THE BROWNS BOARD

Seibert waived, Parkey elevated to 53 man roster

jrb12711

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29885830/browns-boot-kicker-austin-seibert-cody-parkey-source-says

I can't express how excited I am to drop our kicker for a dude who almost got killed by Bears fans for missing kicks!

Is what it is. Seibert just looked awful yesterday, that's how it goes. Both attempts were plain lousy, but I figured he'd get a few more weeks anyway.

1 hour ago, jrb12711 said:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29885830/browns-boot-kicker-austin-seibert-cody-parkey-source-says

I can't express how excited I am to drop our kicker for a dude who almost got killed by Bears fans for missing kicks!

Is what it is. Seibert just looked awful yesterday, that's how it goes. Both attempts were plain lousy, but I figured he'd get a few more weeks anyway.

If memory serves me right Parkey is also the guy that missed 2 or 3 placekicks for us against Miami in a game we lost in OT a few years ago.  Having said that, he's put some really good seasons on the resume too in BC (Before Chicago).  Then again, I said the same thing about Billy Cundiff having the good seasons too before that went Coyote Ugly on me.

• Thanks 1

Aweful move. Baker misses 20 passes and he is the starter, this guy misses 2 kicks on the first game after a good rookie season and he gets waived? 

I would have given him at least 1 more game. 

Looks like a scapegoat to me. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Flugel said:

If memory serves me right Parkey is also the guy that missed 2 or 3 placekicks for us against Miami in a game we lost in OT a few years ago.  Having said that, he's put some really good seasons on the resume too in BC (Before Chicago).  Then again, I said the same thing about Billy Cundiff having the good seasons too before that went Coyote Ugly on me.

oh trust me, you're exactly right on him missing those kicks. I was baking in the September Florida sun not sober at all and watched Parkey wang those kicks live.

You know, if our practice squad dude was a young blood, or even consistent season vet I'm fine with the move. But knowing Parkey was the one waiting in the wings? Man.

• Upvote 1

A little surprising.  But he didn't impress me last season either.  He had no clue of how to kick in the late fall / early winter conditions of a northern city.

And Nero, I don't think he was a scapegoat.  As I recall, just a week or so ago they brought in 4 kickers.  Gotta be a reason for that.

9 minutes ago, Orion said:

A little surprising.  But he didn't impress me last season either.  He had no clue of how to kick in the late fall / early winter conditions of a northern city.

And Nero, I don't think he was a scapegoat.  As I recall, just a week or so ago they brought in 4 kickers.  Gotta be a reason for that.

Quote me next time, so I can get offended and insult you. Please. 

Idk, he played in OU in college, so I would expect him not to excel in the Erie Lake Winter from the get go. We have had awful kickers since Dawson and he showed some consistency. 

I didn't know they brought 4 kickers for the camp but coming into the season I would have never said that Seibert was one of the multiple problems we had to address. I got more angry at the dude who didn't even give half a block in the fake punt, sincerely. 

• Thanks 1

The return of the prodigal Parkey? :wacko:

On 9/14/2020 at 2:39 PM, Flugel said:

If memory serves me right Parkey is also the guy that missed 2 or 3 placekicks for us against Miami in a game we lost in OT a few years ago. 

You must be getting old... he did not miss... he hit an upright square on... twice. ;)

That was the year hoorta and I accompanied the Z-man and his merry band of Naples Browns fans across the peninsula to Hard Rock Stadium.

I swear I can still hear the deep ringing of those impacts...

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

What a waste of pick, never and I mean never should you draft a kicker in the NFL. Dude sucked on and off the field with great takes on Covid-19 like, “So-called ‘disease’ that doesn’t really do anything.”at time a quarter million people worldwide had already dead and was climbing rapidly. Happy this fucken moron is the fuck away from the team.

28 minutes ago, Nero said:

I didn't know they brought 4 kickers for the camp

It was the timing that tells the story.  They brought these guys in just days before roster cuts.  They'd been watching Seibert since the beginning of camp.  And then after cuts they signed a kicker to the PS.  Ya don't see a lot of that....but perhaps it's a good idea.  Stash a K there in case yours gets the yips.  

He was a 5th round pick.  Must have had good college numbers.  But he was somebody else's view of a 5th round pick.  Berry could argue, "I would never have used a 5th round pick on him".  (in theory)

To me, everything pointed to a short leash.  I wasn't surprised.  Does it suck that we don't have 'our kicker' by now?  Sure.  (some are no longer sure that we have our QB)

I, along with a great many, soured badly on Parkey after he lost us that game against Miami (as Flugel points out).  He missed several kicks over his time with us.  I didn't crush them for spending the 5th rounder because I too wanted a 'good' kicker.  Now, as I said, I've soured on Siebert, so as my punishment I get Parkey back.

3 minutes ago, Orion said:

It was the timing that tells the story.  They brought these guys in just days before roster cuts.  They'd been watching Seibert since the beginning of camp.  And then after cuts they signed a kicker to the PS.  Ya don't see a lot of that....but perhaps it's a good idea.  Stash a K there in case yours gets the yips.  

He was a 5th round pick.  Must have had good college numbers.  But he was somebody else's view of a 5th round pick.  Berry could argue, "I would never have used a 5th round pick on him".  (in theory)

To me, everything pointed to a short leash.  I wasn't surprised.  Does it suck that we don't have 'our kicker' by now?  Sure.  (some are no longer sure that we have our QB)

I, along with a great many, soured badly on Parkey after he lost us that game against Miami (as Flugel points out).  He missed several kicks over his time with us.  I didn't crush them for spending the 5th rounder because I too wanted a 'good' kicker.  Now, as I said, I've soured on Siebert, so as my punishment I get Parkey back.

That's way we are a part of the factory sadness. But hiding a known kicker on the PS was a great idea. Was going to be hard to have open tryouts like in past due to covid, when our kicker inevitable gets the yips.

1 hour ago, Tour2ma said:

The return of the prodigal Parkey? :wacko:

You must be getting old... he did not miss... he hit an upright square on... twice. ;)

That was the year horta and I accompanied the Z-man and his merry band of Naples Browns fans across the peninsula to Hard Rock Stadium.

I swear I can still hear the deep ringing of those impacts...

When he double doinked, I’ll never forget a browns fan up about 20 rows just yelling “you suck jackass!” and myself and the people around us just laughing our asses off, that dude included. At that point I was so sunburned I was almost rooting for the dolphins to end our misery.

My 500 page binder of Dumb Moves by the Browns is almost full.  I can see the meeting...you got beat by 32...well the kicker missed 4 points..well theres your problem..fires..we good?  Meeting adjourned.

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Nero said:

Aweful move. Baker misses 20 passes and he is the starter, this guy misses 2 kicks on the first game after a good rookie season and he gets waived? 

Dorsey pick. I think Berry would like to get rid of as many as he can 

any Phil Dawson fans? he's moved his family from Texas to Tennessee. Joining Trent Dilfer's HS coaching staff.. Now coaching one of his sons   

https://www.tennessean.com/story/sports/high-school/2020/08/05/lipscomb-academy-football-nfl-kicker-phil-dawson-joins-staff/3189795001/

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Nero said:

Bengals should fire their kicker too, missed a last second one that would have sent the game into OT.... 

5 hours ago, Orion said:

Siebert didn't have just "good" college numbers- he had "great" college numbers. Won the Groza award as the best college kicker..... Gone the way of another College kicking phenom Martin Grammatica, who was drafted even higher.....

The more I think of it, the less I like it.

If it is because it's a "Dorsey pick", I would show Berry (and Stefanski, if he is involved) the circus of names we have had as GMs ans HCs so they stop trying to mark their territory and think about their own positions. 

If you make a change, you do it for the better. You have a good consistent kicker who missed the incredible amount of 2 kicks in his first game of his second season in a 32 point loss, and you bring back Parkey who 2 years ago missed a game winner for Chicago in the infamous double doink. Parkey was in PS for a reason, wanna know the reason? He was considered not good enough for the 53 man roster of all 32 TEAMS. 

The amount of duds the Browns have gone through in different positions should let you know that we are not the fucking 6 SB Patriots, so you shouldn't get ahead of yourself when you're more than one kicker away of having a good team. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, hoorta said:

Bengals should fire their kicker too, missed a last second one that would have sent the game into OT.... 

Siebert didn't have just "good" college numbers- he had "great" college numbers. Won the Groza award as the best college kicker..... Gone the way of another College kicking phenom Martin Grammatica, who was drafted even higher.....

Do you know who else won the Lou Groza Award?  Zane Gonzalez in 2016.  The Browns cut him after 2 games in 2018, which means he only lasted 18 games (just 1 more than Seibert). 

2 hours ago, Flugel said:

Do you know who else won the Lou Groza Award?  Zane Gonzalez in 2016.  The Browns cut him after 2 games in 2018, which means he only lasted 18 games (just 1 more than Seibert). 

He had a wayyyy worse rookie season. And he missed like 5 fg in 2 games. 

1 minute ago, nickers said:

I wonder how good Phil Dawsons rookie season was...

8/12 with one missed XP. Not to mention he had a two below 80% FG pct years after that in random years.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/D/dawsophi01.htm

I think they gave up on both Gonzalez and Seibert too quickly. Kicking in the NFL is a completely different animal to kicking in college.

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, browns23 said:

Zane Gonzalez also went 31-35 last year with only one missed XP. https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/G/GonzZa00.htm

Kickers are about as fickle as relievers in baseball. 

Gostkowski had two missed FGs, another blocked and an extra point missed last night for the Titans. Pulled his bacon out of the fire with a chip shot FG to win the game at the end over Denver. He looked like he came from a funeral to attend a wedding all in one night. It was a nightmare since all 4 screwups were back to back to back to back.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Nero said:

He had a wayyyy worse rookie season. And he missed like 5 fg in 2 games. 

If you calm down for a second - I was comparing 2 guys with a lot of promise we cut prematurely IMO. The alternative is to coach em up so we get the Zane Gonzalez that makes 31 of his 35 FG attempts in 2019 rather than cut him after 18 games.

I was NOT excited Parkey is the solution. 

2 hours ago, Flugel said:

If you calm down for a second - I was comparing 2 guys with a lot of promise we cut prematurely IMO. The alternative is to coach em up so we get the Zane Gonzalez that makes 31 of his 35 FG attempts in 2019 rather than cut him after 18 games.

I was NOT excited Parkey is the solution. 

I thought Zane was promising on his first season, because as it went down he started kicking better and did well in winter IIRC. I'm not calming down, we're talking about one of the only 2 players who kick the ball in American FOOTball and I am a Spaniard :D

• Like 1