THE BROWNS BOARD

***Official Gameday Thread Browns at Ravens

tinythinker

Sweet baby Jesus, please let Baker Mayfield be good and end our suffering with the QB position. In Bernie Kosar's name we pray, amen. 

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, D Bone said:

Man, if you can't see that Baker is not passing the eye test, then we are watching 2 different players under center for the Browns. 

In the pocket I see your case, but man, did he make some nice throws on the move.

I think time makes him think too much.

They will get better after today as no pre season etc has not helped a team in transition. You dont really know what you have until gameday, the test is then.

The Ravens are already set and a very good team as it was. 

Baker flashes so much ability that it's hard to give up on him, I wouldn't, I expect he will do better in the coming weeks. 

• Upvote 1

well, we finished the game.

Here is some thoughts I thunked. lol

1. The Browns were thinking instead of just playing. New offense, excellent defense, you betcha that sucks. Wait til they play

the Browns in Cleveland.

2. I'm seeing indications that ODB doesn't have his head screwed on straight. He drops an easy important pass, ok. He grabs the facemask and holds onto it, drawing a terrible penalty on his team. That was worse than stupid. He runs his route, steps out of bounds, catches the ball, and argues with a coach on the sidelines about it. He gets open on a quick slant, and Baker didn't have time to get the ball to him, looks like to me, that he was pouting after that. I think the continual flagrant holding calls against the back that was covering him, got him out of his game and got into his head. The stupid deliberate facemask penalty just says a lot. He is all about himself, is a prima donna, and lacks mental toughness and/or discipline.

3. The Browns weren't ready for primetime, that's all. I wanted them to run the ball for a first down at the end of the first half. Nope. Ratbirds score at the end of the half.

4. I saw somewhere that the ratbirds have 3 of the top db's in the NFL. It looked like it.

5. I pity the Bengals. New offense, new defense, new excellent coaching staff - they had to see what they do well. Too bad it was against the stinking ratbirds.

6. The late hit on Baker was trash - he should have been ejected for that one. Just my opinion.

7. Wills made the Browns proud - he had one bad play I noticed, where the de cut to the inside and got away from him. Not bad for the first game. Chubb is amazing, he and Hunt are going to batter defenses all season.

Just chekin' in.

I saw OBJ kill a drive by dropping an easy pass.

I saw an illegal forward pass (the attempted lateral) early in the game by Jackson that wasn't called and wasn't challenged.

I saw mistakes by Hodge.  

I saw Baker miss some guys.

I saw Kendall Lamm playing LT.

I saw our D get Whopped.

I saw our kicker cost us 4 points.

I saw our crazy punter get tackled short of a first down in our own territory.

I saw pretty much what I feared.  Hopefully we can do better against Cincy.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, calfoxwc said:

ODB doesn't have his head screwed on straight. He drops an easy important pass, ok. He grabs the facemask and holds onto it, drawing a terrible penalty on his team. That was worse than stupid

yup.  That was quite dumb.  What'd we end up with a 3rd and 41?

37 minutes ago, Orion said:

Just chekin' in.

I saw OBJ kill a drive by dropping an easy pass.

I saw an illegal forward pass (the attempted lateral) early in the game by Jackson that wasn't called and wasn't challenged.

I saw mistakes by Hodge.  

I saw Baker miss some guys.

I saw Kendall Lamm playing LT.

I saw our D get Whopped.

I saw our kicker cost us 4 points.

I saw our crazy punter get tackled short of a first down in our own territory.

I saw pretty much what I feared.  Hopefully we can do better against Cincy.

What we saw was what we see with every coach. It ain't the coach, and it ain't Jimmy. What I believe it is isn't going to be popular with the natives.

3 minutes ago, Gorka said:

What we saw was what we see with every coach. It ain't the coach, and it ain't Jimmy. What I believe it is isn't going to be popular with the natives.

Baker isnt it...easy to see..

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Kvoethe said:

Baker isnt it...easy to see..

I agree Baker isn’t the future but man o man he’s not the only one.  I don’t know how with as bad as the Browns have been they haven’t been able to draft game changers.  They are a band of losers. Even talented guys like Myles seem to be ok with mediocrity.

Couple of random musings, no particular order.

-coach didn’t seem over his head today. Obviously made some calls I didn’t care for, but also called a game that should have had us within a score going into half time. Very obvious execution errors. I actually wasn’t against fake punt, again the first down was there but execution was terrible. Overall I never had a “WTF” moment, which I’m taking as a win. Discipline penalties were seemingly much more under control.

-hard not to see Baker making the same mistakes and looking the same in the pocket today. I’m going to take an educated guess our offensive line will grade top 5 against some tough dudes. #6 left the pocket early, had happy feet, and just made bad throw. Tough to see, candidly no progression in that area after one week.

-I get the Ravens offense is tough to stop, but our backer unit is just..tough to watch so far. Just looked completely lost. I really wish they would have at least attempted to address that more, but it’s gonna be tough sledding for that unit.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Icecube said:

The only thing Steff did well was wear his mask, which I actually find as a negative. I'd rather have a coach who ripped that thing off in passion instead of proving the perfect example of how he was told to wear it. Remember when Hoodie tried to comply with that Microsoft Touch tablet and it wasn't working so he smashed it on the bench? I'd prefer that kind of politically incorrectness that gets the job done, not look all politically correct but suck. 

That is perhaps the single most stupid post a I’ve ever seen on this board

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

The stupid deliberate facemask penalty just says a lot.

You must have seen something i didn't as i saw a stiff arm then as he went to pull his hand away his fingers were stuck in the face mask. He never made a fist around the face mask so don't know how you see it as deliberate. Other than that I agree obj pouts too much and has always been a headache and headcase. I'm not defending him at all but I dont think he deliberately committed a face mask penalty.

2 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

So bad by halftime I went out and mowed the yard in Texas heat. Far less painful than watching a second half of the same stuff.

I'm hoping the live up to my 6-10 prediction at this point.

I got you beat I went out in the smoked filled air had a smoke and watered my plants

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Icecube said:

It's like he never did anything to improve from last year; he looks like the exact same player - new coach, new OC, added better players....and none of it meant anything. I saw the same BM as last year, no difference. And for the love of God why can't ANY receivers get any separation? How can they not ever get open? 

So it's Baker...

No... It;s the receivers...

Baker...

Receivers...

4 hours ago, halfsane said:

We still need a QB.  Baker has this season to start showing it again.  Fingers crossed.

Yup.... It's decision year on Baker....

As others have said saw a lot of 2019 in his play today... hopefully game film of this and more games with the OL giving him decent protection will remove 2019 from his memory bank.

I'd really hate to have to go QB shopping again...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1