He has been relegated to the bench with two different coaching staffs (both with very different styles) so you got to think there's something up with him. Doesn't run proper routes? Practices poorly? Personality problem? It has been an ongoing question on the Redzone on STO, and no one seems to be able to figure it out. 

Yup... it's called being a "developmental player"... pretty common with Day 3 draft picks. Which starter was he going displace?

Now he has the opportunity... good start on making something of it today, but more to be done.

14 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Yup... it's called being a "developmental player"... pretty common with Day 3 draft picks. Which starter was he going displace?

Now he has the opportunity... good start on making something of it today, but more to be done.

We were talking about Higgins, not DJP.

How he went from being important to Baker during his #6's rookie season, but then finding himself buried on the bench the next season and most of this one. 

1 hour ago, Dutch Oven said:

The only thing I've heard was from the Browns Daily hosts who said he's been a little lost out there. Maybe he's not up on his playbook. 

12 minutes ago, jiggins7919 said:

The only thing I've heard was from the Browns Daily hosts who said he's been a little lost out there. Maybe he's not up on his playbook. 

If the kid has solid hands and becomes a good possession WR... It's win win for us...  Brian Brennan wasn't really fast or big.. And caught everything thrown his way...

• Upvote 1

So JoJo Natson is just under 5'7" and ran a 4.46, both according to his pro day.

DPJ is 6'2" and ran a 4.48 (combine numbers).

He's never really going to look as fast or as "sudden" as the small guys. 

Cribbs was 6'1" and was faster than he looked. He also had the size (a few pounds on DPJ) so that when he got up to speed he could break arm tackles. I'm not saying DPJ is Cribbs I'm just giving a comparison.

My money is that DPJ isn't physically slow, he's just processing slowly / overthinking. Remember, no preseason. Less training camp. Etc. He basically just finished a preseason's worth of returns. 

Physically he's there he just has to learn how to turn that into results (trusting blocking, etc) on an NFL field. (We could block better too)

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, MLD Woody said:

So JoJo Natson is just under 5'7" and ran a 4.46, both according to his pro day.

Cribbs was 6'1" and was faster than he looked. He also had the size (a few pounds on DPJ) so that when he got up to speed he could break arm tackles. I'm not saying DPJ is Cribbs I'm just giving a comparison.

My money is that DPJ isn't physically slow, he's just processing slowly / overthinking. Remember, no preseason. Less training camp. Etc. He basically just finished a preseason's worth of returns. 

Physically he's there he just has to learn how to turn that into results (trusting blocking, etc) on an NFL field. (We could block better too)

Right. I actually liked the pick, really not a gamble at all on the Browns part. 

He's going to get a chance for more time on the field it appears, as OBJ's injury might be serious. 

1 hour ago, MLD Woody said:

Woody, I don't care where he went to college. Great game winning catch...  

2 minutes ago, hoorta said:

Woody, I don't care where he went to college. Great game winning catch...  

I would echo that... If they play well for us.. It does not matter.. We're 5-2.. And I LIKE IT!!!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, MLD Woody said:

He made some key catches down the stretch, so that's great.

But seriously, he is not good at returning kicks. Whether he's physically slow or mentally slow it literally looks like he's carrying a piano when he returns kickoffs. Like if the entire kick coverage team spontaneously died as DJP caught the kickoff, he MIGHT be able to run it back for a touchdown. 😊

But he went to TSUN, so I get it, you are all tingly in your nether region tonight. Let's let Woody enjoy it. 😁

4 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

We were talking about Higgins, not DJP.

How he went from being important to Baker during his #6's rookie season, but then finding himself buried on the bench the next season and most of this one. 

OK....

That's it...

Pronouns are now banned...

He did a great job, that catch was simply terrific.

Now going forward: Landry, Higgie and PJ are the starters.

Tawan Taylor becomes #4.

We have two guys on the practice squad, JaMarcus Bradley, 6', 198, rookie LA Lafayette, and Ryan Switzer, 5'9, 183, 4th year out of UNC.

Anybody know anything about this guys?

There is no picture of Ryan Switzer on the Browns roster, but without googling, I feel pretty safe saying "gritty" white possession receiver.

Zombo