THE BROWNS BOARD

***Browns VS Football Team Official Game Day Thread***

Ibleedbrown

Playing to and sticking with...

Stef refusing to give up on a run-game that struggled early was key.

For the most part yes and certainly in the fourth when it mattered the most.

i thought Freddie came back after half time and called a few series in that 3rd quarter.

someone mentioned his play with the clock in the 4th it was one of the most “unbrowns” move in years.  It was refreshing to see.

Stefanski has this line about “being multiple” well going power or 12 or 13 personnel and then emptying the backfield and splitting out 5 and watching Baker wilt.  Let’s stop being multiple there 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, jrb12711 said:

No doubt about it, that's one of those "won't go on the stat sheet" type plays that was vital. We would have been punting deep in our territory again without that throw, which led to the momentum to score as well. Quietly sitting at 8th in QBR, which could go up if Lamar has a bad night.

There was another throw that I think was during our first scoring drive. I'm not sure if it was 3rd down or not but Baker rolled out to the right and it looked like he'd just throw it away but he found OBJ on the sideline kind of deep. It was a crazy accurate throw on the damn run. That's the throw that told me Baker could do more if we asked him to. 

Here's something else we need to think about. What if Baker has a pretty good year and our team looks solid. Say we're 8-8 but can't quite get over the hump because we can't really stop anyone. Baker comes back next year, our COACH comes back, AND our system comes back. Hallelujah! Don't you think Baker and crew would be that much more comfortable after a season and a real offseason? Listen, I know NOBODY wants to hear "wait for next year" around here, but the truth is we've actually got an offensive coach with a real scheme and pieces to make it work. 

Maybe I'm wrong and we're better than 8-8. Heck, I hope we are! But if we're going to win 8 games or more we're going to have to beat some good teams, and that means Pittsburgh and Baltimore. Both appear to be a step or two in front of us...for now. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Offensive line once again dominates the Browns' top PFF grades

https://brownswire.usatoday.com/2020/09/28/browns-pff-grades-ol-week-3-bitonio-teller-myles-garrett/

Three of the Browns’ top four offensive grades from PFF in Week 3 went to offensive linemen.

• Joel Bitonio – 81.0
  • Wyatt Teller – 80.3
  • Jack Conklin – 73.2

Only WR Odell Beckham Jr. worked his way into the top foursome, scoring a season-high 76.6 in the game. Fellow wideout Jarvis Landry rounds out the top five with a 73.0 grade.

On defense, Myles Garrett’s dominant performance shot to the top of the PFF scores. Garrett earned a 91.0 overall grade and a 91.4 pass rush grade.

Linebacker B.J. Goodson parlayed his best game in a Browns uniform into a strong 84.4 overall grade. Most of that came from a 90.8 mark in coverage that was helped by an interception. CB Kevin Johnson, in his Browns debut, was the only other Cleveland defender to top the 70.0 overall mark.

At the other end of the grading scale…

• CB M.J. Stewart – 30.2 overall
  • LB Sione Takitaki – 34.0
  • LB Mack Wilson – 36.9 in six snaps
  • S Ronnie Harrison – 46.3 in six snaps
  • WR JoJo Natson – 49.5 in four snaps

• Upvote 1

There was another throw that I think was during our first scoring drive. I'm not sure if it was 3rd down or not but Baker rolled out to the right and it looked like he'd just throw it away but he found OBJ on the sideline kind of deep. It was a crazy accurate throw on the damn run. That's the throw that told me Baker could do more if we asked him to. 

Here's something else we need to think about. What if Baker has a pretty good year and our team looks solid. Say we're 8-8 but can't quite get over the hump because we can't really stop anyone. Baker comes back next year, our COACH comes back, AND our system comes back. Hallelujah! Don't you think Baker and crew would be that much more comfortable after a season and a real offseason? Listen, I know NOBODY wants to hear "wait for next year" around here, but the truth is we've actually got an offensive coach with a real scheme and pieces to make it work. 

Maybe I'm wrong and we're better than 8-8. Heck, I hope we are! But if we're going to win 8 games or more we're going to have to beat some good teams, and that means Pittsburgh and Baltimore. Both appear to be a step or two in front of us...for now. 

I don’t think we have to wait for next year.  First the schedule is favorable.

But Play ball control with our great line and great backs...in turn you protect the defense which can be successful by giving us a stop or a big splash play by Myles.  We need to Limit the Baker gunslinging element hence (for now) and this in turn reduces turnovers. 

this is the first time in Decades that I can remember a Browns team having a viable plan to win games. 

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, SdBacker80 said:

I don’t think we have to wait for next year.  First the schedule is favorable.

But Play ball control with our great line and great backs...in turn you protect the defense which can be successful by giving us a stop or a big splash play by Myles.  We need to Limit the Baker gunslinging element hence (for now) and this in turn reduces turnovers. 

this is the first time in Decades that I can remember a Browns team having a viable plan to win games. 

Bingo. I just linked a story above that discusses adjustments and our OL plan of attack. It's really well written. 

What I really like is how we're kind of keeping it vanilla. It makes a lot of sense right now. We'll keep adding more and more as the season progresses and Baker will continue to develop confidence and familiarity with the offense. THAT'S what we're going for...familiarity. Less thinking, more doing. When that happens, we'll truly be dangerous again. And for those of us who are kind of wanting an aerial display from our high-priced toys? Well, that's coming. We're not just going to be a grind it out offense all the time. There's going to be games where Baker throws for a ton of yards and OBJ has multiple TDs. Heck, it might even be this week! 

But you know what? I hope it's not. I hope next week looks JUST like this one! Play hard, play smart, and crush their spirits on the ground in the 4th quarter. 

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, JimboJones said:

Yes.

Do we start planning the SB parade now that they've beaten two of the worst teams in the league?  Check the Ravens game to see how they stack up against contenders.

Some people will never be happy. Regarding the Ravens game?  You're playing one of the teams favored to go to the Super Bowl, with the same coaching staff and players... Browns? New coaching staff and systems on both offense and defense. No preseason, and hardly any practices to work on things.  Baltimore had continuity, the Browns did not. Gipper and a bunch of the others have it right- you beat the teams you're supposed to beat and split with the playoff teams... The preseason power rankings had the Browns somewhere around #26,  so yeah- let's play the #1 the ranked team on the road for an opening game. The schedule makers stuck it to the Browns royally for that one...  I was hardly surprised the Browns got smoked.... 

21 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Have to consider the opponent, but...

• 3 picks today... 2 by our "woeful" LB corps... including 1 by that 9th-yr pro who is not a vet.
  • D allowed only 103 yd rushing including 22 by a WR on one reverse... so that's 81 by RBs and WSH has some good backs.
  • 3 sacks including 2 with a trifecta by Miles "I'm just gettin' started here" Garrett
  • Chubb goes for a buck + 08... Hunt adds another 46.
  • Stef stuck with the run despite having issues getting going.
  • Baker posts a very efficient 16/23 for 156 and 2 TDs with no turnovers.
  • OBJ looked happy despite only 4 catches... routes looked crisp to boot...
  • Ditto for Landry...

Nice game... nice W...

A win is a win... We can quibble what the score would have been if we didn't have a +5  in the turnover department. Was it 24 points off of turnovers?   Thanks Dwayne for all your help..  

PS- in the coaching department- night and day between Kevin and Freddie.... 

PPS- Damn covid wiped out my potential road trip to Dallas... 

19 hours ago, Flugel said:

You know what else OBJ does consistently well that his critics don't want to give him credit for?   He blocks people and takes pride in doing it.  

What else does he do? Consistently draws double coverage leaving other guys open. Go watch the replay of the Hunt TD catch. Two Washington defenders were collapsing on OBJ, leaving Hunt open for an easy catch... 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

I remember the winless season. I remember the tears of our lone victory the following year. I remember being told patience as our team was the routine punchline every week. 

I remember. And this ain't that. 

Go Browns! 

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, SdBacker80 said:

Some under the radar play...
I thought Tavierre Thomas played a good game. I recall a big tackle, no big play over him and  heady recovery after hustling down the field.

Well said!  I remember the tackle you are talking about yesterday; and I agree.  I saw another really good tackle from Karl Joseph that I liked me quite a bit.

Even though we got rathoused in the opener, I thought we did a pretty good job of tackling especially considering the outcome.  Baltimore's game plan found and exploited the mismatches in coverage.  Mark Andrews was a nightmare for us like he'll be to everyone else.  I never realized he had such a gigantic catch radius until I saw him reach up for that one.  Harrison Bryant is gonna be like that in the near future.  

When I see guys getting where the scheme needs them to be like the LBers in particular;  they're usually in good position to make an open field tackle or an ideal form tackle.  There were a couple examples of bad eye disciple where Takitaki got there late and over-ran the ball-carrier.  All he could do was stick his arm out and the patty cake was denied.  I saw another arm tackle from Goodson that was denied by the ball carrier for similar reasons I just mentioned (not quite as bad). 

4 hours ago, hoorta said:

so yeah- let's play the #1 the ranked team on the road for an opening game. The schedule makers stuck it to the Browns royally for that one...  I was hardly surprised the Browns got smoked.... 

I actually liked that we had to play against arguably the toughest team on our schedule week 1. Instead of potentially losing to an average team. The team woke up and responded to that loss. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

Some under the radar play...
I thought Tavierre Thomas played a good game. I recall a big tackle, no big play over him and  heady recovery after hustling down the field.

Tavierre Thomas saved the damn day when he hustled after our first pick and fell on the fumble. He had another play that eludes me but I remember saying that I had to be nice to him now. Lol

Reflecting on the game...

Sunday was a big step for us. To lose the lead, but then comeback even stronger... well... that's called learning how to win.

Not that we're in Grad school... or college... or even HS... maybe not even Jr High... but it was a start... even if it came against an inferior team.

Long way to go... talk of playoffs in 2020 is just ludicrous IMO... but even when that does happen (and it will happen dammit), then we have to learn to win there as well.

For now I'll take the elementary education that started Sunday in place of our advanced degree in Suckology: The Art of Finding New Ways to Lose.

1 hour ago, Unsympathetic said:

Offense and Defense grades

Hooper 70.7, Wills 57.8, DE Joe Jackson 69.4, Goodson 84.4, Ronnie Harrison 46.3

Time to accept it: Wilson 36.9, Takitaki 34.0 .. as someone once said, they are who we thought they are

Good to see Joe Jackson steppin’ out...

Looking at the links though, l can’t follow how Chubb was graded as “replaceable” with a grade of 50 something. 

36 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Sunday was a big step for us. To lose the lead, but then comeback even stronger... well... that's called learning how to win.

Not that we're in Grad school... or college... or even HS... maybe not even Jr High... but it was a start... even if it came against an inferior team.

Long way to go... talk of playoffs in 2020 is just ludicrous IMO... but even when that does happen (and it will happen dammit), then we have to learn to win there as well.

For now I'll take the elementary education that started Sunday in place of our advanced degree in Suckology: The Art of Finding New Ways to Lose.

While yes, it certainly is too early to talk playoffs,  Nevertheless,  I will likely be starting my "If the Playoffs Started Today" threads after next weeks game.

Here is a preview:

AFC division leaders in at this point:  Bills/Steelers/Titans/Chiefs.     5 teams tied at 2-1 for 3 WC spots:  Browns, Ravens, Raiders, Colts, Pats.    Based on just conference records.....Baltimore and NE would be in.   Browns would be tied with Colts for the last spot, both  1-1 in conference.   Raiders would be on the outside.

But...like you said...too early.   (but not after next week!!) 

1 hour ago, Tour2ma said:

For the Negative Nancy stuff about Baker.  Anyone tune into the MNF game?  Yeah, Mayfield isn't Mahomes- but then again, no other QB currently in the NFL is either. He absolutely shredded a stout Ravens defense that gave us fits. I'll say it now- he's a Tom Brady with wheels, a better arm, and around a 1\2 second better reaction time... Besides being able to toss the rock 50+ yards effortlessly and with accuracy- there were a couple exceptional touch passes. Nice dodging the rush and rifling the ball to an open receiver too.... 

KC gave everyone the blueprint on how to beat the Ratbirds. Stop their run, and make Jackson beat you with his arm. (He's drastically improved in that department though.) Also, need outside contain so he can't beat you with his legs... 

2 minutes ago, hoorta said:

For the Negative Nancy stuff about Baker.  Anyone tune into the MNF game?  Yeah, Mayfield isn't Mahomes- but then again, no other QB currently in the NFL is either. He absolutely shredded a stout Ravens defense that gave us fits. I'll say it now- he's a Tom Brady with wheels, a better arm, and around a 1\2 second better reaction time... Besides being able to toss the rock 50+ yards effortlessly and with accuracy- there were a couple exceptional touch passes. Nice dodging the rush and rifling the ball to an open receiver too.... 

KC gave everyone the blueprint on how to beat the Ratbirds. Stop their run, and make Jackson beat you with his arm. (He's drastically improved in that department though.) Also, need outside contain so he can't beat you with his legs... 

Jackson has shit accuracy after 15 yards.. He underthrew and whiffed on a lot of passes tonight... He can run his ass off and thats about it... He's a run first QB who won't be around long..

46 minutes ago, hoorta said:

Yeah, Mayfield isn't Mahomes- but then again, no other QB currently in the NFL is either

Mahomes is in a whole different dimension. I've never seen anybody play the game like he does and makes it look so effortless, the game is too easy for him. I seen him rocket a pass to Kelce with pinpoint accuracy even though his feet weren't even on the ground. The dude is just nuts. I remember when Deshun Watson said he was the Michael Jordan of football, nope, Mahomes is the Jordan of football.

Have to give some credit to Reid and Bieniemy.  They had multiple perfect play calls down in the red zone for TDs.  Masterful job on their part.

They’ve got weapons, an elite QB and a brilliant play caller, But a decent line.  If you are going to challenge that team this year you need to do it with your front 4 and score points. 

We had a pretty good thread in here on Ravens weeks on how to contain Lamar.  We don’t have the ideal personnel This season But we can play keep away/ball control on offense and stick to a few fundamentals on D and pull a few stops.  We will see if it happens down the road. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Neo said:

Mahomes is in a whole different dimension. I've never seen anybody play the game like he does and makes it look so effortless, the game is too easy for him. I seen him rocket a pass to Kelce with pinpoint accuracy even though his feet weren't even on the ground. The dude is just nuts. I remember when Deshun Watson said he was the Michael Jordan of football, nope, Mahomes is the Jordan of football.

You can tell he has a baseball background, I would guess he played some shortstop in his past. His ability to throw from different arm angles, with his feet in different positions is not taught by football guys. 

6 hours ago, Neo said:

I said this after I watched him in person against Denver in Mile High last year. He threw a rocket about 40 yards that never seemed much higher than 10-15 feet, bounced on

the ground and skidded what seemed another 30-40 yds before rolling dead. Never seen an arm that strong that looked like he was just wrist flicking it, though I know that

could not really be the case. It was more like watching a great golf shot that just clicks with perfect effortless timing yet goes 300+ yds. He won that game on a late TD drive 

at the end.

48 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

You can tell he has a baseball background, I would guess he played some shortstop in his past. His ability to throw from different arm angles, with his feet in different positions is not taught by football guys. 

that background has got to help.. See Russ Wilson & Kyler Murray.. just once, i'd like to hear the throwing distance of a Josh Allen thrown baseball & football in the Denver air.. what county it lands in won't matter.😅. just the metric throwing distance..