THE BROWNS BOARD

Survey Sunday 8/16/2020

The Gipper

Here is this week's survey.    Give your answers and opinions.

1.  Statement:    Baker Mayfield,  Nick Chubb, and Austin Hooper  will be the "dominators"  in Stefanski's offense,  more so than WRs  OBJ and Landry.    Your views on this.

2. Which  4-5-6  NFL QBs have the most  "to prove"   this season?

3. There will be  2 new NFL stadiums this year....In LA and in Las Vegas.    (though....there may be no fans in them).    Are you excited to see them? 

4. The Big Ten and Pac-12 have shut down their college football seasons.   Good or bad call?  Explain. 

5. What  former fast food chain do you miss   (if any)?

6. What cities in the USA  would you NEVER have a desire to live in? 

1 hour ago, The Gipper said:

1.  Statement:    Baker Mayfield,  Nick Chubb, and Austin Hooper  will be the "dominators"  in Stefanski's offense,  more so than WRs  OBJ and Landry.    Your views on this.

OBJ & Landry will have fewer targets but I expect bigger splash plays when defenses try to cheat up on this run game or need to factor in the TE spot more now than ever.  I expect better YAC numbers from both.

Carson Wentz comes to mind. 

3. There will be  2 new NFL stadiums this year.  (though....there may be no fans in them).    Are you excited to see them? 

I’ve been checking out the updates online with SOFI.  Wow just wow.  Looks like an AMAZING stadium not excited though about the travel up from San Diego though. 

4. The Big Ten and Pac-12 have shut down their college football seasons.   Good or bad call?  Explain. 

Too soon. And It should be all or no one. This talk of spring football is crazy.  urban Meyer laid Out the case against it very well

Not really fast food.  But healthy buffet style that just went out here in So Cal (Souplantation) I’m really bummed it was a great spot to Eat somewhat healthy and eat quickly. 

Top 4...1. LA 2. Las Vegas 3. Pittsburgh 4. Detroit 

My views.   I think this is likely true.  If I am not mistaken, the likes of  Kyle Rudolph and Dalvin Cook were bigger parts of Stefanski's offenses in Minnesota.  Oh, OBJ and Landry will get their opportunities....its just that I think they share the spotlight with the RB and TE. 

There are quite a few  IMO....even more than maybe 5-6.    Yes, Baker Mayfield.   And Ben R....proving he can come back off major injury.  Cam Newton in New England, clearly.  Phillip Rivers and Tom Brady in their new locations in Indy and Tampa Bay respectively.  Mitch Trubisky, without a doubt. Whomever the Chargers  QB will be.  Derek Carr.  Maybe even Garropolo after the SB 4th quarter. 

3. There will be  2 new NFL stadiums this year.  (though....there may be no fans in them).    Are you excited to see them? 

Uh, yea, sort of.  But no more really than the fairly new ones in Minnesota, Atlanta.   The ONE thing that I will be curious about......when things  perhaps get back to normal (if ever)  is if that new LA stadium will attract fans to LA Charger games.  They clearly will be playing second fiddle in that stadium as far as I can tell. 

Probably justified.....but it just seemed to be a very premature decision. 

The Red Barn, and here is why.  More for nostalgia than for the food.   During my Jr. High and High school years there was a Red Barn right across the street from the schools. It was, in fact, very much a center of activity.   Right next to it was a field where there were always ad hoc  pickup football games being played and  it was also right across from the High School football stadium. So it was a center of activity on Friday Night Lights after the games. Also...one summer between my freshman and sophomore years of college I lived in Ft. Lauderdale Fla. for 6 weeks, and I worked at a Red Barn there.  And by the way, the Red Barn International HQ was in Ft. L.  just down the street.    So, my memories of that chain are rather fond. 

As I said elsewhere:    Atlanta.   Houston.  Dallas, Phoenix  proper.  Probably also Detroit.   Maybe I could tolerate areas beyond these towns, but not IN those towns.   Also, Port Arthur Texas.   It is the scariest city I have ever been in, save obvious really bad areas of some major cities. 

16 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

My views.   I think this is likely true.  If I am not mistaken, the likes of  Kyle Rudolph and Dalvin Cook were bigger parts of Stefanski's offenses in Minnesota.  Oh, OBJ and Landry will get their opportunities....its just that I think they share the spotlight with the RB and TE. 

There are quite a few  IMO....even more than maybe 5-6.    Yes, Baker Mayfield.   And Ben R....proving he can come back off major injury.  Cam Newton in New England, clearly.  Phillip Rivers and Tom Brady in their new locations in Indy and Tampa Bay respectively.  Mitch Trubisky, without a doubt. Whomever the Chargers  QB will be.  Derek Carr.  Maybe even Garropolo after the SB 4th quarter. 

Uh, yea, sort of.  But no more really than the fairly new ones in Minnesota, Atlanta.   The ONE thing that I will be curious about......when things  perhaps get back to normal (if ever)  is if that new LA stadium will attract fans to LA Charger games.  They clearly will be playing second fiddle in that stadium as far as I can tell. 

Probably justified.....but it just seemed to be a very premature decision. 

The Red Barn, and here is why.  More for nostalgia than for the food.   During my Jr. High and High school years there was a Red Barn right across the street from the schools. It was, in fact, very much a center of activity.   Right next to it was a field where there were always ad hoc  pickup football games being played and  it was also right across from the High School football stadium. So it was a center of activity on Friday Night Lights after the games. Also...one summer between my freshman and sophomore years of college I lived in Ft. Lauderdale Fla. for 6 weeks, and I worked at a Red Barn there.  And by the way, the Red Barn International HQ was in Ft. L.  just down the street.    So, my memories of that chain are rather fond. 

As I said elsewhere:    Atlanta.   Houston.  Dallas, Phoenix  proper.  Probably also Detroit.   Maybe I could tolerate areas beyond these towns, but not IN those towns.   Also, Port Arthur Texas.   It is the scariest city I have ever been in, save obvious really bad areas of some major cities. 

LA people love new shiny things.  They will go to LA Charger games.  It will still be the worst home field advantage in football as half Of the fans will not actively follow the play going on. The soccer stadium had no appeal.  

2 minutes ago, SdBacker80 said:

LA people love new shiny things.  They will go to LA Charger games.  It will still be the worst home field advantage in football as half Of the fans will not actively follow the play going on. The soccer stadium had no appeal.  

It won't be anytime soon, but it would not shock me if the Chargers end up back in San Diego. 

Los Angeles is a mediocre pro football market. I don't see them supporting two teams long term. San Diego did. 

34 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

It won't be anytime soon, but it would not shock me if the Chargers end up back in San Diego. 

Los Angeles is a mediocre pro football market. I don't see them supporting two teams long term. San Diego did. 

San Diego gave the Chargers very mediocre support.  Unless the Chargers were legitimate Super Bowl contenders half of the games were blacked out or avoided blackout by local corporations buying the unsold ticket blocks. 

The City of San Diego will not vote yes for a stadium measure. And until new ownership is in place with a more realistic view of the situation they will not be back. 

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, SdBacker80 said:

San Diego gave the Chargers very mediocre support.  Unless the Chargers were legitimate Super Bowl contenders half of the games were blacked out or avoided blackout by local corporations buying the unsold ticket blocks. 

The City of San Diego will not vote yes for a stadium measure. And until new ownership is in place with a more realistic view of the situation they will not be back. 

Oh trust me, that would be under the idea that the Chargers would have new ownership.

I'm not talking five years from now. I'm talking a generation from now. Kind of like how the Rams left L.A. in the mid 90s and came back almost 25 years later. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Landry & Hooper is my guess at getting the most production... Chubb may get his production? but am wait & see on loaded boxes, new OL, new blocking scheme.. 

Baker Mayfield, Cam Newton & Dak Prescott👀

3. There will be  2 new NFL stadiums this year....In LA and in Las Vegas.    (though....there may be no fans in them).    Are you excited to see them? 

Hated the Oakland move :(but i'd take a roadie to Vegas to watch some Browns football

Totally Sucks!! period..Adults had their incomes put at risk, by not having a choice to play...

I never miss any of them..ya just can't find a empty one to get to the window fast enough..ok? Can we get more than one Fish & Chips within 40 miles...

f'n burrr COLD cities...Chicago☃️ / the whole dang state of Minnesota.. I once looked down from a plane landing at Laguardia Airport, Queens NY:ph34r:..no f'n way jose

4 hours ago, The Gipper said:

I suspect that Chubb statistically would be the only "dominator". I don't see this being a particularly high-powered offense, but more of a balanced offense that can control the clock.

Baker and Sam Darnold come to mind. Two guys entering their third season, but have not cemented that they are franchise QBs yet. Mitch Trubiksky obviously. I will also say Cam Newton - is he capable of turning his career around, or is he officially entering 'has-been' territory?

I get into stadium design, so I'll be curious to see them I suppose.

Probably a smart move.

Most of the old fast food chains that people talk about that are no longer around disappeared before my time (Burger Chef, Red Barn, etc) so I will go with Rax. I actually preferred them to Arby's. Had a great salad bar. Good milkshakes. 

No interest in living in the South. 

7 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Oh trust me, that would be under the idea that the Chargers would have new ownership.

I'm not talking five years from now. I'm talking a generation from now. Kind of like how the Rams left L.A. in the mid 90s and came back almost 25 years later. 

I thought you said the Big Ten/Pac 12 thing would be the big talking point...:lol:

Most of the old fast food chains that people talk about that are no longer around disappeared before my time (Burger Chef, Red Barn, etc) so I will go with Rax. I actually preferred them to Arby's. Had a great salad bar. Good milkshakes. 

That sounds a bit familiar.  Where around here  (here being Akron/Canton area)  was there a Rax? 

6 hours ago, The Gipper said:

That sounds a bit familiar.  Where around here  (here being Akron/Canton area)  was there a Rax? 

Ravenna had one, closed in late 80s I would guess, replaced by Taco Bell. East Liverpool had one running well into the late 90s.

I think there is one left, in Lancaster, southeast of Columbus.

They will all be integral, OBJ and Landry should dominate more than ever actually.

Mayfield, Trubisky (probably too late) , Minshew, Haskins

No

Good. Don't know how you can go forward with college athletics, they aren't paid employees, too much risk

Burger Chef

Anywhere North of the Carolinas and/or not near a beach.

23 hours ago, The Gipper said:

I agree.

Baker, Burrow, Cam

Sure, waiting for our new stadium

Mixed feelings

Red Barn....Kenny Rogers chicken

Any in California

1.  Statement:    Baker Mayfield,  Nick Chubb, and Austin Hooper  will be the "dominators"  in Stefanski's offense,  more so than WRs  OBJ and Landry.    Your views on this.....biggest problem there's only one football.

2. Which  4-5-6  NFL QBs have the most  "to prove"   this season?.....no doubt Mayfield maybe Brady (think about it)

3. There will be  2 new NFL stadiums this year....In LA and in Las Vegas.    (though....there may be no fans in them).    Are you excited to see them?  .......Eh only to see what $2B buys now in LA.  Will it be among the last mega buck stadiums ?

4. The Big Ten and Pac-12 have shut down their college football seasons.   Good or bad call?  Explain. .....well either one side or the other (players or not players) will look really dumb !

5. What  former fast food chain do you miss   (if any)?....... Someone said Burger Chef loved their big, generous french fries in junior high.  Red Barn good food.

6. What cities in the USA  would you NEVER have a desire to live in? ....... depends on your personal bias, big, big cities/smaller towns, hot/cold locals. Live in Ohio vacation down south in the winter.  Our next door neighbor's kid lives in Manhattan he's been in Ohio for months now.

Interesting comments.

I never miss any of them..ya just can't find a empty one to get to the window fast enough..ok? Can we get more than one Fish & Chips within 40 miles...

Speaking of Fish & Chips.  Arthur Treacher's would be a place. I think that chain, which I liked, is now defunct, isn't it?

f'n burrr COLD cities...Chicago☃️ / the whole dang state of Minnesota.. I once looked down from a plane landing at Laguardia Airport, Queens NY:ph34r:..no f'n way jose

In the words of John Lennon:  Pousse'  Pousse'

I think it's not really relevant. If they get the rushing game going, play action will work all the better. It opens up everything. I just saw that Brady had 13 games where he was under a 100 rating, and that led the NFL. That cannot continue if they want to have a winning record. Chubb running wild and Hoops moving the chains will only aid in OBJ and Landry's success. I think we are going to see more TDs from OBJ.

Baker, for sure. Not Burrows; rookie QBs are virtually never good. Cam, as he desperately needs to show production to get his next big deal. Big Ben, as his contract is up in 2021 and if he wants a mega deal, he will have to prove he has something left and can stay healthy. Dak, as he has everything on the line now. Someone in Chicago? Naw, I don't see either proving they can be the man. 

Not really. The pall cast by the world today diminishes any excitement that a new, state-of-the-art stadium would create, especially empty ones. 

It's not like either conference was going to have a team contending for a championship. I bet most football fans don't care. 

2 that are still around but have deteriorated badly: Wendy's and Burger King. Have you been to a BK lately? They are like they are in a 3rd-world country. Hideous. 

Philly, Youngstown, Buffalo, any in WI, Erie.

1 hour ago, Icecube said:

I think it's not really relevant. If they get the rushing game going, play action will work all the better. It opens up everything. I just saw that Brady had 13 games where he was under a 100 rating, and that led the NFL. That cannot continue if they want to have a winning record. Chubb running wild and Hoops moving the chains will only aid in OBJ and Landry's success. I think we are going to see more TDs from OBJ.

Baker, for sure. Not Burrows; rookie QBs are virtually never good. Cam, as he desperately needs to show production to get his next big deal. Big Ben, as his contract is up in 2021 and if he wants a mega deal, he will have to prove he has something left and can stay healthy. Dak, as he has everything on the line now. Someone in Chicago? Naw, I don't see either proving they can be the man. 

Not really. The pall cast by the world today diminishes any excitement that a new, state-of-the-art stadium would create, especially empty ones. 

It's not like either conference was going to have a team contending for a championship. I bet most football fans don't care. 

2 that are still around but have deteriorated badly: Wendy's and Burger King. Have you been to a BK lately? They are like they are in a 3rd-world country. Hideous. 

Ohio State wouldn’t contend for a Championship?  They could easily be the team most negatively impacted by this shutdown considering they had a Heisman finalist QB returning and various other parts to build on with what many thought was a Championship caliber team last year. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SdBacker80 said:

Ohio State wouldn’t contend for a Championship?  They could easily be the team most negatively impacted by this shutdown considering they had a Heisman finalist QB returning and various other parts to build on with what many thought was a Championship caliber team last year. 

They have to throw in one big 10 team as a contender, OSU being the best of the lot this year. But I'd take LSU, Clemson and Bama over OSU this season, if OSU was playing. Next we will get Penn State fans claiming they had a contender for 2020 as well. I think this was the year Michigan was going to take down OSU if they played. 

• Haha 1

Glad to see others mention Red Barn..you could get Burgers, Fried Chicken, Fish,  might have had a roast beef sandwich.....probably what lead to their demise.  Diversify too much, it's hard to deliver good service and control food costs and quality.  The Big Barney was good.

Another place I liked, Lums.  Beer steamed dogs 3-4 ways, clam strips....it was good, and you could buy a beer there, but it was a fast food joint. Someone mentioned Rax....I liked Rax, but still liked Arbys better.   Anybody remember when you went in to Arbys they had a roast beef or two hanging from chain in a heater box on the front counter?  This is going back, you have to have a little age on you.

Arthur Treachers had good fish and chips.  Way better than Captain D's or Long John Silvers.  That was some good fish.  Looking it up, there are still 3 locations in Ohio.  I might have to find out where.  Still a few in New York and New Jersey.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Icecube said:

They have to throw in one big 10 team as a contender, OSU being the best of the lot this year. But I'd take LSU, Clemson and Bama over OSU this season, if OSU was playing. Next we will get Penn State fans claiming they had a contender for 2020 as well. I think this was the year Michigan was going to take down OSU if they played. 

Next we will get the Michigan Fans (or Michigan Hopefuls) and their annual claim they will take down OSU this year...oh wait. 

I wouldn’t take LSU over OSU in 2020.  I’d probably give a slight edge to OSU over Bama and OSU/Clemson probably a coin flip.  Hope they get a chance to play 

24 minutes ago, SdBacker80 said:

Next we will get the Michigan Fans (or Michigan Hopefuls) and their annual claim they will take down OSU this year...oh wait. 

I wouldn’t take LSU over OSU in 2020.  I’d probably give a slight edge to OSU over Bama and OSU/Clemson probably a coin flip.  Hope they get a chance to play 

I ain't no UM fan, I prefer teams from the best conference (SEC) and Bama. Some maintain that the Big 10 saw the writing on the wall and didn't want to be sacrificial lambs to the SEC again. I'm not sure that is true. 

3 hours ago, Icecube said:

I ain't no UM fan, I prefer teams from the best conference (SEC) and Bama. Some maintain that the Big 10 saw the writing on the wall and didn't want to be sacrificial lambs to the SEC again. I'm not sure that is true. 

In case you didn’t know it Alabama is in the SEC. Hello. And you’re fucking stupid if you think that the Big Ten canceled their season because of competition. Do you think they’re going to give up all that money because they might be afraid They might lose a bowl game somewhere? They don’t play each other during the regular season

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, The Gipper said:

In case you didn’t know it Alabama is in the SEC. Hello. And you’re fucking stupid if you think that the Big Ten canceled their season because of competition. Do you think they’re going to give up all that money because they might be afraid They might lose a bowl game somewhere? They don’t play each other during the regular season

OK, so comprehension isn't your strong point. Fine. I realize AL is in the SEC. 

7 minutes ago, Icecube said:

OK, so comprehension isn't your strong point. Fine. I realize AL is in the SEC. 

MY comprehension?   I am not the one that failed to comprehend that Alabama was in the SEC;  I am not the one that failed to comprehend that the Big Ten canceling their season has fuck all about being afraid of a little competition from a conference  that is too chicken to play them on a regular basis. 

Dutch was right....only you could turn this into a  turd sandwich over question #4.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, The Gipper said:

MY comprehension?   I am not the one that failed to comprehend that Alabama was in the SEC;  I am not the one that failed to comprehend that the Big Ten canceling their season has fuck all about being afraid of a little competition from a conference  that is too chicken to play them on a regular basis. 

Dutch was right....only you could turn this into a  turd sandwich over question #4.

That's not what Dutch said, Twinger. 

Guaranteed this thread will turn into a turd sandwich based solely on Question #4..

Zero mention of me.