THE BROWNS BOARD

**** Official Browns at Cowboys GAMEDAY Thread

Zombo

One more tidbit...

There was zero, nada, zilch crowd noise pumped into the stadium... only natural crowd noise by the sparse, but very engaged fanz of da 'Boyz... at least until the middle of Q3... :)

In Q3 many of the home-team faithful abandoned ship, but in the 4th those who stayed had plenty to cheer about until Stef called in "Touchdown" for the 2nd time... and this time the play's name was prophetic...

You could feel the proverbial "air" go out of the place during that play's 2nd coming.

And yes, "TD" is the name of the OBJ reverse play. See Pluto's column from today for verification and an amusing backstory regarding its finally being called.

1 hour ago, tiamat63 said:

Johnson looked like Kamara lite with his touches.  I mean that.

"Kamara lite" is a perfect description, but Alvin is an extra special RB.

So if Johnson turns out to be merely special, then I'm OK with that...

... and I mean that D'Ernest-ly... B)

Someone had to do it...

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

I was dwelling on the one comment you made and responding to your post.

OBJ was open at any level Pop Warner, HS, College, Pro.  He was wide open in the NFL.   He missed OBJ.  But don’t worry He played really well and NFL QBs miss some throws.  He’d probably like to have it back - I guarantee he wants that one back and he probably makes that throw 8 out of 10 times.  That’s life.  No big deal.  We won.

You made other comments. I don’t disagree about the defense. They had a few moments but none of those happened in the 4th Quarter.  Over the course of entire quarter the Scheme, penetration, Coverage, Tackling, rally to the ball, field awareness all horribly off.  

Well, yes, that was my point.  Except OBJ only popped open while the ball was in the air.....it was a sideline pass that is still a difficult pass. Makeable? Sure....like Hoorta said above...he had made a half dozen or so of them already in the game. 

but  it was one play that these nimrods seem to want to dwell on.

1 hour ago, Tour2ma said:

"Kamara lite" is a perfect description, but Alvin is an extra special RB.

So if Johnson turns out to be merely special, then I'm OK with that...

... and I mean that D'Ernest-ly... B)

Someone had to do it...

- For me the comparison is a multiple factored one.  Their physical dimensions, height, weight, leg and torso length are damn near the same.  But the running styles, both realizing they aren't punishing contact runners, but balance contact runners, is the real selling point.   The patience on waiting for blocks, the footwork and shoulder movement when pressing the hole on that weakside zone from DJ looked exactly like he's been watching Kamara's tape the entire off-season.

Is DJ as good out of the back field? Not sure and probably not likely.  But if he's 70% of the player Alvin is, then you have the best RB room in the NFL.  Not just because of depth, but because of quality in said depth.

If Chubb needs a week or two off, I know our running game is still in great hands.

One other thing on D Johnson.  I appreciate the ball security.  There were a couple runs he was in the secondary and he had two arms around the ball.  Maybe sacrificing that extra move. 

I don’t know if he’s got Kamara’s hips.  But he has great vision which is a requirement to this blocking scheme that we run .

• Upvote 3

27 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Well, yes, that was my point.  Except OBJ only popped open while the ball was in the air.....it was a sideline pass that is still a difficult pass. Makeable? Sure....like Hoorta said above...he had made a half dozen or so of them already in the game. 

but  it was one play that these nimrods seem to want to dwell on.

If OBJ is even -  he’s leaving. 

I think we are pounding the dead horse now.  Most are saying it was a make able throw.  I’d prefer something with a little more touch on it.  I didn’t see a safety over the top on that play.

I am confident Baker makes that throw next time. 

30 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

- For me the comparison is a multiple factored one.  Their physical dimensions, height, weight, leg and torso length are damn near the same.  But the running styles, both realizing they aren't punishing contact runners, but balance contact runners, is the real selling point.   The patience on waiting for blocks, the footwork and shoulder movement when pressing the hole on that weakside zone from DJ looked exactly like he's been watching Kamara's tape the entire off-season.

Is DJ as good out of the back field? Not sure and probably not likely.  But if he's 70% of the player Alvin is, then you have the best RB room in the NFL.  Not just because of depth, but because of quality in said depth.

If Chubb needs a week or two off, I know our running game is still in great hands.

I loved that from the game. I bet most of us were scared that with Chubb being hurt and Hunt just recovered from a groin injury during the week we would see less touches for the RBs, but Johnson AND even Hilliard showed up to share the workload and get 230 yards on the ground (OBJ got 70 or something like that).

Let's hope Chubb can recover soon and we don't force him into the field, I think this OL and the TEs can create spaces so our RBs keep getting yards and keep the rivals' Offense on the bench. 

22 minutes ago, SdBacker80 said:

One other thing on D Johnson.  I appreciate the ball security.  There were a couple runs he was in the secondary and he had two arms around the ball.  Maybe sacrificing that extra move. 

I don’t know if he’s got Kamara’s hips.  But he has great vision which is a requirement to this blocking scheme that we run .

I noticed that too. I was thinking "A fumble can kill us anytime" and never felt like one was coming. Maybe even OBJ tried to keep the ball secure more than last year (no need to grab only with one hand far from the body even if you have that freakishly big hand). 

• Upvote 1

Nick Chubb has an MCL sprain and is going to IR. Fortunately, as much as Chubb is a monster seeing Hunt, Johnson, and Hilliard take over was just..wow. Johnson looked like a seasoned vet out there, extremely encouraging knowing there's still seemingly depth at the position. 

A few post game thoughts.

-I don't want to hear about the forced fumble, Sendejo sucks hard. I don't see how there's any way he's not rated the worst safety in the NFL. You can EASILY put three touchdowns on the dude yesterday, not to mention almost killing Ward instead of just deflecting an easy pass on 4th down. I sincerely hope Woods sees this too and gives Redwine, Harrison more snaps. It literally cannot be worse.

-In retrospect, the almost huge comeback I hope turns into a learning experience for this crew. I overtly get the plan of playing off coverage and making them use time. But that plan devolved into them seemingly every down getting 11-12 yards AND getting out of bounds. Gotta tighten that up, no reason that game shoulda broken down like that. 

-You have to appreciate what Coach Stefanski is bringing to this team, with the key word being DISCIPLINE. I've not seen a more disciplined unit on the field in..I can't remember when, really. 5 penalties for 40 yards is just fine. So far this season we only have 4 false starts and 4 holding calls (one holding call which was complete bullshit). What a breath of fresh air.

2 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

If OBJ is even -  he’s leaving. 

Correctamundo...

Watching in person it appeared to me that excepting a couple shots Baker had to "see" a target open to cut it loose... at least after that first throw... maybe because of that first throw. On both of the exceptions he overthrew his receiver... which should be the safe throw for deep sideline balls.

As for touch he did drop in an intermediate throw over a DB (maybe LB) to one of our TEs... can't recall the specific play or time of game, but it was near mid-field going towards the 'Boyz sideline, so it would have been to the far sideline from the primary TV angle with the Browns moving left to right on screen.

Maybe Juice can work with him on his deep-ball touch... :)

37 minutes ago, SdBacker80 said:

Daryl Johnston calling out Aldon Smith on the OBJ reverse TD run was funny.

As if Aldon Smith had a chance against OBJ in the open field when Aldon had to change direction 

LOL, no kidding. Actually, Aldon Smith did a great job of forcing him back about 10 yards! If Aldon wasn't there OBJ turns the corner even faster. There's a cool shot showing why we called this play below. 

https://twitter.com/NextGenStats/status/1312849246903705600?s=09

• Upvote 1

DJ - 5'10 207lbs,  4.7 40

AK - 5'10 212lbs 4.6 40       Similar arms, torso and legs measurements best I could find.

So @ 0:51 seconds,  the half jump cut is actually quite nasty waiting to see if the oncoming traffic extends outside.

@ 1:27  Eyes separate from his body.  See's the loss by Teller, chops his feet, gets flat and takes it outside and rounds back into the field.  

@ 1:50 is damn good tape.   Another weakside zone call, presses the outside shoulder of Bito as long as he can to widen out the tackle, then uses some burst, some power and a bit of "skinny" to take it back to the inside shoulder.   Finishes with great balance off contact and gets an extra 3 maybe 4 yards off that final contact.

His footwork isn't quite smooth as jazz like Kamara, and his hips (as SD pointed out) aren't on that level either.   But hand to Christ, if you put DJ on the Saints offense it would take quite a few snaps before you would squint at the screen and say "wait... that isn't Kamara...".  

Buy anything from the store that isn't brand name because it's much cheaper and still pretty damn good?  Yeah, that's how Johnson looks early on.   He ain't Alvin, but for what you're paying, the knock-off version isn't too shabby either.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Did anybody discuss the freaking heart attack caused by Peoples-Jones on that kickoff? Holy shit my dog and I were BOTH screaming at the television! Hahaha. 

And THAT'S why you don't play rookies in tight situations! 

9 hours ago, jiggins7919 said:

Did anybody discuss the freaking heart attack caused by Peoples-Jones on that kickoff? Holy shit my dog and I were BOTH screaming at the television! Hahaha. 

And THAT'S why you don't play rookies in tight situations! 

You could see the coach meeting him on the sidelines explaining what he should have explained before he was sent out there. Obviously both got lucky that the ball carried on into the endzone.😰😱

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Sterilizing Trump supporters, I hope. 

Seems a bit extreme. Maybe you should simmer down and stop taking the election so personally. After all the draft dodging incompetent you've declared for is only marginally more palatable, at best, than the draft dodging maniac your compatriots have declared for. 

Interesting, well written take on our D including this surprising stat in the article's opening paragraph...

cleveland.com Football Insider

The Cleveland Browns gave up an 84-yard touchdown drive that showed exactly how this defense can succeed

By Doug Lesmerises, cleveland.com  Updated 9:30 AM; Today 5:20 AM

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- The Cleveland Browns have allowed just four pass plays of 25 yards or more so far this season, which ranks them in the top eight in the NFL in fewest times majorly burned through the air.

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2020/10/the-cleveland-browns-gave-up-an-84-yard-touchdown-drive-that-showed-exactly-how-this-defense-can-succeed.html

Kinda sounds like our old, Rubber-band Defense from back in Clay's day...

image.png.ea7aed681ce43d60ea53ff112ebad12c.png

Btw, Jedrick Wills balled out against the Boys. He allowed zero pressures and didn't have a penalty. Yessssssss. 

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, Unsympathetic said:

Don't forget Dallas only has 2 DL, the rest are below average run stoppers - Lawrence and Aldon Smith are the only DL above 55

Since Debbie Downer was taken long ago...

image.png.5e4410dd10e126c95130bf458e1bab7f.png

1 hour ago, Unsympathetic said:

Don't forget Dallas only has 2 DL, the rest are below average run stoppers - Lawrence and Aldon Smith are the only DL above 55

You play the team that is in front of you.  
We will face other fronts like their front.  And if we feast again all the better.

We ran well against Washington and Baltimore too. 

Are you going to eventually post what your point is? 

Random thoughts that I didn't know where to put, so here they are:

The "Building the Browns" show on YouTube is absolutely amazing. Everyone needs to check it out. 

Njoku is the biggest guy I've ever seen and doesn't wear shirts. (neither would I) 

We actually have a coach who could be with us for a long time. 

Kareem Hunt is thankful to be playing and will be so vital to our success, especially with Chubb out. 

3 hours ago, jiggins7919 said:

Random thoughts that I didn't know where to put, so here they are:

The "Building the Browns" show on YouTube is absolutely amazing. Everyone needs to check it out. 

Njoku is the biggest guy I've ever seen and doesn't wear shirts. (neither would I) 

Kareem Hunt is thankful to be playing and will be so vital to our success, especially with Chubb out. 

I thought it was interesting after Bryant scored his TD against Washington Baker rolled up next to OBJ and Landry basically saying don’t worry you will get yours.  The Next week it happened.  There is concerted effort to keep them fed. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jiggins7919 said:

Considering the unprecedented lead-up to the regular season, Stefanski should be in the lead for Head Coach of the Year. I can't think of a worse way to have to start your rookie season as head coach, and he's doing it for an organization that has been a clusterfuck for nearly a generation. Hats off to Stefanski and the entire coaching staff. 

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, SdBacker80 said:

I thought it was interesting after Bryant scored his TD against Washington Baker rolled up next to OBJ and Landry basically saying don’t worry you will get yours.  The Next week it happened.  There is concerted effort to keep them fed. 

You're so right. It's funny, coach said they were practicing that reverse throw for weeks and OBJ and Landry were bugging him about it. He said the play kept staring at him from the clipboard and he let it loose! That play meant so much to those guys. I don't have OBJ's quote, but it was sincere and emotional. 

39 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

Considering the unprecedented lead-up to the regular season, Stefanski should be in the lead for Head Coach of the Year. I can't think of a worse way to have to start your rookie season as head coach, and he's doing it for an organization that has been a clusterfuck for nearly a generation. Hats off to Stefanski and the entire coaching staff. 

OK, but let's not get ahead of ourselves.  This is the Browns, and we are all just waiting for the FUBAR Train to roll through this team..   20 years of pessimism cannot be overcome after a couple of games against bad teams.  The optimistic part is that now we are beating the bad teams. So now we have to see how we do against good teams.

Does anyone here think the Cowboys are not a "bad" team?