THE BROWNS BOARD

Jets Trade Jamal Adams

MLD Woody

20 hours ago, Gunz41 said:

For those saying how big of an overpay this is, i.e. have to win a SB (Not even saying it is or isn't), context needs to be added.

It really just comes down to the valuing of draft picks over proven players. 

Without that context, saying 2 1sts is a lot. But when those are extremely likely to be late picks it adds some perspective. But to add even more, here are the draft picks of playoff teams who didn't win SB recently (some are from non playoff teams through trades).

2019: Darnell Savage, Andre Dillard, Tutus Howard, Josh Jacobs, Marquise Brown, Montez Sweat, Jonathan Abram, Jerry Tillery, LJ Collier, DeAndre Baker, Kaleb McGary, NKeal Harry

2018: Billy Price, Rahsaan Evans, Isaiah Wynn, DJ Moore, Hayden Hurst, Calvin Ridley, Rashard Penny, Terrell Edmunds, Taven Bryan, Mike Hughes, Sony Michel, Lamar Jackson

2017: Jarrad Davis, Charles Harris, Evan Engram, Gareon Conley, Jabrill Peppers, Tank McKinley, Tredavious White, Taco Charlton, David Njoku, TJ Watt, Reubens Foster, Ryan Ramczyk

2016: Will Fuller, Josh Doctson, Laquon Treadwell, William Jackson, Artie Burns, Paxton Lynch, Kenny Clark, Josh Garnett, Robert Nkemdiche, Vernon Butler, Germain Ifedi

2015: Cedric Ogbuehi, Bud Dupree, Shane Ray, DJ Humphries, Shaq Thompson, Breshad Perriman, Byron Jones, Laken Tomlinson, Phillip Dorsett, Damarious Randall, Stephone Anthony, Malcolm Brown.

4 Pro Bowlers out of 60 players. 

But put it in perspective. Would you trade Peppers and Njoku for Adams? 

My point is that when you just evaluate it as 2 1st round picks without the perspective of when those would likely be or who you more than likely would get with those picks it isn't as simple as SB or total overpay. 

So they are hitching the wagon to Wilson and Adams.  Adams next contract will cost them. Definitely could be worse.

If I were paying out top money it would go Franchise QB, Elite pass rusher, HOF Left tackle, Elite Corner 

When your cap is tied up like it will be tied up  you need draft picks to build depth and cheaper solid starters and maybe even some Pro Bowl guys if you do it really well.   The front office will be operating on a very small margin for error.

The window is now next year and the year after. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, ballpeen said:

I don't see how a safety could possible be worth that much.  Maybe a 1st and 3rd.  

I have liked Adams since his play at LSU but two 1st rounders and a 3rd would have greater impact on your team.

Peter King's take is Seattle rarely drafts up as high as it would take to get this kind of talent THEY want at Safety so they pulled the trigger on it even though some of us disagree with what we think he is worth.

Seattle is who they've been because of how well they have drafted after round 1 inclusive of Russell Wilson and all the studs they've put in their secondary (outside of drafting Earl Thomas at #14 overall). I'm not the first to mention that; but it makes for a very friendly salary cap when you get that many YAHTZEES after round 1.    Even Pro Bowl LBer Bobby Wagner wasn't drafted until 47th overall in round 2. Another guy that frequented Pro Bowls in Seattle was Richard Sherman, who they didn't draft until round 5. Safety Kam Chancellor was also drafted in round 5.

39 minutes ago, Flugel said:

Peter King's take is Seattle rarely drafts up as high as it would take to get this kind of talent THEY want at Safety so they pulled the trigger on it even though some of us disagree with what we think he is worth.

Seattle is who they've been because of how well they have drafted after round 1 inclusive of Russell Wilson and all the studs they've put in their secondary (outside of drafting Earl Thomas at #14 overall). I'm not the first to mention that; but it makes for a very friendly salary cap when you get that many YAHTZEES after round 1.    Even Pro Bowl LBer Bobby Wagner wasn't drafted until 47th overall in round 2. Another guy that frequented Pro Bowls in Seattle was Richard Sherman, who they didn't draft until round 5. Safety Kam Chancellor was also drafted in round 5.

All true - they scouted well and had good fortune but most of those guys are gone so can they do it again or even to a smaller degree?  

7 hours ago, gumby73 said:

Gunz, your a sharp football fan.. Look at this draft history & tell us Carroll or John Schneider really care about losing two first round picks in the 25-30th range.. https://pro-football-reference.com/teams/sea/draft.htm 👀 They will make hay, about the 4th they get back...

a) I see a 32 year old QB signed thru 2023.. b.) A 68 year old 100-59-1 head coach wanting to win now &  3) a new owner replacing Paul Allen....Saying "screw the picks" our window might be closing in the NFC & Adams surely fits their Defense...  

Carroll has a history & staff of coaching kids up & it don't matter where they come from... And were still waiting Browns... 

Uh did you only read one line of what I wrote? My ENTIRE premise here is that just saying giving up 2 1sts doesn't mean a huge overpay or that it would be if they don't win a SB.

8 hours ago, Gunz41 said:

I guess for me...

It's almost like a 'third rail' topic.  People feel strongly on either side of the fence.  In good conscious, I can't argue against your points. (...and no, I wouldn't trade Myles)  Perhaps it's from years of having such a pathetic roster...holes everywhere.  Needing draft picks, because FA talent tended to want to avoid us.  And then Dorsey came in and did just what you're stating, he brought Landry and others in kicking and screaming (he traded picks for them).  I thought it was brilliant.  And he followed it up with drafting Mayfield to Dot The 'I' on his attempt to demonstrate how you build a winner.

I'll help your cause some more.  I love old sayings, because they don't get to BE old sayings without having some truth to them:   'A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush'

....school is still out on OBJ trade...

15 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

All true - they scouted well and had good fortune but most of those guys are gone so can they do it again or even to a smaller degree?  

Probably; but as Russell Wilson gets older - the 1 area they're going to need to improve at drafting is OL.   They've been very fortunate he has eluded injury behind very suspect protections without many superstars to throw to.

22 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

Worth pointing out, that the primary corps of the LOB was a 1st round safety, a 5th round safety, a 5th found corner and a 6th round corner.

They have a recent history of taking DB's mid to late round and molding them into success.

Since I heard these news, this was the thing I was thinking about. Whether they like it or not, now they're set to believe they'll draft well in defense once again.