THE BROWNS BOARD

Week 5: Colts (3-1) @ Browns (3-1) Thread... The Battle of the Once-Beatens

Icecube

Weekly 5 Bold Predictions article is out...

5 Bold predictions for Cleveland Browns in Week 5 vs. the Indianapolis Colts

by Greg Newland 4 minutes ago

5. Garrett goes for a turkey

4. Depth at running back shines (it had better...)

3. A surprising rookie steps up big (Spoiler Alert.... it's LB, Jacob Phillps)

2. The offense continues to mesh

1. Looking 4-1 down the barrel

35 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

What is considered a "Turkey"  for a DL?     QB sack/strip/return for TD.....or something else?  (Or, like a Turkey in Bowling....which is 3 strikes in a row....is it 3 sacks on the day?)

Jacob Phillips stepping up would really be a breath of fresh air. 

5 hours ago, Icecube said:

Yea, and the dudes before that, and the dudes before that, and the dudes before that, and the dudes before that and....

Freddie Kitchens,  NFL 2019 6-10-0 (0.375) 0-0-0 (0.000) 6-10-0 (0.375)
Gregg Williams NFL 2018* 5-3-0 (0.625) 0-0-0 (0.000) 5-3-0 (0.625)
Hue Jackson NFL 2016 - 2018 3-36-1 (0.088) 0-0-0 (0.000) 3-36-1 (0.088)
Mike Pettine NFL 2014 - 2015 10-22-0 (0.313) 0-0-0 (0.000) 10-22-0 (0.313)
Rob Chudzinski NFL 2013 4-12-0 (0.250) 0-0-0 (0.000) 4-12-0 (0.250)
Pat Shurmur NFL 2011 - 2012 9-23-0 (0.281) 0-0-0 (0.000) 9-23-0 (0.281)
Eric Mangini NFL 2009 - 2010 10-22-0 (0.313) 0-0-0 (0.000) 10-22-0 (0.313)
Romeo Crennel NFL 2005 - 2008 24-40-0 (0.375) 0-0-0 (0.000) 24-40-0 (0.375)
Terry Robiskie NFL 2004* 1-4-0 (0.200) 0-0-0 (0.000) 1-4-0 (0.200)
Butch Davis NFL 2001 - 2004 24-35-0 (0.407) 0-1-0 (0.000) 24-36-0 (0.400)
Chris Palmer NFL 1999 - 2000 5-27-0 (0.156) 0-0-0 (0.000) 5-27-0 (0.156)

Why don't you just take a hot bath, melt, & go down the drain where you belong? ice cube, you are one fuckin' IDIOT!

Mike

OK, so,  you can't fix everything in one year.   But I will give it to Berry that he made some attempts at helping/fixing the defensive back 7.   Drafted Delpit and Phillips. Injury to Delpit unfortunate. Picked up Goodson.  

Still, I thought/think there were some moves that could have been made for a veteran LB that have been left on the table. 

It was years ago but NEVER forget...The Colts kept the 10-6 Browns out of the playoffs by starting Jim Sorgi and completely looking like dog poo during that game.  I went to Gabriel’s and bought a oddly fitting Colts shirt and wore a dang Colts shirt that day 

The Colts suffered - they were clearly rusty two weeks later and got ousted early from the playoffs but they kept the Browns out of the playoffs. 

1 hour ago, The Gipper said:

OK, so,  you can't fix everything in one year.   But I will give it to Berry that he made some attempts at helping/fixing the defensive back 7.   Drafted Delpit and Phillips. Injury to Delpit unfortunate. Picked up Goodson.  

Still, I thought/think there were some moves that could have been made for a veteran LB that have been left on the table.

Malcolm Smith won a SB with Seattle. He was the MVP. It was the 43-8 rout.

Highlights: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJcPMq2QUNg

6 minutes ago, CLEVELANDwantsPLAYOFFS said:

Malcolm Smith won a SB with Seattle. He was the MVP. It was the 43-8 rout.

Highlights: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJcPMq2QUNg

OK, so,  it seems a fair amount of effort has gone into this....so I ask the question that I previously had an entire thread on:   What went wrong?  Injuries, OK.  Inexperience?  Or are the guys we got just not good enough?

On 10/5/2020 at 10:22 PM, Dutch Oven said:

I don't see how this defense gets markedly better... The LBs generally are very green and the secondary is perpetually an injury mess.

The upside is that this schedule, that looked kind of tough I suppose going into the season, now looks weak beyond a handful of games. 

they won't....they have miles garrett and an occasional qb pressure from 1 of the dl....the secondary can't catch a cold .....what happened to vernon....what a bust.....we need alot of d.......they are not very solid at all.....

The Yahoo Pick'em line opened at Browns (+1.0) Monday... jumped to 2.5 Tuesday... and then dropped to 1.5 today.

Not unusual for a line to move, but then to reverse? Unusual...

I look for another good weekend for the AFCN including outmatched Cincinnati an interesting game at Baltimore.  Pittsburgh should handle Philadelphia at home and our BROWNS can beat Indy at home at 4:25.

GO BROWNS, 4-1 really ? Oh yeah.....baby !

From Vegas insider Wednesday PM:

Screenshot_2020-10-07_194523.jpg

1 hour ago, Tour2ma said:

The Yahoo Pick'em line opened at Browns (+1.0) Monday... jumped to 2.5 Tuesday... and then dropped to 1.5 today.

Not unusual for a line to move, but then to reverse? Unusual...

Colts injury report may have something to do with that.

Not the kind of game where you want your best Tackle out and two starting LBs 

8 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

It was years ago but NEVER forget...The Colts kept the 10-6 Browns out of the playoffs by starting Jim Sorgi and completely looking like dog poo during that game.  I went to Gabriel’s and bought a oddly fitting Colts shirt and wore a dang Colts shirt that day 

The Colts suffered - they were clearly rusty two weeks later and got ousted early from the playoffs but they kept the Browns out of the playoffs. 

Yep, I still cringe every time I see Tony Dungy on TV.

2 hours ago, Unsympathetic said:

sack/strip/fumble recovery? But it certainly appears Newland invented the term in that article

Ah!   What would a sack/strip/fumble recovery/return for TD be?   Some other bird, but more majestic An Osprey?   An Eagle? A Condor?  A Peacock?  A Flamingo? A 5 Keel Billed Toucan? 

The keel-billed toucan, also known as sulfur-breasted toucan or rainbow-billed  toucan, is a colorful Latin American member of the toucan family and is  also the national bird of Belize. Keel-billed toucans use

On 10/7/2020 at 12:54 PM, The Gipper said:

OK, so,  it seems a fair amount of effort has gone into this....so I ask the question that I previously had an entire thread on:   What went wrong?  Injuries, OK.  Inexperience?  Or are the guys we got just not good enough?

It's an offensive year. No crowd noise. Our defense is getting turnovers which is better than forcing 3 and outs. I think the LBs will get better as the season progresses.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3

On 10/6/2020 at 6:15 PM, Tour2ma said:

What I love is the coaching staff seems sharp. This team can rush, so let them, don't put Baker in a 40 attempt game. It seems like they have a legit staff. 

And practice reports... https://www.rotowire.com/football/practice-report.php?team=CLE

Light Practice is better than no (Did Not) Practice.

Not looking good for Ogun, but Richardson made progress. Hunt concerns me.

image.thumb.png.ffbb0f5105cd415bc0bcc6b561dd8df1.png

image.thumb.png.5a4754c636e2a3cdd553a719fc1b3750.png

I find this game as watching our "big brother team"... Both teams have drafted well, while using their leading cap numbers wisely on FA's..  Jim Irsay fires GM  Ryan Grigson  after a 4-12 season and took the path of hiring Chris Ballard in late 2016.. After Ballard get's punk'd by J.McDaniels.. He hires Frank Reich Feb.2018..

Turn the page.. ( and I'm not trying to kick a dead 🦄)

John Dorsey gets hired Dec 7th 2017.. Told by Haslam, to observe a 0-16 crazy train.. In fact..Dorsey could* have hired Frank Reich? And at least the coaching staff could have been settled? Though were now 2 years behind on good coaching? Things may have worked out better with the Kev Stefanski hiring🤔.. just a real s t r e c h of the facts that are there..

a.) Ballard/Reich took over a team coming off a 4-12 2017 season.. Colts finished 10-6 after hiring Reich in 2018.(were on that pace) Draft Q.Nelson & D.Leonard in 2018.Both become AP 1st team All Pro's.. 

b) Dorsey was brought in with a few games left in 2017.. Takes the fast track with good Drafting in 2018 & 2019.. Adds Landry/OBJ/Hunt/S.Richardson/Vernon... Sure, JD dies with his own coaching blood on his hands in 2019.. But what 'if' the 2018 coaching choices were left up to JD in 2o18 🤔... Oh! never/mind that! 

And here we are... Walking into a game of two re-built teams a year apart in Talent* for Sunday....  The Difference has always been the COACHING of good Talent!! Now & Only Now, I have the feeling we have the right coaching staff that only lacks the team bonding & experience of Frank Reich by 2 years & No off-season Camps to prepare..

It's Cody Parkey's perfect season... We win this Game on the leg of a Parkey FG... (the curse of poking the bears) Go Browns !!

3WnB.gif   Winnie only left the 'r' out in Irsay..book it!!  

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Unsympathetic said:

A snowy owl? A pileated woodpecker, perhaps?

I guess if this thread is going to go to the birds, may as well go all the way.

As many of you may know my son is at Cornell.  Cornell also happens to be the leading (world? USA) ornithilogical university. My son has taken on birding (don't call it birdwatching)  as a hobby and has taken a course or two in it  (it is wholly outside his field of study, which is Biochemistry)  and I have gotten into it...but just a little bit.   He actually did see a Snowy owl up near Ithaca.  It is fairly rare to see them in the US. They mostly hang in Canada.  Pileated woodpeckers are all around. 5 Keel Billed Toucan?  I am pretty sure you would need to go to Central America or South America for those. 

I have seen Condors at the Grand Canyon.  Though I cannot say I have seen "wild peacocks".  HOwever, for species counting,  if a peacock is roaming the grounds free, and is not pent up, you can count the observation of them for your personal species count. 

Here are important websites for your birding...each a Cornell originated site:

https://ebird.org/home

https://merlin.allaboutbirds.org/

Indy is still avery slight road favorite at -1 or -1.5 which might be one of the more interesting games this week.

SO how about a peek at the AFCN games next week, all at 1 pm right now.  From our friends at vegasinsider.com   https://www.vegasinsider.com/nfl/odds/las-vegas/

CLE only +4 in PIT ?

Screenshot_2020-10-09_111810.jpg

1 hour ago, The Gipper said:

I guess if this thread is going to go to the birds, may as well go all the way.

Lately I have specialized in getting the bird from the trumpettes on the polyboard.  Does being able to induce birds to show up in flocks count for anything?🦃🦃🦃🦃😁

I'm calling the pick 6 this week. I feel it. Phil will destroy us over the middle but we'll get him on a weakly thrown out pattern.