THE BROWNS BOARD

Baker Mayfield

TypicalBrowns50

1 hour ago, LondonBrown said:

Well Baker and the Browns scored 40pts in a win in Baltimore last year ?

That game is looking more and more like an aberration. 

But I will give that one to you. Mayfield threw for 342 yards on 20/30 passing, 1 touchdown and 1 interception. 

I still contend that neither the Steelers or Ravens fear Mayfield in the least. 

What about Mayfield would make them fear him? His mediocre arm? His so-so accuracy? His ability to read a defense? His athletic prowess? 

2 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

But I will give that one to you. Mayfield threw for 342 yards on 20/30 passing, 1 touchdown and 1 interception. 

What about Mayfield would make them fear him? His mediocre arm? His so-so accuracy? His ability to read a defense? His athletic prowess? 

I certainly think he has a good enough arm, accuracy and athletic ability to make other teams worry. He can and he has been very good, he isn't perfect and he has also struggled at times.

But I think we would be crazy to give up on him, we'd end up in "veteran" QB rotation AGAIN. 

11 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

Ya... but there might be three - four whole QB’s in the league that scare NFL defenses.... and Lamar ain’t doing it with his arm

And I don’t think Baker’s arm strength is really an issue.... when he is hitting passes 20-25 yards down field and you can hear it hit the WR’s hands on TV..

I'd swap Mayfield for Burrows in a heartbeat and take my chances.

I'd rather see a QB take his bumps and bruises his rookie year with a talentless team than be a one year wonder like Mayfield.

Burrows is the typical AFCN North QB.  Big at 6'4" 230. Cincy got him, Balt has Lamar, Pitt has Ben and  and we got  the midget.

Todays QB must be able to pass from the pocket. Mayfield is horrible at it.

1 hour ago, LondonBrown said:

I certainly think he has a good enough arm, accuracy and athletic ability to make other teams worry. He can and he has been very good, he isn't perfect and he has also struggled at times.

But I think we would be crazy to give up on him, we'd end up in "veteran" QB rotation AGAIN. 

I don't think the Browns should give up on him, because there isn't a better alternative at the present time.

But I do not see anything that makes me think he's going to be anything beyond an Andy Dalton caliber starting QB. I think that's about his ceiling. (Mind you, Andy Dalton put up a few pretty darn good seasons, but he's also someone who had a limited upside)

1 hour ago, hx214 said:

Ya... but there might be three - four whole QB’s in the league that scare NFL defenses.... and Lamar ain’t doing it with his arm

And I don’t think Baker’s arm strength is really an issue.... when he is hitting passes 20-25 yards down field and you can hear it hit the WR’s hands on TV..

I don't care how a QB puts fear into an opposing team.

Baker doesn't scare anyone with his arm, or his accuracy, or his ability to read defenses, or his overall athletic ability.

He peaked during his rookie season. When teams got film on him, his weaknesses have been exposed.  

29 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

Andy Dalton put up a few pretty darn good seasons

All of them with Jay Gruden as OC and a really good OL [whitworth / smith/ boling / zeitler and several C's]

Speaking of Jacksonville [Jay's current team] they are the first team since the 1970 merger to have 5 different players attempt a field goal in 5 consecutive games.

10 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

The antics Baker has shown previously - the flag plant, the slashing, the shit talk then silence into near cowering.     That's shit fake tough guys do.

It's easy to be loud when things are right or at minimum even.  When they aren't? That's when bravado should give way to grit.    Baker might not have the latter.

He might not have the latter at that... certainly has shown a hint of it lately.

But I'm not sure I agree with your take on the early antics... some were shoulder-chip related, some were "youthful exuberance", all were products of an attitude that I thought was real... and still do.

I just see the motivations that brought them out as being extinguished...

It's like how success destroyed every great Punk-rock band... terrible comp, but best I have ATM...

17 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

I don't care how a QB puts fear into an opposing team.

Baker doesn't scare anyone with his arm, or his accuracy, or his ability to read defenses, or his overall athletic ability.

He peaked during his rookie season. When teams got film on him, his weaknesses have been exposed.  

? If you don’t care how many NFL Qb’s scare other defenses then what is the point of bringing it up? 

My point is... if there is about a total of 3 QB’s that can take over games with the list you put together.... how do these other teams win games and make playoffs? For the last 21 years they have had nothing that even resembles an NFL QB outside of Derek Anderson for about a 10 game stretch and the way people talk on this board, unless you end up with the next Patrick Mahomes (who has Andy Reid btw) you should just flip the whole thing upside down and live in the basement until you can draft one. 

As a Browns fan, I’ll take a massive hard pass on flipping out a QB that broke the rookie TD record in 14 games, and is on pace to be one of three people in NFL history to throw for 3500 yards and 25+ TD’s in his first three season, With the offensive guru Hue Jackson and then Gregg Williams, and then Freddie “Moons Over My Hammy” Kitchens at the helm....so they can draft another maybe in the first round when they have glaring holes all over the place on defense.

The kid posts over 100 QBR’s and rips off four wins in a season after an abortion and now having a rookie head coach, and people all over this board Stomping their feet and bitching how we could have had Josh Allen, who I just watched miss open receivers by 5-10 yards with 122 yards then complaining how great Joe Burrow is with 6 TD’s in 6 games throwing the ball 60 times a game going 1-4-1...

I've been around This place since 2006 and there is possibly more sand in V’s now than there was the seasons they won 1 game in two years.... AND Ghoolie was still here

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

New wrinkle last couple of seasons is presnap motion changing the blocking assignments & run fits on the fly.  Kollman describes

It's not just that a play is a run.. it's how the plays are designed. That's why Rams are getting an effective running game out of UDFA's at RB.

Could be that Stef's plays from the last few years are too predictable - need to include some of these ideas and overcome.

10 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

You're late though,  I expected you to have this thread made by 6pm yesterday.

I'm still waiting on answers to my questions I proposed in your last thread.    Then, as expected, you went MIA until the Browns lost.  Nearly an entire month.

Pathetically fucking predictable.  

I just scrolled through this thread just to find if someone else had already said this. 

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, stillmotion said:

Our team literally is at pace to make the playoffs, and you guys are trying to write off Baker when his ribs are messed up, we're missing lineman, and he plays one off game against a 4-0 team.... Look at the entire season, not just one game. We have one of the most deadly rushing attacks, so his stats won't be 5 TDs 500 yards every week. Rodgers and other QB's have off games, and most of you are forgetting, it's only his third season. Peyton Manning and Brett Favre weren't the killing gunslingers until later on. Let the kid get his chance this year, I still believe in him.

Long time no see...! 

Guys, this was the one that said we should take Mayfield! Bring the torches! :D 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Unsympathetic said:

New wrinkle last couple of seasons is presnap motion changing the blocking assignments & run fits on the fly.  Kollman describes

It's not just that a play is a run.. it's how the plays are designed. That's why Rams are getting an effective running game out of UDFA's at RB.

Could be that Stef's plays from the last few years are too predictable - need to include some of these ideas and overcome.

I appreciate you linking that.  The run fit/assignment changes from the motion is what i mentioned above.  This brings actual video example of what I'm saying.

Thank you for the find.

The bottom line is Baker has to be better. Is it ALL his fault? Hell no. What's the biggest problem? Baker can't pass to the middle of the field. As a rookie, that's where he feasted. Past two years? He's so scared to even LOOK in the middle, because when he does, it's a pick. He isn't seeing the field and he's now terrified to throw picks so he's trying to live on the sidelines and that's impossible. I can write a thesis about this but I don't have the time. 

Stefanski also got his ass kicked, and that's OK. He's a rookie and he probably feels like it. But if he can't fix Baker, and if he can't get Teller back on the field, we're in deep shit. 

Oh yeah, and FUCK YOU Vernon. 

I'm out. 😂

18 hours ago, Tacosman said:

One way to increase the odds of doing that is fewer runs on 1st and 2nd down.....time and time again when baker struggles and the browns get thumped, when you go back and look at the game log on offense we see handoffs to the running backs which set up 2nd and 3rd and log.  Converting more of those less efficient runs into first and second down play action passing is going to put Baker in a better situation...

We did this against the Colts in the first half with great success. Probably our best half of football. It can be done, but it can't be done against Pittsburgh. I don't know if you saw the game, but Baker had absolutely NO time. It was a joke. I'm not giving him a pass because that pick-6 was total bullshit, but his 2nd pick I don't care about. He tried to make a play after running for his life and we essentially didn't even have a first down. Pittsburgh plays with the same amount of players that everyone else does. Why couldn't we block them? 

20 hours ago, hx214 said:

? If you don’t care how many NFL Qb’s scare other defenses then what is the point of bringing it up? 

I never said anything about "how many NFL QBs scare other defenses".

I said I don't care HOW other QBs scare defenses. You belittled Jackson by saying that he only scares defenses via his legs. Regardless of how, Jackson DOES scare opposing defenses.

There's nothing in Mayfield's game that puts fear in an opposing defense. In fact, he probably struck more fear in opposing defenses during his rookie season than he does now. 

20 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

He might not have the latter at that... certainly has shown a hint of it lately.

But I'm not sure I agree with your take on the early antics... some were shoulder-chip related, some were "youthful exuberance", all were products of an attitude that I thought was real... and still do.

I just see the motivations that brought them out as being extinguished...

It's like how success destroyed every great Punk-rock band... terrible comp, but best I have ATM...

I guess I see it differently.   Bakers exuberance was more outwardly focused - as the examples I said above.    Somebody like Farve was more 'inward'... for lack of a better term.  I.E. you saw the kid just having fun with his teammates and friends. 

I don't ever recall Brady ever starting some shit.   But I'll be damned if he won't throw it back at you when you start it.

7 minutes ago, Neo said:

Man.... that’s a hot take.  

“It’s a thin vail that Stephanski took his starting QB out of a blowout game who had a rib injury coming into the game to “protect” him. When it’s really him protecting his own job.”  

Wtf does that even mean? Maybe.... He wants to keep his starting QB healthy because it’s week 6 and they are 4-2?

AND the Steelers are good this year based on Big Ben..... Ya.... it’s not their defense...