THE BROWNS BOARD

***Browns VS Football Team Official Game Day Thread***

Ibleedbrown

2 hours ago, D Bone said:

Then 3-1 it is... 

lol... well let's not go crazy as I am going to the game and cannot remember the last time I saw us win in person.

I take that back... I remember seeing us beat the Oilers in the Astrodome in the '84. :)

2 hours ago, Canton Mike said:

One thing I'll add that I've noticed in all games this year...we are wrapping up & TACKLING rather than doing that "kill shot" shoulder block shit! Finally, a coaching staff stressing fundamentals.

True... when we get the ball carrier in our sight...

... but we still need work on "breaking down" in open field situations. Saw our D flying right past the ball a few more times today.

Well coached and executed game. A few predictable/bad playcalls here and there such as a run on a 3rd and 1 where a PA would’ve been nice. Defensively, we sat back in coverage on a long 3rd and goal and let Haskins calmly find Inman.  

Solid performance all around from the defense. Good coverage from Mitchell and Goodson. Nice INT by Malcolm Smith. Great hit and INT from Karl Joseph. Defensive line depth is impressive. 
Offensive line is among the best in the league. TE room is great. WRs are great. RBs are great..and Baker is the franchise QB.

Also, I don’t recall so many hardcounts in a game.

1 hour ago, JimboJones said:

idk I'm just messin' around.  Haven't been a fan long enough to witness anything but failure, and I don't like our QB.

Just looked up the games stats. The Browns stats weren't great by any means, especially Baker. Only a 156 yards passing but the big thing is 2 TD's and no INT's, but he got the job done that's all that counts. If you didn't knw the outcome of the game looked at the teams stats first you would have never guessed we had won by as much as we did. Baker leaves a lot to be desired, but he the best we have right now and as long as he is winning games I'm ok with that.

This was a very interesting game. Would I love to see us step on the gas and maintain momentum? Yes. However, that's not realistic in most NFL games. I mean, just look across the league today and notice just how many games started out one way and then completely went the other. Fact is, it's really hard to blow someone out, even the bad teams. Take Washington for example. They were down like 17 to Philly and then guess what? They came back. And won. 

So yeah, hard to extend leads and put teams completely out. One thing I do love is how Baker responded to being down. I mean we were LIFELESS out there and then he drilled that 3rd and 12 to OBJ and everything changed. This team has moxie and we proved it. Something else about Baker that was nice was the TD pass to Bryant. That was a poorly designed play (said by coach) and Baker calmly fled the pocket and delivered a strike to a wide open rookie. 

To be honest, I'm more upset with the defense, even though we forced 5 TOs. It just seemed like we had no answer for them and I really don't like giving up TDs and not forcing FG's...especially when people are wide open in the damn end zone. That happened twice and it's worrisome. The 5 turnovers were AMAZING, but those won't always be there. We need to be able to get teams off the field on 3rd and 4th down. 

Am I complaining? Hell no, that shit was awesome. I got to watch a victory with my Pops and talk some smack in the Tavern. It was awesome and we have a winning record. Bring it on, Dallas. We can score points, too. 

44 minutes ago, Neo said:

If you didn't knw the outcome of the game looked at the teams stats first you would have never guessed we had won by as much as we did.

Turnover differential tells the story of the margin.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

lol... well let's not go crazy as I am going to the game and cannot remember the last time I saw us win in person.

I take that back... I remember seeing us beat the Oilers in the Astrodome in the '84. :)

I remember that game as well, it was awesome! Have a great time and don't forget to upload a picture from your seat in the official game day thread..... and I'm not riding for this one, I'm all in from the kickoff.  

40 minutes ago, Neo said:

Only a 156 yards passing but the big thing is 2 TD's and no INT's, but he got the job done that's all that counts.

Honestly, he probably played better than you think. When we needed it, he delivered it. The game plan was specifically designed to get the ball out quickly and we really didn't want to hold onto the ball long with their nasty defensive front. Additionally, Washington basically shut down our rushing attack for the majority of the first half and Baker had to deal with multiple 3rd and longs. Definitely not ideal. Moreover, our rookie LT wasn't exactly lighting it up today and certainly put some pressure on our QB. 

• Upvote 2

A positive to take away regarding Baker is that Washington plays their DEs out wide, which effectively took Baker's roll-outs away. I don't recall any plays which were designed roll-outs for him. So he was staying in the pocket, the place where he has been least effective. And he still had a good, decent game. I think there was progress made today.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Tour2ma said:

Turnover differential tells the story of the margin.

Yep. - 5 might even tell you the score was worse. 

10 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Oh wow, I believe that was the last game of the season, and a rookie RB from East Carolina had a huge day for the win. 

14 hours ago, JimboJones said:

Do we start planning the SB parade now that they've beaten two of the worst teams in the league?  Check the Ravens game to see how they stack up against contenders.

No.  But beating teams you're supposed to beat is the first step toward becoming champs.  We might want to have a parade for that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 7moses7 said:

Seemed like most running plays went to the right side , there wasn’t much gained. Except for the cut back by Chubb .  Wonder why they didn’t run more to the left .   Anyone have stats on that  just curious 

Inside runs were tough sledding but we found success running outside the tackle box. I counted 3 plays where Teller pulled and led the way on the left side for big Chubby gains. I bet over half his yards were those 3 plays.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 7moses7 said:

Seemed like most running plays went to the right side , there wasn’t much gained. Except for the cut back by Chubb .  Wonder why they didn’t run more to the left .   Anyone have stats on that  just curious 

Hold your cursor down over top the OL-mens position.. I'm not sure if site updated as of yesterday? Good nutz & boltz stuff here, i use a lot.. up top change to team CLE   https://www.sharpfootballstats.com/directional-rushing-production--off-.html  🤫 

• Thanks 1

Jobi had another nice game yesterday. I mean this when I say it, that isn't the type of player you think you'll just replace at the same cost.  

He had one of the best TFLs I’ve seen in awhile. I agree those space eating penetrators hard to come by in the open market without paying top dollar and they don’t grow on trees in the draft either.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, tiamat63 said:

Jobi had another nice game yesterday. I mean this when I say it, that isn't the type of player you think you'll just replace at the same cost.  

And when Garrett moves inside next to him they become unstoppable nearly every time. The center has trouble deciding which guard is gonna need the most help.

I plan to review the whole defensive game with focus on Garrett alone and how many times he played each position across the LOS. I kind of like

moving him around line that so no one OL gets a true feel on how to stop him at any given moment. That Trifecta was a thing of athletic beauty. And

it came from his "normal" RDE position I believe.

Inside runs were tough sledding but we found success running outside the tackle box. I counted 3 plays where Teller pulled and led the way on the left side for big Chubby gains. I bet over half his yards were those 3 plays.

That’s the makeup of this scheme.  Get a couple yards Get a couple more next time get those big bodied Defenive lineman moving East and west each play and then work in a play action and then we have two elite backs to pop a big run.  The 2 yard run isn’t flashy but it could set up the next play and I really believe we have two backs that need volume because they will take 20% of those runs and hit a big play.

We get outside of ourselves sometimes by going empty set - pocket passing Baker.  That’s not us.  That was the 3rd Quarter and parts of the first too. 

We need to make next Sunday ugly.  66/33 run pass mix.  The boys can and will expose our secondary...but the key will be pressure with him our Dline (front 4) if we can disrupt Dak with just our front four and exhibit patience on the offensive side.  I like the chances 

17 minutes ago, SdBacker80 said:

That’s the makeup of this scheme.  Get a couple yards Get a couple more next time get those big bodied Defenive lineman moving East and west each play and then work in a play action and then we have two elite backs to pop a big run.  The 2 yard run isn’t flashy but it could set up the next play and I really believe we have two backs that need volume because they will take 20% of those runs and hit a big play.

We get outside of ourselves sometimes by going empty set - pocket passing Baker.  That’s not us.  That was the 3rd Quarter and parts of the first too. 

We need to make next Sunday ugly.  66/33 run pass mix.  The boys can and will expose our secondary...but the key will be pressure with him our Dline (front 4) if we can disrupt Dak with just our front four and exhibit patience on the offensive side.  I like the chances 

I believe the ratio yesterday from what I heard,  was  37 runs and just 23 passes. .  And remember, they were behind by 3 points going into the 4th quarter.   So, there is your patience.  That 17 point makeup came a lot via the ground, not the air. 

Compare to what Joe Burrow has had to do:   60 throws against the Browns....44 against the Eagles. 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, D Bone said:

... don't forget to upload a picture from your seat in the official game day thread.

I'll try, but my flip phone is rather limited...

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, jiggins7919 said:

Man, that's so funny. I was just about to edit my post to include that laser on 3rd and 12 but you beat me to it! That throw came directly after we lost our 10 point lead and we had ZERO momentum. That throw got us started big time, and then we settled down and got back to work. 

No doubt about it, that's one of those "won't go on the stat sheet" type plays that was vital. We would have been punting deep in our territory again without that throw, which led to the momentum to score as well. Quietly sitting at 8th in QBR, which could go up if Lamar has a bad night.

More than anything, it's incredibly encouraging to have a coach playing to the strengths of players and the team. What an amazing difference it makes.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Oh wow, I believe that was the last game of the season...

You are correct... but I was wrong... as in wrong year.

Game was in Sept, '86... day before my birthday. Game was blacked out in HOU, but I usually could turn my outdoor antenna towards Beaumont, TX and pick up the game there. No such luck that day so I booked it down to the dome and splurged on a $50 ticket right next to the broadcast booth... mid level/ mid-field.

Game was tight thru 2-1/2 qtrs or so until Bernie hit Langhorne for a deep, 50-yd+ TD to put us ahead for good.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, jrb12711 said:

More than anything, it's incredibly encouraging to have a coach playing to the strengths of players and the team. What an amazing difference it makes.

Playing to and sticking with...

Stef refusing to give up on a run-game that struggled early was key.

3 hours ago, gumby73 said:

Hold your cursor down over top the OL-mens position.. I'm not sure if site updated as of yesterday? Good nutz & boltz stuff here, i use a lot.. up top change to team CLE   https://www.sharpfootballstats.com/directional-rushing-production--off-.html  🤫 

Really cool site, gumster... thanx.

Turns out we ran right 18 times and left 16 times...

1230460171_WSHDirectionalRushingProduction(OFF).png.d34bbd58997a5b407a924cce12d3bcbb.png

11 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Playing to and sticking with...

Stef refusing to give up on a run-game that struggled early was key.

This is exactly how it works for the Titans when their D keeps them in range into the 4th Q. That's when no one on the other side either can or is willing to 

try to stop the speedy 250 lb Henry sledgehammer who just keeps on pounding on them by design.