THE BROWNS BOARD

**** Official Browns at Cowboys GAMEDAY Thread

Zombo

5 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

I'm not going to dwell on this now, because 3-1 is fun and I'm going to enjoy this, but you are 100% correct.

If OBJ doesn't turn what was basically a broken play into a highlight, there's a good chance IMO the Browns suffer one of the most humiliating defeats in their history. That was nearly an epic choke job. 

But hey, 3-1. ☺️

I mean, for a second there it was "oh shit!", but then it was, "Ooooooooooooooh yes!". No kidding, I literally had to walk the dog because I was going to go absolutely nuts watching the deterioration of our gigantic lead. It was a terrible fan experience to keep staring at the clock, see it seemingly hold still FOREVER, and then see our beautiful lead vanish like a cat fart on a farm. 

Hats off to Stefanski for calling that reverse, I mean, it literally almost sunk us but then turned into our salvation. I guarantee the coaches noticed severe over-pursuit by the defense and that triggered the call. That's the kind of in-game coaching we've been clamoring for in Cleveland for years. 

We have it now. 

• Upvote 2

37 minutes ago, hoorta said:

Sure to move up significantly in the NFL Beauty rankings- er, the "power rankings". they all love dem Cowboys...   Not so much now because the 'Pokes D is crapola....  

The Cowboys and the WTFs lead the NFC East with 1-3 records.   Philly could actually take the division lead if they win tonight,   they are now 0-2-1, could be  1-2-1....or 0-3-1

2. Baker missed a throw. I know what you're thinking, "He's not perfect, Jiggins!" Yeah, well it was 3rd down and our team was REELING. The pocket was crystal clear and Baker missed a WIDE open OBJ down the sidelines by about 10 feet. It was awful. It would have likely ended the game, or close to it.

That was a very, very difficult throw.   I would say odds of connecting on that particular throw would be less than 50% for any NFL QB

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

I'm not going to dwell on this now, because 3-1 is fun and I'm going to enjoy this, but you are 100% correct.

If OBJ doesn't turn what was basically a broken play into a highlight, there's a good chance IMO the Browns suffer one of the most humiliating defeats in their history. That was nearly an epic choke job. 

But hey, 3-1. ☺️

Leave us not start printing or- dare I say it, start sending playoff tickets to our cell phones yet- but the schedule on the way out looks favorable. 2 games against the NFC least- the Eagles and Giants. Then the road games against the NY Nyets, Bungles, and Jaguars. "Home" to Da Raiders and Texans.  Win one against the Squealers... Can we hit double digit wins in about forever? Stay tuned....  

1 minute ago, The Gipper said:

That was a very, very difficult throw.   I would say odds of connecting on that particular throw would be less than 50% for any NFL QB

You're not wrong. It wasn't a gimme, that's for sure, but it was close. OBJ had three steps on his man and there wasn't help that could get there. My main problem is that he didn't give OBJ a chance on it and the pass missed by a considerable distance. I know I'm being critical, but if we're going to put the squash down on teams we've got to finish people off and convert those difficult plays. Those throws separate the men from the boys. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

2. Baker missed a throw. I know what you're thinking, "He's not perfect, Jiggins!" Yeah, well it was 3rd down and our team was REELING. The pocket was crystal clear and Baker missed a WIDE open OBJ down the sidelines by about 10 feet. It was awful. It would have likely ended the game, or close to it.

I think you are being too generous it was a bad miss.

If I remember correctly there was no safety over top.  He wasn't fitting into any tight window. OBJ had his defender beaten.  He missed wide badly.  He could have lofted it put air under it some more touch but Baker likes to zip it.   

He had good day though.  Again NO INTs.  If we run like that and he is mistake free like that we are a really good team

• Thanks 1

As they say...

All's well that ends.

What a day what a game... more on the game later.

Attendance looked to be about 10% of capacity, but credit to Jerrah... his place looked fully staffed and was as neat as a pin.

Here's the 10:45-ish arrival. Roof was closed, but front and back doors were open so there was quite a breeze all game long.

572166509_Opendoor.jpg.ba9ee0f29ebdf08b1024df873ceb54b3.jpg

Here's the view... absolutely loved the seats. For reference Landry's TD pass to OBJ was straight at us.

114927490_TheView.jpg.05b16c4087a6d55a8b4af61e341edcae.jpg

And finally here's the best view of all since it includes Mrs. Tour...

2043083301_TheBetterView.jpg.1437dd3dba02bf92890ea77f529ca626.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 11

5 minutes ago, jiggins7919 said:

You're not wrong. It wasn't a gimme, that's for sure, but it was close. OBJ had three steps on his man and there wasn't help that could get there. My main problem is that he didn't give OBJ a chance on it and the pass missed by a considerable distance. I know I'm being critical, but if we're going to put the squash down on teams we've got to finish people off and convert those difficult plays. Those throws separate the men from the boys. 

I didn't fucking stutter.   It was a very difficult throw. 

5 minutes ago, SdBacker80 said:

I think you are being too generous it was a bad miss.

If I remember correctly there was no safety over top.  He wasn't fitting into any tight window. OBJ had his defender beaten.  He missed wide badly.  He could have lofted it put air under it some more touch but Baker likes to zip it.   

He had good day though.  Again NO INTs.  If we run like that and he is mistake free like that we are a really good team

Again, I did not stutter.   It was a very difficult throw.  OBJ did NOT clear coverage until the ball was already in the air. 

You all are being some pretty picky little  fucktards by dwelling  on that one missed pass. 

How about dwelling on the fucking defense almost blowing a fucking  24 point lead in the 4th quarter.   How many of his 500 yards did  Prescott get in that quarter?   Like  350 of his  500? 

And from what I saw, the run game was either not being called or not working well that quarter, save the 50 yarder by OBJ.

4 hours ago, Nero said:

Appart from the heart attack of the 4th qtr (prevent defense was too early and killed us), great game on both sides. 

Great running game, based on an OL that dominates. I would be happy if Baker is just under 200 yards every sunday if he has this good pct of completion and makes few mistakes. And if we need a big play, we still have OBJ and Landry. 

Our secondary is a liability as of today (thank God for Ward) and our defense overall is so-so, thus just letting the Cowboys get points on 4th qrtr after being gassed is kind of expected. 

We need to keep drives going all game, defending with the time of possession. We did it until 4th qtr. 

Yes Baker with 200 yards no turnovers, and the run game clicking, we're going to win a lot of games this year. FWIW, Dak is on pace for a record shattering 6,700 yards passing, and it's gotten them to 1-3....  

Hey Nero- we need to get MASH unit Greedy healthy- that will make a small difference in the defensive secondary...  

It's been 19 seasons since the browns started a season at 3-1... let that sink in a moment 🤔 ..

Yep! were not perfect at mostly anything 😮.. But it won't matter to me come Cowboy Victory Monday.. EnJoy this Guys!! Gumby Out!

6 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Again, I did not stutter.   It was a very difficult throw.  OBJ did NOT clear coverage until the ball was already in the air. 

You all are being some pretty picky little  fucktards by dwelling  on that one missed pass. 

How about dwelling on the fucking defense almost blowing a fucking  24 point lead in the 4th quarter.   How many of his 500 yards did  Prescott get in that quarter?   Like  350 of his  500? 

And from what I saw, the run game was either not being called or not working well that quarter, save the 50 yarder by OBJ.

Yes, it was a huge el foldo by the defense in the 4th. But you anticipate a guy breaking open. It was a bad throw that would have sealed the deal.  Baker missed a couple of other throws high and long in the game. Better than short and intercepted I suppose. OTOH- those sideline routes to Landry on 3rd down were perfect passes that kept critical drives going. So I certainly give Baker a passing grade today.... 

10 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

I was dwelling on the one comment you made and responding to your post.

OBJ was open at any level Pop Warner, HS, College, Pro.  He was wide open in the NFL.   He missed OBJ.  But don’t worry He played really well and NFL QBs miss some throws.  He’d probably like to have it back - I guarantee he wants that one back and he probably makes that throw 8 out of 10 times.  That’s life.  No big deal.  We won.

You made other comments. I don’t disagree about the defense. They had a few moments but none of those happened in the 4th Quarter.  Over the course of entire quarter the Scheme, penetration, Coverage, Tackling, rally to the ball, field awareness all horribly off.  

• Upvote 1

The 2020 stars are showing why PLAYMAKERZ don't get you anywhere.. Dak will put up Madden "very easy" level stats, but would any Dallas uninjured D starters make even the Browns roster? Last seasons stars drafted WR in the first rather than anything for the D.

It's not just one side of the ball that "wins championships" -- gotta be good-to-great at both.

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, hoorta said:

Leave us not start printing or- dare I say it, start sending playoff tickets to our cell phones yet- but the schedule on the way out looks favorable. 2 games against the NFC least- the Eagles and Giants. Then the road games against the NY Nyets, Bungles, and Jaguars. "Home" to Da Raiders and Texans.  Win one against the Squealers... Can we hit double digit wins in about forever? Stay tuned....  

I predicted a 6-10 season. 

I'd stand by that still, if it wasn't for the fact that this schedule is now laughably easy beyond the three games vs the Steelers and Ravens, and next week's game vs the Colts. 

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

I didn't fucking stutter.   It was a very difficult throw. 

Just watched it again. Not that hard. Am I saying I could do it? Hell no. But it wasn't half as hard as some of the throws Dak made. It's a wide open sideline, intermediate throw. Complete the pass. 

1 hour ago, hoorta said:

Off to a great start and I love it. I just hope Chubb is OK. He's getting an MRI and I know he's already blown one knee out, so I'm praying for him (and us) that it's just a sprain. Didn't look great, that's for damn sure. And we need Hunt to get healthy...good lord he looked amazing on some of his runs! 

3 minutes ago, jiggins7919 said:

Just watched it again. Not that hard. Am I saying I could do it? Hell no. But it wasn't half as hard as some of the throws Dak made. It's a wide open sideline, intermediate throw. Complete the pass. 

It was a throw any starting QB should hit.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, jiggins7919 said:

I didn't fucking stutter.  It was a very difficult pass. 

And why the FUCKING hell are you obsessed by one pass ya Goober?  Again, when the defense gave up  500 yards, and sometimes they were not in the picture on half of them. 

2 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

It was a throw any starting QB should hit.  

You too numbnuts?  Obsessed by one fucking pass? 

Do you want fucking Weeden back?  JFF?  Kizer?  Quinn? 

We have seen shitty fucking quarterbacking here.  Are you fucktards not happy unless you have something to whine and cry about  or if we had one  of those klunker QBs  back running this team? 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, jiggins7919 said:

Agree. He needs to study how Brees hits those wide open long shots. Puts a lot of arc on the ball for the receiver to go track down. Just change the arc and that's a home run with OBJ.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Agree. He needs to study how Brees hits those wide open long shots. Puts a lot of arc on the ball for the receiver to go track down. Just change the arc and that's a home run with OBJ.

The camera focused on him after the pass and he had this "Wtf happened" look on his face. Lol. 

6 hours ago, The Gipper said:

You too numbnuts?  Obsessed by one fucking pass? 

Do you want fucking Weeden back?  JFF?  Kizer?  Quinn? 

We have seen shitty fucking quarterbacking here.  Are you fucktards not happy unless you have something to whine and cry about  or if we had one  of those klunker QBs  back running this team? 

Settle down, homer. 

I agree, that pass to OBJ should have been closer.  Baker was good yesterday.  And I think this team is going to help his confidence.  But Baker has to stop over throwing OBJ and over throwing passes in general.  

I was wondering if Baker puts unnecessary pressure on himself and over thinks passes to OBJ.  He under throws, throws behind and over throws OBJ, at least from my perspective, more than other receivers.  Maybe there is that last minute thought and over thinks the throw and just misses it. 

Overall, it was a good win.  I hate prevent offense and prevent defenses.  Stop putting on the brakes and hammer home the win.  That game got too damn close at the end.  
This might be some of the best play calling since the Browns have been back.  Creative, well balanced.  

Game thoughts...

• Stef's playcalling...

OK... he's probably the best we've seen since Shanny the Younger, but... after a Chubb chunk play to open our first series when we went "gun" on the next play I said aloud, "Stef, what are you doing?" And sure enough from the pocket Baker damn near throws an INT to a 'Boy he never saw undercutting his target. It should have been a pick and would have been had not Baker put so much behind a relatively short throw. THAT would have set an entirely different tone to the 1st Qtr, if not the 1st half, if not the game.

Nowhere was there more demand for 22 looks and pounding with a touch of PAP than in the 4th QTR... a n d  w e  d i d  n o t  d o  t h i s. While was muttering into my mask, a fellow Browns fan about ten seats to my left was asking loudly, "What are we doing?" I answered, "Good question!"

We are built to be a power Offense. It's clear as can be to all of us, but it is not yet our identity... and that's on Stef.

• The OL

Hard to remember a time when we had one that was this versatile. These guys can hammer and dance... punish and finesse... pound and.... well, you get the point which is they are really, really good with a chance to be great. All they need is time and health... and for the O to have a goddamn identity.

• The trick plays

I was and still am concerned that Stef is falling in love with them. Yes... they worked and for big plays, but that was against a woeful 'Boyz D, the likes of which we are not going to see for a while starting next week with the Colts. Yes... the Colts... IKR? The following week it's dem Steelers.

Of course the plus from them this week was upping OBJ's trade value... ;)

• Chubb and Company

We saw that we are at least 3 deep at RB... and our #4 did not exactly suck either. All showed patience, vision and burst Sunday. Here's hoping our bell-cow, Chubb, is only hurt "week-to-week" bad, but after Sunday I believe we can weather the storm of a long absence... I just don't want to have to...

• Our D

We're simply not fast enough in the back 7... especially at LB and Safety with Ward the obvious exception (rumor has it Greedy as well.... hopefully we get to see this coming Sunday). Yes, there were a couple blown coverages... (including their opening TD to Lamb... I saw it right away and said, "Oh no."... Dak saw it late (almost missed it)... CeeDee had time to wait on a badly thrown ball)... but mostly I saw good positioning with the right reads by players lacking the speed to make a play.

I expect our speed deficit to be addressed this off season starting with the return of Delpit, but I'm also starting to think Auburn's Britt in round 1.

• Our DC (Joe Woods)

I saw a D ready to play with playcalls that by and large put players in positions to make plays. We saw this in the 2nd half when IIRC we had 2 Dak passes hit DBs hands before hitting the ground.

Only area where serious work is needed is staying home. Bootleg after  bootleg went unpressured with no greater offender than...

• Vernon

Disappointed in his return.... effort was there, and, yes, he was opposite one of, if not the best LT playing today, but I never saw him stay at home. On the 'Boyz late, 2-point conversion... I was focused on him and thought he had it diagnosed. I swear he did not pursue the fake until after the toss was made to the reversing Cooper. It was if he was more mentally tired than physically.

• Parkey

This can't be the same guy who was with us gonging uprights in MIA. That guy had a weak leg. Our current Parkey was hitting from 50+ in warmups.

Maybe more later...

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

Johnson looked like Kamara lite with his touches.  I mean that.

Johnson had the wiggle, the acceleration, AND the jump cut. It was nuts.