THE BROWNS BOARD

Chip Banks shot

Icecube

Thanks.  It happened a few days ago, no?  Doesn't seem to be much info on it....like motive?   I mean, was it a friendly card game gone bad?   Who's shooting up 3 guys and why?

I still remember wanting to lose my ever loving mind the day Chip got traded to the Chargers 🤬..It was on my birthday in 87, on draft day of April 28th.. the GM than was Paul Accorsi & Marty was the head coach. Accorsi only swamped picks in the 1st & 2nd round to move Banks. When we drafted Chip. Sam was the HC & Marty was the DC. Our GM that picked Chip 3rd was..Peter Hadhazy...Banks stared in a 3-4 system built by Marty.. Till this day.. am still pissed that Chip got traded..It took till Belicheck to arrive in 92, till Accorsi got canned.. Chip Banks never played for the Chargers :o..Chip sat out the 87 season, due to not seeing the offer the Browns had already offered (have we been here before?).. Accorsi felt trading Banks & moving up from pick 24 to pick #5 for LB Mike Junkin & from pick #53 to pick 32 for a center named Mike Rakoczy was a better choice.. Vinnie Testaverde went #1 to TB in 87... 

Good Luck to Chip Banks & his Family🙏...I still own the White & Brown Chip Banks jerseys.. prayers our brother, prayers ☝️  

• Upvote 1

Sunday AM - 56 minutes ago, Atlanta 11 news.   

ATLANTA — Atlanta police say former four-time Cleveland Browns Pro Bowl linebacker Chip Banks is in serious condition following a shooting.

Atlanta police spokeswoman Marla Rooker says officers found three men with apparent gunshot wounds when responding to a shooting in Atlanta on Wednesday afternoon. 

One of the victims, Charles Pharms Jr., was declared dead at the scene, according to Rooker. The other two victims were alert and transported to a local hospital.....police are still investigating.

2 hours ago, gumby73 said:

I still remember wanting to lose my ever loving mind the day Chip got traded to the Chargers 🤬..It was on my birthday in 87, on draft day of April 28th.. the GM than was Paul Accorsi & Marty was the head coach. Accorsi only swamped picks in the 1st & 2nd round to move Banks. When we drafted Chip. Sam was the HC & Marty was the DC. Our GM that picked Chip 3rd was..Peter Hadhazy...Banks stared in a 3-4 system built by Marty.. Till this day.. am still pissed that Chip got traded..It took till Belicheck to arrive in 92, till Accorsi got canned.. Chip Banks never played for the Chargers :o..Chip sat out the 87 season, due to not seeing the offer the Browns had already offered (have we been here before?).. Accorsi felt trading Banks & moving up from pick 24 to pick #5 for LB Mike Junkin & from pick #53 to pick 32 for a center named Mike Rakoczy was a better choice.. Vinnie Testaverde went #1 to TB in 87... 

Good Luck to Chip Banks & his Family🙏...I still own the White & Brown Chip Banks jersey.. prayers our brother, prayers ☝️  

Junkin was supposed to be the bomb. Did he really only last 3 years in the NFL? Banks was the real deal. The Browns could sure use a Banks in his prime right about now. 

https://nypost.com/2020/08/15/former-nfl-star-chip-banks-in-serious-condition-following-shooting/#:~:text=Former Pro Bowl linebacker Chip,pronounced dead at the scene.

"The 60-year-old Banks was one of three victims in the shooting, TMZ reported, with one man pronounced dead at the scene. Police said five or six masked men arrived at the residence, shot a man in the driveway and then went inside to shoot two more before leaving the scene." 

10 minutes ago, D Bone said:

https://nypost.com/2020/08/15/former-nfl-star-chip-banks-in-serious-condition-following-shooting/#:~:text=Former Pro Bowl linebacker Chip,pronounced dead at the scene.

"The 60-year-old Banks was one of three victims in the shooting, TMZ reported, with one man pronounced dead at the scene. Police said five or six masked men arrived at the residence, shot a man in the driveway and then went inside to shoot two more before leaving the scene." 

giphy.gif

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Orion said:

Thanks.  It happened a few days ago, no?  Doesn't seem to be much info on it....like motive?   I mean, was it a friendly card game gone bad?   Who's shooting up 3 guys and why?

There seems to be little to no info on the situation surrounding this... but I doubt it was a friendly card game gone wrong. If anything, it sounds like a drug deal gone wrong. (Absolute speculation on my part, but it would make sense). Who knows, maybe a high stakes card game that someone knew about and there was an attempt to rob them, and shit went south? Hell, I remember a Sopranos episode similar to this. 

• Confused 1

21 minutes ago, D Bone said:

Police said five or six masked men arrived at the residence, shot a man in the driveway and then went inside to shoot two more before leaving the scene." 

Certainly seems like a 'hit'.    

Why would anyone want to live in Atlanta.  I find the concept wholly unappealing.   Same with Dallas/Houston/Phoenix.   Now, the mountain area east of Atlanta.....Galveston...north of Phoenix around Prescott/Sedona...sure,  and maybe Waco, or Abilene in Texas.   But not in those cities. 

Looks like time for a survey.

28 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Why would anyone want to live in Atlanta.  I find the concept wholly unappealing.   Same with Dallas/Houston/Phoenix.   Now, the mountain area east of Atlanta.....Galveston...north of Phoenix around Prescott/Sedona...sure,  and maybe Waco, or Abilene in Texas.   But not in those cities. 

You couldn't pay me money to live anywhere south of the Mason-Dixon Line, so this is all a "moo point" to me. 

1 hour ago, The Gipper said:

Too freaking hot for me we know people who sold everything in Ohio and moved to the gulf side of Florida only to put up with red tide, hurricanes, long 100+ degree heat and many new neighbors in the past 10 years.  Some are returning back to Ohio.

Nice place to visit in the dead of winter.

3 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Prescott and Sedona are the best places in the country to mountain bike. 

8 hours ago, mjp28 said:

Sunday AM - 56 minutes ago, Atlanta 11 news.   

ATLANTA — Atlanta police say former four-time Cleveland Browns Pro Bowl linebacker Chip Banks is in serious condition following a shooting.

Atlanta police spokeswoman Marla Rooker says officers found three men with apparent gunshot wounds when responding to a shooting in Atlanta on Wednesday afternoon. 

One of the victims, Charles Pharms Jr., was declared dead at the scene, according to Rooker. The other two victims were alert and transported to a local hospital.....police are still investigating.

Hmm, "Pharms"....might he be related to old Browns' draftee, LB Jeremiah Pharms (who had serious off field issues)??

Mike

4 hours ago, Canton Mike said:

Hmm, "Pharms"....might he be related to old Browns' draftee, LB Jeremiah Pharms (who had serious off field issues)??

Mike

Yea, isn't that the guy they drafted without doing any background check....and he was under indictment for like drug trafficking and attempted murder or the like.   Le't dig him up:

https://web.archive.org/web/20090630033206/http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2004148820_rbpharms280.html

So, he did a couple years in prison....came out,  spent a couple of years in the Arena League...but caught again doing a crime of some sort. 

Have not seen any articles about him since like  2005....however, see this:

https://www.nfldraftdiamonds.com/2019/05/jeremiah-pharms/

Apparently Pharms has a kid who may be a long shot prospect. 

On 8/16/2020 at 12:19 PM, Dutch Oven said:

You couldn't pay me money to live anywhere south of the Mason-Dixon Line, so this is all a "moo point" to me. 

We got rattlesnakes, copperheads, water moccasins, coral snakes, cactus, and 108 degrees heat this past week. What more could you ask for in life dammit?😁

EDIT: Oh yeah and no rain since the big hail storm at the end of June.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

We got rattlesnakes, copperheads, water moccasins, coral snakes, cactus, and 108 degrees heat this past week. What more could you ask for in life dammit?😁

Don't let anyone fool you: OH has rattlers and copperhead snakes. 

2 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Ohio's Three Venomous Snake Species

The three venomous snakes in Ohio are the Northern Copperhead, the Eastern Massasauga rattlesnake, and the Timber Rattlesnake. (Despite what you may have heard or believed you have seen, to date no cottonmouths/water moccasins have been found in Ohio.)Apr 15, 2020

1 hour ago, DieHardBrownsFan said:
Ohio's Three Venomous Snake Species

The three venomous snakes in Ohio are the Northern Copperhead, the Eastern Massasauga rattlesnake, and the Timber Rattlesnake. (Despite what you may have heard or believed you have seen, to date no cottonmouths/water moccasins have been found in Ohio.)Apr 15, 2020

He wasn't talking about OH. It looks like he was talking about TX. Maybe AZ. 

12 hours ago, DieHardBrownsFan said:
Ohio's Three Venomous Snake Specieswhat it wasThe three venomous snakes in Ohio are the Northern Copperhead, the Eastern Massasauga rattlesnake, and the Timber Rattlesnake. (Despite what you may have heard or believed you have seen, to date no cottonmouths/water moccasins have been found in Ohio.)Apr 15, 2020

Texas Ag was talking about Texas, but you are right about Ohio's "Toxic Trio". One of my fishing buddies is terrified of snakes & screamed "MOCCASIN!" one day while we were on a local pond a couple years ago. I went over & saw a damn big water snake laying by a bridge abutment, told him what it was, that there are no moccasins in Ohio, then I reached down & spooked it into the pond (never was able to lay a hand on it). He didn't go near that bridge the rest of the day & we never saw that snake again!

In fact, the only venomous snake I ever came across was a small (8" or so) massasauga rattler.

Mike

While out on my 18 mile mountain bike rides during the spring, summer and fall months in the SoCal high desert, I play the game "Stick or Snake" for all 18 of them. 

6 minutes ago, D Bone said:

While out on my 18 mile mountain bike rides during the spring, summer and fall months in the SoCal high desert, I play the game "Stick or Snake" for all 18 of them. 

Saw plenty when I was stationed in San Diego.  Not in the city, but in the desert and outside the city.

• Like 1

I get out of the mail truck last Friday. Tote 3 packages down the front sidewalk to the house.. Notice at the corner bush to steps to front door,  🐍 2 foot beige/black reptile with tail end soaking up the heated sidewalk & sun.. The Rest was coiled up in that bush.. Stopped..Dropped & rolled back to the truck, after leaving packages mid sidewalk..Blew my horn for the doorbell & escaped the Adams Family with my life...Dogs I'm cool with..No shoulders? no thanks!  and please call my boss! I can't wait to talk to you about your unknown pet 

• Haha 2