THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns -7 v Washington football team

Icecube

19 minutes ago, jiggins7919 said:

... that pick he threw last week really influenced the game.

He had Bryant for the score, but the Cinci rusher made BM have to adjust by stepping inside to dodge him which delayed the throw a second which allowed the outside DB to get in position for the easy pick.

Read was correct, but late over the middle is always trouble. A principle that should have been beaten into Baker's brain for the past 6 days...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Read was correct, but late over the middle is always trouble. A principle that should have been beaten into Baker's brain for the past 6 days...

You're so right, man. It's such a wonderful example of how pressure, even a little, can influence a play. Bryant was totally open, but that half a second it took to evade that DT made the difference. It's also important to note that play by the DB. If you watch the play, that guy is literally near the damn line of scrimmage and once he sees it's a fake, he immediately hauls ass while maintaining eye contact with Baker and ends up almost at the damn goal line. It was truly an amazing play. 

What Baker REALLY should have done was throw it with more air. The DB was under on the coverage and a throw OVER him was possible. Difficult, but at least nobody but our guy gets it. My biggest single problem with this damn play is that Baker has made this EXACT pick at least twice. As a rookie he made this pick against the Broncos right before half and it almost cost us. 

1 hour ago, jiggins7919 said:

Yep, that's him! I'm glad it's not serious but also glad he's not playing us. You know what's funny? It seems like every time I see where we're playing a beat up and run down OL, and everybody is certain that we're going to dominate them...it doesn't happen. Take last week for example. I thought our DL certainly played WELL, but I didn't think they absolutely took over the game or anything. Garrett had the play of the year so far and really put us ahead after we botched that goal line set of downs, which apparently was somewhat the fault of our rookie OT, Wills. I didn't verify this with my own eyes but someone was saying he dropped the ball twice. 

Dwayne Haskins is not as mobile as Burrow, which is good for us, and they also don't run the ball particularly well either. This could be an awesome opportunity for our defense to force some of those....what are they called again? Oh yes, PUNTS. Also, we get Clayborne back and we already love Porter Gustin in spot duty. We SHOULD give this line fits and we SHOULD see some of those pesky punts. I also don't believe we're going to see Washington go for it on 4th downs very often, so if we do actually stop them on 3rd, it should be our ball. Haskins had pretty decent numbers last week, but I have a feeling he got a lot of his yards and completions in the 4th quarter in garbage time. 

Also, for you fantasy guys, I think our TEs score at least one TD, and possibly two. WHICH TE I don't know, and I'm not sure it's going to be Hooper that blows up. Why do I say that? Well, Hooper isn't always the guy going down the seam and I've seen us send Carlson and Bryant deep on multiple occasions. In fact, we missed both guys for long TDs last game because there was a little too much pressure and Baker couldn't let it go. One was the little 9 yard gain to Hunt where he caught it after Baker rolled out on the sideline. On that play, Mr. Carlson was wide open down the seam and Baker just couldn't get it there. Another one was actually the awful pick Baker threw. That was essentially a a ridiculous read by the DB and a lazy throw by Baker. That being said, Bryant WAS open earlier but again, Baker had to side step a giant defender. 

I really do believe this will be a game for our TEs. Washington actually has a solid cover linebacker, but he can't be everywhere, and we almost always play 2 TEs. We adore Bryant, and I see good things for him Sunday. 

You know what I REALLY want to see this week, besides a victory? Baker not throwing a single pick. We HAVE to start seeing him avoid those crucial mistakes and that pick he threw last week really influenced the game. He's a #1 pick. I don't want hame manager. I want a dominant force. He can be that Sunday...especially with our RBs and TEs. 

I thought our front four played well.  The Bengals playcaller and Burrow made it a point to get the ball out quickly.  80% of the time where they had something scripted downfield Burrow had pressure on him (and he seemed to be off the mark).

our coverage didn’t seem to be in sync with the pattern though.  

Washington will do the same.  You will see a heavy dose of crossers and slants

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, SdBacker80 said:

Washington will do the same.  You will see a heavy dose of crossers and slants

And with Denzel Ward and Greedy likely out, you can bet your ass they'll pick on Tavierre Thomas again. 

interesting - I wouldn't bet on the game,

the Hochuli Monster could show up and wipe out that -7 points. Sure, it's only a silly legend.

LIke Bigfoot....loch ness monster...

but this one has been actually been sighted by thousands of people.

https://www.brownsnation.com/browns-get-an-interesting-official-assigned-to-washington-matchup/

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2

13 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

interesting - I wouldn't bet on the game,

the Hochuli Monster could show up and wipe out that -7 points. Sure, it's only a silly legend.

LIke Bigfoot....loch ness monster...

but this one has been actually been sighted by thousands of people.

https://www.brownsnation.com/browns-get-an-interesting-official-assigned-to-washington-matchup/

Don't forget that the last time we played the Redskins Duke Johnson fumbled the ball as we were driving for a score that would have likely given us the win. He recovered his own fumble but the ref said Washington had it. Even though Duke was waving the ball around. 

3 minutes ago, jiggins7919 said:

He recovered his own fumble but the ref said Washington had it. Even though Duke was waving the ball around. 

Mrs. Ref Sarah Thomas.... and she's on the books to do our game this week... 🙈 🦓

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jiggins7919 said:

Don't forget that the last time we played the Redskins Duke Johnson fumbled the ball as we were driving for a score that would have likely given us the win. He recovered his own fumble but the ref said Washington had it. Even though Duke was waving the ball around. 

crap. I remember that now - that was outrageous.

• Like 1

yes

2 minutes ago, SdBacker80 said:

They owe us a make-up call.    

but "if we ain't had bad luck, we've had no luck at all..." (old Hee Haw song reference)

https://www.brownsnation.com/browns-denzel-ward-misses-practice-with-groin-injury/

dammit.

1 hour ago, The Gipper said:

Let's not make it a situation where the game comes down to a ref's call.  

I think our offense could do it, but can our defense?  Unless  Garrett et al can get 6-7 sacks, I worry about our back 7 vs. any team.

^^^this with the new age of flag happy official get up two scores on an opponent so the one gift TD doesn’t impact that game

4 hours ago, jiggins7919 said:

I could have swore that happened vs Miami... not sure what I'm thinking of. 

22 hours ago, jiggins7919 said:

Yep, that's him! I'm glad it's not serious but also glad he's not playing us. You know what's funny? It seems like every time I see where we're playing a beat up and run down OL, and everybody is certain that we're going to dominate them...it doesn't happen. Take last week for example. I thought our DL certainly played WELL, but I didn't think they absolutely took over the game or anything. Garrett had the play of the year so far and really put us ahead after we botched that goal line set of downs, which apparently was somewhat the fault of our rookie OT, Wills. I didn't verify this with my own eyes but someone was saying he dropped the ball twice. 

Dwayne Haskins is not as mobile as Burrow, which is good for us, and they also don't run the ball particularly well either. This could be an awesome opportunity for our defense to force some of those....what are they called again? Oh yes, PUNTS. Also, we get Clayborne back and we already love Porter Gustin in spot duty. We SHOULD give this line fits and we SHOULD see some of those pesky punts. I also don't believe we're going to see Washington go for it on 4th downs very often, so if we do actually stop them on 3rd, it should be our ball. Haskins had pretty decent numbers last week, but I have a feeling he got a lot of his yards and completions in the 4th quarter in garbage time. 

Also, for you fantasy guys, I think our TEs score at least one TD, and possibly two. WHICH TE I don't know, and I'm not sure it's going to be Hooper that blows up. Why do I say that? Well, Hooper isn't always the guy going down the seam and I've seen us send Carlson and Bryant deep on multiple occasions. In fact, we missed both guys for long TDs last game because there was a little too much pressure and Baker couldn't let it go. One was the little 9 yard gain to Hunt where he caught it after Baker rolled out on the sideline. On that play, Mr. Carlson was wide open down the seam and Baker just couldn't get it there. Another one was actually the awful pick Baker threw. That was essentially a a ridiculous read by the DB and a lazy throw by Baker. That being said, Bryant WAS open earlier but again, Baker had to side step a giant defender. 

I really do believe this will be a game for our TEs. Washington actually has a solid cover linebacker, but he can't be everywhere, and we almost always play 2 TEs. We adore Bryant, and I see good things for him Sunday. 

You know what I REALLY want to see this week, besides a victory? Baker not throwing a single pick. We HAVE to start seeing him avoid those crucial mistakes and that pick he threw last week really influenced the game. He's a #1 pick. I don't want hame manager. I want a dominant force. He can be that Sunday...especially with our RBs and TEs. 

It's Baker time. This is a game he has to go from "just not losing it" to "laying it on" and getting his confidence back. The rush should be enough of a threat that it opens up big passing lanes downfield.  As Chubb and Hunt keep rushing for chunks, those safeties will start moving up, then Baker can torch them. 

On D, I don't think Haskins is all that, just another big, tall pocket passer with a big arm, but doesn't seem like he has a feel for the game or reading defenses. I still think the old school, pocket passers can work out fine, but he ain't it. The Browns DL will get to him some in this one. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Icecube said:

It's Baker time. This is a game he has to go from "just not losing it" to "laying it on" and getting his confidence back. The rush should be enough of a threat that it opens up big passing lanes downfield.  As Chubb and Hunt keep rushing for chunks, those safeties will start moving up, then Baker can torch them. 

On D, I don't think Haskins is all that, just another big, tall pocket passer with a big arm, but doesn't seem like he has a feel for the game or reading defenses. I still think the old school, pocket passers can work out fine, but he ain't it. The Browns DL will get to him some in this one. 

When Murray had time last week, the Redskins secondary had problems.  They have a safety Troy Apke that is struggling Big time and Landon Collins isn’t known for his coverage.  Their corners have struggled but they may get their best cover corner back.  

The line is -7 many folks can’t believe it but the factor above and the Wash Oline their lack of weapons and Haskins struggles- believe it. 

we need to roll them if we struggle in this game we aren’t a .500 team.

1 hour ago, Icecube said:

It's Baker time. 

I agree. It's time to start stacking wins and playing like a #1 overall pick. He's got the talent and the talent around him. 

3 hours ago, Icecube said:

A lot of those guys practiced, meaning they will play. 

Yeah, but Ward didn't.  And we need him.

Go Browns!  Beat Football Team!    (that is just so weird sounding.....Football Team)

13 hours ago, Orion said:

Yeah, but Ward didn't.  And we need him.

Go Browns!  Beat Football Team!    (that is just so weird sounding.....Football Team)

Ward is a helluva player, when healthy.

Problem is, he's not healthy consistently. 

• Like 1

https://triblive.com/sports/browns-garrett-off-to-flying-start/

Cleveland Browns, Myles Garrett off to flying start

Associated Press
Associated Press | Monday, September 28, 2020 4:19 p.m.

TribLIVE's Daily and Weekly email newsletters deliver the news you want and information you need, right to your inbox.

About an hour ago

CLEVELAND — Myles Garrett vowed to put the past — and a regrettable incident — behind him. This was going to be a different season for him and the Cleveland Browns.

A new beginning.

So far, Garrett has kept his word.

He had another dominant performance Sunday, getting two sacks and forcing and recovering a game-sealing fumble in the fourth quarter as the Browns beat Washington, 34-20, to improve to 2-1 for the first time since 2011...

For the second week in a row, Garrett, who spent the week hearing about Washington’s rookie defensive star Chase Young, delivered the kind of play that had been missing from his resume before this season.

With Cleveland holding a 31-20 lead, Garrett got around Washington tackle Geron Christian Sr., grabbed quarterback Dwayne Haskins and knocked the ball from his hands before grabbing it. The Browns added a field goal to put it away.

“Big-time players make big-time plays,” quarterback Baker Mayfield said of Garrett, who made a similar momentum-shifting play against Cincinnati a week earlier.

Garrett did his part in a complete, all-around effort by Cleveland, which hasn’t had many of those in recent years. The offense clicked. The defense forced five turnovers and the special teams units, which have had their issues early on, did their jobs.

“In this one, we just put it all together,” Garrett said. “That is real team ball, complementary ball that we played. I am proud of how we all came together.”