THE BROWNS BOARD

Ravens release Earl Thomas

htownbrown

Well, we now need a safety.   Is he a SS or FS?    From his own mouth he believes he should be interchangeable:

ET: "I believe you have to be versatile. I don't think you can be one-dimensional. If you are one-dimensional, you need to be spectacular at what you do and you must do it week in and week out. You have to be interchangeable in this league."

6 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

Been a fan of Earl's game since he was at Texas.   But if an entire teams leadership doesn't want you.     Well.....

edit:  Ravens released him which I believe means they ate a good deal of $ for it.    Makes me even more skeptical.

left on his contract was 10M/11M than 12M.... this years cap hit?15M👀 ouch!

Browns don't need that headache. We are good at S, If he were a LB? well that could be a different story.

28 minutes ago, TopDawg31 said:

Browns don't need that headache. We are good at S, If he were a LB? well that could be a different story.

The fuck....have you been paying attention?  Our starting  SS just basically went down for the season, and the backup was a street UDFA no one has ever heard of.   And how is it that Thomas, who was considered a great team leader in Seattle, all of a sudden a team cancer in Baltimore? 

JT Hassell | 49

SS | Florida Tech | logo_thumb_CLE.gif Cleveland Browns
Ht: 6000 / 6' 00" | Wt: 199 | Upd: 04/22/2020

Vitals

Birth Date: 08/14/1995
Original Team: CLE FA
NFL Entry: 19 CFA
NFL Exp: 2
Depth Chart Key: CF19
Team History: CLE

Player History

05/19 CLE FA 
08/19 CLE waived 
09/19 CLE P/SQ 1-11 
11/19 CLE activated 12
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

If he was released however, would the Browns....or any team that picks him up also have to pick up that salary?  My understanding was not. 

No, if released, a new team would not have to pick up any of his past deal. Nothing. And they have released him. But it sounds like there is more to the story than one incident; it's sounding like he's had a meltdown and no one likes him on the Ravens. 

29 minutes ago, SdBacker80 said:

Was used more as an In The box safety by the Ravens and had a poor rating according to PFF in Run Defense department.  No thanks.

To be expected.  He's a middle fielder who has always been just a touch undersized.    He still isn't a complete liability, but he doesn't have the physical dimensions of somebody like Harrison Smith.

36 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

Who does he think is this team's strong safety? 

Kevin Johnson, list on depth chart as starting SS.    Lacerated liver?  

Except....well....Fuck Me.    I am confusing him  with Karl Joseph. 

KJ 1   Karl Joseph SS  KJ 2 Kevin Johnson   CB     One KJ looks like all the others

emily litella | Tumblr

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Kevin Johnson, list on depth chart as starting SS.    Lacerated liver?  

Except....well....Fuck Me.    I am confusing him  with Karl Joseph. 

KJ 1   Karl Joseph SS  KJ 2 Kevin Johnson   CB     One KJ looks like all the others

emily litella | Tumblr

Oh ok, I was wondering who you were talking about. 

5 hours ago, The Gipper said:

The fuck....have you been paying attention?  Our starting  SS just basically went down for the season, and the backup was a street UDFA no one has ever heard of.   And how is it that Thomas, who was considered a great team leader in Seattle, all of a sudden a team cancer in Baltimore? 

I don't know "how" but apparently it happened. Reading Raven boards, it appears the coaches, the front office AND the players all wanted him gone. He seems like an angry, red-headed step child, at this point. He must have really been in a dick mode to have everyone against him. 

https://forum.russellstreetreport.com/showthread.php?198099-Should-the-Ravens-cut-trade-Earl-Thomas-and-resign-Tony-Jefferson/page39

22 minutes ago, gumby73 said:

3rd? Terrance Mitchell slot 1.... than whom?

2 hours ago, Unsympathetic said:

KJ was on track to be the 3rd/slot corner.. Thomas wouldn't be the worst guy to sign on a prove-it deal, plus if a division rival is paying his salary so much the better.

I think you guys are presuming that the depth chart for the CB's will be something more of a "traditional" role.  It won't, and those days are quickly diminishing.  It'll be skill set vs skill set now.      So for example on our schedule - Denzel will mostly draw Hollywood Brown in coverage game 1.    Ward just has the better foot speed and matches up better across the formation.   4 days later against the Bengals, you'll probably see Greedy and Mitchell on Green and Higgins (not to Tyler Boyd) out on the perimeter with Ward shadowing Ross or Tate.   Unless Boyd ends up getting matched in the middle.   

The strength of our CB's is lead by ward, but I'm not putting a 5'10 corner on a 6'4 AJ Green and Joe Woods will tend to avoid that as well.   I'll leave that to 6'1 Greedy or 5'11 (and change) Terrance Mitchell.        Don't forget, his best corner when he left Denver was Chris Harris who mostly drew skilled interior receivers.    

Point being, we have some varying physical skill sets that, if developed and deployed properly, give us quality responses to a range of different receiver corps we'll face this year.     Will Greedy and Ward be the 1st 2 on the field?  95% of the time yes.   Who they'll be matching up with though might be another matter entirely.     Don't forget how Gregg Williams went against ATL at home a couple years ago and how those assignments went.

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

I think you guys are presuming that the depth chart for the CB's will be something more of a "traditional" role.  It won't, and those days are quickly diminishing.  It'll be skill set vs skill set now.      So for example on our schedule - Denzel will mostly draw Hollywood Brown in coverage game 1.    Ward just has the better foot speed and matches up better across the formation.   4 days later against the Bengals, you'll probably see Greedy and Mitchell on Green and Higgins (not to Tyler Boyd) out on the perimeter with Ward shadowing Ross or Tate.   Unless Boyd ends up getting matched in the middle.   

The strength of our CB's is lead by ward, but I'm not putting a 5'10 corner on a 6'4 AJ Green and Joe Woods will tend to avoid that as well.   I'll leave that to 6'1 Greedy or 5'11 (and change) Terrance Mitchell.        Don't forget, his best corner when he left Denver was Chris Harris who mostly drew skilled interior receivers.    

Point being, we have some varying physical skill sets that, if developed and deployed properly, give us quality responses to a range of different receiver corps we'll face this year.     Will Greedy and Ward be the 1st 2 on the field?  95% of the time yes.   Who they'll be matching up with though might be another matter entirely.     Don't forget how Gregg Williams went against ATL at home a couple years ago and how those assignments went.

Greedy and Ward have to play better. If they are just "solid" (not necessarily top 10, although Ward should be) the D could be pretty good. Still worried about LBs though. 

On 8/23/2020 at 4:29 PM, D Bone said:

Dude would have a serious chip on his shoulder for a team the browns need to beat twice, and at a position of need.......

Yeah I say take a flyer on him. 6-8 million range with some incentive, little to NO guaranteed money. Really nothing to lose, if he sucks or is acting like a bitch, cut him. Watch the rapists sign him though.

6 minutes ago, WarriorsRpussies said:

Yeah I say take a flyer on him. 6-8 million range with some incentive, little to NO guaranteed money. Really nothing to lose, if he sucks or is acting like a bitch, cut him. Watch the rapists sign him though.

Their S situation is pretty set.  Especially since they have young Fitz playing center field.     Very much doubt they would bring in Earl and risk disrupting the chemistry they've built in their secondary.

On 8/23/2020 at 6:43 PM, Orion said:

Yeah, something smells rotten with him.

Sure it does.. After the Hawks traded up to get Thomas in the draft..Thomas is seen flipping off Pete Carol after getting injured because the Hawks would not trade him..this after playing for Carrol for 8 seasons

Thomas goes to another good Coach in John Harbaugh...and has not himself? but the team players vote Thomas out too...

Again... at age 31... We should want no part of this coaching headcase in Cleveland with again a new coaching staff... firm pass for me...Sendego/Redwine & next man up!

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, gumby73 said:

but the team players vote Thomas out too...

Yeah.......you gotta be a special kind of asshole for that to happen.  I mean, what do you have to do?  Threaten to kill somebody?  

31 minutes ago, gumby73 said:

Sure it does.. After the Hawks traded up to get Thomas in the draft..Thomas is seen flipping off Pete Carol after getting injured because the Hawks would not trade him..this after playing for Carrol for 8 seasons

Thomas goes to another good Coach in John Harbaugh...and has not himself? but the team players vote Thomas out too...

Again... at age 31... We should want no part of this coaching headcase in Cleveland with again a new coaching staff... firm pass for me...Sendego/Redwine & next man up!

OK, for 8 seasons he was a model citizen.  Then something happened?   Seems to me that it may be 2 things:   Thomas realizing, after that injury, that his football life may have been coming close to reaching its mortality.  Secondly....along with that comes the fact that his earning potential is diminished, and he protests (in the form of howling at the moon), over that. 

I think the best he can do is to face reality:   He is older and he will NOT command the kind of money that he probably thinks he should;   and that if he wants to stick around, he should face he fact that he  is likely going to have to sign a heavily incentive laden contract.  If he is good as he thinks he is, he CAN get paid a fair amount.  If not, he won't. 

That is where I see the issue....and the solution, for him.