THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns vs Colts on TV

dusty

52 minutes ago, dusty said:

Thanks to Denver/NE getting postponed to Monday night the Browns/Colts game gets greater coverage ( but not here in Southern West Virginia).

Capture+_2020-10-10-09-03-59.png

Well....what is interesting..or fucked up... is that they put the game that involves two  shitty teams on in many more places that the game involving two good teams. 

17 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Well....what is interesting..or fucked up... is that they put the game that involves two  shitty teams on in many more places that the game involving two good teams. 

Yup, the CBS late - "America's" lousy team against a real stinky Giants team. If you don't live in either city, or aren't a Cowboy fag, you're  going to pull up Sunday ticket or head to your favorite Sports Bar for a more interesting game. Strictly a network  ratings decision.  Who outside of  NY really could give a rat, unless you have one of their players on your fantasy team. Come to think of it, fantasy may be an explanation of the interest. Bet plenty of guys have either Zeke or Dak on their fantasy teams. 

1 hour ago, Nero said:

I pitty the guys who will have to see a matchup not to become the least in the NFC LEast...

Does Spain get Columbus Day off Nero? Too bad. You will lose a lot of sleep over this late starting game this week.😴

42 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Does Spain get Columbus Day off Nero? Too bad. You will lose a lot of sleep over this late starting game this week.😴

We don't get Columbus Day's off because we didn't need to find our continent ;) It is Spain's National Day so it's a day off, though I'm a freelance and probably I'll work. 

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, hoorta said:

Yup, the CBS late - "America's" lousy team against a real stinky Giants team. If you don't live in either city, or aren't a Cowboy fag, you're  going to pull up Sunday ticket or head to your favorite Sports Bar for a more interesting game. Strictly a network  ratings decision.  Who outside of  NY really could give a rat, unless you have one of their players on your fantasy team. Come to think of it, fantasy may be an explanation of the interest. Bet plenty of guys have either Zeke or Dak on their fantasy teams. 

Right.....but why would anyone have any Giant's player on their fantasy team?

2 hours ago, Nero said:

We don't get Columbus Day's off because we didn't need to find our continent ;) It is Spain's National Day so it's a day off, though I'm a freelance and probably I'll work. 

OK, why then is it Spain's "National Day"?   other than that they glommed onto it being "Columbus Day" here?    

Besides, Columbus was supposedly Italian.  Over here  it could actually be renamed "Italian-American Day",   as Italian's here really take that day to heart as "Their"  holiday.....the fact that  it was the date that he landed in the Western Hemisphere being purely peripheral. 

7 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

OK, why then is it Spain's "National Day"?   other than that they glommed onto it being "Columbus Day" here?    

Besides, Columbus was supposedly Italian.  Over here  it could actually be renamed "Italian-American Day",   as Italian's here really take that day to heart as "Their"  holiday.....the fact that  it was the date that he landed in the Western Hemisphere being purely peripheral. 

Well, he was Genoese (Italy didn't exist until later), but he went to America with Spanish sailors, on Spanish ships, and with fundings of the Spanish Catholic Kings. 

That's why we get that. Thanks to that discovery Spain became an Empire (though it also helped the Crowns' marriage politics in Europe) and became the most predominant nation on for some centuries, though it slowly wasted all the gold and silver fighting in Europe trying to maintain its hegemony.

It is also called Spanish Day (Día de la Hispanidad) trying to unite in the festivities all the countries with Spanish roots. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Nero said:

Well, he was Genoese (Italy didn't exist until later), but he went to America with Spanish sailors, on Spanish ships, and with fundings of the Spanish Catholic Kings. 

That's why we get that. Thanks to that discovery Spain became an Empire (though it also helped the Crowns' marriage politics in Europe) and became the most predominant nation on for some centuries, though it slowly wasted all the gold and silver fighting in Europe trying to maintain its hegemony.

It is also called Spanish Day (Día de la Hispanidad) trying to unite in the festivities all the countries with Spanish roots. 

So, what you are saying is that it is "Spain's Ravaging and Pillaging and killing native peoples either by war or by carrying diseases to them and robbing and exploiting all their natural resources Day" 

Am I hearing that right?  

(By the way...that IS what some areas here...and in Canada call it....to the extent that they no longer recognize it, but rather call it like "Indigenous People's Day).

By the way, I don't think Ireland existed at the time St. Patrick went there,  but we still consider it Irish Day. We do not have anything that celebrates "Spanish Day" per se here.  We do Hispanic Days....which mainly are a "Mexican Day" celebration, like Cinqo de Mayo.  (but, don't feel bad, we don't really have an English Day/Scandinavian Day/French Day/Russian/Polish/Dutch/Greek etc. Day.   We sort of do "German Day" when we celebrate an Octoberfest. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indigenous_Peoples'_Day

By the Way, I am all in favor of having something like a "Native American's Day" here.  However, I do NOT think they should be taking Columbus Day's time to do that......as that day is NOT something that really celebrates Native American Culture/History....other than the negative aspect of it in that it is supposedly the date on which the "downfall"  of NA culture/history began.   They should choose a date that really celebrates something about their history/culture....not just be reactionary to the negative event...if it is seen that way. 

3 hours ago, Nero said:

Yes you freelancers and many self employed don't exactly fall under the "normal" work behavior and rules.

But it has it's own perks like us retired people.  :D

10 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

So, what you are saying is that it is "Spain's Ravaging and Pillaging and killing native peoples either by war or by carrying diseases to them and robbing and exploiting all their natural resources Day" 

Am I hearing that right?  

Yepp, exactly that. 

I'm never gonna defend the exploiting of America, though it's a pretty harsh call when:

1. Every country would have done the same (see Africa and other colonized territories)
2. In Spanish colonized territories, there was miscegeneration, in way bigger numbers than in countries colonized by Americans, English, Dutch, French, German... The extermination of American Natives being just an example. 
3. Spain I believe was one of the first countries in the Modern Era to put laws to reduce / abolish slavery. Hundreds of years before US, for instance. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slavery_in_colonial_Spanish_America As soon as early 1500s. 

There were thousands of brits who were killed and it is celebrated on July 4th and that makes all the sense in the world, too. 

2 minutes ago, Nero said:

Yepp, exactly that. 

I'm never gonna defend the exploiting of America, though it's a pretty harsh call when:

1. Every country would have done the same (see Africa and other colonized territories)
2. In Spanish colonized territories, there was miscegeneration, in way bigger numbers than in countries colonized by Americans, English, Dutch, French, German... The extermination of American Natives being just an example. 
3. Spain I believe was one of the first countries in the Modern Era to put laws to reduce / abolish slavery. Hundreds of years before US, for instance. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slavery_in_colonial_Spanish_America As soon as early 1500s. 

There were thousands of brits who were killed and it is celebrated on July 4th and that makes all the sense in the world, too. 

Certainly that is all true.  People want to revile  Columbus,  but if it had not been Columbus in  1492, it would have been someone else just a few years later.  Ponce DeLeon, Vasco de Gama, Cortez, Coronado,  Drake, etc. etc.  And if it had not been Spain first, it could have been the Dutch, Portugese, British, French etc.  just a few short years later that would have done the same.

And I think you mean miscegenation.   Keep Roger Daltry out of it.  "Talking about M-m-m-misce--g-g-g-generation"   (plus....miscegenation means "interbreeding"....is that what you meant?

6 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Certainly that is all true.  People want to revile  Columbus,  but if it had not been Columbus in  1492, it would have been someone else just a few years later.  Ponce DeLeon, Vasco de Gama, Cortez, Coronado,  Drake, etc. etc.  And if it had not been Spain first, it could have been the Dutch, Portugese, British, French etc.  just a few short years later that would have done the same.

And I think you mean miscegenation.   Keep Roger Daltry out of it.  "Talking about M-m-m-misce--g-g-g-generation"   (plus....miscegenation means "interbreeding"....is that what you meant?

I said miscegeneration, so yeah I meant miscegeneration. That song makes me nervous with the stuttering, lol. 

I think either Spain or Portugal would have found America, but it made all the sense in the world for it to be Spain. It had always been the bigger brother of Portugal, they found the best route to India, thus it became important for Spain to find a better route, that's why the Catholic Kings heard Columbus and tried to find another passage.

People reviling Columbus make no sense. Judging History is the stupidest thing you can do, as all humans have same ambition and humanity can be so cruel given the opportunity. He risked his life, found success and what happened after that shouldn't be claimed as his fault. 

3 hours ago, Nero said:

Well on his first voyage he did not really find the continent per se. He just found Caribbean islands🧐🏝️. But if at first you don't succeed..............take 3 more trips.😂

8 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Well on his first voyage he did not really find the continent per se. He just found Caribbean islands🧐🏝️. But if at first you don't succeed..............take 3 more trips.😂

He found one of the best parts of America, though lol. I might make those 3 trips to make sure too heh ;) 

Just now, Nero said:

He found one of the best parts of America, though lol. I might make those 3 trips to make sure too heh ;) 

No argument here. I love those islands, especially St. John, USVI. Great snorkeling island all the way around it. I'd love to go back. All waters around it are protected as part of the National Park Service, so there are plenty of fish and other sea life to view. Saw a mature Queen Angelfish and a Peacock Flounder there as well as the biggest Great Barracuda I've ever seen anywhere including filmed ones. Ain't these two purty!

Peacock flounder
Bothidae - Bothus mancus.jpg

Queen angelfish
Holacanthus ciliaris 10.jpg

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, Nero said:

I said miscegeneration, so yeah I meant miscegeneration. That song makes me nervous with the stuttering, lol. 

I think either Spain or Portugal would have found America, but it made all the sense in the world for it to be Spain. It had always been the bigger brother of Portugal, they found the best route to India, thus it became important for Spain to find a better route, that's why the Catholic Kings heard Columbus and tried to find another passage.

People reviling Columbus make no sense. Judging History is the stupidest thing you can do, as all humans have same ambition and humanity can be so cruel given the opportunity. He risked his life, found success and what happened after that shouldn't be claimed as his fault. 

Miscegeneration is not actually a word....in the English language, so you just made it up.   That's OK.  Just define what you meant.

And you are right.....trying to judge people by today's standards is a bit foolhardy.  I mean, it is like those people who claim that Jim Brown could not play against today's players.  That is like saying  "Columbus was nowhere as capable an explorer as  Neil Armstrong   because he did not have access to rockets". 

41 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

He never  "found"  the North American continent proper, if I recall correctly.  But I think he did hit S. America and Venezuela. 

OK...in checking  he did hit Central America, which is a part of N. America.....but never hit either the now US or Mexico.

Voyages of Christopher Columbus - Wikipedia

9 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Miscegeneration is not actually a word....in the English language, so you just made it up.   That's OK.  Just define what you meant.

And you are right.....trying to judge people by today's standards is a bit foolhardy.  I mean, it is like those people who claim that Jim Brown could not play against today's players.  That is like saying  "Columbus was nowhere as capable an explorer as  Neil Armstrong   because he did not have access to rockets". 

Fuck me, I wrote twice 'miscegeneration' instead of 'miscegenation'. Now I see. My bad.

2 hours ago, Nero said:

That song makes me nervous 

Browns.... Right Now !! 

Pre-game tribute.. 🎸 Browns... Do it, right here and now!

Edit--Chris Columbus got this Postal worker a day off Monday.. He's a damm Messiah  

• Haha 1