THE BROWNS BOARD

***Browns Vs Bengals OFFICIAL Gameday Thread***

Ibleedbrown

9 minutes ago, hoorta said:

Um, most of the time, one or two plays are the difference between winning an losing in the NFL. 

Speaking of, and since you live down in Bengal Country you'd know better, but I'm impressed how hard the Bengals continue to play under their head coach Zac Taylor last season and this one, considering that they always seem to be in the game, but never win them. You have to wonder how long they can keep this up if they don't start winning a few games. 

As one of the cleveland.com articles put it, the defense looks like Garrett, Ward, and 9 guys who can't tackle a gourd.

Regarding OBJ.. Still haven't heard or seen what the exact problem is for which "trade OBJ at any cost" is a remotely plausible solution.  Only thing I can think of is "Just too many splash plays from the WR position."

1 hour ago, Barry said:

Two things which I thought. Baker sure looked better with OBJ not in the lineup. It will be interesting to see how Baker does the next few games (or longer) if OBJ's injury is serious like they think it is.

The OBJ conundrum... how to involve him without revolving around him which leads to forcing the ball to him.

I thought we had this solved back in the DAL/IND stretch... reverses, receiving throws by fellow member of the WR room, later throwing to that fellow member... it just seemed solved. We actually caught a glimpse of the impact player we hoped we were getting... a player returning to the form that put his name with the best in the league at his position.

Then today we had to try to throw deep to him right away? I don't know if it was forced, but it sure as hell wasn't in the rhythm of the Offense. And the result was predictable...

2 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

It was nice to see Baker moving his eyes at time.  More importantly - being decisive on the shorter throws.  Can he continue this past the Raiders though...?  

We'll see.

What caught my eye was his ball placement... it was fricken unreal today. Lead by the TD to Njoku.

Plus he was fitting balls in over the top of defenders. The GW TD to Peeps was one, but an even better example was the preceding pass to Higgins, And there were several more examples.

Like to hear your take, but my impression was that Cinci was not disguising its D... was not changing coverages post snap.

Great hard fought win.  We always used to lose those.  When Mitchell dropped the INT.  We always used to lose those.  When Burrow threw that perfect Hail Mary, and the WR tapped it backwards towards the two guys they had stationed there (well designed) and it instead went into our guy's chest.  We always used to lose those.

Gutsy performance by Landry.  They have no mercy on him.  They keep running him with the ball with a cracked rib.

Bryant made the catches he had to make and helped us big time today.

Rashard Higgins got more involved as the game went on.  He helped us in a big way today.

Peoples-Jones hung in there and made the plays that he was targeted on towards the end of the game including the really great catch game-winner!

I've been losing faith in Baker in recent weeks...to the point where I didn't have any faith that he could engineer a game winning drive.  And the game started off underscoring my lack of faith with that int.  And it ended with him orchestrating a beautiful, no time outs, 75 yards in a minute game winner!  Congrats to Baker!

Myles with another one of them strip-sack thingys.  

Denzel Ward knocking that TD out of the receiver's hands!  Big Play!

- With Parkey missing the final XP, I felt that we should've kicked it out of the back of the end zone and make them start at the 25 rather than the 40ish where they got it.

On my Browns Schedule I had this game listed as a Must Win.  We have to beat the teams that we're supposed to beat. (I've got 7 Must Win games on the schedule.  We're 3 for 3 so far...with the Raiders coming up as another Must Win)

Our secondary needs fixed. Before the season is over. I wanted, Like Mitchell and Ward, a few pass interference calls on Green and Higgins.

no call.

Hard fought game - Kardiac Kids style. meaning, stressful most of the game. Baker got off to a bad start, but later went on a qb roar,

setting a new franchise record for completed passes.

Conklin didn't start at RT vs the bengals, I thought I saw him out there. Hubbard played in his place? had

a few problems there. Gave up a rush to the inside, unless Conklin came in with his injury.

And the short kickoff with the game on the line... I think that had to be a mistake - wasn't supposed to be THAT short.

Harrison Bryant - rocks. Hunt had a terrific game. The Browns miss Chubb, no doubt about that.

and they WON ! Mack Wilson had some great plays in coverage, Ward was a hero...

and then, there is #23. Seems that most of the time, he is a day late and a dollar short as the old saying goes.

On the play - where Higgins went into motion to the left, then stopped on a dime and went the other direction?

I get it = HIggins is a star quality wr. But FS Sendejo loses a couple of steps on that play to a 6'4" wr?

If only Delpit had stayed healthy, I was really looking forward to watching him make a huge difference in the defense.

and our Browns WON AGAIN ! three more wins in a row, and we're 8-2 YOU BETCHA !

1 hour ago, Tour2ma said:

What caught my eye was his ball placement... it was fricken unreal today. Lead by the TD to Njoku.

Plus he was fitting balls in over the top of defenders. The GW TD to Peeps was one, but an even better example was the preceding pass to Higgins, And there were several more examples.

Like to hear your take, but my impression was that Cinci was not disguising its D... was not changing coverages post snap.

The ball placement was spotty at times, especially in the early going.   The pick targeted at ODB shouldn't have happened, the ball was placed short and inside.   The throw to Njoku was money, the pass to Hollywood was nice, the throw to DPJ could have been placed at the back pylon.   I actually believe it was a bit underthrown, despite the fact things worked out for the better.

Cincy didn't do much to really hide what they were doing defensively.    As I said last week, I'd expect Baker to look a hell of a lot better the next couple games.      

After that?  I can only guess but so far things are going as expected.

10 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

The ball placement was spotty at times, especially in the early going.   The pick targeted at ODB shouldn't have happened, the ball was placed short and inside.   The throw to Njoku was money, the pass to Hollywood was nice, the throw to DPJ could have been placed at the back pylon.   I actually believe it was a bit underthrown, despite the fact things worked out for the better.

Cincy didn't do much to really hide what they were doing defensively.    As I said last week, I'd expect Baker to look a hell of a lot better the next couple games.      

After that?  I can only guess but so far things are going as expected.

At least guys will have the bye week to mend and heal..... The Waiduhz won't be an easy game... They're defense is far better than Cincy's

6 hours ago, TypicalBrowns50 said:

Defense is TERRIBLE

Non existent?  Burrow 400+ yards, and it sure looks like the Bengals never had to punt the entire game. 

5 hours ago, Canton Dawg said:

Mucho Grassy Ass Senior!

As Nero would say- de nada.  :)  

3 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Speaking of, and since you live down in Bengal Country you'd know better, but I'm impressed how hard the Bengals continue to play under their head coach Zac Taylor last season and this one, considering that they always seem to be in the game, but never win them. You have to wonder how long they can keep this up if they don't start winning a few games. 

They're playing hard, but can't get over the hump. Game plan- shut down Hunt, and essentially succeeded.  Burrow is unfortunately for us on a Carson Palmer track.  They're not going to ditch the coach because he's not winning. A few disgruntled players like Dunlap. Stay tuned. 

I tell you what, the Bengals got away with a couple of offensive pass interferences in the game, but we got away with the ultimate PI at the end. DPJ pushed off to get the TD and although it wasn't much, it was JUST enough to throw off the defender. And they didn't call it. 

1 minute ago, jiggins7919 said:

I tell you what, the Bengals got away with a couple of offensive pass interferences in the game, but we got away with the ultimate PI at the end. DPJ pushed off to get the TD and although it wasn't much, it was JUST enough to throw off the defender. And they didn't call it. 

I am happy that the refs ARE finally starting to call offensive pass interference more, though. Used to be it was incredibly rare to ever see it called, looks like it has been a point of contention talked about this offseason with the refs. 

2 minutes ago, jiggins7919 said:

I almost thought his feet were out of bounds until I saw the replay.. That was a freak catch!

2 hours ago, Orion said:
  1. Great hard fought win.  We always used to lose those. 
  2. I've been losing faith in Baker in recent weeks...to the point where I didn't have any faith that he could engineer a game winning drive.  And the game started off underscoring my lack of faith with that int.  And it ended with him orchestrating a beautiful, no time outs, 75 yards in a minute game winner!  Congrats to Baker!
  3. - With Parkey missing the final XP, I felt that we should've kicked it out of the back of the end zone and make them start at the 25 rather than the 40ish where they got it.
  1. Odd.... I can't think of a win we ever lost... ;)
  2. It wasn't just one GWD Baker put together... it was three of them... all in the 4th QTR. Problem was Burrow engineered a couple of his own along the way.
  3. Disagree... the squibb kick and subsequent run-around-back burned all save one play's worth of time off the gameclock. That was key. It eliminated any chance of a tying FG. Kick it deep and they can run two sidleine plays and have a shot at a FG.

One added thought...

Someone in the RB room not named Hunt needs to step up. Hunt's good, but we are going to wear him out long before Chubb is back.

If no one does step up, then we might want to shop a fire sale.

3 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

One added thought...

Someone in the RB room not named Hunt needs to step up. Hunt's good, but we are going to wear him out long before Chubb is back.

Yeah D'Ernest Johnson seems to have cooled off a bit.. I'm surprised Andy Janovich does not get any carries...

3 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

One added thought...

Dernest had one carry.  He appears to know the offense well as he’s been called on in key situations (Colts and Cowboy games).  Maybe the coaches need to call his number? 

8 hours ago, nickers said:

almost thought his feet were out of bounds until I saw the replay.. That was a freak catch!

Bro, I refused to celebrate until I saw the replay, and then it was PANDEMONIUM at my house. I was screaming, my kid was yelling, my dog was barking, and my wife was dancing. It was absolutely incredible. 

8 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

I am happy that the refs ARE finally starting to call offensive pass interference more, though. Used to be it was incredibly rare to ever see it called, looks like it has been a point of contention talked about this offseason with the refs. 

I totally agree with you. I've really started to see that call more and more and it's a good thing. 

I still can't believe DPJ caught that ball. It wasn't that easy of a play to make and he somehow pegged both feet in bounds. Crazy. 

31 minutes ago, jiggins7919 said:

I totally agree with you. I've really started to see that call more and more and it's a good thing. 

I still can't believe DPJ caught that ball. It wasn't that easy of a play to make and he somehow pegged both feet in bounds. Crazy. 

Especially considering how close it came to going through the defenders arms too. 

7 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Someone in the RB room not named Hunt needs to step up.

D'Ernest Johnson is the next man up.  And I've liked him since he first played last season.  He does a pretty good job picking up blitzers as I recall.  But he's definitely slower than our other backs.

...and I still don't like the squib kick in that situation.  The clock doesn't start until they touch the ball....and they didn't touch the ball until they were already pretty far upfield. 

Guys, if you need another jolt of happiness, watch this video. At the end keep your eyes on Joel Bitonio. He waits for the replay and after its confirmed he literally PRANCES off the field while high-stepping. Lol! 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

Dernest had one carry.  He appears to know the offense well as he’s been called on in key situations (Colts and Cowboy games).  Maybe the coaches need to call his number? 

D'Ernest "went off" against the 'Boyz... prolly the worst D in the league... with 95 yards on 13 carries... and it's all been downhill from there...

And in Week 6 he put the ball on the ground.

I like the kid, but sometimes there's a reason a RB's snap count dwindles.

image.png.87a9dd37728bf6208b92c9091f8da37b.png