THE BROWNS BOARD

The Offensive Line

TypicalBrowns50

Kudos to this unit. Baker could’ve sipped lemonade on a lawn chair while surveying the field last night. He had all day to throw.

wyatt teller is a steal. He was bulldozing bungles last night on run plays.

jedrick Wills has been awesome so far. 

guys on the radio were giving Chris Hubbard the game ball. He played very well. We have good depth on the line. 

when this unit is healthy next week with Conklin back I’ll be keeping an eye on the trenches. We may have a Top 5 O Line. Could really make a difference this year, especially paired with Chubb and Hunt.

RUN THE DAMN BALL

• Like 1
  • Upvote 7

I loved the offensive line play. I read where Baker, last week, held onto the ball longer than any other qb

in the NFL. 2.7 seconds, something like that. Not surprising, since it was their first outing with their new offense.

The second game, they ironed out the wrinkles, and rolled, and sure, the ratbirds have a highly talented defense without

injuries all over their secondary.

Chubb and Hunt - the oline was inspired and having fun like crazy. They were having fun playing the game, not thinking about their assignments first.

My guess? is, the previous offense exposed the oline's weaknesses, the oline is fixed, and this offense shows

the talents strengths instead.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Covered it Well ^^ Good post.. a dominate "I'm going to run this ball & you can't stop us" OL can win you games.. The pulling blocking schemes looked great.. even the pulling backsides got blocked..    Kudos Bill Callahan..  

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Unsympathetic said:

Bengals were missing both starting DT's Atkins and Daniels.. let's play another team's starters before declaring anything fixed.

Yes, good, but one game does not a trend make. They did not play like this last week.

Sign me up for the washington d-front in 10 days.. let's see what we learned from week 1...stay tuned

• Upvote 1

It looked good in the first game too. At least pass protection was always on point in front of Ravens' defense. 

Playing to our strengths should be a must: OBJ and Landry can be great, but Baker is not one of our strengths, so FIRST run the ball and THEN spread the ball to all receivers; tight ends included. 

• Upvote 1

Wyatt Tellar has been out of CONTROL balling out. You notice those right side runs? Good lord. He planted somebody like a cheap shrub and then told his mama about it. I can't believe the transformation. He was always super strong, but now he's USING it. It's crazy. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jiggins7919 said:

Wyatt Tellar has been out of CONTROL balling out. You notice those right side runs? Good lord. He planted somebody like a cheap shrub and then told his mama about it. I can't believe the transformation. He was always super strong, but now he's USING it. It's crazy. 

Lol never have heard that analogy before. Dude does look like a beast

Let's just wait and see how they stack up against a unit with five (5) first-round picks next week vs Washington -- at least it's "at home"

Chase Young (2020), DaRon Payne (2018), Jonathan Allen (2017), Montez Sweat (2019), Kerrigan (2011)

Washington had 8 sacks vs Philly in week 1.  Even given Eagles injuries, that's absurd.. That game also made me question Wentz's status as elite

• Upvote 1

PFF's takeaway #3 of 5...

Cleveland’s offensive line paved holes for Nick Chubb and Kareem Hunt, and the duo took full advantage

Cleveland’s offensive line, on the other hand, was pretty dang good on the night. The unit didn’t see a lot of true dropback scenarios, but it held its own in pass protection. In the run game, the group deserves as much credit as running backs Nick Chubb and Kareem Hunt are getting. 

Chubb and Hunt combined to produce an 84.5 rushing grade, nine carries resulting in a 10-plus yard gain and 0.21 EPA per rush play. While it’s easy to point to Chubb and Hunt and laud them for a stellar performance, we should be doing the same with Cleveland’s offensive linemen. The unit produced a 78.5 run-block grade, which would have been a top-10 mark in Week 1 and will likely be among the 10 best of Week 2.

Of those nine gains of 10 or more yards on the ground, Chubb or Hunt had at least 3 yards before contact on seven of them. For perspective, that’s two more than any offense in Week 1. While each sheds tackles and was a monster after contact, remember that most of the production is a result of the big men up front.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-five-takeaways-cleveland-browns-win-cincinnati-bengals-week-2-2020

21 hours ago, Unsympathetic said:

Let's just wait and see how they stack up against a unit with five (5) first-round picks next week vs Washington -- at least it's "at home"

Chase Young (2020), DaRon Payne (2018), Jonathan Allen (2017), Montez Sweat (2019), Kerrigan (2011)

Washington had 8 sacks vs Philly in week 1.  Even given Eagles injuries, that's absurd.. That game also made me question Wentz's status as elite

8 sacks?! Geez, that sounds nice. 

BTW, if Wyatt Tellar keeps playing like this he's going to get PAID. Yeah I know it's two games, but he's literally been amazing. Not good, amazing. He's also built like a prototypical guard and he's likely the strongest guy on the team. He said he really enjoys this scheme because it takes advantage of his mobility and he likes to be out in space run blocking. I hope he can keep it up because he's really making a difference. 

On 9/18/2020 at 9:51 AM, Unsympathetic said:

Bengals were missing both starting DT's Atkins and Daniels.. let's play another team's starters before declaring anything fixed.

Yes, good, but one game does not a trend make. They did not play like this last week.

True about Cincy; but we also played without our starting Right Tackle vrs Cincy.  Hubbard did a nice job filling in.  Our starting Center and our LT were also questionable prior to playing through their injuries in the short week. 

Believe it or not, the yards per carry in week one were pretty good against the Rats for both Chubb and Hunt.  Cleveland rushed for 138 yards, which doesn't suck.   Having said that, we didn't run particularly well inside of our OGs in Ratville.  In the passing game, the OL gave up 2 sacks; and one of those Baker held onto the ball way too long.   IMO, the thing stopping drives was the huge inconsistency in our passing game. 

When Cleveland beat Baltimore last year, they got ahead of Baltimore and they got away from their game plan.  Same thing that happened to Cleveland this year.

On 9/18/2020 at 9:51 AM, Unsympathetic said:

I would totally agree... By the same token.. Don't piss on everyone's cheerios and savor the win... And as I said.. one good game by OBJ does not define his career or his 2020 campaign...

34 minutes ago, jiggins7919 said:

seems like brilliant play design, and downright excellent blocking/execution. I love the jet fake - if the safety? cheats in to cover the run, he's toast if the ball is rifled to Nelson on the outside, and vice versa. Taking a big step toward Nelson on the outside, he has to try to come back inside - and meet up? with Chubb or Hunt?

Traded for Andy Janovich for just a 7th round pick? Wow.

and the offense is getting ready to roll - these guys were having fun - Janovich says they could have had far more yards running the ball.

He's a huge fan of Hunt and Chubb, and vice versa. They are having FUN....and they credit the offensive line. Great situation to have.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/browns-fb-andy-janovich-on-running-vs-the-bengals-e2-80-98we-could-e2-80-99ve-had-300-or-400-yards-if-we-wanted-e2-80-99/ar-BB19bEQf?ocid=uxbndlbing

Browns FB Andy Janovich on running vs. the Bengals: ‘We could’ve had 300 or 400 yards if we wanted’

THANKS for this article !

• Upvote 3

When the run game works for 3-5 yds... that's the OL.

When the run game works for chunks that's the OL + TEs + WRs... add a FB to the mix and you've got "Gold, Jerry... gold!"

2 hours ago, CLEVELANDwantsPLAYOFFS said:

Wills vs Young? Gonna be a good battle in the trenches next week.

I’m watching their game now.  Their Dline is Uber aggressive.  We are going to have our hands full in obvious pass downs BUT I think we are going to run well and we may even try to run at Chase 

Good job by the OL.   Man...I've been very concerned about that unit, with the injuries, new system, no preseason to get cohesive.  Great game against the bengals.  But, it was, the bengals....

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Orion said:

Good job by the OL.   Man...I've been very concerned about that unit, with the injuries, new system, no preseason to get cohesive.  Great game against the bengals.  But, it was, the bengals....

Very true, and they didn't have Geno Atkins who has historically killed us, but they still had some gorillas on that DL and we absolutely baptized them. 

You want the REAL test? That's coming Sunday against Washington. Just look at their DL, it's disgusting. It's gonna be a battle royale! I think they'll definitely make some big plays against us, but I'm hoping our returning defenders will help balance out the damage they cause. It really should be a good game. I think it'll be an ugly game and will most likely come down to the last 5 minutes. Wouldn't surprise me at all if the final score was 19-16, Browns. 

1 hour ago, jiggins7919 said:

Very true, and they didn't have Geno Atkins who has historically killed us, but they still had some gorillas on that DL and we absolutely baptized them. 

You want the REAL test? That's coming Sunday against Washington. Just look at their DL, it's disgusting. It's gonna be a battle royale! I think they'll definitely make some big plays against us, but I'm hoping our returning defenders will help balance out the damage they cause. It really should be a good game. I think it'll be an ugly game and will most likely come down to the last 5 minutes. Wouldn't surprise me at all if the final score was 19-16, Browns. 

We need Jack Conklin back.  I don’t see Chris Hubbard handling Montez Sweat on that side - bad matchup for Hubbard.  If I can have one guy back this week it’s Conklin.

I watched Washington’s game yesterday. Chase Young made a lot of plays in backside pursuit.  He’s such a fluid athlete.  He will spoil a handful of plays getting to the other sideline on the stretch play we run. I think You run at him.  

Very similar to what we need to do against Pittsburgh.  We need to stay 3rd and less than 5.  This is a better front when it’s 3rd and long and they have just one job to think about (get the QB).  I see a lot of opportunities to make plays against their aggressive nature Sweat and Young can get out of position. 

this is a game where we take 2,3,4 yards in the first half but stick with it in the second half and make a statement and pull away. 

36 minutes ago, SdBacker80 said:

We need Jack Conklin back.  I don’t see Chris Hubbard handling Montez Sweat on that side - bad matchup for Hubbard.  If I can have one guy back this week it’s Conklin.

I watched Washington’s game yesterday. Chase Young made a lot of plays in backside pursuit.  He’s such a fluid athlete.  He will spoil a handful of plays getting to the other sideline on the stretch play we run. I think You run at him.  

Very similar to what we need to do against Pittsburgh.  We need to stay 3rd and less than 5.  This is a better front when it’s 3rd and long and they have just one job to think about (get the QB).  I see a lot of opportunities to make plays against their aggressive nature Sweat and Young can get out of position. 

this is a game where we take 2,3,4 yards in the first half but stick with it in the second half and make a statement and pull away. 

I think we should just haul off and throw a bomb the first play, to get the safeties back on their heels, and get inside the heads of the defense.

Kosar loved to do that. If I remember correctly, the Bengals did it the last game.

Starting off running the ball to establish the run to set up play action - won't work I think vs washington. (they will always be the "Redskins" to me.)

then sometime after that, you start hammering them with the running game. Just my two cents.

11 minutes ago, calfoxwc said:

I think we should just haul off and throw a bomb the first play, to get the safeties back on their heels, and get inside the heads of the defense.

Kosar loved to do that. If I remember correctly, the Bengals did it the last game.

Starting off running the ball to establish the run to set up play action - won't work I think vs washington. (they will always be the "Redskins" to me.)

then sometime after that, you start hammering them with the running game. Just my two cents.

I was just focusing on our Oline vs their Dline.  They looked suspect in the back 7 as well.  One of their top cover corners was out.  He may be back this week but I like your idea and I remember Bernie doing that well.