THE BROWNS BOARD

Stef: "Own it... Learn from it... Move past it."

Tour2ma

Works for me...

Kevin Stefanski discusses Baker Mayfield, Odell Beckham Jr. in conference call: Transcript

“Do not feel much different than I did yesterday. Watched the tape, and I think there are just so many areas that we can improve. Defensively, we gave up some big plays early there in that second quarter, but those guys battled. Did not put them in some very good spots there with the offense not being able to get a first down on third or fourth down. That was very, very disappointing. We have to be better on special teams, particularly kickoff return. A lot of things that we need to improve. My message to the team today is No. 1 you have to own it; No. 2 you have to learn from it; and then once you do those two things, you have to move past it. That is what today is for, and the players are meeting with the coaches as we speak doing those.”

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2020/10/kevin-stefanski-discusses-baker-mayfield-odell-beckham-jr-in-conference-call-transcript.html

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

The double move that Ward ate for lunch still haunts me.      You're a deep 1/3 with help underneath and you got too greedy, my guy.     Huge no-no by any DB.

Tia- need your expert help here. On the one Steeler TD that looked like a blown coverage, was Ward expecting help over the top from a safety that was nowhere in the same area code? Before I start the "donate to send Sendejo out of town" on the first bus available? 

32 minutes ago, hoorta said:

Tia- need your expert help here. On the one Steeler TD that looked like a blown coverage, was Ward expecting help over the top from a safety that was nowhere in the same area code? Before I start the "donate to send Sendejo out of town" on the first bus available? 

Oh you don't need an answer to that question to start up the bus anyway. He sucks and he's slow.

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, hoorta said:

If that's the touchdown I'm referring to from my previous post, then no - that (at glimpse) looked to be all on Denzel.     I can't find a good shot of it on youtube, so I'm going to wait until Wednesday when NFL.com has the film.

Well, it's been a day and I still don't know how I feel about our team. We're 4-2...I should be thrilled, and to an extent I am. Heck, I even predicted we'd lose by multiple scores but here I am thinking about that performance and I'm trying to wrap my head around what I saw. 

What I saw was a complete abomination, and believe me, it gets worse when you watch it again. What hurts are the Baker interceptions, specifically the pick-6. I could live with the 2nd one. We're down 17, we basically had no first downs, the line couldn't block anyone, and the game felt over. He tried to make a play. The pick-6? That was a basic as fuck read that everyone knew to avoid. The bigger problem? It prevented Baker from trusting his eyes the rest of the game. 

What hurts WORSE? The performance of our offensive line. Our strength. Our power. Our backbone. It was completely shameful and Bitonio said as much. There was someone coming free on virtually every down and that's fucking embarrassing. It's something you almost never see in the NFL. The Steelers were giving up almost a 50% conversion on 3rd down, towards the very bottom of the league. We were fucking 1-12 on 3rd down and 0-3 in 4th. GTFOH. 

I don't know what it means going forward. This sets up almost exactly like week 1, and we've even got the same team coming up on Sunday. The bad news is that the Bengals are about one play away each game from winning, and it wouldn't take a miracle for them to beat us. Do I think we'll win? Yeah...I do. But it's not going to be pretty. 

The far larger issue at hand is obviously our QB. There's nothing left to say that hasn't been said, but suffice to say that the Bengals game this week will carry quite a bit of importance for Mr. Mayfield. Every team has a bad day from time to time, but good teams manage to avoid losing streaks. 

I've overall liked the job Stefanski has done, especially considering the tough road he was given to start his rookie season.

That being said, his John Cooperish "the Steelers game is just another game and we hope to go 1-0" talk from this week was weak. 

As much shit Kitchens got, he had the Browns physically beat up the Ravens offensively in the early game last season, and even prior to the Myles whack-a-Mason the Browns were as physical with the Steelers as I've ever seen them since coming back in '99 in the win.

These two games vs the Ravens and Steelers were outright embarrassments.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

I've overall liked the job Stefanski has done, especially considering the tough road he was given to start his rookie season.

That being said, his John Cooperish "the Steelers game is just another game and we hope to go 1-0" talk from this week was weak. 

As much shit Kitchens got, he had the Browns physically beat up the Ravens offensively in the early game last season, and even prior to the Myles whack-a-Mason the Browns were as physical with the Steelers as I've ever seen them since coming back in '99 in the win.

These two games vs the Ravens and Steelers were outright embarrassments.  

I agree with this

So far Stef strikes me as a "clever" coach but you really need to learn differences quickly in this division.

Mike Tomlin who quite frankly isnt very good, has kept his job cos of it.

2 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

If that's the touchdown I'm referring to from my previous post, then no - that (at glimpse) looked to be all on Denzel.     I can't find a good shot of it on youtube, so I'm going to wait until Wednesday when NFL.com has the film.

Romo broke it down as Ward having his eyes in the backfield and bit on Ben's pump fake on a stop-n-go.

Even added that the earlier, near-pick PD that Ward had was filed away for this later use.

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

26 minutes ago, LondonBrown said:

I agree with this.

So far Stef strikes me as a "clever" coach but you really need to learn differences quickly in this division.

Mike Tomlin who quite frankly isnt very good, has kept his job cos of it.

I agree with some of it... borderline most. The "Cooperish" point most of all...

Stef's playcalling still has me scratching my head some games... actually the last two games quite a bit.

After the Dallas game I worried aloud about Stef becoming too enamored with the gadget plays. He stayed pretty clear of them vs. Indy, but there we were Sunday... deep in our own territory and out pops a fake end-around screen call that Dupree blew up with a sack because a TE who was never going to handle Bud anyway was hung up as he tried to run across the entire formation... post snap.

What the hell as Stef thinking? That type of play only works when a D is on its heels.

New thought on the OBJ sideline "encouragement" I thought Baker should have done...

What about Stef? Doesn't have to be in your face yelling, but to go to the OL and tell them they need to get the run game going to set up the PAP so they can keep their QB upright?

... or as a certain Bill B would say, "Do your job."

Absolutely... part of a HC's job...

Is he enamored of gadget plays or is it more a fundamental question.. does he actually understand how to build an offense or was he just executing a random gaggle of disconnected plays at Minn?  I've always thought that someone who understands gadget plays as part of a structure [punish defender who overpursues, etc] would only call them a low number of times.

But hey, there could be a silver lining: At this rate, Dylan Moses should be around when we pick in the first!

Let's hope that this games are also HC's growing pains. You need a lot of guts and intelligence to be a good NFL coach and I agree with most of what has been said in this thread by you guys.

I think you employ your TE pretty heavily on the Steelers Defense.  Get him vertical right down the middle.  We have a couple that can do it.  Also Take care of your A gap in the process so your QB has 2.5-3 seconds.  

The Steelers put us in a box offensively with their penetration and then you had Fitzpatrick jumping slants.  

Execution wise- Their Dline won the majority of the battles.  And then our QB wasn’t seeing the field which allowed their fast DEs to loop around the tackles pursue the QB and make coverage sacks.  This has to change next time.

4-5 seconds against the Steelers is an eternity to make a play.  Stefanski and Baker should understand this reality and call a game and play a game to that expectation level.

we weren’t necessarily out this because of play calls but they didn’t help and we couldn’t execute at all.

20 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

The double move that Ward ate for lunch still haunts me.      You're a deep 1/3 with help underneath and you got too greedy, my guy.     Huge no-no by any DB.

So, the worst part about this is that I called it right before it happened. I said, "Alright Dad, watch what good teams do when they're clicking. They get into plus territory and they always take a shot on 1st down because they aren't worried about 2nd and 10 and they could have a chance for a huge play." 

Double move, TD. I'm not saying I'm a football genius, I'm obviously not. This is successful football one on one. The truly hysterical thing is that we tried to do this with atrocious consequences. Remember those two first half possessions when we got to their 40 yard line and didn't get any points? Yeah...not good. On at least one of them, we dialed up a deep shot on first down. I don't remember exactly what happened, but it obviously disastrous. Why? Because Steelers knew it was coming. I knew it was coming. You knew it was coming. The lizard on my window knew it was coming. 

You have to have the feel for the game. Coach admitted he didn't do a great job, and he was right. He's a rookie, I expect this. I still think we have our coach for a very long time. When we get into plus territory against the Steelers, it's time to focus on first downs until you get to the 25 or 30. That way you're in FG range, you'll have a shot for points, and you may even go for it, but you can't waste a play on a deep shot that everyone knows is coming. It felt desperate, telegraphed, and both times we stalled or went backwards because we couldn't get enough yards on first down. 

16 minutes ago, jiggins7919 said:

So, the worst part about this is that I called it right before it happened. I said, "Alright Dad, watch what good teams do when they're clicking. They get into plus territory and they always take a shot on 1st down because they aren't worried about 2nd and 10 and they could have a chance for a huge play." 

Double move, TD. I'm not saying I'm a football genius, I'm obviously not. This is successful football one on one. The truly hysterical thing is that we tried to do this with atrocious consequences. Remember those two first half possessions when we got to their 40 yard line and didn't get any points? Yeah...not good. On at least one of them, we dialed up a deep shot on first down. I don't remember exactly what happened, but it obviously disastrous. Why? Because Steelers knew it was coming. I knew it was coming. You knew it was coming. The lizard on my window knew it was coming. 

You have to have the feel for the game. Coach admitted he didn't do a great job, and he was right. He's a rookie, I expect this. I still think we have our coach for a very long time. When we get into plus territory against the Steelers, it's time to focus on first downs until you get to the 25 or 30. That way you're in FG range, you'll have a shot for points, and you may even go for it, but you can't waste a play on a deep shot that everyone knows is coming. It felt desperate, telegraphed, and both times we stalled or went backwards because we couldn't get enough yards on first down. 

The Double move was more of a response from the Steelers to the Browns being aggressive with their coverage.  We watched tape and the Steelers feast on slants, screens and quick stuff.  We jumped one early and dropped an INT and deflected another.  Missed opportunities.

Of course The Steelers correctly made an adjustment and we stayed the course.

Right now, we are an easy gameplan for opposing offensive coordinators.  I would make our corners tackle we give the quick stuff up too easily and I think we are compromised at that position with tackling.  I take a shot downfield (double Garrett) at least once a quarter with a route scheme where Sendejo has make a decision on coverage and then react and get back.  I send my TEs on crossers and backs on swing passes and force our LBs to be athletes.  When I run I run away from Garrett. If I run at him it’s with delayed handoffs where he frequently gets upfield too much. 

• Upvote 1

I (fortunately) wasn't able to watch this one, but I'm glad coach said it this way. Got smoked by a top 3 team, no doubt about it. But at the same time, that's what happens to growing teams who are learning to play with the big dogs of the NFL. Who knows how the rest of the year will play out, but all I know is we have a great shot to be 5-2 after Sunday, and have three winnable games after that as well. Even assuming we drop one of those, 7-3 with two of those losses being the Ravens and Steelers is damn fine to me.

Still plenty of time to get them game two, both at home. I'm sure as shit happy to be on this ride compared to previous years.

Since it's kind of a HC thread...

Just wanted to alert the McCarthyites that he's not playing all that well in Big D...

McCarthy wants Cowboys to 'handle things as men,' not complain to media

Jack Browne  13 hrs ago

The Dallas Cowboys were blown out by the Arizona Cardinals in prime time on Monday, and the loss seemingly sparked a revolt.

Anonymous Cowboys players called out the coaching staff for its lack of preparation and in-game adjustments. Head coach Mike McCarthy responded to the news Tuesday, saying he wishes his players would bring their issues to him rather than the media.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/mccarthy-wants-cowboys-to-handle-things-as-men-not-complain-to-media/ar-BB1aeIkN?ocid=msedgdhp

=================================================================================================================================

In my work experience you approach superiors who seem to be approachable.

Others... not so much.

Had one where the message was clear to all subordinates... Honesty is not the best policy.

Fortunately had many more who were approachable as could be... some others did not find approachable, but I did. Sometimes it's in "the approach".

image.png

4 hours ago, Orion said:

"Own it... Learn from it... Move past it."

Well, that's a helluvalot better than, "If you don't wear brown and orange, you don't matter."

And what else should you do ?  Wallow in it for weeks ?   

Next. Focus on going to 5-2.

1 hour ago, Tour2ma said:

In my work experience you approach superiors who seem to be approachable.

To build on that.. I'd bet money that multiple Dallas players went to the coaching staff already, both 1:1 and during position group meetings... and were in every case told to s2 - sit down and shut up.

The players didn't feel their issues were acknowledged and addressed.. and what has happened is an expected result of McCarthy's inconsiderate "style". 

I'm glad he's not in Cleveland right now.. Stef's not perfect, but better than McCarthy.

58 minutes ago, Unsympathetic said:

To build on that.. I'd bet money that multiple Dallas players went to the coaching staff already, both 1:1 and during position group meetings... and were in every case told to s2 - sit down and shut up.

The players didn't feel their issues were acknowledged and addressed.. and what has happened is an expected result of McCarthy's inconsiderate "style". 

I'm glad he's not in Cleveland right now.. Stef's not perfect, but better than McCarthy.

Hmmmm...two years two coaching regimes and the players pointing fingers at the coaches each year.   

Maybe it is time some of the players look in the mirror.

The relevant leadership quote from Andy Stanley -- Leaders who don't listen eventually find themselves surrounded by people with nothing to say.

Also, regarding the need to create a clear offensive structure and call plays accordingly -- Organizations don't rise to the level of their goals, they fall to the level of their systems.

7 hours ago, mjp28 said:

And what else should you do ?  Wallow in it for weeks ?   

Next. Focus on going to 5-2.

Right.  After you own it and learn from it, you move past it.  

According to Donte Whitner on the Bull & Fox show today, Baker's got stuff to learn from that game though.   He said that Baker's not understanding what the D is actually doing.  He's going to the wrong place with the ball and that he should be identifying who's got single coverage and go THERE with the ball. 

13 hours ago, Unsympathetic said:

The relevant leadership quote from Andy Stanley -- Leaders who don't listen eventually find themselves surrounded by people with nothing to say.

Also, regarding the need to create a clear offensive structure and call plays accordingly -- Organizations don't rise to the level of their goals, they fall to the level of their systems.

I have a better saying. Leaders who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by parrots who reflect back everything you say and nothing more.

7 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

I have a better saying. Leaders who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by parrots who reflect back everything you say and nothing more.

It's interesting that you changed from the third person to the second person in that sentence... Very interesting.