THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns -7 v Washington football team

Icecube

7 hours ago, Icecube said:

If you had to wager your mortgage on it, who do you take? 

If I had to - as in a gun to my head, I would pick Washington. 

While last Thursday was fun to watch, they also hung on for dear life to get the win, at home, and against the Bungles.... They need to string together a few more wins before I buy in with 7 points to anyone. 

If Jack Conklin is back I take the Browns.

Hubbard vs. Sweat while worrying about their other pass rushers is going to spell a long day for our offense.  That’s my key this week. Sweat is the kind of guy that Hubbard has a hard time with.  I’m not terrified of their Dline.  Our Oline has good practice in front of them each day with our line, but we can’t be 3rd and plus 5 against them and I’m confident we can run on them 

this is an interesting matchup overall though.  
Their big weapon is Terry McLaurin who will matchup against someone that knows him really well Denzel Ward.  Advantage Ward.

The Washington plays call could give us problems.  They seem to love crossing routes.  Haskins can hit a slant better than anyone, but he makes a lot of rookie type mistakes downfield.  We have a penchant for giving those up crossers and slants too easily and those routes expose our personnel flaws. They have a 3rd down back that is pretty good McKissick.  He’s a matchup problem for us.  

Haskins in many ways is like Baker.  Looks fabulous one week throws are off the next.  He misses high a lot. They have major line issues and will lineup a guy against Myles that may not be on NFL roster next season. Think about it That alone could Be worth 7 points.

they have started slowly both weeks.  They can’t do that this week.  Facing Chubb and Hunt with a deficit is lights out for you.

If it weren’t for a few of their dudes on the Dline this could be arguably the worst roster in the NFL and they are getting used to new system as well like we are. 

If Conklin is back I’m thinking we are 27-17 winner.  And I’m being nice 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, D Bone said:

If I had to - as in a gun to my head, I would pick Washington. 

While last Thursday was fun to watch, they also hung on for dear life to get the win, at home, and against the Bungles.... They need to string together a few more wins before I buy in with 7 points to anyone. 

I'd be real hesitant to give up 7. I'm not even sure if I'd take Browns even (but I probably would). Washington beat the Eagles, after being down by 17, and who look bad, and lost to AZ soundly, who look at least decent if not good. The Browns should win this game, but I'd be real nervous about having to give up 7 in this game. Quite honestly, I pass this game all together as far as betting on it. Haskins is only throwing for 56% completions, which pretty much sucks in the modern day, but he also has zero picks thus far. If the Browns have any chance of making the playoffs, they must win against teams like this.  

• Like 1

I do get to keep my house in the event of a push, so...

Tough pick here... Strength vs. Strength with our O vs. their D... and the opposite with our D vs. their O.

That said... the early money was on us... reason the line increased from the opening 6.5.

I like our chances to beat the spread.

I like the Browns in this matchup.. Their O-line sucks donkey balls..... Their secondary is nothing to write home about either... With our weapons and our ability to be versatile offensively... I like our chances...

5 Bold predictions for Cleveland Browns in Week 3 vs. Washington

Prediction summary...

5. Garrett has multiple sacks

4. Mayfield is sacked zero times back to back weeks

3. Chubb and Hunt each get 18 touches

2. Beckham and Hooper find the endzone

1. Browns have a winning record for first time since 2014

I do agree with his #1... the only one that really matters.

GO BROWNS!

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Prediction summary...

5. Garrett has multiple sacks

4. Mayfield is sacked zero times back to back weeks

3. Chubb and Hunt each get 18 touches

2. Beckham and Hooper find the endzone

1. Browns have a winning record for first time since 2014

I do agree with his #1... the only one that really matters.

GO BROWNS!

Is that Woody Allen on your Avatar?.. That looks hilarious as hell!

12 hours ago, nickers said:

Is that Woody Allen on your Avatar?.. That looks hilarious as hell!

He's the original Ghoulardi... Ernie Anderson. You may not know him, but if you are old enough to remember The Love Boat, then you know his voice as he was its announcer. As in "Tonite on The Love Boat...". He also did general announcing for ABC for years.

The announcing was at least Ernie's 3rd career. His first was as "the straight man" in a comedy act with Tim Conway that was born in Cleveland. When that fizzled he returned to Cleveland (Tim went on to McHale's Navy) and Ghoulardi was born. He was a must-watch on Friday nites for years. Funny as hell. Made fun of Dorothy Fuldheim... blew up models with firecrackers... superimposed himself into movies. I can still remember him doing so in Dr. Cyclops.

Ernie was also very active in the community including regular, warm-weather, fund-raising softball games. Other team members include Hoolihan the Weatherman and "Big Chuck" Sidowski, who was part of the show's technical crew. Chuck developed some groundbreaking FX for the day including a wavy, morphing border around Ghoulardi. When Ernie left Hoolihan and Big Chuck was the first replacement show which eventually gave way to Big Chuck and Little John.

Ernie/ Ghoulardi is the subject of a decent little book, Cleveland's Wildest Ride.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e52cXCrmauc

1 hour ago, Tour2ma said:

He's the original Ghoulardi... Ernie Anderson. You may not know him, but if you are old enough to remember The Love Boat, then you know his voice as he was its announcer. As in "Tonite on The Love Boat...". He also did general announcing for ABC for years.

The announcing was at least Ernie's 3rd career. His first was as "the straight man" in a comedy act with Tim Conway that was born in Cleveland. When that fizzled he returned to Cleveland (Tim went on to McHale's Navy) and Ghoulardi was born. He was a must-watch on Friday nites for years. Funny as hell. Made fun of Dorothy Fuldheim... blew up models with firecrackers... superimposed himself into movies. I can still remember him doing so in Dr. Cyclops.

Ernie was also very active in the community including regular, warm-weather, fund-raising softball games. Other team members include Hoolihan the Weatherman and "Big Chuck" Sidowski, who was part of the show's technical crew. Chuck developed some groundbreaking FX for the day including a wavy, morphing border around Ghoulardi. When Ernie left Hoolihan and Big Chuck was the first replacement show which eventually gave way to Big Chuck and Little John.

Ernie/ Ghoulardi is the subject of a decent little book, Cleveland's Wildest Ride.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e52cXCrmauc

Yes I watched Ghoulardi when I was a kid... Ernie Anderson was the voice of ABC for over 30 years I believe...

On 9/23/2020 at 2:42 AM, Icecube said:

If you had to wager your mortgage on it, who do you take? 

Thanks for making this thread! I was actually just wanting to discuss this game. 

Not trying to brag, but I've been pretty spot on with the first two games. It honestly has nothing to do with me because either game wasn't difficult to kind of predict, but this game has a different feel. I could see us literally blowing them out, and I could see their DL causing us massive problems and limiting our ability to pass and run. I could also envision a scenario where Baker fumbles or is pressured into picks. Their DL is literally that amazing. 

My first inclination is to say we win ugly, like 19-16 or something like that. I don't think we're going to simply rely on the run, as there is game film on our attack and Washington will likely be able to figure out some ways to stop us. At least at first. If we can get a small lead and take it into the 2nd half, we can tire them out and pound them to death. But make no mistake about it, I don't see us being able to line up heavy and consistently stuff it down their throat. 

We are likely getting back some HUGE additions from injury. Kevin Johnson is probably going to have the biggest impact, as he is an infinite upgrade over Tavier Thomas. Yes, we get Conklin back which is also huge, but as you go back and watch that Bengals game it was so obvious they were literally targeting him over and over again, especially on 3rd and 4th down. Additionally, we're probably getting back Mack and Greedy, which can't be understated. I'm not a giant Mack Wilson fan, but he's probably an upgrade and he's definitely a speed upgrade. Our middle defense looks SLOW to me, and Mack can definitely mitigate that. As far as Greedy is concerned, he might not get his job back. Mitchell is playing quite well and it's a luxury having him on our team. 

Offensively, Washington doesn't have much. This will be a game that will really tell us how our defense rates as a whole. We're as healthy as we're going to be all year, Washington is extremely limited on offense, and we really should win if we can take care of the ball and win the turnover battle. If we can't stop Washington's offense, we're in trouble guys, and that's not something we want to consider. We couldn't stop the MVP, that's one thing, but then we couldn't get off the field against a rookie. Cincy was 5-5 on 4th down and that's unacceptable. 

I wouldn't be surprised if the game starts off as a punt-fest while we get our footing. We should be able to trust our defense this weekend and put enough points on the board to bring home a W. I would not bet with that spread though...I just see this game being an ugly win. At least I hope! 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, jiggins7919 said:

Offensively, Washington doesn't have much.

Good analysis... you are on a roll.

Agree on the slow start to the game, but as long as Stef stays patient with our run-game, then I think we wear down the vaunted WSH D. Will need it also to cool the heels of Messrs. Young, Kerrigan, etc...

Conversely their run game scares no one. Under 100 ypg... only 3.3 YPC... only one 20+ run and it was 20 on the nose. It ain't on their RBs, as they have a pretty good stable of them (the rookie Gibson, former Lion McKissic, plus one-time TB stud Barber)... again it's their OL

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, jiggins7919 said:

Thanks for making this thread! I was actually just wanting to discuss this game. 

Not trying to brag, but I've been pretty spot on with the first two games. It honestly has nothing to do with me because either game wasn't difficult to kind of predict, but this game has a different feel. I could see us literally blowing them out, and I could see their DL causing us massive problems and limiting our ability to pass and run. I could also envision a scenario where Baker fumbles or is pressured into picks. Their DL is literally that amazing. 

My first inclination is to say we win ugly, like 19-16 or something like that. I don't think we're going to simply rely on the run, as there is game film on our attack and Washington will likely be able to figure out some ways to stop us. At least at first. If we can get a small lead and take it into the 2nd half, we can tire them out and pound them to death. But make no mistake about it, I don't see us being able to line up heavy and consistently stuff it down their throat. 

We are likely getting back some HUGE additions from injury. Kevin Johnson is probably going to have the biggest impact, as he is an infinite upgrade over Tavier Thomas. Yes, we get Conklin back which is also huge, but as you go back and watch that Bengals game it was so obvious they were literally targeting him over and over again, especially on 3rd and 4th down. Additionally, we're probably getting back Mack and Greedy, which can't be understated. I'm not a giant Mack Wilson fan, but he's probably an upgrade and he's definitely a speed upgrade. Our middle defense looks SLOW to me, and Mack can definitely mitigate that. As far as Greedy is concerned, he might not get his job back. Mitchell is playing quite well and it's a luxury having him on our team. 

Offensively, Washington doesn't have much. This will be a game that will really tell us how our defense rates as a whole. We're as healthy as we're going to be all year, Washington is extremely limited on offense, and we really should win if we can take care of the ball and win the turnover battle. If we can't stop Washington's offense, we're in trouble guys, and that's not something we want to consider. We couldn't stop the MVP, that's one thing, but then we couldn't get off the field against a rookie. Cincy was 5-5 on 4th down and that's unacceptable. 

I wouldn't be surprised if the game starts off as a punt-fest while we get our footing. We should be able to trust our defense this weekend and put enough points on the board to bring home a W. I would not bet with that spread though...I just see this game being an ugly win. At least I hope! 

The true mismatch in this Game is our Dline vs their weak and injured Oline.  It is the reason this is -7 point spread IMO.  

I respect their Def. front on 3rd And long but I still have questions if they can handle our two headed monster backfield and our Callahan coached line on run downs. 

Good analysis... you are on a roll.

Agree on the slow start to the game, but as long as Stef stays patient with our run-game, then I think we wear down the vaunted WSH D. Will need it also to cool the heels of Messrs. Young, Kerrigan, etc...

Conversely their run game scares no one. Under 100 ypg... only 3.3 YPC... only one 20+ run and it was 20 on the nose. It ain't on their RBs, as they have a pretty good stable of them (the rookie Gibson, former Lion McKissic, plus one-time TB stud Barber)... again it's their OL

Well....that is great,  but it is highly possible that our pourous run defense can make them look like world beaters. 

• Like 1

Transcript of Stef's mid-week, media chat...

A lot of pablum, coach-speak, but a few interesting tidbits.

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2020/09/kevin-stefanski-discusses-washingtons-defensive-line-jedrick-wills-jr-in-video-conference-transcript.html

Yeah, I also have this as a must win game....because you have to beat the teams that you're supposed to beat.

Having said that, we are typically not good when we play a defense with a strong DLine.   This game scares me.

1 hour ago, Orion said:

Yeah, I also have this as a must win game....because you have to beat the teams that you're supposed to beat.

Having said that, we are typically not good when we play a defense with a strong DLine.   This game scares me.

It is particularly must win because I took the Browns in Survivor, and if they lose, I am aufed!. 

17 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

The true mismatch in this Game is our Dline vs their weak and injured Oline.  It is the reason this is -7 point spread IMO.  

And their best OL is now on the IR. I forget his name but I know they're missing him for at least 3 weeks. 

16 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Well....that is great,  but it is highly possible that our pourous run defense can make them look like world beaters. 

I'm more worried about the porous pass defense, specifically the short, middle area. BUT...we do get Kevin Johnson back and probably Mack Wilson. Those two additions should really help. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, jiggins7919 said:

And their best OL is now on the IR. I forget his name but I know they're missing him for at least 3 weeks. 

Scherff... bust OT turned all-world OG... went down with a sprained MCL last week.

• Like 1

Scherff... bust OT turned all-world OG... went down with a sprained MCL last week.

Yep, that's him! I'm glad it's not serious but also glad he's not playing us. You know what's funny? It seems like every time I see where we're playing a beat up and run down OL, and everybody is certain that we're going to dominate them...it doesn't happen. Take last week for example. I thought our DL certainly played WELL, but I didn't think they absolutely took over the game or anything. Garrett had the play of the year so far and really put us ahead after we botched that goal line set of downs, which apparently was somewhat the fault of our rookie OT, Wills. I didn't verify this with my own eyes but someone was saying he dropped the ball twice. 

Dwayne Haskins is not as mobile as Burrow, which is good for us, and they also don't run the ball particularly well either. This could be an awesome opportunity for our defense to force some of those....what are they called again? Oh yes, PUNTS. Also, we get Clayborne back and we already love Porter Gustin in spot duty. We SHOULD give this line fits and we SHOULD see some of those pesky punts. I also don't believe we're going to see Washington go for it on 4th downs very often, so if we do actually stop them on 3rd, it should be our ball. Haskins had pretty decent numbers last week, but I have a feeling he got a lot of his yards and completions in the 4th quarter in garbage time. 

Also, for you fantasy guys, I think our TEs score at least one TD, and possibly two. WHICH TE I don't know, and I'm not sure it's going to be Hooper that blows up. Why do I say that? Well, Hooper isn't always the guy going down the seam and I've seen us send Carlson and Bryant deep on multiple occasions. In fact, we missed both guys for long TDs last game because there was a little too much pressure and Baker couldn't let it go. One was the little 9 yard gain to Hunt where he caught it after Baker rolled out on the sideline. On that play, Mr. Carlson was wide open down the seam and Baker just couldn't get it there. Another one was actually the awful pick Baker threw. That was essentially a a ridiculous read by the DB and a lazy throw by Baker. That being said, Bryant WAS open earlier but again, Baker had to side step a giant defender. 

I really do believe this will be a game for our TEs. Washington actually has a solid cover linebacker, but he can't be everywhere, and we almost always play 2 TEs. We adore Bryant, and I see good things for him Sunday. 

You know what I REALLY want to see this week, besides a victory? Baker not throwing a single pick. We HAVE to start seeing him avoid those crucial mistakes and that pick he threw last week really influenced the game. He's a #1 pick. I don't want hame manager. I want a dominant force. He can be that Sunday...especially with our RBs and TEs.