THE BROWNS BOARD

How did the Defense get so bad?

The Gipper

1 minute ago, jiggins7919 said:

Yep, you absolutely nailed it. Left us with a big hole, but hopefully Mack can somewhat fill it. 

I don't think Mack is that good honestly...

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, nickers said:

I don't think Mack is that good honestly...

Yeah, me either really. But he honestly can't be worse than who's out right now. The combination of Mack and Kevin Johnson returning could actually make a difference. Johnson especially, as Tavier Thomas should NEVER be playing anything but special teams. He's literally that bad. I want to say he gave up a catch on 90% of his targets or something like that. Johnson will be a stratospheric upgrade, and Mack should help a little. 

• Upvote 2

On 9/18/2020 at 3:20 PM, The Gipper said:

What a pussy answer.  you want it to be that simple but it fucking just isn’t. Part of my belief is that this general manager ,who you like to suck the dick of , has dropped the ball in talent acquisition on that side of things so Lick his scrotum if you must while the rest of us try to come up with answers. 

Holy crap, are you channeling he who’s name is no longer in this forum 😂 

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, jcam222 said:

Holy crap, are you channeling he who’s name is no longer in this forum 😂 

Both screen names do begin with "G"....

Hmmmmmmmmmm... :unsure:

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Marvin the Martian said:

He starts for the Jaguars  He had 8 tackles last week with 1 TFL

And the Jags are a lot tougher than anyone thought this year:   Won last week when they were not expected to.   Lost in the last minute to the Tits....who could very well be Super Bowl contenders.   They are not to be overlooked.  Thought they may Tank for Trevor...but, alas, no it seems.  Minshew has played lights out. 

On 9/18/2020 at 3:20 PM, The Gipper said:

What a pussy answer.  you want it to be that simple but it fucking just isn’t. Part of my belief is that this general manager ,who you like to suck the dick of , has dropped the ball in talent acquisition on that side of things so Lick his scrotum if you must while the rest of us try to come up with answers. 

Hmmmm. 

19 hours ago, CLEVELANDwantsPLAYOFFS said:

Mack was a 5th round pick rookie. Who knows what kind of jump he was about to make going into year 2.

It's definitely possible. I wouldn't expect it to happen, but you never know. Most 5th rounders don't end up starting in their second year, or at all really, so perhaps he's that rare diamond in the rough? The best things about Mack are his speed and his nose for the ball. When I went back through the Bengals game, one thing I noticed was our lack of speed in the middle of the field. Mack will certainly help with that. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, jiggins7919 said:

It's definitely possible. I wouldn't expect it to happen, but you never know. Most 5th rounders don't end up starting in their second year, or at all really, so perhaps he's that rare diamond in the rough? The best things about Mack are his speed and his nose for the ball. When I went back through the Bengals game, one thing I noticed was our lack of speed in the middle of the field. Mack will certainly help with that. 

He cannot be any worse than what we currently have

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Unsympathetic said:

Analysis of Hawks-Pats

Newton picked on.. Jamal Adams.  He would not be "the solution" - and it's probably good we didn't blow our cap to sign him.

Speaking of changes to our defense, I'm fully on the "Start Porter Gustin" train.

Didn’t blow our cap to sign him? The Browns have the most cap space in the league, and are projected to be no worse than 14th in space clear through 2024....

I think this is the most frustrating thing about this team for me. “Can’t sign Joe Schobert because he wants to much” so let him walk and replace him with NOBODY because we need that cap space.  It’s been the same story for years.

Never sign Free Agents because you gotta build through the draft! So sit on all that money and leave massive holes in the roster and keep taking your “behind the wood shed” beatings year after year.  Meanwhile you draft worse than Yahoo! Fantasy auto draft picker...

How about signing some middle of the road Vets to fill those Linebacker gaps with short term contracts so we don’t have to watch TakiTaki out there looking like someone’s little brother playing in a pickup game with the big kids. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, hx214 said:

let him walk and replace him with NOBODY because we need that cap space.

False. He was not replaced because we had greater needs in the draft and the FA market was not great. Add to the latter that we are still not that desirable a franchise.

As for your Cap projections.. source? Over-the-Cap shows a significantly growing cap margin thru 2024 (rising to $220mm), but that's because they do not project signings... they merely roll current contracts off the books as they expire.

If Baker plays the rest of the season as he did Thursday do you think he'll come cheap? Every team that inks a franchise QB faves cap pain. The one exception I can think of is NE... and that was only because TB12 took cap-friendly restructures of three different contracts (IIRC) so that other talent could be added or retained around him. You can't go crazy while your QB is on a rookie contract.

What about Chubb? Wills? Ward? Bito?

Every player has a value. Schobert simply exceeded his.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

False. He was not replaced because we had greater needs in the draft and the FA market was not great. Add to the latter that we are still not that desirable a franchise.

(Maybe because we don't pay properly?  Or because we are not seen as a team that will attempt to go and do the ultimate to put a winning team out there?  That we may be seen as too reliant on "Moneyball".....attempting to getting maximum production for the least possible cost)?  More likely actually because we have had such a series of loser owners/GMs/coaches run this shitshow for so long.?)

I would not disagree with that.  But, in letting him walk,  I would have liked to have seen them set a goal to replace him with as good or better. Not sure they tried there.   Bringing in Goodson?  Drafting the Beach Boys/Mamas and Papas kids? 

8 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

As for your Cap projections.. source? Over-the-Cap shows a significantly growing cap margin thru 2024 (rising to $220mm), but that's because they do not project signings... they merely roll current contracts off the books as they expire.

If Baker plays the rest of the season as he did Thursday do you think he'll come cheap? Every team that inks a franchise QB faves cap pain. The one exception I can think of is NE... and that was only because TB12 took cap-friendly restructures of three different contracts (IIRC) so that other talent could be added or retained around him. You can't go crazy while your QB is on a rookie contract.

What about Chubb? Wills? Ward? Bito?

Chubb presents a problem because he has a 4year deal.  He doesn’t have the extra year option that Ward and Baker have.

Chubb - maybe he takes D Henry type money 12.5M a year?  That deal should give us a little hope. If he wants to be the highest paid back I could see us Franchise tagging him.

Then you have Ward and Baker.If Baker pans out he becomes the highest priority.

Ward could be the odd guy out.

Bito is gonna walk after his deal he’s got two years after this year and he’ll be 31. 

If we draft well guys like Garrett, Baker, Chubb will be surrounded by cheaper good complementary talent at positions we need. 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, SdBacker80 said:

If we draft well guys like Garrett, Baker, Chubb will be surrounded by cheaper good complementary talent at positions we need. 

The key!

Only way to get talent on the cheap, but at only three-year bites (after Round 1), it's really hard to sustain that route.

While you get to keep your firsts for up to 5 years, they can only be termed "economical", not cheap... especially not in that 5th year. And the trend is definitely moving towards extending the really good ones before their rookie deals lapse to keep them and keep them happy.

Tags? Can be useful, but are not a happy-inducing route to building a team.

3 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

The key!

Only way to get talent on the cheap, but at only three-year bites (after Round 1), it's really hard to sustain that route.

While you get to keep your firsts for up to 5 years, they can only be termed "economical", not cheap... especially not in that 5th year. And the trend is definitely moving towards extending the really good ones before their rookie deals lapse to keep them and keep them happy.

Tags? Can be useful, but are not a happy-inducing route to building a team.

A tag for an elite back with an injury history that will already command high dollars -might be the best choice assuming he turns down Derrick Henry Money.

id give Chubb a 4yr 50M deal tomorrow

On 9/20/2020 at 8:55 PM, The Gipper said:

And the Jags are a lot tougher than anyone thought this year:   Won last week when they were not expected to.   Lost in the last minute to the Tits....who could very well be Super Bowl contenders.   They are not to be overlooked.  Thought they may Tank for Trevor...but, alas, no it seems.  Minshew has played lights out. 

And, as of now, it looks like the Pats are not tanking either. (Beat Fins, barely lost to Seattle). Jags dumped so many players, it didn't appear as they were even trying, but apparently they needed to cut/trade that many people to clean the team of malcontents. 

By the way, here is the list of worst defenses of all time, based on Points per game given up:

First Conf. Conf. Super YEAR Record PFPG PAPG Pct. Round Semis Finals Bowl

1 1966 New York Giants 1-12-1 18.8 35.8 0.107

2 1981 Baltimore Colts 2-14-0 16.2 33.3 0.125

3 2008 Detroit Lions 0-16-0 16.8 32.3 0.000

4 1972 New England Patriots 3-11-0 13.7 31.9 0.214

4 1973 Houston Oilers 1-13-0 14.2 31.9 0.071

6 1966 Atlanta Falcons 3-11-0 14.6 31.2 0.214

7 2009 Detroit Lions 2-14-0 16.4 30.9 0.125

7 2019 Miami Dolphins 5-11-0 19.1 30.9 0.313

7 1975 New York Jets 3-11-0 18.4 30.9 0.214

7 2011 Tampa Bay Buccaneers 4-12-0 17.9 30.9 0.250

11 2005 St. Louis Rams 6-10-0 22.7 30.8 0.375