THE BROWNS BOARD

Mack Wilson suffers knee injury, undergoing evaluation

Vambo

5 hours ago, nickers said:

For me... its the QB,RB and your best WR... That's what you build your team around..... I would do everything possible to keep Chubb a Brown so long as he remains healthy (Key) Most RB's and LB'er's have a shelf life of 4 yrs on average...... If Baker proves himself this year... I see no reason why they can't co-exist for the immediate time and future ahead... They'll have to get creative..... Make necessary cuts where they are needed without gutting the roster...

I don’t see how this happens but I’ll say a prayer...

top 5 QB money for Baker, Top 3 Back Money for Chubb and Garrett’s contract. 

1 hour ago, SdBacker80 said:

I don’t see how this happens but I’ll say a prayer...

top 5 QB money for Baker, Top 3 Back Money for Chubb and Garrett’s contract. 

I agree , It's a canundrum...

9 hours ago, The Gipper said:

I agree with you somewhat.  It would be more effective to use  Dadaism on you than Didacticism

Well, I'm not sure what art forms have to do with it, but OK. 

Someone tell me why Schobert wasn't worth keeping. 

https://dawgpounddaily.com/2020/03/01/cleveland-browns-letting-joe-schobert-walk-unpopular-correct-move/

3 hours ago, nickers said:

I agree , It's a canundrum...

Well, the good news is you only get into cap trouble when you have good players. I'd rather have those headaches than the headaches of just sucking. I love the problem of too many good players to pay than having giant gobs of space winning 3 games a year. If Cleveland has too much talent to pay, better draft well. You got to have 50% of your team on 1st year contracts, can't afford it if you don't. 

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, nickers said:

I don't mean to upset the Apple Cart here.. But I see this team winning 6-8 games if they are lucky...  I'm not sold on this defensive philosophy ,LB'ers or Safeties... Everything else on the perimeter seems legit.. Greedy,Ward, D-Line.. etc..

Who predicted this team would win more than 6-8 games?   Didn't I say I was worried about this LB Corps especially against Baltimore and Pittsburgh this year?    You know this isn't the only thread I've worried about the LB Corps; but I felt it was about time I gave Berry some credit for the areas he did address and how he setup contracts with FAs in the sense that when/if they go elsewhere - we get comp picks in exchange.  That's a vision we haven't had here prior to Berry re-joining us with some goodies he learned in Philly.

What I was trying to say prior to your reply Nickers is Andrew Berry addressed a lot of areas of need in his 1st off-season back - but way more help is still needed at LBer.  That said, who led the LSU/National Champions in tackles (J.Phillips)?  And take a guess who drafted that LBer?   The FO also added a FA at ILB (BJ Goodson) so it wasn't like they totally ignored LBer.                                                                                                                         

These are the other areas the FO had to address:  

Offensive Tackle?  Drafted our new LT (J.Wills) in Round 1 and added a RT FA (J.Conklin) with an All Pro Season already on the young resume.  

Safety?  Drafted the Jim Thorpe Award Winner (G.Delpit) while also adding a former 1st round Safety in FA (Joseph) and another Safety (A.Sandejo). 

Corner?  Added a former 1st round Corner (K.Johnson) via FA for depth while we already have Terrance Mitchell on the roster.

Tight End//H-Back/FB?  Drafted (H.Bryant) and added FAs (A.Hooper & A.Janovich).

QB?  FA (C.Keenum).  That ain't just a massive boost in depth - it's been a great attitude adjustment for Baker.  Not to mention how helpful he can be to Baker with experience as a starter in Stefanski's Offense.

In a season where we don't know how many games they will play - I'm not even thinking about the record. I'm gonna learn about who this team is 1 week at a time in 2020.  I see a lot of new faces joining a team that was 7-9 in 2018 and 6-10 in 2019 that didn't have any mini-camps and OTAs together with only 5-6 weeks to GET IT without preseason games and hit the ground running.  And, oh BTW, there's a new HC, OC, and DC here with that challenge; so I don't know where you are reading people are predicting the second coming of the Undefeated 72 Dolphins this year.  What I will say again, is I like how many areas  the FO addressed this off-season regardless of how worried I am about the LB Corps.  Not for nothing, there's still some FA LBs available that can help us. 

• Upvote 3

23 hours ago, Flugel said:

I hear ya!  I'm not getting Jiggy with it either. 

If you're going to link ROTM, you have to put on the full version.  The piano intro really helps hype the song.

19 hours ago, nickers said:

I don't mean to upset the Apple Cart here.. But I see this team winning 6-8 games if they are lucky...  I'm not sold on this defensive philosophy ,LB'ers or Safeties... Everything else on the perimeter seems legit.. Greedy,Ward, D-Line.. etc..

Since you're now floating into my territory and talking about a coach who hails from one of my favorite football tree's,  what specifically about the philosophy don't you like?

Just now, Unsympathetic said:

Adding to the discussion of the D this season.. important to know how a player is going to be used as well as the traits of that player.

Ahh.    If that's a video explaining the pattern matching principles developed by Saban and BB in Cleveland, you can also find ones explaining more on YT from Saban himself on his calls (RIP/LIZ, LINDA/RITA, etc etc)  

What I like about Woods is his taking of some of the more creative traits of the coaches he is trying to emulate.  He does a good job mixing up fronts, being flexible with personnel, having safety's that can adequately fill each others primary rolls when the call arises,  then the blend of man coverage and match zone is something I'm a fan of.   Not because he HAS to, unlike Wilks who only asked more man to help supplement the pass rush,  but because that's who he is as a coach.    And his DB's tend to not play nearly the amount of off that Wilks had - arguably my biggest issue with him.  

I'm excited to see the future of this defense once the right players are in place.  But our lack of impact from the LB spot and now Billings opting out might really place a glass ceiling over this group for the 2020 season.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, tiamat63 said:

once the right players are in place

I don't see Wilson part of the medium-to-long term future anyway.. That link is an evaluation of each Wilson game last season. So I don't think this season's record will be impacted by him being out [hint: He's not good] .. probably better that it forces us to move on.

TLDR: He's 93rd out of the 100 LB's in the entire league who qualified for a season grade.

Side note, the middle of the last video I posted analyzes terrible LB play in Arizona last year -- 37yo Suggs playing Will and dropping into space? - and after they released Suggs the D had their best performances of the season.. because releasing Suggs finally allowed Woods to put his players where they had the best chance to succeed.

I also don't see teriyaki sauce becoming a long-term Cleveland flavor.. ST/backup flavor of the month, sure, but no more.

33 minutes ago, Unsympathetic said:

I don't see Wilson part of the medium-to-long term future anyway.. That link is an evaluation of each Wilson game last season. So I don't think this season's record will be impacted by him being out [hint: He's not good] .. probably better that it forces us to move on.

TLDR: He's 93rd out of the 100 LB's in the entire league who qualified for a season grade.

Side note, the middle of the last video I posted analyzes terrible LB play in Arizona last year -- 37yo Suggs playing Will and dropping into space? - and after they released Suggs the D had their best performances of the season.. because releasing Suggs finally allowed Woods to put his players where they had the best chance to succeed.

I also don't see teriyaki sauce becoming a long-term Cleveland flavor.. ST/backup flavor of the month, sure, but no more.

Half the reason Suggs was at will is because he is pretty much incapable as dropping as much as a sam backer...  in this case with Arizona, that hinders Chandler because he should be the one rushing the passer more often than not.   But because you have Suggs on your roster and you feel it necessary to use him to the detriment of your own defense as a whole, that's the result.   AT least, IMHO. 

I'm not overly fond of any of our linebackers.   Wilson has a shot in my mind, but right now LB, S and IDL will all be priorities next draft. 

10 hours ago, Icecube said:

Well, I'm not sure what art forms have to do with it, but OK. 

Someone tell me why Schobert wasn't worth keeping. 

https://dawgpounddaily.com/2020/03/01/cleveland-browns-letting-joe-schobert-walk-unpopular-correct-move/

Didacticism is an art form.

(and I can't answer your question re Schobert...I would have thought he was worth keeping.  Only I can think of is that the money Jax gave him was far beyond what the Browns were willing to do.  They should have sign him to an extension a year earlier.

Didactic, of literature or other art, intended to convey instruction and information. The word is often used to refer to texts that are overburdened with instructive or factual matter to the exclusion of graceful and pleasing detail so that they are pompously dull and erudite.  Herein considered a typical piece of didactic art: 

Ernst_Haeckel%27s_Artforms_of_Nature_of_1904.jpg

1 hour ago, The Gipper said:

Didacticism is an art form.

(and I can't answer your question re Schobert...I would have thought he was worth keeping.  Only I can think of is that the money Jax gave him was far beyond what the Browns were willing to do.  They should have sign him to an extension a year earlier.

Didactic, of literature or other art, intended to convey instruction and information. The word is often used to refer to texts that are overburdened with instructive or factual matter to the exclusion of graceful and pleasing detail so that they are pompously dull and erudite.  Herein considered a typical piece of didactic art: 

Ernst_Haeckel%27s_Artforms_of_Nature_of_1904.jpg

di·dac·tic
/dīˈdaktik/

adjective

1. intended to teach, particularly in having moral instruction as an ulterior motive.
    "a didactic novel that set out to expose social injustice"

1 minute ago, Icecube said:

di·dac·tic
/dīˈdaktik/

Yes, I am well aware of that.   I was just playing around with the art form of that particular expression......and still saying that  you were more Dada:   Deliberately irrational and negatory toward tradition. 

Now, for Nickers,  the form of art expression he would adhere to is strictly:  Dick.  https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/3bjdzy/the-prime-minister-of-dick-is-the-best-penis-artist-on-earth-666

On 8/23/2020 at 9:26 AM, tiamat63 said:

If you're going to link ROTM, you have to put on the full version.  The piano intro really helps hype the song.

Since you're now floating into my territory and talking about a coach who hails from one of my favorite football tree's,  what specifically about the philosophy don't you like?

The prevent style D they will use... They will get Torched.. TE's are gonna have a field day on us..

On 8/23/2020 at 1:33 PM, The Gipper said:

Yes, I am well aware of that.   I was just playing around with the art form of that particular expression......and still saying that  you were more Dada:   Deliberately irrational and negatory toward tradition. 

Now, for Nickers,  the form of art expression he would adhere to is strictly:  Dick.  https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/3bjdzy/the-prime-minister-of-dick-is-the-best-penis-artist-on-earth-666

Your Boyfriend... How quaint!

On 9/1/2020 at 5:33 PM, Orion said:

He's gonna be gimpy all year.

It also helps that he's super young. Youth definitely heals quicker! 

We got two super big breaks in that Johnson and Wilson will be back sooner than later. Johnson might be back as early as week 1 but I seriously doubt it. The Wilson injury terrifies me because our linebackers are probably the lowest rated in the league and now we lost Wilson for the opener AND Delpit in the secondary. Delpit really hurts because he was going to allow us flexibility on formations. Without him, we're scrambling. 

Well, we're getting closer to week 1 and I have no clue what to expect. I don't want to be negative, but if I was a betting man I couldn't take the Browns under any circumstances. 

19 minutes ago, jiggins7919 said:

It also helps that he's super young. Youth definitely heals quicker! 

Well, we're getting closer to week 1 and I have no clue what to expect. I don't want to be negative, but if I was a betting man I couldn't take the Browns under any circumstances. 

1)  I'm guessing that they put Mack Wilson on IR and then take him off IR when allowed (what is it, 8 games?).

2)  It's very hard to bet on any team without getting any hints from the preseason.  But us?  With all of our newness (again)?  Playing against a stable, strong team / organization?  ForgetAboutit.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Orion said:

1)  I'm guessing that they put Mack Wilson on IR and then take him off IR when allowed (what is it, 8 games?).

2)  It's very hard to bet on any team without getting any hints from the preseason.  But us?  With all of our newness (again)?  Playing against a stable, strong team / organization?  ForgetAboutit.

Don't forget about the season opener curse. Lmao 

1 hour ago, jiggins7919 said:

Don't forget about the season opener curse. Lmao 

:) Nope, I didn't.  I was going to add that it doesn't seem like we'd be breaking our opening day loss tradition this year.   It seems like we're constantly starting seasons with new coaching regimes....with little to no chance of winning game 1.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Orion said:

:) Nope, I didn't.  I was going to add that it doesn't seem like we'd be breaking our opening day loss tradition this year.   It seems like we're constantly starting seasons with new coaching regimes....with little to no chance of winning game 1.

And this is about as bad of a week 1 as I can think of. Can you think of another team you'd like to play less? Maybe the Chiefs, but that's about it. 

• Like 1

Could it get any worse than a 43-13 home opener loss to the Titans? Hell, Mariota was under center :ph34r:,,, Baker chucked up 3 picks & was sacked 5 times....

i don't see the ravens hitting 30.. and Baker won't have to force anything... welcome to... eat the clock & move the chains football.. stay tuned for week 1...W00F !! 

• Like 1