THE BROWNS BOARD

How did the Defense get so bad?

The Gipper

8 minutes ago, Ibleedbrown said:

I lost count of how many 4th down stops we didn’t make last night. I don’t even need fingers to count how many 4th down stops we made.

bagels were 8 of 18 on 3rd..and 5 out of 5 on 4ths...glad to help...our back 7 is astoundingly bad..

• Thanks 1

Posted in tavern.. Mack Wilson/ Jacob Phillips/ Delpit/ Greedy/Kevin Johnson/ and sadly Billings opted out :(....  10 days off 🤞.. let's get some back (toss in Njoku) we need to consider looking into faster closing speed at the Safety position... Moffett had a good Camp.. get him up off PS or get to l👀king..

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

Injuries, departures of key secondary players.

...plus how many DCs in how many years?

It ain't rocket science... except to Gipper. :lol:

• Thanks 1

I think the lack of coaching continuity is catching up too. 

approach was a little disheartening last night.  Let’s sit back when the Bengals haven’t shown a willingness to go downfield so far this year.  And let’s not attack a rookie QB!!! 

Burrow when off had pressure when he time and could set his feet he was and is more accurate than most QBs. Nothing novel here just the same thing going on as it goes on with other QBs 

We finally have been able to stop the run so far after years of ineptitude against the run.

So  instead of not being able to stop the run we substitute not being able to stop

a Tight End ( Not that we did a good job of that before. We will need to put up 30

to stay in games.Plus if we are in a less than one score game late in the fourth we

are in trouble.

4 hours ago, Ibleedbrown said:

I lost count of how many 4th down stops we didn’t make last night. I don’t even need fingers to count how many 4th down stops we made.

I remember when it was 5/5 keeping Cinci in the game.  Even a few stops and they could have put the Hunt/Chubb running game back on the field to run the clock out and maybe scored even more.

Every sports announcer I've seen so far that the BROWNS have the best 1-2 punch for a running game in the NFL.

The both might keep either from winning the running back in yardage.  -But- winning games, controlling the clock, keeping the defense off the field are all more important !

GO BROWNS... just win games, baby !

2 minutes ago, nickers said:

Does anyone remember Joe Schobert?... The D captain?... Losing him hurt a lot like I knew it would.

Yeah you wonder why that decision was made.  I was thinking maybe he had some underlying injury that the FO would know about. Maybe budgets which run a lot of things in today's world.

D captain to off the team ?

4 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

...plus how many DCs in how many years?

It ain't rocket science... except to Gipper. :lol:

What a pussy answer.  you want it to be that simple but it fucking just isn’t. Part of my belief is that this general manager ,who you like to suck the dick of , has dropped the ball in talent acquisition on that side of things so Lick his scrotum if you must while the rest of us try to come up with answers. 

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

What a pussy answer.  you want it to be that simple but it fucking just isn’t. Part of my belief is that this general manager ,who you like to suck the dick of , has dropped the ball in talent acquisition on that side of things so Lick his scrotum if you must while the rest of us try to come up with answers. 

ron burgundy.jpeg

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, The Gipper said:

39 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Gipper is so cute when he goes potty mouth...

... OBJ would like it tho... allegedly...

grumpy old men - The NewsFlasher

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Unsympathetic said:

Just so we're clear for the history of this forum, I'm reading this thread as an acknowledgement that "offensive playmakers" don't solve every issue on both sides of the ball.

lol.... not all agreed with Ghoulie IIRC... :)

Just for reference, here's how the Browns defenses fared in the four seasons with Joe Schobert: 

2016: Allowed 28.3 points per game (16th out of 16 AFC teams)

2017: Allowed 25.6 points per game (15th/16)

2018: Allowed 24.5 points per game (11th/16)

2019: Allowed 24.6 points per game (12th/16)

As I said before, when was this defense good? 

• Upvote 1

I don't know how this is shocking. Other than All-World Ward, nobody in the back 7 can cover at all.

Maybe Kevin Johnson or Greedy will help, but unless and until they get full speed, this season is going to be a lot of 35-30, 42-38, and Parkey shanking game winners. Phillips and Wilson aren't improving the pass D any.. watching Burrow pick this team apart means it's going to be a long season.  They need to upgrade the pass D both at safety and LB after this season.

8 hours ago, Unsympathetic said:

I don't know how this is shocking. Other than All-World Ward, nobody in the back 7 can cover at all.

Maybe Kevin Johnson or Greedy will help, but unless and until they get full speed, this season is going to be a lot of 35-30, 42-38, and Parkey shanking game winners. Phillips and Wilson aren't improving the pass D any.. watching Burrow pick this team apart means it's going to be a long season.  They need to upgrade the pass D both at safety and LB after this season.

And I don't think this offense (read: Baker Mayfield) is dynamic enough to consistently put up 25-30 points a game to overcome this defense. 

And Greedy needs to get on the field - before he's officially considered an injury-prone player who cannot be depended upon. I believe he's missed over a 1/3 of the NFL games he's been eligible to play in.