THE BROWNS BOARD

STEELER WEEK!

Tour2ma

11 minutes ago, Vagitron said:

The Texans nor the eagles are bad teams. You really think the Browns are going to have an easy go running against our front? I don't care who we've played. You saw the defense last year. It nearly carried a horrendous offense to a playoff birth. You all got routed by the Ravens. You beat the Colts but they are 3-1 in a so/so division and Old Phil ain't great. Sooo what are we talking about here?  

I'm fairly certain Vince Williams is 1st or 2nd in TFL's. We then have Dupree/Watt and Bush plus Alualu who has had a career resurgence. Cam Heyward and Tuitt. You have not faced a front like ours, not even the Ravens compare. I've been saying any given Sunday, I'm not taking this game lightly but it's always the same m.o around here with downplaying the steelers. 

I expect tough sledding for the Browns run game. You then have to stop Ben and Co. I obviously have a bias but you all should be more worried than you are. The Browns do not match up well. 

I think that no one is saying that we match up well at all. Every reasonable Browns' fan knows that it will be very hard to win the Steelers as of today.

But:

1. This team has improved from last year in some key aspects (coaching, Oline, Baker) and if I remember correctly we won you one game last year. 
2. Let's say the 1-4 Texans and the 1-3-1 Eagles are not bad teams. They rank 15th and 26th on rushing yards. Wentz has 9 INTs (most in the league). They are 28 and 30th on sacks allowed per game. 29-30 on turnover ratio. We can admit that they're not shining in thes season beginning. 
3. I think Steelers offense is the key here, as you said, but I don't think after the injury and father time your offense is better than last seasons, in which, once again, we got to beat you last year and we tied in the 2018 opener by pure luck. 

I expect a great game and if any fan of either Browns or Steelers looks down on the other team, as of today, is making a mistake. Having said that, I think we have the tools to win. 

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Vagitron said:

You were one with nick chubb and hunt. Chubb is out. We held Barkley to near negative yardage before he blew out his knee. 

NYG's Oline was ranked as dead last by Football Outsiders before Week 5, and I don't think it improved it's rating this weekend. 

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/nfl/offensive-line/2020

3 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

By what measure?

In passer rating he's 3rd behind Big Ben and Lamar in the AFCN...

... unless you include Landry's 158.3 and OBJ's 118.8...

... which still leaves him ahead of Burrows.

By conference,  I assume he means the entire AFC, not just the division.  Is he really claiming that  Baker is ranked  16th of all the QBs in the AFC? ...by whatever measure? 

Oh I'm aware Ben is the same age. The difference is Ben hasn't lost his game. He himself has said he's had elbow pain for the better part of 14 years and this season is the first without it. He's still finding his touch which is why he was upset with the titans game getting postponed. Ben > Rivers and frankly it's never been close contrary to former fantasy football metrics. 

Oh I'm aware Ben is the same age. The difference is Ben hasn't lost his game. He himself has said he's had elbow pain for the better part of 14 years and this season is the first without it. He's still finding his touch which is why he was upset with the titans game getting postponed. Ben > Rivers and frankly it's never been close contrary to former fantasy football metrics. 

2 hours ago, hoorta said:

I don't get what's up with how they're assigning who gets what game anymore CBC\FOX.  By all rights both the Browns and Bengals should be CBS. But thankfully they're not. The Bengals\Colts are FOX, Browns\Steelers CBS. 506 sports week 6 isn't out yet, but I'll be surprised if the Browns game isn't the National broadcast one... Glad that's the case, as I dropped Sunday Ticket for this year. Wouldn't have been able to DVR the game at home. Fortunately, the group of guys I watch the game with has Sunday Ticket. (And I'll be able to hang out with them- my covid quarantine is over on Saturday. Apparently the person who tested positive wasn't contagious yet. Everyone else who who was at that dinner tested negative. :) )  So a word of advice- be careful out there- even someone you know could be positive, and doesn't know it.  

Greedy to IR yup...  https://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/cb-greedy-williams-heading-to-injured-reserve-could-return-this-season

Nerve injury, the docs thought best to shut him down for a few weeks.... MHO is the league should make that 3 week return, and you can put an unlimited number of players eligible to return permanent.

You're about the only one who is constantly giving Vag crap BTW. I enjoy his takes.   

So? It is no longer politically correct round here to plant facials on Steeler fans?  

What kind of snowflakes have we become that we catch bitch slap stupid Steeler fans?  Yes, I pull the wings off that little fly,  mostly time in an attempt to counter his absolute homerism.   Some of the  the time in jest, sometimes in earnest.  But, seriously....when did this become the place for the limp wristed? . 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Canton Dawg said:

Well, let’s take a peek at the teams Pitt has faced so far and where their rushing offense ranks in the league:

NY Giants ranked #32 (yep dead last)

Denver ranked #29

Houston ranked #30

Philly ranked #18

The Browns are #1 so we’re going to find out how good they are at stopping the run.

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/rushing-yards-per-game

His counter arguement, not that I fully buy it necessarily , could be that those teams are so low rated because they had to pay their defense.  To a very small extent that is true.  But the Steeler's were only one of like 5 defenses those teams had to play....so they were bad against everyone, not just them. 

2 hours ago, Vagitron said:

The Texans nor the eagles are bad teams. You really think the Browns are going to have an easy go running against our front? I don't care who we've played. You saw the defense last year. It nearly carried a horrendous offense to a playoff birth. You all got routed by the Ravens. You beat the Colts but they are 3-1 in a so/so division and Old Phil ain't great. Sooo what are we talking about here?  

I'm fairly certain Vince Williams is 1st or 2nd in TFL's. We then have Dupree/Watt and Bush plus Alualu who has had a career resurgence. Cam Heyward and Tuitt. You have not faced a front like ours, not even the Ravens compare. I've been saying any given Sunday, I'm not taking this game lightly but it's always the same m.o around here with downplaying the steelers. 

I expect tough sledding for the Browns run game. You then have to stop Ben and Co. I obviously have a bias but you all should be more worried than you are. The Browns do not match up well. 

Is anyone else going to counter this purile  BS....or is it left up to me.  You all have at it. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Vagitron said:

This message board is also totally fucked if you are on your phone. I don't know who needs to know that these days but it's borderline unusable. 

Yep, it certainly is.

In regards to the game, my main concern is the Steelers speed on offense vs our secondary. I also worry about the officiating- funny things happen in Steeler home games. 

Also, Baker has to be the guy we saw in the 1st half yesterday. I do think it will be tough to run on the Steelers, but they'll continue to try.

Question.....did James Connor ever find a better barber? 😂

27 minutes ago, Vagitron said:

Ben is not better than Rivers.  They are very close.   Ben HAS had better coaching than Rivers, better surrounding players than Rivers for the most part, much, much better defenses to play with than Rivers over the years. . Rivers stats are better.  And, I don't know about him not losing his game.  The jury is still out there.  He has become a dinker/dunker for the most part.  So far his yards per attempt and yards per catch are at the lowest of his career, except for his injury year last year....and his ypc is helped tremendously by a lot of YAC....even then, he still has the lowest numbers in his career in those areas....but his completion pct. is at its best...courtesy of the 3-5 yard passes.   

But, hey, if that is what he can do, and it works.....as it seems to be doing, then by all means go with the flow. 

And, by the way, it is likely good strategy vs. the Browns.  Our LBs who would have a lot of the responsibility for covering those dinks and dunks and not letting them good much YAC...are really kind of bad at that. 

2 hours ago, Vagitron said:

You all got routed by the Ravens. You beat the Colts but they are 3-1 in a so/so division and Old Phil ain't great. Sooo what are we talking about here?  

There was a damn good reason we got routed by the Ravens. Call it essentially no team practices and no preseason in a new system. The schedule makers did the Browns no favors playing the Division champs on the road for the opener. OTOH, Ravens were able to hit the ground running. Baker in his 4th? offensive system. The bold is straight homerism.... BTW, PFF currently has Bush with a sub 60 rating, that means sort of sucky.... 

10 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Is anyone else going to counter this purile  BS....or is it left up to me.  You all have at it. 

Done.... 

1 minute ago, Kvoethe said:

Ben leading the league in time to get rid of the ball.  He's not taking the hits and throwin quick.  I hope we gameplan accordingly

Indeed.  He is mainly just grabbing it and shooting it out with all those short passes.    He needs to do that so as not to get sacked, as he is now as immobile as Rivers is.  He will want no part of holding the ball more than like 3 seconds as he will not want to give Garrett the chance to get at him. Again, a fair an appropriate approach on his part.  Let's just hope our LBs and DBs can do a better job of coverage on all those short crossing routes they are going to run. 

12 minutes ago, Kvoethe said:

Ben leading the league in time to get rid of the ball.  He's not taking the hits and throwin quick.  I hope we gameplan accordingly

We need to shed blocks and tackle well on the perimeter.  

The Colts had a quick WR screen early that worked well and I was thinking here we go...and they didn’t go back to it.  The Steelers utilize it a handful of times each game 

This message board is also totally fucked if you are on your phone. I don't know who needs to know that these days but it's borderline unusable. 

10 minutes ago, Vagitron said:

Why are you repeating a post?.

And yes, I have had that problem at times, and at other times it comes on properly.  Dunno what's going on. 

I am going to be gone for 2 weeks this month.  If it comes out that way on my phone, you won't be hearing from me. 

I can't quote anyone right now because this board is so fucked up on mobile. What happened over the last few weeks? 

Hoorta PFF ain't the best but since you want to use it this was from before the season and not a single thing has changed. Check the qb pressures/sacks for the Steeler front seven to this point. 

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-defensive-line-rankings-all-32-units-entering-the-2020-nfl-season

You can call me a Homer. I will defend my teams until I physically can't. However I don't just fire shit out of my ass. I watch a lot of games, not just the steelers. 

3 hours ago, Vagitron said:
  • The Texans nor the eagles are bad teams. You really think the Browns are going to have an easy go running against our front? I don't care who we've played. You saw the defense last year. It nearly carried a horrendous offense to a playoff birth. You all got routed by the Ravens. You beat the Colts but they are 3-1 in a so/so division and Old Phil ain't great. Sooo what are we talking about here?  
  • I'm fairly certain Vince Williams is 1st or 2nd in TFL's. We then have Dupree/Watt and Bush plus Alualu who has had a career resurgence. Cam Heyward and Tuitt. You have not faced a front like ours, not even the Ravens compare. I've been saying any given Sunday, I'm not taking this game lightly but it's always the same m.o around here with downplaying the steelers. 
  • I expect tough sledding for the Browns run game. You then have to stop Ben and Co. I obviously have a bias but you all should be more worried than you are. The Browns do not match up well. 
  • The Texans weren't playing for BillO... the Iggles D is decent but their OL is a hot mess... Our OL? Anything but... and if Teller is a go fuggedaboutit...
  • Not saying it'll be easy... but we will run on you. Book it. Buck-forty min...
  • Last year is last year, but since you brought it up you were 14th in rushing yards allowed. Where your D shone was in takeaways.
  • Yes, we got handled by BLT, but Stef hadn't figured out our O at that point. Remember new system, precious little camp and no preseason. We are starting to get it now.

• If you play everyone you listed at once, then I'm pretty sure that'll draw a flag.
  • The Ravens' D (5th in rushing yards allowed) was better than your D (14th) against the run last year and I suspect they still are. And as I intimated above we've had our preseason now.
  • Downplay? Moi? Just supplying a lil reality check.
  • You've not seen an OL like ours this year. It's really good and with Teller in the lineup it's borderline great. Just ask PFF...

• I expect a slugfest. I am concerned (I save my worrying for life-important things). My concern doesn't mean we won't run on you, we will... we have to... Ben can't hurt us from the sideline... that's our recipe this year and it's the best D we have to bring to your house. Plus it sets up our play-action attack. Does Joe still like to peek?
  • What is this "bias" of which you speak? And how do I get some? ;)

1 hour ago, Vagitron said:

OMG!

Vag has caught GPS... Gipper Phone Syndrome.

Now their arguments will be twice as boring.

43 minutes ago, Vagitron said:

I could say 2+2 is 4 and you'd argue with me about it

Well it's not...

... in base 3 or less...

... actually base 4 as well where 2+2 = 10.

Can't believe I actually remember 4th grade, "new math"...

I can't quote anyone right now because this board is so fucked up on mobile. What happened over the last few weeks? 

Hoorta PFF ain't the best but since you want to use it this was from before the season and not a single thing has changed. Check the qb pressures/sacks for the Steeler front seven to this point. 

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-defensive-line-rankings-all-32-units-entering-the-2020-nfl-season

You can call me a Homer. I will defend my teams until I physically can't. However I don't just fire shit out of my ass. I watch a lot of games, not just the steelers. 

Is there a point you are trying to make here?

Gipper I'm also not responding you. It's full tilt a waste of my time. I could say 2+2 is 4 and you'd argue with me about it. I'm even less likely to respond with the board all fucked up. 

It is a waste of your time only because you want to spend your time finding someone to swallow  your horseshit....and you know I ain't that guy.   The Problem is you never say 2+2=4.   You always say that  .5+.5+.5+.5 = the best/greatest number 2 on earth.   And what it is is just a pile of No. 2. 

1 hour ago, Tour2ma said:

OMG!

Vag has caught GPS... Gipper Phone Syndrome.

Now their arguments will be twice as boring.

Twice as boring, perhaps.....but nevertheless, at twice as boring they are still 10 times more interesting than just about anything you put on here rather than just 20 times.   Ben Stein ain't got nothin' on you. 

8 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Can't believe I actually remember 4th grade, "new math"...

Thank God I am too old to have seen that. Prolly explains the math portion of the SAT and GRE around 700 (before they added another 100 points which is ridiculous math).

13 hours ago, Vagitron said:

He most certainly has lost the most effective component of his game.  He was a pinball with uncanny elusiveness and then had the ability to throw a perfect dime 50 yards downfield.  There is no defense for that kind of ability.  The guy could wiggle free from a LB and then shake off a sack from a DE and not lose the ability to find a WR deep and make the throw.  

He’s definitely more stationary now and from what I’ve seen thus far this year he’s a distributor in the offense. I recall in the Denver game he had a “tough” throw he had to make in the back corner of the end zone he put it about three yards shy of the WR into the defenders hands (he dropped it).

You’ve pointed out the WR depth.  You could argue depth.  But There is no Lev Bell in his prime or Antonio Brown in his prime with his head screwed on straight. 

The Steeler offense is a easier to defend now whether or not we defend well Sunday - we shall see.