THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns vs Steelers on TV

dusty

6 hours ago, dusty said:

Fox's late game is the battle of the Bays.

Green Bay @ Tampa Bay
Joe Buck, Troy Aikman

This game will be broadcast nationally.

Remember way back when when ESPN's announcer and points guy Pete Axthelm referred to this game as the pitiful  "bay of pigs game" ?  They were both quite bad once at the same time.

He later died from liver failure while awaiting a transplant in a Pittsburgh hospital at 47 in 1991.  He was a Yale graduate and a sharp guy who was a big sports fan.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Tour2ma said:

Sweet...

Nance is good, but Tony is the best.

Not only does Romo know his stuff (of course he would), he does an awesome job of communicating it. Something alot of players turned commentators haven't mastered.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, dusty said:

Not only does Romo know his stuff (of course he would), he does an awesome job of communicating it. Something alot of players turned commentators haven't mastered.

I don't think that by any stretch of the imagination that he is the best...when you take the overall qualities of what it means to be a broadcaster. .  He may know his stuff, and he may be astute in relating his knowledge through the fans. .....but I can't get past the fact that his vocal quality is terrible.  He constantly sounds like his throat is full of phlegm.  I keep wanting to say:  clear your goddamn throat. It is terribly distracting to me. So much so that I won't watch one of his broadcasts. I mean, take some Mucinex or something. 

8 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Sweet...

Nance is good, but Tony is the best.

Is Romo a slick and polished announcer of course not but then again neither was one of the best ever John Madden with a variety of sidekicks.  How about Keith Jackson and his style in any sport.

It took me a few games to get used to Romo but now he's just fine doing professional football even though he might not be a professional announcer....... just very good at what he does, I'll take it.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

5 hours ago, mjp28 said:

... just very good at what he does, I'll take it.

On top of honest assessments of the level of play of teams, units and individuals, Tony is one of a very few that accurately tells you what is going to happen before a play starts... (Bernie used to do that in preseason broadcasts.)

... and then Tony adds a real joy for the game to his announcing.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, The Gipper said:

I don't think that by any stretch of the imagination that he is the best...when you take the overall qualities of what it means to be a broadcaster. .  He may know his stuff, and he may be astute in relating his knowledge through the fans. .....but I can't get past the fact that his vocal quality is terrible.  He constantly sounds like his throat is full of phlegm.  I keep wanting to say:  clear your goddamn throat. It is terribly distracting to me. So much so that I won't watch one of his broadcasts. I mean, take some Mucinex or something. 

I think that as a color commentator (you call them that, right?) Romo is one of the best. You see he enjoys it, he tells you where you have to look at or what's coming and has chemistry with his play-by-play commentator. He adds to the experience and he has rhythm, which is what I ask for on a color commentator. 

It's funny for me to hear you complain about vocal quality, because Americans seem to be chewing gum when talking but I guess I got used to it, so I'll keep an ear on Romo next time. ;) 

4 hours ago, Nero said:

I think that as a color commentator (you call them that, right?) Romo is one of the best. You see he enjoys it, he tells you where you have to look at or what's coming and has chemistry with his play-by-play commentator. He adds to the experience and he has rhythm, which is what I ask for on a color commentator. 

It's funny for me to hear you complain about vocal quality, because Americans seem to be chewing gum when talking but I guess I got used to it, so I'll keep an ear on Romo next time. ;) 

LOL! I used to tell people that listening to Venezuelan Spanish in comparison to Castilian Spanish was like New York English vs any southern state English. It's like trying to listen to a machinegun vs. a bolt action rifle. One is so fast you can hardly think fast enough and other slow enough to even use the old computer processor I have upstairs and have a decent idea of what was just said. Unless of course she's so damn good looking I wouldn't understand anything anyway in any language because of distractions.💃👙😍

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

LOL! I used to tell people that listening to Venezuelan Spanish in comparison to Castilian Spanish was like New York English vs any southern state English. It's like trying to listen to a machinegun vs. a bolt action rifle. One is so fast you can hardly think fast enough and other slow enough to even use the old computer processor I have upstairs and have a decent idea of what was just said. Unless of course she's so damn good looking I wouldn't understand anything anyway in any language because of distractions.💃👙😍

Venezuelan Spanish is one of the hardest ones to understand, definitely, along with some of Southern Spain. I've had combos with native Spanish friends who agreed with me that we had a harder time trying to understand a friend from Venezuela than another friends from Philippines and Vietnam (who didn't precisely have a good Spanish accent and weren't native speakers...).

1 hour ago, Nero said:

Venezuelan Spanish is one of the hardest ones to understand, definitely, along with some of Southern Spain. I've had combos with native Spanish friends who agreed with me that we had a harder time trying to understand a friend from Venezuela than another friends from Philippines and Vietnam (who didn't precisely have a good Spanish accent and weren't native speakers...).

My Dad was at a gathering in Caracas once and was conversing with a man with whom he had no trouble understanding. He asked him why he sounded so much easier than all the other Venezuelans there. His reply was that he couldn't understand the Venezuelans either because he was from Argentina.😱😂

When my wife took Spanish at Cornell her professor immediately identified where she had gotten her Spanish ( Venezuela). She asked him how he knew. He told her that she ate her s'es "Come las eses!", so that words like  "despues" would sound like "depue". We had a friend from New Jersey that it took us 2 weeks to identify because of his strange English. "What's your name?"  Mock Mowain". "What?" "Mock Mowain". Eventually we realized he was really Mark Mulrain.😁

45 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

My Dad was at a gathering in Caracas once and was conversing with a man with whom he had no trouble understanding. He asked him why he sounded so much easier than all the other Venezuelans there. His reply was that he couldn't understand the Venezuelans either because he was from Argentina.😱😂

When my wife took Spanish at Cornell her professor immediately identified where she had gotten her Spanish ( Venezuela). She asked him how he knew. He told her that she ate her s'es "Come las eses!", so that words like  "despues" would sound like "depue". We had a friend from New Jersey that it took us 2 weeks to identify because of his strange English. "What's your name?"  Mock Mowain". "What?" "Mock Mowain". Eventually we realized he was really Mark Mulrain.😁

Yeah, I would never recommend someone to learn Venezuelan Spanish if they had a chance to choose... 

On 10/14/2020 at 12:44 PM, dusty said:

From 506sports.com

Looks like we get the top dogs from CBS this week!

Capture+_2020-10-14-12-40-24.png

Good News, I can't stand most of them. It's a shame they neutered Romo with his commentary because him predicting how things might go on the field each play was pretty great.  He was just making everyone else look bad and they told him to cool it. lol

6 minutes ago, Vagitron said:

Good News, I can't stand most of them. It's a shame they neutered Romo with his commentary because him predicting how things might go on the field each play was pretty great.  He was just making everyone else look bad and they told him to cool it. lol

I felt the same way when he stopped predicting the calls. What a pitty. 

5 hours ago, Nero said:

I tried having a conversation with a girl from England over the phone once, and after she spit out a few sentences I just shrugged my shoulders and gave up. Couldn't understand a word she said. 

53 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

I tried having a conversation with a girl from England over the phone once, and after she spit out a few sentences I just shrugged my shoulders and gave up. Couldn't understand a word she said. 

Was it a 900 number?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

11 hours ago, Nero said:

OT, but- Nero, my Spanish is terrible now-  I was trained in Castilian Spanish. What was (and still is) difficult for me on a pronunciation level is our southern border Mexicans where Mayan words crept into the vocabulary and geography. Like Ixtapa, Irapuato.  :)   

11 hours ago, Nero said:

I felt the same way when he stopped predicting the calls. What a pitty. 

10 hours ago, Vagitron said:

He got shut down. lol 

I agree, it was terrific live coverage.

He was so damn accurate he was making the rest of the announcers look bad. I began to wonder if Romo had a QBs listening device given him by the O coaches. LOL!📣😁

4 hours ago, hoorta said:

OT, but- Nero, my Spanish is terrible now-  I was trained in Castilian Spanish. What was (and still is) difficult for me on a pronunciation level is our southern border Mexicans where Mayan words crept into the vocabulary and geography. Like Ixtapa, Irapuato.  :)   

So you learnt the PROPER Spanish. Good to know. I'll give you a pass. Ag, still has to prove his value. Spanglish Mexicans are hard to understand too, as my parents have told me when they visited US a long time ago, they asked them to switch to English so my parents could understand them... 

10 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

I worked as a waiter in London in 2013 during the summer break. The closer it was to 'woah' when they asked for water, the more british. WTF:

14 hours ago, Vagitron said:

It's a shame they neutered Romo with his commentary because him predicting how things might go on the field each play was pretty great.  He was just making everyone else look bad and they told him to cool it. lol

Was this actually reported by someone?

I haven't heard him enough this season to detect any changes in his announcing.

3 hours ago, Nero said:

So you learnt the PROPER Spanish. Good to know. I'll give you a pass. Ag, still has to prove his value. Spanglish Mexicans are hard to understand too, as my parents have told me when they visited US a long time ago, they asked them to switch to English so my parents could understand them... 

The most Spanish I learned was when we lived in Caracas for about 10 months. A lot of the TV programs were American ones we had seen before going, but were now being played with Spanish dubbing on Caracas TV, a luxury not had in any other place I lived there. But the best teacher actually came with the house my parents rented. Our maid/cook/confidant was named Lira. She actually came originally from Castilian Spain and did not know a word of English. She had her own quarters outside of the home on the property, but was in the house all day and into the evening cooking, cleaning and conversing with the kids while we started putting into practice the Spanish we had learned from books and a daily 1 hour class at school with a young good looking (distracting to a new teenager) Spanish teacher. Lira was very patient with us and would often repeat things slowly and explain words we did not know. We learned to ask, which is a practice I still follow to this day when in Spanish speaking countries. If I get lost I never feel embarrassed about asking what the word means or asking for a repeat or a slowdown. Otra vez o un poco ma's despacio por favor. I'm so rusty now you will likely hear that a lot when I finally meet you in Spain. 😁

• Like 1

On 10/15/2020 at 8:51 AM, Nero said:

Again taking nothing away from Romo for the things you mentioned. Like I said for me it’s just the phlegm factor. To his voice. And actually what you’re listening to are Europeans trying to do an American accent. They chew gum because they think it makes him sound more American. Ask Jean Reno

10 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Again taking nothing away from Romo for the things you mentioned. Like I said for me it’s just the phlegm factor. To his voice. And actually what you’re listening to are Europeans trying to do an American accent. They chew gum because they think it makes him sound more American. Ask Jean Reno

WEll, I watch a lot of stuff produced in the US by American, probably more than stuff from Europe...

14 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Chewing gum never helped anyone look or be cool in fact most just look like kids especially when eating, talking or walking.  :lol:

1 hour ago, Tour2ma said:

Smoking on the other hand... image.png.18574412d8890dbeb39e759174eacb99.png

With a white tee shirt horn rimmed sunglasses cuffed blue jeans and a chopped Ford coupe...... maybe ?