THE BROWNS BOARD

STEELER WEEK!

Tour2ma

2 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

That being said, the line is -3 Pittsburgh.  I'm taking them to cover, but not by much.

Considering the game is in Pittsburgh, basically this game is a push.

Pretty amazing, considering the Browns have won in single digits in Pittsburgh in the last 50 years. 

3 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

Ebron can handle himself, the dude has bricks for hands.

That being said, the line is -3 Pittsburgh.  I'm taking them to cover, but not by much.

Whats the over under?

8 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Updates... and it ain't good... Teller and Joseph OUT.

image.png.ebc427bffa0ed1dd4732c0ca2df39b86.png

image.png.a179972843f75f14cf05246545836e91.png

I really don't know what we're going to do on defense. The Steelers' offense is cooking right now and I think we'd have a tough time stopping them if healthy, but now we look like such a MASH unit that I don't see a plausible way of stopping them consistently. 

The issue is time. The strength of our defense is our DL, but that's not going to matter much to Ben because he leads the league in quickest release (2.2 seconds) and virtually all of their passing attack stems from quick hitters and drag routes across the middle. Where is our defense most vulnerable? Yeah...right there. When you factor in all of the injuries, it really looks bad, mainly because Pittsburgh doesn't turn it over, and that's largely how our defense has made up for several shortcomings. 

Offensively, it doesn't look much better. We're totally and utterly beat up, with Teller and Chubb both out (our best players minus Myles so far) and we're going up against one of the best rush defenses in the league. We saw last week that our powerful rushing attack was largely stymied by a stout defense, and while Hubbard provided solid pass protection, he was nowhere near as effective in the run game. (DeForest Buckner is also not fun to play against btw) 

Perhaps most importantly, Baker Mayfield is injured, and it's likely worse than the he's letting on. I also think he hurt more than just his ribs and that his shoulder and/or wrist is hurt. Of all the effing games to be injured in, it's THIS one. The game where Mayfield is going to be hit the most. It's terrible luck and it's not going to surprise me if he doesn't make it all game. 

The Steelers have some important injuries as well but not as dramatic as ours. I almost think it's worth resting Mayfield for this game so he can rest his injuries and get a solid two weeks of healing. Of course that would never happen because this game is just too important, but the car can be made to heal Baker up because I can promise you one thing....Baker will not be feeling ANY better on Monday morning. We risk losing him for more time, but whatever. It's hardly worth talking about because it won't happen. 

My last point isn't fun to discuss, but it's something that is being pointed out week after week. Baker is missing too many easy reads and continues to avoid hitting the RB out of the backfield. I've seen multiple film reviews that all say and show the same thing. Baker is simply missing far too many EASY plays and it's got to stop. I'm not even talking about the high throws that he still does, I'm talking about missing wide open easy throws that are directly in his line of sight. Can he fix this? I don't know. It's rather mind-melting that it happens at all. He's not finding the passing lanes, he's not climbing the pocket, and he's not hitting check downs. 

And yet we're winning and he's still playing pretty well despite the shortcomings. I'm very proud of Baker and I definitely AM seeing some progress, but he really needs to find some way to increase his percentage of making simple completions when they present themselves. OBJ is beginning to get a bit frustrated, and I don't blame him. Baker missed him a ton the last two weeks and it's hard to watch at times. The good news is that it's Baker's first year in the system and he's still playing WINNING football. He's got the tools to be better, but I don't think we should be too harsh on him this weekend if he doesn't play well. This game is not shaping up to be great for us, but you never know....any given Sunday!

I'm 4-1 calling games this year, and unfortunately I'm predicting Steelers 36 and Browns 19.

• Sad 1
  • Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, jiggins7919 said:

I'm 4-1 calling games this year, and unfortunately I'm predicting Steelers 36 and Browns 19.

Great post! But you have the score wrong. lol I'm calling Browns 51-31. lol

dammit.

• Like 1

Can we get Jiggins to change his name to "Panic Pete?" 😂  we are now allowing weed smoking on the outside patio Tavern;)  🤫 We can't tell Tour2ma 🤭

It's Not easy finding a team weakness between these 2 teams.. The one that sets up well for us would be "Pittsburgh ranks dead last (32) in the NFL in 'open field tackling".. And they ain't played a team that blocks as well downfield as our RB/TE*/*WR* core... This is not the game to see Baker hold on to the ball longer than 3 seconds in pocket. Get the ball out, and let the playmakers go to work downfield on passing downs..Stef won't miss this, cause it's that clear on pitts. gametape.. This early, while mixing in the RB's playbook, should lead to taking some, single cover deep shots if called for.. Were the offense with the most Offensive weapons.. This game will take using every single one of them//

Running the ball directional charts will show you don't run east & west against this team.. The ground & pound game goes north & south, between the 2 tackles in this one.The push has to happen at C & both G's.We can't see slow developing running plays & RB's can't set-up to deep in the backfield. Tape shows these are quick hitters,with not much wasted steps in hitting these holes.. We will certainly see what we fixed in pass pro, in the tackle position upgrades of Conklin & Wills 👀..Both teams missing starting Guards feels like a true dead heat scratch till further review..

Good to see is our front defensive 7 may be back & ready to go in this one.. But, No wonder we drafted a Safety with our 2nd pick..Drafting 3 more may have been a better idea<_<... S Karl Joseph will be out again just like the Colts game. Ronnie Harrison played 37 snaps..RedWine saw his first 19 defensive snaps finishing up for Harrison, who will now also be out vs. Pittsburgh with a concussion.. So we Rock & Rollout Sendejo & Redwine at starting Safeties.. watching for a PS add most likely would be S Jovante Moffatt who was brought up last week to 53.. But they also have liked protecting PS player S **Elijah Benton..stay tuned..

We can do this, and the 17 years of losing at Pittsburgh's jinx house could come off the books also.. This team was built to knock the losing jinx walls down.. It's their time to make their own history books..And we're all sure, as heck Enjoying this ride!! Win or Lose..  Go Browns!!

• Upvote 1

I actually think that the Colts were the tougher matchup.  I thought we were 27-20 Colts if Leonard and Castonzo played and i Figured we flip that given they were out.  I think you block the edge you got opportunities on this offense and we certainly have the interior Oline to win some battles and get some yards rushing.  I worry about a letdown from us because of two emotional wins in a row and a beat up team 

if we know that the Steelers like to get the ball out quickly and i saw it against the Giants, Broncos and Eagles.  It is time for press coverage and the hope that Garrett can disrupt things before bigger plays happen downfield. The bigger knock on Claypool coming out of the Notre Dame was route running and getting off press coverage.  Pretty common with young WRs still it is worth noting it.  And the Steelers outside of JuJu are very young at the position. 

I don’t want 8-10 off the ball against their WRs and crappy tackling and literally no pass rush because we give up the short stuff.  We will lose.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, SdBacker80 said:

I actually think that the Colts were the tougher matchup.  I thought we were 27-20 Colts if Leonard and Castonzo played and i Figured we flip that given they were out.  I think you block the edge you got opportunities on this offense and we certainly have the interior Oline to win some battles and get some yards rushing.

if we know that the Steelers like to get the ball out quickly and i saw it against the Giants, Broncos and Eagles.  It is time for press coverage and the hope that Garrett can disrupt things before bigger plays happen downfield. The bigger knock on Claypool coming out of the Notre Dame was route running and getting off press coverage.  Pretty common with young WRs still it is worth noting it.  And the Steelers outside of JuJu are very young at the position. 

I don’t want 8-10 off the ball against their WRs and crappy tackling and literally no pass rush because we give up the short stuff.  We will lose.

I think that's the way to go. 2 years ago we used to give 10 yards every single play. No big plays, but no stops either. And the actual Steelers seem like an ideal team to get that. 

55 minutes ago, calfoxwc said:

Great post! But you have the score wrong. lol I'm calling Browns 51-31. lol

Man, I like your score so much better! I'll tell you this, if we DO somehow pull it out, the hype train will be unstoppable. Maybe I should be more considerate of all we've accomplished so far, but Pittsburgh is just that ONE team, ya know? Hope we stomp them though! 

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, SdBacker80 said:

It is time for press coverage and the hope that Garrett can disrupt things before bigger plays happen downfield. The bigger knock on Claypool coming out of the Notre Dame was route running and getting off press coverage.  Pretty common with young WRs still it is worth noting it.  And the Steelers outside of JuJu are very young at the position. 

^^ good defensive mindset coaches thinking here..Correct on the Claypool college scouting. Handcuff him & quit watching him run around.. Ward or Mitchell can stay in Claypools back pocket..I also like Kevin Johnson & MJ Steward doing the same on others..With D.Johnson out for Pitt. we may lose Mitchell to cover Ray Ray McCloud? but luv the attacking thoughts & we can't sit back & watch from the back car seat..Correct, we lose in this loose type of coverage

Quit reading the Browns Board Andrew Berry 🤓 

#Browns  elevated S Elijah Benton to the active roster from the practice squad and will revert back to it following Sunday’s game

Safeties Moffett & Benton both active 53

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, gumby73 said:

Can we get Jiggins to change his name to "Panic Pete?" 😂  we are now allowing weed smoking on the outside patio Tavern;)  🤫 We can't tell Tour2ma 🤭

Panic Pete it is! 😂

Listen, we beat Pittsburgh and I'm going to be the conductor on the hype train. CHOO-CHOO BITCH! Lol. 

We haven't beaten them at Pittsburgh since that fateful Sunday night back in 2003 when my friend and I scraped up our money and flew up there to see Tim  Couch destroy those guys! Maybe it's time. 🤞

• Upvote 2

The BROWNS are looking at either 5-1 or 4-2 square in the eye and now many of us are getting nervous.

I guess that also can be good having "big game jitters".  Meanwhile BAL -9.5 should win and CIN +7.5 should lose......if you believe in those tea leaves.

GO BROWNS +3.5, I guess we will find out in about 25 hours what happens !

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, gumby73 said:
  1. 7 hours ago, gumby73 said:
  1. ...we are now allowing weed smoking on the outside patio Tavern;)  🤫 We can't tell Tour2ma 🤭
  2. This is not the game to see Baker hold on to the ball longer than 3 seconds in pocket. Get the ball out, and let the playmakers go to work downfield on passing downs.
  3. Running the ball directional charts will show you don't run east & west against this team.. The ground & pound game goes north & south, between the 2 tackles in this one.The push has to happen at C & both G's.We can't see slow developing running plays & RB's can't set-up to deep in the backfield. Tape shows these are quick hitters,with not much wasted steps in hitting these holes.
  4. Good to see is our front defensive 7 may be back & ready to go in this one.
  5. We can do this, and the 17 years of losing at Pittsburgh's jinx house could come off the books also.. This team was built to knock the losing jinx walls down.. It's their time to make their own history books..And we're all sure, as heck Enjoying this ride!! Win or Lose..  Go Browns!!
  1. As Jerry Garcia would say... Don't bogart that joint my friend...
  2. 3 seconds would be at least 0.5 too long. Willis will need help early and often vs. Dupree. Handling speed has been the one weakness he has shown and he knows it... most of the wins against him have been the rusher crossing his face when he sets wide for the edge rush. Gonna need a dose of "Chip" Hooper to counter that.
  3. Theirs is a fast D, so yes, more power runs at them are the RX, but Inside ZBS should work as well.
  4. May be back-ish... going to be playing hurt, if not injured.
  5. We can, but gotta agree with Typ Browns 50... we're too beat up this go 'round. It's more than just the ones who won't be able to go, we're going to be playing hurt. Week 17? Could be a very different story... perhaps even one with playoff implications for both teams.

One other thought on a point someone made above...

If PTG does feature the quick passing game, e.g. WR quick slants and circles to RBs, look for us to soft rush one or two of our front 4 and have them play the passing lanes. Should get some PDs for them, if not INTs...

I would like to see what MG does with a pick tho... :)

1 hour ago, Tour2ma said:
  2. 3 seconds would be at least 0.5 too long. Willis will need help early and often vs. Dupree. Handling speed has been the one weakness he has shown and he knows it...

Conversely I've been wondering how bad Wills will maul Dupree if they get matched up on that weakside zone we seem to love.

You run right at speed rushers like Dupree and Watt and stay out of 3rd and +5.  They will probably make a few plays backside that some guys won’t make, but if we are going to win tomorrow Hunt and Johnson need to have big days.  

We will get a few chances on play action too as they have some guys in that back 4 that will give up the big play.

I’m not marking down a loss yet.  We are banged up and we are coming off a couple huge wins and the tank me be bit empty (or its made us hungrier we will find out).  The Steelers are not a juggernaut this season.  And I expect us to come out swinging and maybe a hit few plays and commit a few dumb penalties revved up for this one. 

Defensively I want Ben to beat us downfield don’t let his WRs have space and the. Easy pitch and catch and 8-10 yards. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

Conversely I've been wondering how bad Wills will maul Dupree if they get matched up on that weakside zone we seem to love.

I'd say pretty badly if Dupree tries to stand his ground, but these days the speed guys "pick a side" just like my coaches told me not to do about 5 decades ago...

... of course I was never "a speed guy"... so there's that...

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Tour2ma said:

I'd say pretty badly if Dupree tries to stand his ground, but these days the speed guys "pick a side" just like my coaches told me not to do about 5 decades ago...

Dupree is a massive human being.  He's at or over 270 pounds. He's also incredibly stout against the run.  All i know is if the Browns plan to block either with tight ends they are going to be in for a rude awakening and that seems to happen a lot with you all.

1 hour ago, Vagitron said:

Dupree is a massive human being.  He's at or over 270 pounds. He's also incredibly stout against the run.  All i know is if the Browns plan to block either with tight ends they are going to be in for a rude awakening and that seems to happen a lot with you all.

Probably gets his roids from the same place Harrison does.

17 hours ago, jiggins7919 said:

The issue is time. The strength of our defense is our DL, but that's not going to matter much to Ben because he leads the league in quickest release (2.2 seconds.)

That is quite a transformation from the guy who held on to the ball forever. In his old age, he doesn't want to get hit and he doesn't want to run around anymore. He's not throwing downfield much and has become a dink-and-dunk, quick release, pocket passer. 

This game makes me so happy, because this is what I have always wanted, a competitive Browns team. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Dick Mellon said:

This game makes me so happy, because this is what I have always wanted, a competitive Browns team. 

PREACH brother! 

19 hours ago, gumby73 said:

Quit reading the Browns Board Andrew Berry 🤓 

#Browns  elevated S Elijah Benton to the active roster from the practice squad and will revert back to it following Sunday’s game

Safeties Moffett & Benton both active 53

Thatta boy Gumbs!   To dumb jock an old phrase "if the only thing we have to fear is fear itself - why add the only opponent that can beat us today?"

Efficient planning at Safety - good foresight by you earlier on.

Injuries can also be a time to shine.  Without them, Brian Sipe would still just be a 13th round draft pick with the arm of a girl scout instead of the type of talent that could become a  League MVP in 1980.  The LAST season we won a Playoff Game - Eric Metcalf and Touchdown-Free Tommy Vardell were supposed to combine efforts for the bulk of the workload.  Leroy Hoard ended up being the Back that helped us to an 11-5 record.  He did such a good job running the ball down the esophagus of our opponents( inclusive of NFC East playoff fronts like Dallas and Philly) that he made the Pro Bowl at a position he didn't even play (Fullback).

This team has talent to tap on both sides of the ball.  It isn't 4-1 by accident.  If you're not proud of this team - you need a new hobby. There's also a reason we re-signed a great attitude and experienced starter/vet like Chris Hubbard to be ready to give us quality if we lose a guy like Teller. 

I even get the sense if Baker doesn't look like he can be effective - we'll see the reason why Case Keenum is here.  

If, for some reason the Browns don't win today, don't be a pussy crying in here.  Just understand the schedule gives us another opportunity at home to even the score. This can be a fun season if you allow it to be...

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

😆 I got that speech once upon a time too.  "Olay leads to Oh No!"  I did that in an Okie drill as a defender to the tune of "Now you see why I like you WAY BETTER at OG Flugel!"

It gets better.  I said "Coach, I just stuffed the run." 

He got loud and said "You stuffed nothing. Do you see the sod all over his face mask?  That's because he had his head down and you got a gimme. IS IT OKAY IF I DO THE COACHING FROM HERE ON OUT?

• Haha 1