THE BROWNS BOARD

Baker Mayfield

TypicalBrowns50

On 11/11/2020 at 1:19 PM, Dutch Oven said:

Speaking of QBs, thought I'd share this remarkable stat...

rodgers 400 tds.jpg

He is a fucking beast.

I'm watching his interviews in the Pat McAffee show and I have even more respect for him. Great player and cool guy. 

• Upvote 1

I thought Mayfield was next to brilliant today. He missed a couple passes, but no more than Watson did. He didn't turn it over, he made enough plays, and he made the play when we had to have it. The 3rd and 17 play WAS the game. 

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, jiggins7919 said:

I thought Mayfield was next to brilliant today. He missed a couple passes, but no more than Watson did. He didn't turn it over, he made enough plays, and he made the play when we had to have it. The 3rd and 17 play WAS the game. 

He managed the game well, considering the weather. 

I'll be curious to see how this offense looks in somewhat moderate weather. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, jiggins7919 said:

The 3rd and 17 play WAS the game. 

Well the succeeding PI cal on 3rd and 8 didn't hurt any... ;)

For me it was Stef reestablishing our Offensive identity... and Baker's role in that ID. Stef had all his tools back and wasted no time putting them to use. Our OL and run game flat wore the HOU Defense out.

I think we could have played in a dome today and our game plan would not have changed at all. Can't say the same about HOU tho... I think they "protected" Watson... overly so... and found out too late that they could ask him to do more than dink.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Well the succeeding PI cal on 3rd and 8 didn't hurt any... ;)

For me it was Stef reestablishing our Offensive identity... and Baker's role in that ID. Stef had all his tools back and wasted no time putting them to use. Our OL and run game flat wore the HOU Defense out.

I think we could have played in a dome today and our game plan would not have changed at all. Can't say the same about HOU tho... I think they "protected" Watson... overly so... and found out too late that they could ask him to do more than dink.

We definitely stayed with the plan and didn't mess around. This was an example of STICKING TO IT. You have to remember, it's much harder to run the ball when they KNOW you're running it, and Houston definitely knew we wanted to run. Houston also did an excellent job of knocking us off our play-action passing game, especially the bootlegs. They fired their DE or linebacker directly at the QB instead of paying any attention to the QB. This leaves the cutback lane wide open (our touchdown run) but also completely nullifies virtually any bootleg because Baker won't have time. 

You have to give credit to our defense and to our coaches. I was SCREAMING at the television on the 4th and goal play that a QB draw was coming, and throughout the years, this play has absolutely killed us. Well, guess what? Our coaches were ALL OVER that shit and our players executed the plan perfectly. How nice is that? We pinched him inside, Ogunjobi was in the middle, and Garrett stalked his ass. 

It's very difficult to continue with the run when it's not working. I suggested that we try a semi hurry up offense on a possession, just to try and get some momentum. While we didn't quite do that, we did have a good drive before half that kind of felt like hurry up and out was successful. We didn't score points, but we kept it away from Texans. That's extremely important because we didn't get ball after half. 

Lots to like, some things I didn't like, but what a nice victory. Missed you guys in the Tavern, but I had fun hanging with my dad. 

9 hours ago, jiggins7919 said:

Missed you guys in the Tavern, but I had fun hanging with my dad. 

"You chose wisely." - Some Old Knight

But you could have learned a lot about swimming pools and regional differences in their off-season care... also Vegan pizza.

Well... it was kind of a slow game. ;)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tour2ma said:

Well... it was kind of a slow game. 

LOL. Boy, it seriously was that. I was about to lose my lunch after Peoples-Jones once AGAIN tried to lose the game fielding a kickoff. He almost buried us against Dallas, and he probably should have killed us yesterday. Starting a drive from our own 2 after giving up a touchdown? Up only 3?! Yikes! 

Thank goodness for Chubb and Hunt. 😂

• 2 weeks later...

QB Index, Week 12

https://www.nfl.com/news/qb-index-week-12-deshaun-watson-derek-carr-climb

Rank 21
1^
Baker Mayfield
Baker Mayfield
Cleveland Browns · Year 3

Individual Rank: Bhanpuri: 22 | Blair: 20 | Filice: 22 | Parr: 22

2020 stats: 10 games | 60.8 pct | 1,850 pass yds | 7.0 ypa | 15 pass TD | 7 INT | 75 rush yds | 0 rush TD | 1 fumble lost

2 hours ago, TypicalBrowns50 said:

Baker missing some throws lately. Please get consistent Baker

I think he missed several high, early...including a couple of potential TD throws.    But then settled down.  He finished 19/29    258 yds.  65.5%   2 TDs   -0- Ints.   Overall pretty efficient. 

I honestly don't get the whole "hiding" take. Baker is simply a piece in Stef's run-first scheme.

As long as game situations allow him to stick with the run, he will, asking Baker to first do no harm.

To me that's not hiding a QB... it's simply smart football.

There will come a day when our run game is shutdown and Baker has to win a shoot out. We've already seen a couple this season where he has done so, Colts and Cinci-rematch games. Not surprisingly in both we were missing Chubb.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

I can't figure out the misses on the wide open throws.

Dude throws laser beams through windows the size of portholes on a ship 25-40 yards down the field on blanket coverage and misses wide open 5 yarders.

It has to be some kind of mental block. My 4 year old could have hit Higgins with her off hand on that blown TD pass.

Reminds me of Jon Lester for the Cubs throwing 90+ mph strikes but couldn't throw to first base....

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, hx214 said:

Dude throws laser beams through windows the size of portholes on a ship 25-40 yards down the field on blanket coverage and misses wide open 5 yarders.

It has to be some kind of mental block. My 4 year old could have hit Higgins with her off hand on that blown TD pass.

Reminds me of Jon Lester for the Cubs throwing 90+ mph strikes but couldn't throw to first base....

see the numbers I gave above for today's game.   Yes, should have had another 4 pts on a TD, plus, really another 3 on a coach's decision not to kick a FG ....but still very efficient. 

but I am far, far, more worried about the defense and the Ward injury and Garrett situation. 

22 minutes ago, hx214 said:

This is what average QBs do. 

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, hx214 said:

Feet aren’t set...everything is hurried. He’s a mess within the pocket. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, SdBacker80 said:

Feet aren’t set...everything is hurried. He’s a mess within the pocket. 

The announcers astutely mentioned this about Baker.

When he's doing a play-action pass, where he's got a set guy to throw to and can do so in rhythm, he's lights out.

But when it's 3rd and 6, and everyone knows he's got to stand in the pocket, go through progressions and step and make a good throw, there's still serious questions about him. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Tour2ma said:

I honestly don't get the whole "hiding" take. Baker is simply a piece in Stef's run-first scheme.

As long as game situations allow him to stick with the run, he will, asking Baker to first do no harm.

To me that's not hiding a QB... it's simply smart football.

There will come a day when our run game is shutdown and Baker has to win a shoot out. We've already seen a couple this season where he has done so, Colts and Cinci-rematch games. Not surprisingly in both we were missing Chubb.

It's the way Kevin is forced to call his entire offense. He knows the only success Baker has is on the move, off of PA, off of a stretch run and only looking at 1/2 of the field and maybe 2 reads.  He has to limit the number of conventional drop back pocket passes, as well as PA pocket passes because of Baker's "limitations" in the pocket.

I'm not saying Kevin is calling too many runs.... hell, I would have called even more today. I'm just saying that he is limited to calling a certain kind of pass play because of his QB. 

^ That to me is having to hide him. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, D Bone said:

It's the way Kevin is forced to call his entire offense. He knows the only success Baker has is on the move, off of PA, off of a stretch run and only looking at 1/2 of the field and maybe 2 reads.  He has to limit the number of conventional drop back pocket passes, as well as PA pocket passes because of Baker's "limitations" in the pocket.

I'm not saying Kevin is calling too many runs.... hell, I would have called even more today. I'm just saying that he is limited to calling a certain kind of pass play because of his QB. 

Bingo!

What does everyone's favorite lapsed vegan win? 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, D Bone said:

Well....we are  8-3...and it is not because we have a good defense.   It is because we have a good running game and an efficient offense.

Baker runs that efficient offense.   I will take his 8-3 record any day. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, The Gipper said:

Well....we are  8-3...and it is not because we have a good defense.   It is because we have a good running game and an efficient offense.

Baker runs that efficient offense.   I will take his 8-3 record any day. 

I like 8-3 too, but if Baker passes your eye test during a 4qtr game, then I need to get you in touch with my optometrist. 

And I'll say it here like I did on The Tavern. 

Baker is not a bad QB - he's just not a really good QB either. I'm hoping that what we are seeing this year is almost a "second rookie season" for Baker, that in many ways Stefanski and Co. have put training wheels on him this season, in an attempt to break him of bad habits... and next season we'll see Baker progress.

Because if this is Baker Mayfield at his best, or close to best, well, we will be limited somewhat by him in the years coming. 

1 minute ago, D Bone said:

I like 8-3 too, but if Baker passes your eye test during a 4qtr game, then I need to get you in touch with my optometrist. 

I guarantee you the Browns will not get such easy schedules as they have gotten this season. So many of the teams they've played this season have been just bad. 

On paper, Baker had a really good game, but man alive, he's a big part of the reason the game came down to the very end. Easy passes that would have changed the game were missed. 

10 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

I guarantee you the Browns will not get such easy schedules as they have gotten this season. So many of the teams they've played this season have been just bad. 

On paper, Baker had a really good game, but man alive, he's a big part of the reason the game came down to the very end. Easy passes that would have changed the game were missed. 

Yep, and that's the eye test thing I'm big on. Numbers are nice, but often they don't tell the entire story.  I'm still enjoying 8-3 no matter how many cream puffs we've beaten, but I also know that 8-3 doesn't tell the entire story as January fast approaches. 

^ That being said, as long as we can run the ball and if Baker can hit a just a few of those typical headscratcher plays that he misses each game, then anything is possible if we make the playoffs. 

6 minutes ago, D Bone said:

Yep, and that's the eye test thing I'm big on. Numbers are nice, but often they don't tell the entire story.  I'm still enjoying 8-3 no matter how many cream puffs we've beaten, but I also know that 8-3 doesn't tell the entire story as January fast approaches. 

^ That being said, as long as we can run the ball and if Baker can hit a just a few of those typical headscratcher plays that he misses each game, then anything is possible if we make the playoffs. 

Absolutely.

They've already blown my (and your) 6-10 prediction out of the water. 

But it is possible to enjoy being 8-3 AND also question if your QB is the guy to lead you to serious Super Bowl contention in the future. 

Also, I love the job Stefanski has done this season, all and all. Even with this schedule, most of the past Browns teams would probably be 4-7 or 5-6 at this point, tops.