Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
MLD Woody

Common Ground - Thread 1 - Term Limits

Recommended Posts

I'm going to try and find things we can all agree on. See what's universal from the far right to the moderately left. 

Attempt 1 - Congressional Term Limits

 

Is everyone in agreement that there should be a limit on the number of times someone can be a Senator or Congressman? 

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve been railing for decades on Congressional term limits

Bad news...Congress would have to draft a bill to set the wheels in motion, and we know those idiots won’t do that.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Canton Dawg said:

I’ve been railing for decades on Congressional term limits

Bad news...Congress would have to draft a bill to set the wheels in motion, and we know those idiots won’t do that.

 

Yep.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Agreed...and line item veto

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Holy hell YES!! Add in the Supreme Court Justices to that list and it's perfect. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Every paid political position should have term limits. It was always meant to be a service, not a career. I’ve never heard a good argument against term limits. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, D Bone said:

Holy hell YES!! Add in the Supreme Court Justices to that list and it's perfect. 

SCJ positions are not political positions. 
 

 

 

 

I couldn’t even type that with a straight face. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well good at least somebody posted about an actual issue. I don't hate the idea of term limits but I'm not in favor at the end of the day. First of all whatever small amount of democracy we have left should mean we can pick whatever asshole we want to represent us. II there would always be a freshman Senator or congress person in office either being led around by the Party Committee or a loose cannon. Third I would guess that the parties would always be in campaign mode oh, even though it's not far from that now. Any of those thoughts make sense to anybody

WSS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, D Bone said:

Holy hell YES!! Add in the Supreme Court Justices to that list and it's perfect. 

Oh right, that too. 

One president getting to fundamentally impact the rule of law in this country based on a death, retirement, etc is dumb.

I'd want them long enough so we're not just constantly flip flopping, but yeah you're right. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MLD Woody said:

Oh right, that too. 

One president getting to fundamentally impact the rule of law in this country based on a death, retirement, etc is dumb.

I'd want them long enough so we're not just constantly flip flopping, but yeah you're right. 

That’s what Steve is getting at with elected positions, I think. I would like to see some kind of limit without having freshman goons every cycle. 
 

SCOTUS needs to get back to what it was intended to do IMO. Interpret law, not create it. 

  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Comeonman said:

That’s what Steve is getting at with elected positions, I think. I would like to see some kind of limit without having freshman goons every cycle. 
 

SCOTUS needs to get back to what it was intended to do IMO. Interpret law, not create it. 

Even though it could bite either side in the ass at some point but the John Marshall idea of if it's not expressly forbidden and the Constitution it's okay.

WSS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Comeonman said:

That’s what Steve is getting at with elected positions, I think. I would like to see some kind of limit without having freshman goons every cycle. 
 

SCOTUS needs to get back to what it was intended to do IMO. Interpret law, not create it. 

Sure, it doesn't need to be a limit of one term. You could do a handful, still have some experience, but not have "lifers" that are there for decades. 

 

Hell, each party could internally have one super congressman that the other elected officials elect that doesn't directly represent a state or district. They can be the "experience" consultant for each party without the day to day responsibilities.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×