THE BROWNS BOARD

The Offensive Line

TypicalBrowns50

Things are really looking good - the offensive line is fixed up, playing very well.

The Browns' oline "engine" is a fast car.

https://www.brownsnation.com/browns-offensive-line-once-again-earns-top-pff-grades/

The overall OL play is a huge pleasant surprise to me.  I was so extremely concerned that it would be our offenses' downfall.  They're playing pretty well and keeping the penalties down.  And the FB has been quite an addition for Stef's offense.  And he's caught a couple of passes so a defense cannot totally ignore the Janovich on a pass play.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Orion said:

The overall OL play is a huge pleasant surprise to me. 

Mild surprise here as I knew/believed Wills could do the job, albeit with a full, normal camp and Preseason.

And I think we all knew/believed Bito, Tretter and Conklin were going to be good.

That left RG, where Teller has been an unexpected blessing, and cohesive play, which again minus camp and Preseason, is well above at least my expectations.

I may need to dig up my old grading form... :)

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Mild surprise here as I knew/believed Wills could do the job, albeit with a full, normal camp and Preseason.

And I think we all knew/believed Bito, Tretter and Conklin were going to be good.

That left RG, where Teller has been an unexpected blessing, and cohesive play, which again minus camp and Preseason, is well above at least my expectations.

I may need to dig up my old grading form... :)

The impact of Bill Callahan cannot be overstated. Better players and for sure much better coaching.

• Upvote 4

7 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

The impact of Bill Callahan cannot be overstated. Better players and for sure much better coaching.

This is probably the big truth.  Much better than that bearded magician that didn't believe in calisthenics that we had a few years ago. 

2 hours ago, Orion said:

This is probably the big truth.  Much better than that bearded magician that didn't believe in calisthenics that we had a few years ago. 

Or our hugely overweight one that always reminded me of this guy, the skinnier version.🙄

4 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

Wide zone blocking scheme sideline to sideline 

And effective ZBS to boot...

It's not a difficult approach conceptually, but the coordination, the virtual "mind-reading", of the OL from OT to OT (or more with TE(S) involved) takes time together to perfect... or so I thought. And while we may not yet be perfect we are already scary good.

Hats off to Ag for pointing out Callahan's role in this group's development... but our OL is taking it onto the field.

• Upvote 1

@CodySuek

#Browns One reason for the OFF success thus far is the performance in the red zone: -
2019 Weeks 1-3 30% success rate
(30th) 30% run rate
(29th) 4 TDs, 1 INT -

2020 Weeks 1-3 59% success rate
(9th) 76% run rate
(highest) 9 TDs, 0 INT

Bill Callahan, No doubt has been a great addition! Bill's coaching gels well with Stefanski's. Both are coaching up their players to buying into a 'our' system... Get's good teams to above tweet ^^    

The Stefanski Factor 👍

Wills was an outstanding draft pick. ROOKIE at LT...

was severely tested at Washington - wasn't perfect, but did great:

https://www.brownsnation.com/jedrick-wills-how-he-performed-against-washington-in-week-3/

Jedrick Wills pancake on that Nick Chubb touchdown run. pic.twitter.com/tUkBXajf4Z

— Brent Sobleski (@brentsobleski) September 27, 2020

Pancake-ish at best...

Looks like it was Chase Young's backup, #52, Ryan Anderson, that ended up on the ground. At 255# that's just where he should end up across from a 300+# OT, but...

... if you check out the freeze frame (just left of Chubb's short-sleeve) you can see Anderson trips over another some poor WSH DL being manhandled by Conklin with what looks to be an assist by one of our TEs.

image.png.5140ce721653a3a7d077130451556e13.png

Not worried... Wills will get his share of pancakes... this just wasn't one of them. What it was was a great seal block at the ass end of a wide-ZBS right enabling the cutback.

Just now, TypicalBrowns50 said:

This!!!!!!

browns offensive line is the best unit on the team. Then the running backs. 

they demolished Dallas today. DEMOLISHED. Wyatt Teller is playing like and All Pro Guard

they need to lock Teller up before we cant afford him (I really liked that trade Dorsey made for him last year) a 4th and a 5th ?

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ATOM said:

they need to lock Teller up before we cant afford him (I really liked that trade Dorsey made for him last year) a 4th and a 5th ?

Problem is, you can't pay everyone.

You already have Myles under contract, and Baker, Chubb, Ward, Ogunjobi, et al will be coming due. 

He's been a godsend, but he's a 5th rounder that has been developed into a very good OG. But OGs can be found. When you have a team with so many young, talented players, you have to spend wisely. With Callahan, the Browns might just draft a few more interior OLineman in the mid/late rounds to develop and replace Teller in a few years. I hate to lose him, but you can't pay everyone. (That being said, I won't pretend to think I'm an expert regarding the cap)

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

Problem is, you can't pay everyone.

You already have Myles under contract, and Baker, Chubb, Ward, Ogunjobi, et al will be coming due. 

He's been a godsend, but he's a 5th rounder that has been developed into a very good OG. But OGs can be found. When you have a team with so many young, talented players, you have to spend wisely. With Callahan, the Browns might just draft a few more interior OLineman in the mid/late rounds to develop and replace Teller in a few years. I hate to lose him, but you can't pay everyone. (That being said, I won't pretend to think I'm an expert regarding the cap)

my self either I will leave that up to someone else,but that being said I hope and believe that we are through with the f.a market and hope we can build for the future through the draft

6 hours ago, gumby73 said:

Watching the pregame for tonight's game and Rodney was confused as to why the Cowboys didn't have safety help on OBJ. 🤔

Jo
14m
  •  

Top 2 OL's meet in Cleveland next week... 🍿

I didn't know Johnson ended up having more carries and yards in the game! I'm happy for him, he definitely pulled out some great moves and broke tackles! 

Our OL is literally winning us games. Great group and great coaching. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Nero said:

I didn't know Johnson ended up having more carries and yards in the game! I'm happy for him, he definitely pulled out some great moves and broke tackles! 

Our OL is literally winning us games. Great group and great coaching. 

It's a lot of fun to watch an OL work hard when they know there are great backs behind them that will maximize yardage for their efforts. Johnson

was definitely "Huntlike" in his surprising ability to jump cut at full speed and wriggle forward for yards after contact.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, gumby73 said:

Top 2 OL's meet in Cleveland next week... 🍿

Yup...

Everyone is sleeping on Indy... they have been very, very quietly building for a couple years now since Ballard replaced Grigson...

... and under Reich it has come together.

4 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

It's a lot of fun to watch an OL work hard when they know there are great backs behind them that will maximize yardage for their efforts.

It's fun to play OL period... IIRC... :)

That said... winning helps a lot.

2 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

Credit to Coach Callahan for his work.  He's one of the best in the business and the early results are promising.

I liked the post-game interview where Stef actually describes their relationship more like a former head coach as his mentor whose office and advice are right next door to him in Berea. Takes ego right out of the picture.

• Upvote 2