THE BROWNS BOARD

I Should Appreciate Tim Tebow More

Flugel

There was a REALLY good article written in the Tennessean about Tim Tebow. As I read it - I was thinking how I've made some previous comments on how sick I was about hearing about Tim Tebow. Gee, there's a surprise me running my yap.

Bottom line: he sounds like a GREAT kid on and off the field. He's an extremely hard working athlete that sets a great example for teammates and younger kids aspiring to succeed in football. That's an ideal leader teaming up with the incredible football intellect of Urban Meyer.

Nobody knows for certain if he has the goods for the next level yet or not. That said, he's not at the next level yet so why not just appreciate the fact that I get the opportunity to see what a winner looks like of this magnitude? If Florida wins their 3rd National Championship in his 4 year career - that's unchartered waters.

And, not for nothing, the NEXT level loves leaders that WIN consistently. See the Tom Brady story. He wasn't even the most popular QB on his college team so you know there weren't alot of people pegging him to be an NFL Superhero.

I'm taking the next BIG step toward embracing SEC football now that I have received my Vanderbilt Season Tickets in the mail. I'm looking forward to seeing some of the SEC powerhouses live.

- Tom F.

Forget the next level, because as you say, who knows what will happen there, though I suspect he will find a place.

The key is to focus on the here and now, and that leaves you with a college player who may go down as the greatest college player ever. Really, what's not to like about that other than he may no play for your team.

Tim is proof that good guys sometimes do finish first.

Congrats on the season tickets..while you may long hold the BUCKs dear...you won't miss Big 10 football once you start following the SEC.

A quick glance at your schedule shows 3 excellent teams marching in to Nashville....Ole Miss, GA, and Ga Tech....Ga Tech is a fun team to watch...maddening if you are playing them....and Ole Miss is my dark horse Nat. Champ...they have a really good team.

Forget the next level, because as you say, who knows what will happen there, though I suspect he will find a place.

The key is to focus on the here and now, and that leaves you with a college player who may go down as the greatest college player ever. Really, what's not to like about that other than he may no play for your team.

Tim is proof that good guys sometimes do finish first.

Congrats on the season tickets..while you may long hold the BUCKs dear...you won't miss Big 10 football once you start following the SEC.

A quick glance at your schedule shows 3 excellent teams marching in to Nashville....Ole Miss, GA, and Ga Tech....Ga Tech is a fun team to watch...maddening if you are playing them....and Ole Miss is my dark horse Nat. Champ...they have a really good team.

Thanks Ballpeen! I'm excited about the college season. I agree about GA Tech - I think Paul Johnson is an amazing coach so lookout if he's found the right kids to run that offense. Ole Miss returns alot of starters from a successful 2008 season. The radio shows here share your feelings about them. They've got a tough schedule though so it'll be fun to see how they handle the expectations.

- Tom F.

Vanderbilt's an interesting case; by virtue of their school size and academics, they're almost always at the bottom of the SEC in terms of recruiting. But, as someone mentioned on the radio here in Knoxville today, they get smart, pretty disciplined kids, and Bobby Johnson seems like a class act.

Okay, brief digression here a bit, but it's one of my favorite things that's happened at a game because it was so funny and random. A couple of years ago when Vanderbilt visited UT, they had something of a running QB. Not exactly Michael Vick, but not Bernie Kosar either. One of the kids behind me in the student section was from Vanderbilt, and he was on the phone with his mom telling him where he was in the stadium--I think she was somewhere else in the stadium looking for him.

In any event, while he was talking on his phone the Vanderbilt QB scrambled, and I got to hear the following half of his phone conversation:

Kid: No, two sections over, I'm in the section by the band, about thirty rows u--RUN, YOU FAT F***!--what? Oh, sorry, mama.

Dennis

No doubt she looks good now, but you guys need to learn to project, and my projection is she is going to weigh about 220 lbs at the age of 40.

I guess the key is are those real, or enhanced? If real, Tim needs to be thinking about the future and what it will hold. She might get pretty flabby.

Archived