THE BROWNS BOARD

Common Ground - Thread 1 - Term Limits

MLD Woody

I'm going to try and find things we can all agree on. See what's universal from the far right to the moderately left. 

Attempt 1 - Congressional Term Limits

Is everyone in agreement that there should be a limit on the number of times someone can be a Senator or Congressman? 

• Upvote 4

7 minutes ago, Canton Dawg said:

I’ve been railing for decades on Congressional term limits

Bad news...Congress would have to draft a bill to set the wheels in motion, and we know those idiots won’t do that.

Yep.

Well good at least somebody posted about an actual issue. I don't hate the idea of term limits but I'm not in favor at the end of the day. First of all whatever small amount of democracy we have left should mean we can pick whatever asshole we want to represent us. II there would always be a freshman Senator or congress person in office either being led around by the Party Committee or a loose cannon. Third I would guess that the parties would always be in campaign mode oh, even though it's not far from that now. Any of those thoughts make sense to anybody

WSS

1 hour ago, D Bone said:

Holy hell YES!! Add in the Supreme Court Justices to that list and it's perfect. 

Oh right, that too. 

One president getting to fundamentally impact the rule of law in this country based on a death, retirement, etc is dumb.

I'd want them long enough so we're not just constantly flip flopping, but yeah you're right. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, MLD Woody said:

Oh right, that too. 

One president getting to fundamentally impact the rule of law in this country based on a death, retirement, etc is dumb.

I'd want them long enough so we're not just constantly flip flopping, but yeah you're right. 

That’s what Steve is getting at with elected positions, I think. I would like to see some kind of limit without having freshman goons every cycle. 

SCOTUS needs to get back to what it was intended to do IMO. Interpret law, not create it. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Comeonman said:

That’s what Steve is getting at with elected positions, I think. I would like to see some kind of limit without having freshman goons every cycle. 

SCOTUS needs to get back to what it was intended to do IMO. Interpret law, not create it. 

Even though it could bite either side in the ass at some point but the John Marshall idea of if it's not expressly forbidden and the Constitution it's okay.

WSS

1 hour ago, Comeonman said:

Sure, it doesn't need to be a limit of one term. You could do a handful, still have some experience, but not have "lifers" that are there for decades. 

Hell, each party could internally have one super congressman that the other elected officials elect that doesn't directly represent a state or district. They can be the "experience" consultant for each party without the day to day responsibilities.