THE BROWNS BOARD

Protest Thread

Zombo

You all probably know that I hate politics on a Football Board, but I think this year, this thread is a "Necessary Evil" for people to discuss, and vent, about player protests and the NFL's response to social issues.

Also, it is a convenient way to keep all of that talk in one thread. If any mods see politics/protest threads outside of this thread, merge it or delete it. 

And as always, if this is a big issue for you, you are encouraged to visit our Political Forum where you can discuss freely and openly any issues you want to.

This forum is about football. But if these issues change how you feel about football, let's hear it.

My particular question to BB members is ... Will any player protests, or NFL support thereof, compel you to no longer watch and follow the Browns and /or NFL? 

I'll go first ... No. I'm all in.

Super Bowl.

Zombo

• Thanks 3
  • Upvote 3

This is a subject worth discussing. Each and everyone of us have our own opinion on this and we may disagree on it. Me personally, I still serve our country and will always stand for the flag. However, I also do what I do to ensure an individual's freedom. 

• Thanks 3
  • Upvote 1

I'm 50/50 and am reserving the right to see how the NFL, but more importantly our trusted media, pushes the protests down my throat as week 1 quickly turns into week 4. I plan to not watch a second of any pre-game show and will turn on any game well after the scheduled kick off to limit my exposure. 

Luckily for me, I have the Tour De France, motocross and a bad ass pool that I can turn to if I need to protest their protest. 

I think every athlete thinking they are now Rosa parks is bad for the game. 

Athletes are irrelevant to political real world issues, but now believe they are just as involved as politicians which is laughable.

The NBA is way worse. What they are doing is asinine. I’m surprised they haven’t sacrificed a policeman at mid court before tip off at this point. They have really damaged their brand. Especially Lebum

• Upvote 5

No - I love Browns football.  They piss me off every year and it will not stop me from watching.  It’s a 3 month 3 hour obsession.  A time where I don’t give a rats @$$ about my job, my bills or my broken sprinkler.  I am thankful my wife enjoys football as much and my daughters will too- it’s family time too. 

I do not care how a particular player feels or expresses themselves even if I don’t agree but I also feel that When you are in the workplace you have a job to do. Play well between 10am-130pm.  Put  your feelings and beliefs away and DO YOUR JOB.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

Nope, I'm all in too.

I'm a 73 year old VietNam Vet & don't approve of public demonstrations (kneeling during the Anthem, etc), so I will refrain from watching until kickoff. That being said, I understand that others have as much right TO demonstrate as I have NOT to. Let's just keep all demonstrations non violent & not judge, make fun of, or belittle others for their viewpoints & beliefs.

GO BROWNS!!!

Mike

• Thanks 3
  • Upvote 6

I will be recording about ten minutes late on every game. If they are going to stink up sports with that stuff - ok, their choice, but I will always be a Browns fan. I will never go to a game again in person. My choice. It just seems to me, that offending other people because they have a concern - alienates a lot of people. That just doesn't make sense to me. Refusing to respect our Anthem, Flag and country... their choice. As I've said elsewhere - they lost my attention to their cause. I"ve always not wanted to miss kickoff. Now, I'll be fine missing the first quarter. Football has always been the bringer-together of fans. Bring politics into it - that isn't true anymore. Major mistake. Just my two cents.

3 hours ago, Zombo said:

You all probably know that I hate politics on a Football Board, but I think this year, this thread is a "Necessary Evil" for people to discuss, and vent, about player protests and the NFL's response to social issues.

Also, it is a convenient way to keep all of that talk in one thread. If any mods see politics/protest threads outside of this thread, merge it or delete it. 

And as always, if this is a big issue for you, you are encouraged to visit our Political Forum where you can discuss freely and openly any issues you want to.

This forum is about football. But if these issues change how you feel about football, let's hear it.

My particular question to BB members is ... Will any player protests, or NFL support thereof, compel you to no longer watch and follow the Browns and /or NFL? 

I'll go first ... No. I'm all in.

Super Bowl.

Zombo

I've always tried for many years now not to talk about religion and politics on any sports threads or discussions.  Nothing good ever comes from these often divisive and hate filled discussions, especially this year. (see how this could become an endless incendiary mess).

I'm glad this sports board has a poli section for such nonsense.

So I'll second in the above thought.

GO BROWNS, SUPER BOWL 55 ?  WHY NOT....... baby !

I'm not a fan of sports getting involved in politics, as sports is (supposed to be) an outlet to escape the real world. 

I'm always going to be a huge Browns fan, it won't deter me from watching. 

Something tells me the Browns are going to have a great season, and of course, I won't be in my seats to witness it😑

• Upvote 2

I don't have enough 'likes' to like every post on this thread...but I find things to agree with in every post.

No, I'll watch the games that I want to.

If the players want to stand on their heads or face mecca, and their employer allows them to, then go ahead.  

If they're trying to point out social injustice and the need to change.  Fine.  Songwriters have been doing that since forever.   

But if you burn a flag out there, whatever many of us they allow in the stands will be coming for you!  

4 minutes ago, Bob806 said:

I'm not a fan of sports getting involved in politics, as sports is (supposed to be) an outlet to escape the real world. 

I'm always going to be a huge Browns fan, it won't deter me from watching. 

Something tells me the Browns are going to have a great season, and of course, I won't be in my seats to witness it😑

I find it REAL easy to separate Politics and my favorite sports. Same goes for Actors and Musicians. Nothing phases me. It's just an opinion or a gesture. A song, a knee, a speech ... We are all free to express ourselves.

I was out with clients the other night and they were cancelling their NFL Package and Red Zone because of their feelings toward the NFL.

That's OK too. But I'm glad I'm not that way. I am ready for my 51st Season of Browns obsession.

Chomping at the bit, actually!

Z

• Upvote 2

38 minutes ago, Orion said:

But if you burn a flag out there, whatever many of us they allow in the stands will be coming for you!  

I'm not trying to inflame passions or make enemies but there is a real question here that I think is important to consider.

I understand the point of view of those who think it's un-patriotic and wrong to burn the U.S. flag. What strikes me as curious, is that these the same people who desecrate and co-opt the flag by coloring is black, white and blue. The don't like kneeling at football games when the flag is presented, but they are in favor of displaying the flag held flat on the football field which, you guessed it, is another violation of the U.S. Flag Code.

Is it that these "patriots"  think it's only proper for them to dishonor the flag for their own purposes? Are they simply ignorant that this treatment of the flag is dishonorable and unlawful? If you stand for the flag as a symbol of the United States (which I absolutely do) would you change your view of the those who co-opt the flag for their own purpose and dishonor the flag by displaying it flat at football games? Or would you just not care?

• Upvote 2

My biggest problem is having the stances shoved down my throat. The unity pledge at the beginning, the black national anthem, the countless commercials, and whatever else. It's overkill and it doesn't do anything to stop racism. Heck, I can argue it actually does the freaking opposite. I absolutely detest BLM. They cause nothing but trouble in my town, they harass people on the sidewalk, they shut down traffic, and then they get upset when they get run over by car because they "have the right to protest in the streets and stop the flow of traffic". 

I hate racism, in all forms. But I'm also beyond furious that my hometown had to put up with "protesters" after 3 cops were cleared of shooting a black man who just murdered someone, said he was going to kill some cops, and pulled a gun on the police as they tried to apprehend him. This piece of shit got shot and we have to put up with broken windows, curfews, and whatever else. Wtf does this have to do with racism? Nothing. 

I feel like the world has gone crazy. We celebrate the life of a man wanted for sexual assault, who had other violent arrests, who had a knife and fought with police, and people donated $2.2 million to him. Do I feel like he deserves to be shot 7 times? No, absolutely not, but what choice did he give the cops? 

I know I'm rambling, but I'm just tired of it all. 

• Upvote 7

I am also an obsessed Browns fan! I will watch them and the Indians ONLY! I to will not watch the pre game (opinions.)

I also do not support BLM just as I do not support the KKK. Peaceful protest all you want. Violence and destruction are no means to an end! GO BROWNS!!! 

• Upvote 3

11 hours ago, jiggins7919 said:

My biggest problem is having the stances shoved down my throat. The unity pledge at the beginning, the black national anthem, the countless commercials, and whatever else. It's overkill and it doesn't do anything to stop racism. Heck, I can argue it actually does the freaking opposite. I absolutely detest BLM. They cause nothing but trouble in my town, they harass people on the sidewalk, they shut down traffic, and then they get upset when they get run over by car because they "have the right to protest in the streets and stop the flow of traffic". 

I hate racism, in all forms. But I'm also beyond furious that my hometown had to put up with "protesters" after 3 cops were cleared of shooting a black man who just murdered someone, said he was going to kill some cops, and pulled a gun on the police as they tried to apprehend him. This piece of shit got shot and we have to put up with broken windows, curfews, and whatever else. Wtf does this have to do with racism? Nothing. 

I feel like the world has gone crazy. We celebrate the life of a man wanted for sexual assault, who had other violent arrests, who had a knife and fought with police, and people donated $2.2 million to him. Do I feel like he deserves to be shot 7 times? No, absolutely not, but what choice did he give the cops? 

I know I'm rambling, but I'm just tired of it all. 

You are really a lot of base here but I’m not going to ramble to try to correct you on some of the things you misrepresented

• Upvote 1

On 9/10/2020 at 11:38 AM, Canton Mike said:

Nope, I'm all in too.

I'm a 73 year old VietNam Vet & don't approve of public demonstrations (kneeling during the Anthem, etc), so I will refrain from watching until kickoff. That being said, I understand that others have as much right TO demonstrate as I have NOT to. Let's just keep all demonstrations non violent & not judge, make fun of, or belittle others for their viewpoints & beliefs.

GO BROWNS!!!

Mike

Right there with you Mike. This is what America is all about. Freedom. Doesn't mean you have to agree or disagree, but glad we all can still express it without be caged for years without trial like what happens in some countries. Or taken out by a stealthy poison like Putin does.

On ‎9‎/‎10‎/‎2020 at 7:24 PM, Zombo said:

I find it REAL easy to separate Politics and my favorite sports. Same goes for Actors and Musicians. Nothing phases me. It's just an opinion or a gesture. A song, a knee, a speech ... We are all free to express ourselves.

That's right actors, musicians, comedians, academia, political bias in the media...isn't that enough?

They gotta contaminate football with this lefty shit too?

I was out with clients the other night and they were cancelling their NFL Package and Red Zone because of their feelings toward the NFL.

GOOD to hear. Hope it continues.

That's OK too. But I'm glad I'm not that way. I am ready for my 51st Season of Browns obsession.

Chomping at the bit, actually!

Z

KC fans booed as the two teams were holding hands. They looked so precious standing there.

Poor JJ Watt  just couldn't understand it!!

“All we were doing,” he said, “is a message of unity.”

"Unity" towards what JJ?   By all means any of you social justice warriors please feel free to chime in.