THE BROWNS BOARD

In Need of Fixing

TexasAg1969

KO coverage to include depth of kick. Cincy showed we have a weakness in our coverage. Gave them some really good starting field positions. 

Can our Scottish Hammer KO as well to put it out of the endzone the way some of the old time punters could do?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

KO coverage to include depth of kick. Cincy showed we have a weakness in our coverage. Gave them some really good starting field positions. 

Can our Scottish Hammer KO as well to put it out of the endzone the way some of the old time punters could do?

True.  Plus I think the defense may be a work in progress all season.

0-5 on 4th downs against woeful Cincinnati isn't very good along with giving up 30+ points to a rookie quarterback in his second game in the NFL isn't very good.  What happens against better QBs like BAL or PIT for examples.

1 hour ago, mjp28 said:

True.  Plus I think the defense may be a work in progress all season.

0-5 on 4th downs against woeful Cincinnati isn't very good along with giving up 30+ points to a rookie quarterback in his second game in the NFL isn't very good.  What happens against better QBs like BAL or PIT for examples.

Hopefully getting some secondary players back will help. Even with Mack Wilson back I don't see our LB  play being any good all season.

2 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

I asked the same in The Tavern. Given his rugby background I'd think the answer is "yes".

Turns out the short kickoffs may have been by design. If you remember kickoffs suddenly started sailing deep into the endzone and shockingly, at least to me, it was Parkey sending them there.

Labbe alluded to this in his "Rewatch" column...

* I didn’t anticipate special teams being such a problem. I had concerns about the kicking game with Austin Seibert, but the unit was so improved last season under Mike Priefer, I thought they would be fine this year.

Last week, Devin Duvernay returned a kickoff to the Ravens' 37. Thursday night, Cincinnati opened the game with a return to their 39 and another to their 43. It’s probably time to stop getting cute and just kick the ball out of the back of the endzone.

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2020/09/jarvis-landry-is-intriguing-fit-in-kevin-stefanskis-offense-browns-rewatch-observations.html

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

I honestly don't remember a worse KO coverage, especially in the last few years since rules changed about the wedge. I mean, generally when a guy brings it out of the end zone they get obliterated on the 15 or 20. Can you guys remember a two game stretch where teams consistently ran it out to the 45? 

I'm not sure how to fix it, but it needs to be done NOW before somebody take it to the damn house. 

3 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

The lack of Preseason games and scrimmages hurt and hinder the development of KO and Punt Coverage.  If we get into October and this is an issue I think we can worry a little more.

Our SP coach knows what he’s doing too.

And the referees showed what even one or two preseason games would help going into the regular season to get the rust off.

12 hours ago, mjp28 said:

And the referees showed what even one or two preseason games would help going into the regular season to get the rust off.

I kind of like the idea of keeping more flags in their pockets.  There haven’t been a lot of line of scrimmage penalties and fewer SP team holding calls.  Maybe that’s why we stink there? Past couple years anytime we had big play I was looking for flags because so many are called back. 

But the obvious stuff needs to be called. Ravens had their hands all over our WRs. OBJ had his jersey yanked of course too against the Bengals.  

4 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

But the obvious stuff needs to be called.

... and with replay it should be. Why NYC did not call CLE about that jersey tug on OBJ is beyond me.

Or did the replay rule not survive its 2019 audition?

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

... and with replay it should be. Why NYC did not call CLE about that jersey tug on OBJ is beyond me.

Or did the replay rule not survive its 2019 audition?

I didn’t hear that there was a change just bad Missed call on the field and in NY.

Browns could have challenged as well. 

23 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

I kind of like the idea of keeping more flags in their pockets.  There haven’t been a lot of line of scrimmage penalties and fewer SP team holding calls.  Maybe that’s why we stink there? Past couple years anytime we had big play I was looking for flags because so many are called back. 

But the obvious stuff needs to be called. Ravens had their hands all over our WRs. OBJ had his jersey yanked of course too against the Bengals.  

TRUE on the flags.  They tend to slow the games to a crawl at times.  I think the super slo mo reviews kind of brought that on.

Get it right is the important thing....what ever that is now.