THE BROWNS BOARD

***Official Gameday Thread Browns at Ravens

tinythinker

Just now, MDDawg said:

This truncated offseason was going to hit us harder but loss of our linebackers and players in the secondary will kill this season. Having said that, I'm also watching the Panthers game, rookie College coach and mainly college staff but look like a professional football team.

no shit......there is no excuse for this team.....baker sucks man.....he ain't it.....of course our ol does not help either....another shitstain season on the way...

4 minutes ago, BaconHound said:

Can’t wait for the sunshine pumpin’ postgame interviews where these guys tell the fans to be patient, they’ll turn it around, it’s just one game, this team was prepared, they’re focused on winning, they are close, everyone is buying in.... what tired cliches did I miss?

We know we have work to do.

We learned a lot from this game.

I need to do a better job coaching.

Baker made some nice plays, just needs everyone else to be on the same page.

We can't turn the ball over and win against a good team like the Ravens.

• Upvote 1

Just now, halfsane said:

We still need a QB.  Baker has this season to start showing it again.  Fingers crossed.

Baker looked nothing like the 1st pick overall starting his 3rd season. He looked like an undrafted rookie. What did Big Ben, Russell Wilson, Lamar Jackson, Mahomes, etc. look like in their 2nd season, not to mention their 3rd?  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Icecube said:

Baker looked nothing like the 1st pick overall starting his 3rd season. He looked like an undrafted rookie. What did Big Ben, Russell Wilson, Lamar Jackson, Mahomes, etc. look like in their 2nd season, not to mention their 3rd?  

Absolute reality, and bang on. 

Just came to see if the board was on fire again. 

We knew our D with the injuries would be suspect against the Ravens' offense, so no surprise there... But the offense looked like last year (no PAP, few runs, OBJ constantly targeted...) and we didn't get drives going. It's the Ravens' D, yes, but we have to show something more. 

A play that baffles me is when they played a fake punt and 2 people didn't block a single defender, so the Scottish Hammer got hammered to the grass. Not a block, a simple push could have delayed the defender enough to give room for the few yards needed. 

And Seibert missing is something we DON'T need. We have enough with the D, a "new" suspect offense that even our kicker starts missing. 

I didn't expect a win by any means, but it was underwhelming. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, jrb12711 said:

The defense is a bunch of nobodies playing against arguably the 2nd best QB in the league. ObJ is an 18 million dollar player who had a gimme catch that he dropped that completely changes the outlook of this game. He deserves way more blame. 

OBJ is not working out. How some of you keep defending him is outrageous. I don't care about anything but production, and anything that hinders production is then an issue. I don't care what skank he has sh---g on him, what color his hair is, but for SOME reason, he is NOT working out in Da Land. I think it helps lead to the total team underperformance. 

Did anyone else notice that Baker never seems to stand up in the pocket, and move up when there is pressure? I saw Jackson do it several times, one for a TD. All Baker seems to do is run backwards or to the side and that causes him to be limited in who he can throw to; always ends up with a pop gun throw to someone covered. It's just bad. No better than last season. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Icecube said:

None of those players were drafted by the Cleveland Browns... please don’t forget the situation Baker was drafted into. This game was not on Baker. Baltimore is better and has more continuity. Fake punt down 7-0? 3rd and 2 drop? Can’t blame the QB for stuff that. Yea the INT sucked but our defense couldn’t stop Baltimore anyways. 

Surprised by the margin of the loss, but not the loss. Very tough opener...

Cinci and WSH? Well... I'm looking for 2-1 or despair will rise.

Only concern I had today was Stef's playcalling. He got away from Chubb totting the rock waaaaaaay too early and seemed to never snap to fact that Baker's two best, early throws were on the run out of the pocket. More Chubb... more PAP... and a few boots/rollouts were clearly called for and Stef was stone-deaf to them all.

• Upvote 2

I am going to wait until at least 4 games in to reserve judgement. I don't think anyone should have expected us to win this game. New coaching system, not only did we not get the extra practices one would normally get, but got far fewer and no game situations either. So winning this game was not probably against a good team where they already know the offense and defense.

My criticisms of what I did see was we should have run more, should have had a back in the backfield more to help pick pressures. Defensively, we didn't get alot of pressure and I thought the safety play left a lot to be desired. Lots of room for improvement, I would like us to be 2-2 after the first 4 games.

5 minutes ago, CLEVELANDwantsPLAYOFFS said:

None of those players were drafted by the Cleveland Browns... please don’t forget the situation Baker was drafted into. This game was not on Baker. Baltimore is better and has more continuity. Fake punt down 7-0? 3rd and 2 drop? Can’t blame the QB for stuff that. Yea the INT sucked but our defense couldn’t stop Baltimore anyways. 

Man, if you can't see that Baker is not passing the eye test, then we are watching 2 different players under center for the Browns. 

4 minutes ago, Icecube said:

Did anyone else notice that Baker never seems to stand up in the pocket, and move up when there is pressure? I saw Jackson do it several times, one for a TD. All Baker seems to do is run backwards or to the side and that causes him to be limited in who he can throw to; always ends up with a pop gun throw to someone covered. It's just bad. No better than last season. 

Yeah, I noticed it. I noticed him not being able to complete hardly anything and frequently missing his release valve. He looked very bad, no other way to say it. I certainly don't want him benched, but he's got 1 more half. If he lays an egg, I can promise we'll see Keenum. You have to be able to move the sticks. He was awful today. Remember, just because Keenum might come in, it doesn't mean Baker lost the job. Just means that we're looking for a spark. Can't go 0-2 and 0-2 in division. Stefanski will try everything. 

8 minutes ago, Icecube said:

OBJ is not working out. How some of you keep defending him is outrageous. I don't care about anything but production, and anything that hinders production is then an issue. I don't care what skank he has sh---g on him, what color his hair is, but for SOME reason, he is NOT working out in Da Land. I think it helps lead to the total team underperformance. 

It was overtly obvious Baker was told to force the ball to him 3rd quarter. It obviously didn’t work. His demeanor is one of someone who doesn’t give a shit.

and yes, for sure. The pocket was VERY clean today for 6. He bailed too early multiple times.

7 minutes ago, jiggins7919 said:

Yeah, I noticed it. I noticed him not being able to complete hardly anything and frequently missing his release valve. He looked very bad, no other way to say it. I certainly don't want him benched, but he's got 1 more half. If he lays an egg, I can promise we'll see Keenum. You have to be able to move the sticks. He was awful today. Remember, just because Keenum might come in, it doesn't mean Baker lost the job. Just means that we're looking for a spark. Can't go 0-2 and 0-2 in division. Stefanski will try everything. 

They are not benching Baker the 2nd game into the season. Also a lot of this probably had to do with going against probably the best secondary in the NFL and falling far behind. Bet the tone of the game is different if OBJ catches that ball on 3rd and 2 at the end of the half. If we were able to have a more balanced attack Baker's numbers would have been better. Lets also not forget the whole team is learning yet another system for the 2nd year in a row and does so with less practice then they would normally get. I wouldn't panic after 1 game against a team that 14-2 last year.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, CLEVELANDwantsPLAYOFFS said:

The week 1 in a new system eye test? Against Baltimore?
I won’t overreact. 

Way more than this game for me. He looked no different than he did for 16 games last year, and he is what he is. 

2 minutes ago, runyon27 said:

They are not benching Baker the 2nd game into the season. Also a lot of this probably had to do with going against probably the best secondary in the NFL and falling far behind. Bet the tone of the game is different if OBJ catches that ball on 3rd and 2 at the end of the half. If we were able to have a more balanced attack Baker's numbers would have been better. Lets also not forget the whole team is learning yet another system for the 2nd year in a row and does so with less practice then they would normally get. I wouldn't panic after 1 game against a team that 14-2 last year.

I didn't say bench for the year, but you can bet your ass he'll be on the pine if he's playing poorly again. Stefanski knows Keenum from Minnesota and likes him. I don't WANT this to happen. I think you're right, in that it was a monstrously difficult game playing in a new system. But Keenum knows the system and we can't go down 0-2 in division. I WANT Baker to be the guy, more than anything. I just know what I saw today. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, jrb12711 said:

It was overtly obvious Baker was told to force the ball to him 3rd quarter. It obviously didn’t work. His demeanor is one of someone who doesn’t give a shit.

and yes, for sure. The pocket was VERY clean today for 6. He bailed too early multiple times.

It's like he never did anything to improve from last year; he looks like the exact same player - new coach, new OC, added better players....and none of it meant anything. I saw the same BM as last year, no difference. And for the love of God why can't ANY receivers get any separation? How can they not ever get open? 

21 minutes ago, D Bone said:

Man, if you can't see that Baker is not passing the eye test, then we are watching 2 different players under center for the Browns. 

Maybe that's the solution and that way we have someone moving the rock consistently. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, nickers said:

Everyone just looked and played disinterested.... That falls on the HC... discouraging!

The only thing Steff did well was wear his mask, which I actually find as a negative. I'd rather have a coach who ripped that thing off in passion instead of proving the perfect example of how he was told to wear it. Remember when Hoodie tried to comply with that Microsoft Touch tablet and it wasn't working so he smashed it on the bench? I'd prefer that kind of politically incorrectness that gets the job done, not look all politically correct but suck. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Icecube said:

The only thing Steff did well was wear his mask, which I actually find as a negative. I'd rather have a coach who ripped that thing off in passion instead of proving the perfect example of how he was told to wear it. Remember when Hoodie tried to comply with that Microsoft Touch tablet and it wasn't working so he smashed it on the bench? I'd prefer that kind of politically incorrectness that gets the job done, not look all politically correct but suck. 

Moneytard got his soyboy HC.... What can I say...