THE BROWNS BOARD

I fear this will be the case

Westside Steve

If this regime gets the best out of Baker Mayfield and Myles Garrett is motivated to another level as Grossi claims....I like our chances.

And Landry is a team guy he wants to win and he plays hard whether he’s making a block throwing a pass or running a secondary route.  OBJ may need to get aboard with this spread the ball run first offense.  

And yes we will start slow and probably have a few more injuries but I think we will be in the same boat as other teams as well.

He makes a good point about our new left tackle -just assuming Jedrick Wills can man an outside post Day 1 is not realistic but many fans hold that expectation.  If he can hold up and we aren’t playing from behind and making him pass protect the entire second half of games - we will survive.

this is not a 6-10 team or a 6-10 schedule. 

• Upvote 1

a lot of teams, all teams? have injuries. It's the depth that saves your season. The Browns have accrued far better depth, and are not a team good players want to leave...anymore.

Baltiwhore doesn't have that long a list of em....Cleveland's list is a good bit longer....

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/injuries/

On 9/8/2020 at 10:37 AM, Westside Steve said:

Injuries are a factor but not as big as starting over with an entirely new system staff Etc. And absolutely no practice not real practice anyway. 

WSS

I gotta agree with the article as much as I don't want to... But I think its spot on...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

https://thelandondemand.com/news/2020/sep/07/why-i-think-browns-will-go-6-10/

I hope not and I hope the idiot Jimmy Haslam let's things ride for a while but a new system I knew staff no practice a shitload of injuries VS teams that have changed nothing...WSS

I'll admit, I'm one of those guys that thinks Grossi is far too negative. I suppose all the losing can do that to a Browns beat reporter.

We're all concerned about implementing yet another system. The positive I see is Stefanski has been around the NFL for a long time. The negative is what Grossi points out- lack of reps. 

The key to me is what Grossi wrote in the last sentence. Judge the Browns on the second half, look for growth. But it doesn't mean the 1st 8 games they can't grow either. 

The homer in me sees the schedule and thinks it's not as tough as last year. While not necessarily easy- the NFC East games are all winnable. 

I don't see 6-10. Stefanski has to be an upgrade, even with a shaky defense.

• Like 1

We have to weather the storm early. I don't expect a win against the Ravens, in fact, I expect us to get throttled, BUT we have to beat the Bengals and we have to beat the Redskins. We then have to trudge our way through the schedule and be 500 at the halfway point. If we can do that and keep the injuries to a minimum, we can finish 9-7 or so. I really believe that. 

But we have to keep it together early. There's a very real scenario where we start 0-2. Do I think we're better than the Bengals? Yeah, I do, but they're going to be pretty solid. The Ravens game? Yeah...you might not want to watch that one. Lol

• Upvote 1

We need to beat one of the following:

At Baltimore

At Dallas

Indianapolis 

Pittsburgh 

Of course handle our business at Home against Cincinnati and Washington.

3-3 with the team hopefully coming together at that point.

Tony claims this is an offense suited for Baker and Myles is motivated.  How many injuries is he anticipating?

Let’s rank the 10 injuries the Browns can’t afford.

1. Myles Garrett.  We saw what happened last year.

2. Bitonio.  Already thin at guard and he’s a pro bowl talent

3. Ward. When healthy and he’s on his game he locks down #1s we don’t have anyone on our roster that can do that.

4. Conklin. Good talent and Lamm and Hubbard are a steep drop off. 

5. OBJ. Big time field stretcher and decoy.  Skill set is unique to the offense 

6. Richardson/Ogunjobi. Thin and unproven behind this group.

7. Tretter. Rookie backup but all reports are depth is good but can’t lose the line caller.

8. N. Chubb. Elite talent but we have depth but you shuffle some guys out of place now.

9. Baker.  but we have an insurance policy.

10. Landry.  Leadership and clutch play

So there you have it. Of this list I’d say Ward has been out the most the past couple seasons. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, nickers said:

I gotta agree with the article as much as I don't want t... But I think its spot on...

Agreed.  I predict a huge struggle early on.  But I'm wrong sometimes. :)   Let's hope this is sometimes.

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

https://thelandondemand.com/news/2020/sep/07/why-i-think-browns-will-go-6-10/

I hope not and I hope the idiot Jimmy Haslam let's things ride for a while but a new system I knew staff no practice a shitload of injuries VS teams that have changed nothing...WSS

The article's fear that lack of a preseason sets our O back far enough to drag us down to 6-10 is realistic.

Your Jimmah fears, while not without a basis, are less so. ;)

I think it is an advantage to have a new coach/new system this year.

I don't know if it will be us, but someone is going to punch the NFL establishment in the mouth this year.

Strike years/ Short seasons always bring a fresh champion, and I think a year without preseason will do the same.

A young, innovative guy with under utilized talent is the right recipe.

Z

I'm not really optimistic about the Browns record this season, but I also understand that this is a very unique situation Stefanski and Co. find themselves in.

The Browns have shown to be a very difficult organization to be successful in, and they are trying to right the proverbial ship in a shitstorm of a year. 

I shudder at the idea of Freddie trying to do what Stefanski is doing. Yikes. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

The article's fear that lack of a preseason sets our O back far enough to drag us down to 6-10 is realistic.

Your Jimmah fears, while not without a basis, are less so. ;)

I don't think he will do anything drastic before the end of this season. I don't trust him for next.

WSS

11 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

I'm not really optimistic about the Browns record this season, but I also understand that this is a very unique situation Stefanski and Co. find themselves in.

The Browns have shown to be a very difficult organization to be successful in, and they are trying to right the proverbial ship in a shitstorm of a year. 

I shudder at the idea of Freddie trying to do what Stefanski is doing. Yikes. 

Of course we were pretty excited about Freddy for the team hit the field. Even though he wouldn't have been my choice I'm optimistic about stefanski. That's pretty much how I've been every season however.

WSS

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Orion said:

Agreed.  I predict a huge struggle early on.  But I'm wrong sometimes. :)   Let's hope this is sometimes.

I know. I remember last year thinking we had absolutely no chance of beating the Ravens week 4. We looked bad, they looked good, and we had some injuries. Well, we ended up putting together the best game of the effed up season and actually LEAD the AFC North for about a minute or two. 

Do I expect that to happen again? Uhhhhh, no. Not even close. Lol. But hey, I was wrong AF last year, so maybe it happens again! 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Zombo said:

I think it is an advantage to have a ... new system this year.

Except it's not new... IIRC Stef was OC in MN working for a Defense0minded HC.

12 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

Of course we were pretty excited about Freddy for the team hit the field.

You still got that mouse in your pocket?

Some of "we" wanted Greg and were apprehensive when Dorsey picked our QB Coach instead.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Except it's not new... IIRC Stef was OC in MN working for a Defense0minded HC.

You still got that mouse in your pocket?

Some of "we" wanted Greg and were apprehensive when Dorsey picked our QB Coach instead.

Yes Tour we. I think there were enough fans excited by the last half of the season. I was, even though I to Preferred to keep Dorsey and Greg Williams. There are going to be haters no matter who gets the head coaching job.  C'est la vie. That doesn't mean I wasn't optimistic and excited that maybe, just maybe the next season could go like the second half of the year. Things happened right? Frankly IIRC while my heart said Mayfield my head said Rosen. Oh well, I'm the eternal optimist.

WSS

3 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

And now ESPN has the Browns predicted last place in the AFC North.

Who thinks Jimmy will give the regime a second ear if that happens?

WSS

It would take a monumental cluster chicken of a season to restart yet again. You have to factor in that we're getting new coaches in a covid shortened season who want to install all new systems. Is that an excuse? Yeah, maybe, but it doesn't make it less true. 

Also, I think it's already obvious we're better coached. Players seem more dialed in, nobody is running their mouth off, and we genuinely seem to be embracing this "all bite, no bark" mentality. We were an absolute shit show last year, and even if we don't win 12 games, I firmly believe we'll look like a well-coached team. We might start off rocky, and it REALLY doesn't help that we start off with the damn Ravens and THEN play on Thursday, but if we can tread water and get hot to end the year...we'll be alright, I feel it. 

I love our coaches, I totally agree with our offensive philosophy, and we're going to have the best team we've had in YEARS this season. We might not make the playoffs, but we're going to have a quality product that fans can be proud of. Stefanski is the real deal, I'd bet on it. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

Yes Tour we. I think there were enough fans excited by the last half of the season. I was, even though I to Preferred to keep Dorsey and Greg Williams. There are going to be haters no matter who gets the head coaching job.  C'est la vie. That doesn't mean I wasn't optimistic and excited that maybe, just maybe the next season could go like the second half of the year. Things happened right? Frankly IIRC while my heart said Mayfield my head said Rosen.

Oh well, I'm the eternal optimist.

3 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

And now ESPN has the Browns predicted last place in the AFC North. Who thinks Jimmy will give the regime a second ear if that happens?

First... apparently "eternity" is about a day long... ;)

Not saying that even I did not come around to being optimistic about the Freddie era... short lived as that optimism was. Just saying that a universal "we" isn't near applicable when it comes to Freddie's selection. The man had very little experience running a squad let alone a locker room.

Leadership and organization are the most important attributes for a HC.

As for Jimmah... we'd have to put a shit-show on the field rivaling Hue's to even tempt him to make a change in 2021.

9 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Not saying that even I did not come around to being optimistic about the Freddie era... short lived as that optimism was. Just saying that a universal "we" isn't near applicable when it comes to Freddie's selection. The man had very little experience running a squad let alone a locker room.

I was excited as well, but it was short lived. Game 1 REALLY woke me up and had me saying, "Uh oh." 

37 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

First... apparently "eternity" is about a day long... ;)

Leadership and organization are the most important attributes for a HC.

As for Jimmah... we'd have to put a shit-show on the field rivaling Hue's to even tempt him to make a change in 2021.

We shall see. 6 and 10 last place = no major changes to the present regime is your prediction? I think that's optimistic but what the heck. Knock on wood cross your fingers Etc

WSS

I agree that Grossi is a little closer to reality than most.

We see it play out every year, and this year there are legit reasons.

Players haven't been able to practice as normal.

No pre-season games, where players and coaches learn how each other reacts during a game situation.