THE BROWNS BOARD

STEELER WEEK!

Tour2ma

5 minutes ago, SdBacker80 said:

The Steeler offense is a easier to defend now whether or not we defend well Sunday - we shall see.

I sure hope you're right. All I know is last game Big Ben was something like 16-16 for 160 yards and 2 tds on 3rd down. I might be off a tad, but I know he was perfect for a bunch of yards and 2 tds. That's stupid. 

I can't quote -  how is the steeler offense easier to defend? Ben also isn't stationary but they are keeping him clean. He still moved plenty in the pocket. Did you not see what Claypool did last week? If not for a terrible opi call (it was terrible) he would have scored 5 td's. He is 6'4, 225 or bigger and runs a 4.3. All of which isnt talking about Juju, diontae Johnson, James Washington or ebron/McDonald. Ben is still finding his groove too. I don't think a defensive coordinator in the NFL will ever say the steelers are easy to defend. Especially this year which is really the first time in a long time I've seen a legit scheme evolution with all of the motion and jet sweeps. James Connor health permitting is also a very good rb. You are on some serious shit if you think the steelers are easier to defend now. 

18 minutes ago, Vagitron said:

I can't quote how is the steeler offense easier to defend? Ben also isn't stationary but they are keeping him clean. He still moved plenty in the pocket. Did you not see what Claypool did last week? If not for a terrible opi call (it was terrible) he would have scored 5 td's. He is 6'4, 225 or bigger and runs a 4.3. All of which isnt talking about Juju, diontae Johnson, James Washington or ebron/McDonald. Ben is still find his groove too. I don't think a defensive coordinator in the NFL will ever say the steelers are easy to defend. Especially this year which is really the first time in a long time I've seen a legit scheme evolution with alt of motion and jet sweeps. James Connor health permitting is also a very good rb. You are on some serious shit if you think the steelers are easier to defend now. 

It is for the main reason I stated above.  A defensive coordinators worst nightmare is the skill trait that Ben once possessed.   

You could have dialed up the perfect blitz and You could have a clear shot at the QB and sometimes you are able to take the shot but  that’s gone in a second and he scrambles out and makes a throw on the run with his feet barely set after a defensive back is in coverage for 6 plus seconds.  30 years from now If someone asks me about Ben R the football player.  That’s the story I’ll tell. 

Do any Browns fans need to be reminded how many times this has happened over the years? 

Could we see it once or twice this year- I guess.  Weekly - no.  

“EASIER” to defend yes

40 minutes ago, jiggins7919 said:

I sure hope you're right. All I know is last game Big Ben was something like 16-16 for 160 yards and 2 tds on 3rd down. I might be off a tad, but I know he was perfect for a bunch of yards and 2 tds. That's stupid. 

Not sure on the numbers but impressive nonetheless and something we need to be concerned about for sure. 

But most were Down and distance favorable and these aren’t difficult throws. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vagitron said:

I can't quote -  how is the steeler offense easier to defend? Ben also isn't stationary but they are keeping him clean. He still moved plenty in the pocket. Did you not see what Claypool did last week? If not for a terrible opi call (it was terrible) he would have scored 5 td's. He is 6'4, 225 or bigger and runs a 4.3. All of which isnt talking about Juju, diontae Johnson, James Washington or ebron/McDonald. Ben is still finding his groove too. I don't think a defensive coordinator in the NFL will ever say the steelers are easy to defend. Especially this year which is really the first time in a long time I've seen a legit scheme evolution with all of the motion and jet sweeps. James Connor health permitting is also a very good rb. You are on some serious shit if you think the steelers are easier to defend now. 

They are easier to defend now than they were when they had   Leveon Bell and Antonio Brown, and when BR was more mobile.   If you do not think BR is less mobile then you are apparently not watching your own team's games.   Connor cannot come close to Bell.  And while it seems that there is a fair fleet of receivers there, there is no AB.  Claypool had a game.   A game does not a season make...or a career. 

You both are horribly mistaken about Ben in the pocket. He's still the same big qb that can move inside the pocket. He has never been fast. 

Gipper you just don't watch games outside of the Browns. You can say you do but you'd be a damn liar. Brown has been gone for a while now, same with bell. I guess you are going to find out Sunday. 

58 minutes ago, SdBacker80 said:

Not sure on the numbers but impressive nonetheless and something we need to be concerned about for sure. 

But most were Down and distance favorable and these aren’t difficult throws. 

231  yards on  
    27-34

Lots of dinks and dunks.  And a lot of YAC. On the highlights I think he may have thrown 2-3 passes deep. 

8 minutes ago, Vagitron said:

You both are horribly mistaken about Ben in the pocket. He's still the same big qb that can move inside the pocket. He has never been fast. 

Gipper you just don't watch games outside of the Browns. You can say you do but you'd be a damn liar. Brown has been gone for a while now, same with bell. I guess you are going to find out Sunday. 

I watch plenty of football outside of the Browns.  I may not watch the entire games because I am flipping channels to other games...and doing other things.  You delude yourself because you want to delude yourself. 

A saw good chunks of that game Sunday to know this:  BR is nowhere near as mobile as he once was.   He still does OK in moving in the pocket, but not like before. And he has had a very good OL....but what about now? Injury status.   And he protects himself now more by  flicking the ball away quickly than anything else.    

Yes, Bell and Brown have been gone now for a while,   and since they have been gone the Steelers are easier to defend.

Nevertheless....as far as Sunday,  the Steelers still can have a big day against the Browns defense, because you will not find anyone on here, I think, that will be singing the praises of our defensive backfield and LBs.  There is even a fan petition apparently to dump one of them (Sendejo)...who has been pure crap. 

15 minutes ago, Vagitron said:

Never said he was fast but he was very wormy with elite escapability coupled the ability to absorb a clean shot and shake a tackler and then move off a spot on the run and fire a rope that is right on target. 
I can show you highlights but are any of them recent? 
The compliment to your Steelers we should have drafted him and we paid the price for that mistake. The dose of reality to you he’s not the same player.  He has to try to be successful in other ways -  no shame in that either...but the other ways aren’t the old ways and it’s easier on a defense 

For comparison sake, Lamar Jackson is fast and elusive and when he’s on the move (feet not set) he’s all over the place with ball placement especially if he attempted passes 50 yards down the field.   If he’s escaping the pocket most of the time he’s sneaking and not throwing downfield. 

He has to try to be successful in other ways -  no shame in that either...but the other ways aren’t the old ways and it’s easier on a defense 

I think the one person that would confirm what you say would likely be the Steelers OC.  HE is, after all, the one calling the plays that include the dinks, dunks, crossing patterns that call for BR to release the ball very quickly.  Few plays to go downfield are called for that I could tell. 

Now, again...it is working. And it helps that the Squibs run so many pick plays, but it is working.   And it is the sort of thing that our defense can have trouble with. 

16 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

He has to try to be successful in other ways -  no shame in that either...but the other ways aren’t the old ways and it’s easier on a defense 

I think the one person that would confirm what you say would likely be the Steelers OC.  HE is, after all, the one calling the plays that include the dinks, dunks, crossing patterns that call for BR to release the ball very quickly.  Few plays to go downfield are called for that I could tell. 

Now, again...it is working. And it helps that the Squibs run so many pick plays, but it is working.   And it is the sort of thing that our defense can have trouble with. 

Yeah the pick plays, end arounds, WR screens we have our work cut out there to shed blocks and tackle.  Quite honestly our personnel is not equipped to handle it.  Our corners and safeties aside from Joseph aren’t physical and aggressive tacklers.  FYI-  He needs to get healthy for this game.  I mentioned earlier the Colts did a simple WR screen early in the game that got 15 and we had nobody around of course they didn’t go back to anything close to that play design.

It doesn’t take a whole lot of brain power to know that the stuff i mentioned above is coming.  So if we don’t have plan or aren’t able to execute that’s on us.  It is what you see in their games (last week prime example of all of the above) and it’s a must when you factor possible interior line injuries and Andrew V vs Myles Garrett. 

The fake pick play and Claypool release right down the middle for a TD was a catchy play.  I hope we study that well on tape.  

I’ll take the creative play calls within a controlled scheme rather than The old Ben pinball/escape artist with Antonio Brown going deep 

• Like 1

I tell you who concerns me on our team is Peoples-Jones. That guy looks so slow running the ball out and he holds onto it with one hand. I'm not kidding, he's carrying it like a loaf a bread, and if I can see it, THEY can see it. I'd be surprised if they didn't kick to him every time so we don't get it at the 25 and we have to run it. He's going to fumble unless he drastically changes his technique, and if that's gonna happen, it's going to happen against Pittsburgh. 😂

• Upvote 1

Ben can throw the ball deep, no issue. Our current scheme is less deep bombs and it has shit to do with Ben's arm strength and everything to do with the influence of Matt Canada. Ben is on the record saying his arm has hurt for 14 years and this year is the first it hasn't. I swear you guys don't watch the games but then make these takes. Gipper issues them like they are written in stone. (He's old and adorable)

And that throw over the middle to Claypool was 100% Ben. He changed the play at the line and made the throw. You all are hilariously under selling Ben but it's been a running theme since he was drafted. I'm not sure when you all are gonna wise up.  

2 hours ago, Vagitron said:

Ben can throw the ball deep, no issue. Our current scheme is less deep bombs and it has shit to do with Ben's arm strength and everything to do with the influence of Matt Canada. Ben is on the record saying his arm has hurt for 14 years and this year is the first it hasn't. I swear you guys don't watch the games but then make these takes. Gipper issues them like they are written in stone. (He's old and adorable)

You are young and ignorant.   If you don't think that your OC isn't scheming those plays to save BRs arm....you are just obtuse.  But that is nothing unusual.

And I don't see why you feel the need to deny.  What he is doing seems to be working well.  BR has about a half dozen long throws in him a game.  You showed one that hit.  You didn't show several others that were completely off. 

Nevertheless, per the play by play,   BR threw  42 passes.

Per the play by play, only 4 were described as "Deep"

Of his completions......19 of them were for single digit yards.  9 or less.....so not really much YAC even on these. 

9 of his completions were between 11 and 17 yards.

3 were for over 20 yards...including  a couple for the long TDs. 

What I don't know, and don't know where to get it,  is how much of the yardage in that game by the Steelers was  YAC. But when only 3 pass plays went for over 20 yards YAC may not have been a huge factor. 

https://www.espn.com/nfl/playbyplay?gameId=401220175

4 hours ago, jiggins7919 said:

I tell you who concerns me on our team is Peoples-Jones. That guy looks so slow running the ball out and he holds onto it with one hand. I'm not kidding, he's carrying it like a loaf a bread, and if I can see it, THEY can see it. I'd be surprised if they didn't kick to him every time so we don't get it at the 25 and we have to run it. He's going to fumble unless he drastically changes his technique, and if that's gonna happen, it's going to happen against Pittsburgh. 😂

I was thinking the same thing Sunday.  He is fumble or a stupid play (almost two weeks ago) waiting to happen.   He’s a 4th WR that is going to fight for a roster spot every year definitely not a Special Teams guy.  Putting aside my Hate toward Michigan, he’s not the UM WR you want it’s Nico Collins.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

Yeah the pick plays, end arounds, WR screens we have our work cut out there to shed blocks and tackle.  Quite honestly our personnel is not equipped to handle it.  Our corners and safeties aside from Joseph aren’t physical and aggressive tacklers.  FYI-  He needs to get healthy for this game.  I mentioned earlier the Colts did a simple WR screen early in the game that got 15 and we had nobody around of course they didn’t go back to anything close to that play design.

heard on the radio today, Obi and Joseph will be back for the game. At least I think that was it  - to be fair, I saw Sendejo (#23) make a few good plays the last couple of games. One was a great play - broke up the screen and took out the guy behind the los.

the other one I don't remember, because it was in a giant pile of strands of hay - bad plays. If Joseph and Harrison (possible? concussion protocol) have to miss - Redwine can play. But Sendejo...nope. I give up. Me, I would start Jevante Moffatt at fs vs the squealers.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Vagitron said:

I can't quote

Then just type out the post to which you are replying...

... and don't forget the quotation marks.

7 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

The fake pick play and Claypool release right down the middle for a TD was a catchy play.  

Sendejo will be all over it... 😮

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

I was thinking the same thing Sunday.  He is fumble or a stupid play (almost two weeks ago) waiting to happen.   He’s a 4th WR that is going to fight for a roster spot every year definitely not a Special Teams guy.  Putting aside my Hate toward Michigan, he’s not the UM WR you want it’s Nico Collins.

Well, we need to give him time. He is a raw rookie.  I think some have said  (even Woody maybe) that he could have used another year in college ball.  And, he was, after all, only the #189 pick.  Not a lot expected of him.  I can only counsel patience when it comes to him. 

1 hour ago, The Gipper said:

Well, we need to give him time. He is a raw rookie.  I think some have said  (even Woody maybe) that he could have used another year in college ball.  And, he was, after all, only the #189 pick.  Not a lot expected of him.  I can only counsel patience when it comes to him. 

Maybe ease him in a little more. 5/10 offense plays a game?   Not a fan of putting him in a spot at this point where ball security can come into question 

Okay boys and girls.  Can anyone confirm what the hell is going on with the mobile interface for the board? It is near unusable now.  I jumped on my lap top. 

I will also be shocked if Pouncey doesn't play as he looked fine closing out that game.  I doubt Decastro does.  I assume Johnson may also be told to take it slow on a return to prevent further injury. We have the depth so he can sit if necessary.