THE BROWNS BOARD

PFF Puts Teller, Conklin and Garrett on Their Q1 All-Pro Team

Tour2ma

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-first-quarter-all-pro-team-2020

RG Wyatt Teller, Cleveland Browns

One of the biggest surprise performances of the season has been the play of Wyatt Teller at right guard for the Browns. Teller had the best PFF grade of any player at any position in Week 4, but he has been excellent even outside of that game — he's been a different player to anything we have seen from him in his career before this season. Teller’s overall PFF grade is 94.1, and he has allowed just three hurries across three games while dominating on the ground. The worst run-blocking grade of his season is 78.7, with the other three being at least 84.0. Teller has been a huge part of Cleveland’s offensive success.

Second Team: Zack Martin, Dallas Cowboys

RT Jack Conklin, Cleveland Browns

Along with Teller, the arrival of Jack Conklin has transformed Cleveland’s offensive line. Jedrick Wills Jr. has held up well on the other side of the line at left tackle, but Jack Conklin was made for this offensive system and has been able to bulldoze players on the ground, especially with combination blocks with Teller inside. Conklin has also been good as a pass-blocker, allowing four total pressures across four games. This is always likely to be the weaker part of his game, but he is on course for the second-best PFF pass-blocking grade of his career.

Second Team: Daryl Williams, Buffalo Bills

EDGE Myles Garrett, Cleveland Browns

The only edge rusher with a higher PFF pass-rushing grade than T.J. Watt is Myles Garrett. With an extra game under his belt compared to his divisional foe, Garrett leads the NFL in total pressures, with 27. He trails only Watt and Khalil Mack in pass-rush win rate (23.1) and has an absurd three forced fumbles in four games. Not to mention, his five sacks are tied with Za’Darius Smith‘s total for the most in the NFL. Garrett was playing at this level last season before being suspended for the second half of the year, but he looks set to play an entire campaign as a truly dominant edge rusher.

Second Team: Arik Armstead, San Francisco 49ers

Left Guard?

Ali Marpet... :( ...

They're killin' me, tia...

And then there's one that got away...

S Jordan Poyer, Buffalo Bills

Josh Allen and the offense is getting the bulk of the attention in Buffalo this season, but the defense has carried on being quietly impressive and underrated. One of the most underrated members is safety Jordan Poyer. The way Buffalo deploys their safeties, Poyer has lined up all over the secondary, both in deep coverage and closer to the box as well as covering the slot against certain matchups when required. He has been excellent in any of those areas, racking up eight defensive stops in four games and forcing a key fumble against the Jets in Week 1.

Second Team: Justin Simmons, Denver Broncos

It's like I was saying the other day, we're actually fast approaching the time where we have to pay Teller. I don't know that I can remember a player improving so much in such a short time. There are many factors that go into his stellar play, including scheme, weight room dedication, surrounding talent, and just flat out confidence, but the fact is that he is grading out at absurd levels, and we now have a decent sample size. 

I'm not kidding, there are run plays where I'm literally watching Teller. When is the last time you watched an offensive lineman?! To be fair, every OL prefers to run block, and we've been fortunate enough to do LOTS of it, but he's more than held his own in pass pro too, which is nutso. I'm actually laughing to myself thinking of a few times when Teller was out in space on a run and the DB or LB made a "business decision" and barely tried to get past him. Teller gets moving and looks for punishment. I love it. 

How much is he worth? That depends. He's worth quite a bit to us because of our scheme. He's mobile, gigantic, angry, and loves to hit people. He might not be as effective in a different scheme, but he's PERFECT for us. I also think our OL coach, Bill Callahan, is probably one of the best in the league. 

If you guys haven't watched the latest episode of Building the Browns on YouTube, you're missing a LOT. There are so many terrific sound bytes of Stefanski during the game and they'll make you chuckle. On one, we got down to the 1 yard line and he goes, "Don't worry fantasy football people, I'm giving it right back to him." LOL! Chubb then scores on the next play. On another one, coach said during that one game-clinching Bengals drive, "Guess what everyone. We're running the fucking ball." We then proceeded to run it 7 times in a row for a TD. 

I just feel like our OL and our personnel are clicking at a level we haven't seen before. We look A LOT like San Francisco did a year ago, but we don't have the same defense. Obviously I know we're not going 15-1, and we're GOING to have games where we are behind and we have to pass more, but damn...we are really clicking right now, and as long as Hunt isn't hurt too badly we're going to be a tough out. Hunt can things that others can't, and if he gets 30 total touches this week, he's going to produce. 

In terms of Garrett, there's not much left to say. After signing that huge contract, it's safe to say many fans felt like he needed to produce. So many times in the past couple years we just couldn't make big plays when the game was on the line. This year we've done that, and much of it has to do with Garrett. He's got 3 strip sacks in 3 straight games and that's just silly. He's on pace for 100 QB pressures which would absolutely shatter the record. We desperately need Clayborne back, as I'm convinced Vernon is not cutting it. Garrett demands so much attention, we just need an opposing DE that can get pressure on passing downs. We get that, watch out. 

2 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Joe Thomas?

So true. There were times when I watched him. Mainly because he was so good, but also because there was literally nothing else to watch. Lmao 

BTW, Teller absolutely PLANTED Everson Griffith last game. Good grief. That man has a family to think about! 

1 hour ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Watching Teller on those pulls around to the left is like watching the old GB Packers sweep again. Always loved the pulling guards like Kramer for Hornung and Taylor. 👍

The Lombardi sweep is one of the most beautiful sights these eyes have ever seen. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dutch Oven said:

The Lombardi sweep is one of the most beautiful sights these eyes have ever seen. 

Also gotta count:    Student Body Right.  Student Body Left.   USC's sweep.....got them 4 Heisman winners:   Mike Garrett,  OJ, Marcus Allen, Charles White.