Jump to content
Vambo

Mack Wilson suffers knee injury, undergoing evaluation

Recommended Posts

https://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/mack-wilson-suffers-knee-injury-undergoing-evaluation

Browns LB Mack Wilson left practice Tuesday with a knee injury and is undergoing evaluation on its severity.

Wilson went down midway through the practice during a seven-on-seven drill. He was helped off the field by Browns trainers and eventually carted into the facility.

Wilson, a fifth-round pick in the 2019 NFL Draft, emerged as a key starter for the Browns during his rookie season. He stepped in for an injured Christian Kirksey beginning in Week 3 and finished the season with 14 starts, 77 tackles, an interception and a forced fumble.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

well....crapola. hopefully not a big deal. Just tweaked.

dammit. Chubb checked for concussion....

crap.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hyper- extended his knee. Conversation is now whether or not to have season-ending surgery.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This kid worked so hard. I can't believe the season ends like this for him....

Hopefully we'll get some good news soon. Hyperextensions can hurt like a a BEEOTCH, but once the swelling comes down the joints often respond well to therapy. It honestly wouldn't surprise me if he's back in 4-6 weeks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They had a lot to prove prior to this.  I think a good Dline can mask some of these issues but it won’t be easy for this unit Given the assignment football, reads and shadowing that needs to take place with the Rats up Week 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How would, maybe,  signing Clowney  help out, if at all possible ?   He IS still out there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

How would, maybe,  signing Clowney  help out, if at all possible ?   He IS still out there. 

He's still trying to get $18 mill/year. Maybe he will finally come off that #. He's got to join a team at some point, he's not going to sit the year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Icecube said:

He's still trying to get $18 mill/year. Maybe he will finally come off that #. He's got to join a team at some point, he's not going to sit the year. 

Do we know what the Browns offered him?    I understand that we still gave him the best offer he has gotten so far.  Maybe this Wilson injury could get them to up the ante a bit. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Do we know what the Browns offered him?    I understand that we still gave him the best offer he has gotten so far.  Maybe this Wilson injury could get them to up the ante a bit. 

They can up it a tad, he can lower it a tad. It seems to make sense.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Icecube said:

They can up it a tad, he can lower it a tad. It seems to make sense.  

In looking it up, I see the Browns made this offer.   As I see it, the big sticking point is probably that it was just a one year offer.  Maybe he would be willing to come down to 15 mill....if it were for like 3 years.  (but...who trusts his viability over 3 years?  Apparently not the Browns) 

Still....the question is:   would this even help our situation with Wilson's injury?    Browns depth chart had him starting at  Weakside LB.  Per the depth chart I saw, his backup is a UDFA named Solomon Ajayi.   (related to the RB I assume?)   

Could Clowney even cover that position?   Or would like, say, Garrett move there and Clowney take his DE slot?  

$15 million
 
Jadeveon Clowney is clearly valuing himself more than any NFL team is right now — including the ClevelandBrowns. Recent reports suggest that the Browns have lowered their offer to the free-agent defensive end, now offering him $15 million for one season.Jun 17, 2020
 
 
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And Shit Maude....here are OLBs still available....expecially this #1 guy:

ramsb_logo.gif Clay Matthews, DE/OLB, Rams. Age: 34. star.gifstar.gif 
Clay Matthews' career looked like it was over in 2018, but he signed with the Rams and played better than expected. Thanks to Wade Phillips' great coaching, Matthews was able to log eight sacks. He could rapidly regress, however, given that he'll turn 34 in May.

I dont give a shit if he is 34.  His old man played till he was like 40.

He would only bring character, leadership, stability, legacy here....even if he is not at peak performance of what he once was. 

Others: 

 

 
  1. Eric Wilson (RFA), OLB, Vikings. Age: 25. star.gifhalfstar.gif
  2. Brooks Reed, DE/OLB, Cardinals. Age: 33. 
  3. Malcolm Smith, OLB, Cowboys. Age: 31. star.gifhalfstar.gif
  4. Josh Martin, DE/OLB, Saints. Age: 28. star.gif
  5. Elijah Lee (RFA), OLB, 49ers. Age: 28. star.gif
  6. Sam Acho, DE/OLB, Buccaneers. Age: 31. star.gif
  7. Maurice Alexander, OLB, Bills. Age: 29. star.gif 
     


 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

And Shit Maude....here are OLBs still available....expecially this #1 guy:

ramsb_logo.gif Clay Matthews, DE/OLB, Rams. Age: 34. star.gifstar.gif 
Clay Matthews' career looked like it was over in 2018, but he signed with the Rams and played better than expected. Thanks to Wade Phillips' great coaching, Matthews was able to log eight sacks. He could rapidly regress, however, given that he'll turn 34 in May.

I dont give a shit if he is 34.  His old man played till he was like 40.

He would only bring character, leadership, stability, legacy here....even if he is not at peak performance of what he once was. 

Others: 

 

 
  1. Eric Wilson (RFA), OLB, Vikings. Age: 25. star.gifhalfstar.gif
  2. Brooks Reed, DE/OLB, Cardinals. Age: 33. 
  3. Malcolm Smith, OLB, Cowboys. Age: 31. star.gifhalfstar.gif
  4. Josh Martin, DE/OLB, Saints. Age: 28. star.gif
  5. Elijah Lee (RFA), OLB, 49ers. Age: 28. star.gif
  6. Sam Acho, DE/OLB, Buccaneers. Age: 31. star.gif
  7. Maurice Alexander, OLB, Bills. Age: 29. star.gif 
     


 

Boy, not a great list there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Icecube said:

Boy, not a great list there. 

But, you would go for Matthews at this point.  Fair to say?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, The Gipper said:

How would, maybe,  signing Clowney  help out.

In this case? It wouldn't.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is it a direct fix?   No.  But we can always use more dudes on defense. Personnel wise You can rotate more bodies upfront which can only help the back 7.  You could move Garrett inside on some downs stack Clowney on his side.  

We will miss Wilson on coverage. Taki seems a little rough there and Goodson isn’t known for it ether. 

We truly have no idea how this COVID mess will play out as the year goes on.  I’d take any defensive playmakers at this point that will not kill our cap down the road.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd be really shocked if Berry-lynics pays premium rate for anybody at this point..projected total cap next season 175M? and that's based on tv ratings (before the kneeling starts🤫) . Once Garrett got done..I'd expect more of the same of paying our own next season..Teams will be forced to cut bigger names come next off season... I now expect Berry to roll 25-30M to next season..and I also thought by the time i got home? LB Jermaine Grace would be called back just as Obinna was... instead am seeing we brought in Kickers :ph34r:    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, tiamat63 said:

In this case? It wouldn't.

Yeah, unless I'm missing something, I don't understand how putting Clowney at OLB in the 4-3 would be even an option? Garrett at OLB? 🤪

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds to me like Mack Wilson is out for the season. Nothing official, but he posted some weird stuff on Twitter about God being good and having a plan and all that. Hope I'm wrong cuz our LBs blow. Lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sign Clay Matthews III   !!!

What kind of money (years) is he looking for?

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The Gipper said:

Sign Clay Matthews III   !!!

What kind of money (years) is he looking for?

I WISH! but Canton Mike

Mike

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mack Wilson is getting a second opinion from Dr. James Andrews. Which is the same thing as, "I hope to be back next year." 

*sigh*

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, jiggins7919 said:

Mack Wilson is getting a second opinion from Dr. James Andrews. Which is the same thing as, "I hope to be back next year." 

*sigh*

Definitely a tough break for the guy.

I STILL can't wrap my dome around HOW in the flock-of-seagulls that Dorsey-Doe didn't even consider extending Schobert's contract during last season - fully understanding the summer school caliber learning curve unfolding with the younger/inexperienced LBers.  YES, the year Schobert played through a bad hammy - he missed a lot of the tackles he routinely made when healthier (ie; Big 10 Defensive Player of the Year and the recent season he led the entire NFL in tackles).  It sure looked like he defended more passes than Dorsey's heart throb Corner (Greedy) while his tackle volume ranked with the elite. Keep in mind all the while we had him - he was on a mid round salary.  In essence, we trained the feller so that when he was entering his very best football - it was time to let another team in our conference sign him.  That might not have stung so bad if we already had depth and experience in our LBer Corps.  The time to get the home town deal done wasn't AFTER the season; especially for a team that refused to consider him keeper material up against the alternatives.

 

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/19/2020 at 9:01 PM, The Gipper said:

Sign Clay Matthews III   !!!

What kind of money (years) is he looking for?

I don't know what kind of money he is looking for; but his dad played at a pretty high level until he was almost a grandfather. 

I think he still had something like 8 or 9 sacks last year.  Having said that, I remember the chip of the ole block's father was talented enough to play any of the 4 LBer positions in the 3-4 and the 4-3 alignments we had here.  Above all, there would be no substitute for the experience and leadership he could offer.

You and Canton Mike have a great idea for our situation here IF he's still available...

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Berry has had options..Covid testing rules can't help the process..But, 

it's time to tell your Camp bodies "We got to get Better" and quick https://cleveland.com/browns/2020/08/free-agent-linebacker-options-for-the-browns-if-mack-wilson-is-lost-for-the-2020-season.html  help pull his trigger Joe Wood's..Were not finding much better than we already have waiting on a few cut downs? 🤔 Now the Price tag is only as good as the team that shows it $$  

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Flugel said:

Definitely a tough break for the guy.

I STILL can't wrap my dome around HOW in the flock-of-seagulls that Dorsey-Doe didn't even consider extending Schobert's contract during last season - fully understanding the summer school caliber learning curve unfolding with the younger/inexperienced LBers.  YES, the year Schobert played through a bad hammy - he missed a lot of the tackles he routinely made when healthier (ie; Big 10 Defensive Player of the Year and the recent season he led the entire NFL in tackles).  It sure looked like he defended more passes than Dorsey's heart throb Corner (Greedy) while his tackle volume ranked with the elite. Keep in mind all the while we had him - he was on a mid round salary.  In essence, we trained the feller so that when he was entering his very best football - it was time to let another team in our conference sign him.  That might not have stung so bad if we already had depth and experience in our LBer Corps.  The time to get the home town deal done wasn't AFTER the season; especially for a team that refused to consider him keeper material up against the alternatives.

 

I know...I know. We needed Schobert and I don't get it. We're in deep guano at the LB position and we might have to bend over and pay out the nose for a free agent. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/20/2020 at 8:19 AM, jiggins7919 said:

Mack Wilson is getting a second opinion from Dr. James Andrews.

My guess...he's been told season ending surgery and he's hoping that Andrews says no need for that.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/19/2020 at 2:17 PM, The Gipper said:

But, you would go for Matthews at this point.  Fair to say?

At this point? Probably. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Orion said:

My guess...he's been told season ending surgery and he's hoping that Andrews says no need for that.

My guess is your guess also hopes Dr Andrews doesn't say "trust the 1st opinion" or "phuck science - chug Clorox!"  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, gumby73 said:

Berry has had options..Covid testing rules can't help the process..But, 

it's time to tell your Camp bodies "We got to get Better" and quick https://cleveland.com/browns/2020/08/free-agent-linebacker-options-for-the-browns-if-mack-wilson-is-lost-for-the-2020-season.html  help pull his trigger Joe Wood's..Were not finding much better than we already have waiting on a few cut downs? 🤔 Now the Price tag is only as good as the team that shows it $$  

Thanks for the article Gumbs!   When I think of 1st step instinct, I'm hoping a last name like Meander is just an oxy-moron.  It's early, but seeing a lot of names I'm not familiar with getting more reps than Ticky-Takitaki doesn't make me miss Ron Wolf's entitled brat in our FO at all.  The only time I ever saw a form tackle in all his greatest hits videos from college was when he hit a stationary QB from behind. Other than that, he looked like a kid in blind-folds trying to take inventory of milkers on a Twister mat.  Anyway, you get the picture but it's more than okay if you don't.   Do I sound like I need another cup of coffee?

FWIW, I heard the NFL Channel's Kyle Brandt (whom I like) say twice in the last 2 weeks that Cleveland has one of the most talented rosters from top to bottom on both sides of the ball.  Tell you what Kyle, you come Coordinate this defense against Baltimore or even Pittsburgh this year (without Schobert or if Garrett misses any games) - and let me know exactly how talented and deep it is... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×