Jump to content
SdBacker80

Ravens Week

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Footbalfan1962 said:

Well at least the NFL nixed the deal that would of sent Clowney to the Ravens, that would of been hard to swallow

I thought the deal that the NFL nixed regarding Clowney was between the Browns and Saints? Was there another deal? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, BillMurray said:

It's the exact opposite. Ravens are running the same offense from 2019 with the same OC and they run the ball a ton, they aren't a timing based offense, they are a power running smashmouth team that should get out of the gates hot. They shouldn't be affected much by the lack of a preseason, Lamar runs a lot of those concepts in his sleep.

 

Us on the other hand do have a lot of kinks to work out in live game action with a new play caller. Hopefully Chubb can get going early and manufacture some rhythm to get our feet wet on offense

I expect a similar game to the week 17 2018 game. Ravens jump on us early and we come fighting back in the 2nd half after we start to gel

Add to this the fact that BLT ought to be able to scrape up some 2019 Vikings tape somewhere...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

I thought the deal that the NFL nixed regarding Clowney was between the Browns and Saints? Was there another deal? 

That was a front, if deal was approved he wasnt going to sign with the Browns,he was going to sign with Jacksonville and the Jags were trading him to the Ravens, Clowney wanted to be in Baltimore... the NFL will likely address this issue, essentially a team is signing a player and picking up part of the salary in exchange for another teams draft picks,, basically a back door way to buy draft picks which you can't do

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Footbalfan1962 said:

That was a front, if deal was approved he wasnt going to sign with the Browns,he was going to sign with Jacksonville and the Jags were trading him to the Ravens, Clowney wanted to be in Baltimore... the NFL will likely address this issue, essentially a team is signing a player and picking up part of the salary in exchange for another teams draft picks,, basically a back door way to buy draft picks which you can't do

Exactly and well put. This is basically the Brock Osweiler rule. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/7/2020 at 2:00 PM, Dutch Oven said:

What worked against the Ravens last year probably will be the way to beat them this year - jump out to a decent lead on them, make Lamar and their offense one-dimensional. 

That's about it right there. 

I just listened to the Ravens team breakdown by Browns Daily and...Jesus man, lol. This is definitely one of those "this is why they play the game" games where we have to win despite being outgunned. What really scares me is the Ravens don't really have to pass all that much if they don't want to and we don't have ANY linebackers with any experience playing Lamar AND our safeties haven't really played him (I don't think). 

You can have the best plan in place but it all goes to crap once Lamar tucks the ball and outrun everyone on your defense, haha. Turnovers...that's how we'll beat them. We win the TO battle, we got a chance. We desperately need more possessions because I totally see the Ravens scoring a bunch of points. 

Why couldn't we start with Jax? 😂 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, jiggins7919 said:

Exactly and well put. This is basically the Brock Osweiler rule. 

Except we kept the Brockmeister on roster for a while and was allowed to compete for our starting role... a role Kizer won. 😮

Appears the Jags/Ravens' Clowney plan did not include any consideration of him being a Jag.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Footbalfan1962 said:

That was a front, if deal was approved he wasnt going to sign with the Browns,he was going to sign with Jacksonville and the Jags were trading him to the Ravens, Clowney wanted to be in Baltimore... the NFL will likely address this issue, essentially a team is signing a player and picking up part of the salary in exchange for another teams draft picks,, basically a back door way to buy draft picks which you can't do

May all your posts be this good....

Wait....

Been a member since 2013 and only 36 posts??? Well... you are one person I will never accuse of being a post-whore. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

I never thought he'd seriously be in jeopardy of missing the opener, but it's great to know that Nick Harris can get the job done (to some extent) if we need him. Tretter is a beast and I respect the heck out of him. 

Speaking of OL, I'm a little terrified to think of of our shiny new rookie LT in his first contest against the Ravens. Godspeed, brotha! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, jiggins7919 said:

That's about it right there. 

I just listened to the Ravens team breakdown by Browns Daily and...Jesus man, lol. This is definitely one of those "this is why they play the game" games where we have to win despite being outgunned. What really scares me is the Ravens don't really have to pass all that much if they don't want to and we don't have ANY linebackers with any experience playing Lamar AND our safeties haven't really played him (I don't think). 

You can have the best plan in place but it all goes to crap once Lamar tucks the ball and outrun everyone on your defense, haha. Turnovers...that's how we'll beat them. We win the TO battle, we got a chance. We desperately need more possessions because I totally see the Ravens scoring a bunch of points. 

Why couldn't we start with Jax? 😂 

 

I think This is The time to play The Rats.

Maybe we see a defensive wrinkle?

Does anyone recall the Chargers Ravens playoff game a few years back where they traded their LBs out and Put in an extra safety.  They played with 6 DBs/Safeties most of the game.  They were flying to ball with the extra speed on D.  Who knows...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/8/2020 at 10:03 PM, Unsympathetic said:

Offenses lag vs defenses - early in season.

I'm not worried much about containing the ravens O.. I'm worried about our OL blocking their front 7 because Conklin and Bito can't do everything.  Tretter is out week1, Wills is still in offseason form, and Wyatt Teller is the name of an Amish carnival barker.

Tretter is back. My only concern is Jedrick Wills, and unfortunately that's a humongous one. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Unsympathetic said:

He is practicing on a limited basis. He is absolutely NOT confirmed to play.. Monday was his first practice all summer, he's not back to game speed yet.

That's true, but I'd be beyond shocked if he didn't play. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tretter is a tough dude he’s played through injuries throughout his career.  But I wonder if at this point he’s in ANY type of game shape.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, jiggins7919 said:

 My only concern is Jedrick Wills, and unfortunately that's a humongous one. 

Try a 'Cup of Joe' ... https://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/cup-of-joe-what-jedrick-wills-jr-can-expect-during-his-rookie-season  these should be a good read weekly  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Browns C JC Tretter, who recently returned to practice following a procedure on his knee, is considered questionable for Sunday's season opener.

Tretter returned to practice Monday and was listed as a limited participant Wednesday and Thursday. The veteran center has not missed a start since he signed with the Browns in 2017.

CB M.J. Stewart (hamstring) was also listed as questionable. He's been back at practice since Monday and was also a limited participant throughout the week.

Four Browns players who did not practice this week have been listed as out: CB Greedy Williams (shoulder), CB Kevin Johnson (liver), LB Mack Wilson (knee) and T Chris Hubbard (ankle).

 

Corners on PS? AJ Green & Robert Jackson..T/G--M.Dunn, Aiello & G.Senat.. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have no feeling on earth why... Call it the Homer syndrome.. I like the Browns by 3 points... I expect this game to be all kinds of a mess and low scoring... a game the browns can eek out with some luck....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/7/2020 at 1:37 PM, CLEVELANDwantsPLAYOFFS said:

Keep them off the field. Feed the Chubb. Control the clock.

Throw some high % passes on 1st down - Ravens are going to be hyper-focused on stopping Chubb early. Keep moving the chains, critical. Keep the D rested, as if we get into a situation where Balt. can pound the rock, it's bedtime. 

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Icecube said:

Throw some high % passes on 1st down - Ravens are going to be hyper-focused on stopping Chubb early. Keep moving the chains, critical. Keep the D rested, as if we get into a situation where Balt. can pound the rock, it's bedtime. 

I saw a pretty interesting stat a while back that I can't find now, but it was something like Stefanski lead the league in rushing attempts on 2nd and long and he had good results. I know I'm butchering it, but the point was that he was committed to running the ball as an OC and ran it more than anyone when people didn't THINK he'd run it. Now, I'm not saying he ran a draw play on 4th and 9 or anything (Jesus, that play still) but the guy definitely has a history of running the pill. 

Perhaps more impressive were Cousins' stats. He had like a 3-1 td to int ratio and was extremely efficient. Many of the tds came from play-action passes, and Baker especially loves throwing those (and has a higher qbr doing so!) 

The one thing I'd tell people to be ready for is the reliance on Kareem Hunt. Yes, Chubb is an absolute beast, but Hunt is going to be on the field quite a bit. Also, I got excited thinking about us using the FB again! Our offense is going to look completely different from years past and that's a good thing. Heck, OBJ might only have 4 catches, but I can bet you that he'll still have 80 yards. Want some fantasy advice? Start Hooper Sunday. He's going to go OFF. 

Can we win? Ehhhh...it'll be tough. Just try and avoid hitting the panic button after 1 game, folks. The Ravens are probably the 2nd best team in the world. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kevin Stefanski will be calling the offensive plays in his first season as Browns head coach.

Stefanski confirmed the decision Friday in a video call with reporters and explained how the unusual offseason played a major factor. He had hoped offensive coordinator Alex Van Pelt would have the opportunity to call plays during the preseason, but the adjusted schedules in the wake of the COVID-19 pandemic wiped out any chance at a few practice runs.

"I just think with everything we do I just tried to be mindful and take in all the information," Stefanski said. "I will tell you, I have not called 1,000 games, but I will tell you when I have called it we are very collaborative. So, we have a lot of people that have a hand in this, and I am really lucky because I am surrounded by a bunch of really good coaches on the offensive and defensive side. So, feel good about our staff." 

Stefanski called plays for the Vikings during the final part of the 2018 season and all of 2019. Under Stefanski's watch last season, QB Kirk Cousins posted the most efficient numbers of his career, and the Vikings ranked eighth in the NFL in scoring offense (25.4 points per game) and sixth in rushing offense (133.3 yards per game).

----------

For the record, I was hoping Van Pelt would be calling the plays and Stef would just run the whole show.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, nickers said:

 Call it the Homer syndrome.. I like the Browns by 3 points... I expect this game to be all kinds of a mess and low scoring... a game the browns can eek out with some luck....

phone taped a long year & 1 month later

      

This year teams are allowed to add one or two players from practice squad to active roster day before game. #Browns
 
NFL_2020_2021_Browns.png
brought up CB Robert Jackson today because of injuries at position. He will go back on practice squad Monday.
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/10/2020 at 9:24 AM, jiggins7919 said:

I never thought he'd seriously be in jeopardy of missing the opener, but it's great to know that Nick Harris can get the job done (to some extent) if we need him. Tretter is a beast and I respect the heck out of him. 

Speaking of OL, I'm a little terrified to think of of our shiny new rookie LT in his first contest against the Ravens. Godspeed, brotha! 

Is he lining up against Campbell? That dude is a flat out beast. God help us all. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Icecube said:

Is he lining up against Campbell? That dude is a flat out beast. God help us all. 

Looks that way per the Birds' Depth Chart...

I'm sure our Rook will get plenty of help vs. rush counts of five or less.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Looks that way per the Birds' Depth Chart...

I'm sure our Rook will get plenty of help vs. rush counts of five or less.

I think Campbell is one of the most underrated players in the NFL, he's just been on bad teams for the most part. 

He's big, strong, fast and gives great effort. We needed him on the Ravens like a flat tire. If Wills holds up even reasonably well his 1st NFL game, and at his new LT position, vs. Campbell, the future looks bright. This ain't no piece of cake. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Icecube said:

 This ain't no piece of cake. 

I've re-watched both games from last season.. The simple game notes should say...

Enjoy Game 1... but erase it... because Harbaugh already adjusted his defense in game 2.. Than hard-balls, just cut 7 starters out of 11 of his defensive players that started in game 1 ..

Adding bookends Calais Campbell & Derek Wolfe just add's more shine'y new toys to deal with...Rookie's DT Madubuike will be out..But we may get to see some Patrick Queen & Malik Harrison..

Ravens veteran coaching staff may have it's advanages. but their new defensive chest pieces, have played together just as long as the browns on defense.. the in the trenches warfare,👀 needs it's own camera set-up for quarter one..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, gumby73 said:

I've re-watched both games from last season.. The simple game notes should say...

Enjoy Game 1... but erase it... because Harbaugh already adjusted his defense in game 2.. Than hard-balls, just cut 7 starters out of 11 of his defensive players that started in game 1 ..

Adding bookends Calais Campbell & Derek Wolfe just add's more shine'y new toys to deal with...Rookie's DT Madubuike will be out..But we may get to see some Patrick Queen & Malik Harrison..

Ravens veteran coaching staff may have it's advanages. but their new defensive chest pieces, have played together just as long as the browns on defense.. the in the trenches warfare,👀 needs it's own camera set-up for quarter one..

One big difference is Balt. has a proven track record and tradition of developing nasty Ds, Browns have not done that yet. It seems more likely that Ravens integrate their younger defenders quicker than Cleveland will, and perhaps more successfully. I don't see the glaring holes on the Ravens D like the Browns. Do they have any unit as thin as the Browns' LBs? You don't want to defend the Ravens' rushing game thin at LB; you will see Ingram, Dobbins and Edwards all damn day. Yea, and throw in some Jackson runs as well. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×