THE BROWNS BOARD

Video analysis of game 1 2019 loss

Unsympathetic

QB School - if you aren't already subscribed, you'll enjoy this channel if you like the detail.

Conventional wisdom has suggested that "the reason" for our game 1 loss was the delayed blitz packages that Titans ran on 7 plays.  Video analysis shows the top issue with each of those plays was in no case the delayed blitzer -- DL beating an OL immediately, WR not being ready for the ball or running a terrible route, Baker missing either the read or the throw before pressure is a factor.  A delayed blitz happened, yes, but isn't on the top 5 reasons why those plays didn't work. 

Sadly, the playcall against their defense was actually correct in most of these cases.. execution, of course, has room for improvement.

• Upvote 1

Real reason for loss: They weren't prepared, focused or awake. They came in arrogant, thinking all they needed to do was show up. I warned so many friends that TN had a really good chance of winning that game. Like the players, the fans just poo poo'd TN as having a real shot. Well, that attitude got the Browns crushed into dust. It didn't help that the head coach was an in-over-his-head clown...a fat joke spinning whimsical tales of yore around the campfire. 

Why on earth was he given the head coach job? Who was the boob who made that call?

When Saban retires, I humbly suggest | SECRant.com

6 hours ago, Unsympathetic said:

QB School - if you aren't already subscribed, you'll enjoy this channel if you like the detail.

Conventional wisdom has suggested that "the reason" for our game 1 loss was the delayed blitz packages that Titans ran on 7 plays.  Video analysis shows the top issue with each of those plays was in no case the delayed blitzer -- DL beating an OL immediately, WR not being ready for the ball or running a terrible route, Baker missing either the read or the throw before pressure is a factor.  A delayed blitz happened, yes, but isn't on the top 5 reasons why those plays didn't work. 

Sadly, the playcall against their defense was actually correct in most of these cases.. execution, of course, has room for improvement.

There is hardly ever a singular "reason" for losing a football game.  It's often a collection of things, as you mentioned - a missed route here, a back pickup on a pressure there, a late read another time, that have a snowball effect on an offense.     Even worse when you play against an offense focused on ball control which doesn't create many, if any, opportunities for your defense to get you additional possessions.  

I'd be curious what the flip side of this - (defensively speaking) was.    My recollection was we did a solid job limiting the titans on the OZ and getting into gaps.  Especially early...  actually most of the entire 1st half.   I remember things getting a bit out of hand when they threw some gap and downhill power ball at us as the game wore on.    

....if I could find the time to do film analysis myself :(

• Upvote 1