THE BROWNS BOARD

Keys to the Browns upcoming successful seasons - secret weapons

calfoxwc

another "secret weapon" is the offensive line depth. The Browns are paying serious attention to it.

https://www.brownsnation.com/browns-sign-guard-jovahn-fair-add-interior-offensive-line-depth/

The current Browns KNOW the offensive line woes of the past teams. The offensive line is the engine of the offense.

You can have the most expensive wheels, steering wheel, mirrors transmission, etc, but if the engine falters, the whole car falters.

Another secret weapon, perhaps more secret than the others....

is Harrison Bryant, TE, fourth round. He was a steal in the fourth round - in what

I believe is the closest to brilliant full draft for the Browns in many years.

I also believe that teams don't go to the superbowl without nailing their recent drafts.

If Njoku doesn't have the work ethic to fix his dropsies problem, Bryant could end up

seeing a lot of playing time down the road his first year.

https://www.brownsnation.com/which-browns-late-round-rookie-has-the-best-chance-for-success-in-2020/

• Upvote 1

Harrison Bryant played at a smaller college -- well, it doesn't matter. He was a GEM in the fourth round.

Fourth round secret weapon - has soft hands, CATCHES the ball.

HIghlights are fun to watch:

Catches in traffic, is rough and tough, loves the game...we'll see.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

Harrison Bryant, TE, fourth round. He was a steal in the fourth round

...I'm not ready to call a mid-draft player from a small school a weapon.  Hopefully he can be taught to be a decent blocker.  We need someone who does both well, catches and blocks.

I wish for Bryant to be a weapon.  

3 hours ago, Bob806 said:

Donovan Peoples-Jones could be a great find. Return man, good hands. 

...I thought the knock on him was his drops.  And an average route runner at best.  I think Mel Kiper said, 'He looks good in a uniform.'  :)  He's not known as a blocker and we know Stef wants his receivers to block for that wide zone run.  I think it's gonna be rough for him this year.  He's gotta be taught to be a crisp route runner in order to get open in the nfl.  He's gotta learn to block.  Gotta learn an nfl playbook.  In this wacky COVID preseason with no games and few 'real' practices.  Whew!  It's a tough year to be a 'project' player!  -  He's got good size, I wish for him to become a weapon. 

4 hours ago, Orion said:

...I thought the knock on him was his drops.  And an average route runner at best.  I think Mel Kiper said, 'He looks good in a uniform.'  :)  He's not known as a blocker and we know Stef wants his receivers to block for that wide zone run.  I think it's gonna be rough for him this year.  He's gotta be taught to be a crisp route runner in order to get open in the nfl.  He's gotta learn to block.  Gotta learn an nfl playbook.  In this wacky COVID preseason with no games and few 'real' practices.  Whew!  It's a tough year to be a 'project' player!  -  He's got good size, I wish for him to become a weapon. 

yep, if he works hard... it might be tough to keep him on the roster to only be a return man. But, he could be terrific at that.

11 minutes ago, calfoxwc said:

yep, if he works hard... it might be tough to keep him on the roster to only be a return man. But, he could be terrific at that.

He was drafted.  I think he gets this year.....unless he's total crap.

14 hours ago, Orion said:

...I thought the knock on him was his drops.  And an average route runner at best.  I think Mel Kiper said, 'He looks good in a uniform.'  :)  He's not known as a blocker and we know Stef wants his receivers to block for that wide zone run.  I think it's gonna be rough for him this year.  He's gotta be taught to be a crisp route runner in order to get open in the nfl.  

I think we may have a toss-up on the best Browns mid-round pick? Peoples or Bryant.. https://brownsnation.com/why-did-donovan-peoples-jones-drop-to-the-sixth-round/  Peoples has the best two tutors in Landry & OBJ to learn from his faults. But the physical tools can't be packed in his lunchbox.. Both should bring much needed vertical size to the redzone.. Peeps Jones jumped a 44.5" vertical from a stand still at the combine👀 .. Chuck it up & go get it! 🏈  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Icecube said:

Gip thinks Peeps is a better prospect than Chase Claypool. Too bad he won't actually bet on it. 

I did not say that corncunthole.  I said DPJ's  production in college is ever so incrementally less than Claypool's had been,  (plus the fact that Claypool played 4 years opposed to 3 for Peeps so that makes the comparison even more difficult).  I also said that Claypool goddam good and well better be considered a better prospect than Peeps because he was drafted only like  140 places above DPJ.  

So,  OK, sure.   For a hot fudge sundae, I will say that 5 years from now Peeps will turn out to have just as productive career as Claypool. 

Call me in 5 years. 

• Haha 1

interesting - yesterday's update ...Harrison Bryant is turning heads at camp, and Peoples-Jones is making a

case for himself here and there.

https://www.brownsnation.com/te-harrison-bryant-is-turning-heads-at-browns-training-camp/

• Like 1

On 8/15/2020 at 2:53 PM, The Gipper said:

I did not say that corncunthole.  I said DPJ's  production in college is ever so incrementally less than Claypool's had been,  (plus the fact that Claypool played 4 years opposed to 3 for Peeps so that makes the comparison even more difficult).  I also said that Claypool goddam good and well better be considered a better prospect than Peeps because he was drafted only like  140 places above DPJ.  

So,  OK, sure.   For a hot fudge sundae, I will say that 5 years from now Peeps will turn out to have just as productive career as Claypool. 

Call me in 5 years. 

Were you going to take me up on this bet?

Hd Waiting GIF by moodman - Find & Share on GIPHY

• Haha 1

On 8/23/2020 at 10:26 AM, calfoxwc said:

interesting - yesterday's update ...Harrison Bryant is turning heads at camp, and Peoples-Jones is making a

case for himself here and there.

https://www.brownsnation.com/te-harrison-bryant-is-turning-heads-at-browns-training-camp/

We need some good news because there really hasn't been much. I've said it before and I'll say it again, the teams who aren't implementing new systems are going to absolutely dominate IMO. This year was significantly shortened and the preseason plain doesn't exist. Guess who we play first? We play the team with the most galvanized identity in the league...the Ravens. They know exactly what they want to do, how to do it, and they won't be trying to learn new things. 

Conversely, every single day I read about our beloved Browns it's more bad news about the offense. Yesterday they could hardly complete a pass with the top 6 DBs out or injured! I realize the defense is always ahead of the offense, but it's getting a little more urgent. To be fair, we haven't had that many practices, we lost a padded practice with the recent covid scare, and we still have 3 weeks before Baltimore. But guess what? The Ravens don't care about being fair. They won't feel bad about us not having a typical offseason to install our new shit. 

We're going to lean on the running game early, and that's totally fine with me. But to do that, we can't be down 20 points. We need some good offensive news next week or it's gonna get messy. I REALLY don't like reading about Baker sailing throws high still...that can't happen again. And Jesus, please no more injuries, ok? 

31 minutes ago, jiggins7919 said:

We need some good news because there really hasn't been much. I've said it before and I'll say it again, the teams who aren't implementing new systems are going to absolutely dominate IMO. This year was significantly shortened and the preseason plain doesn't exist. Guess who we play first? We play the team with the most galvanized identity in the league...the Ravens. They know exactly what they want to do, how to do it, and they won't be trying to learn new things. 

Conversely, every single day I read about our beloved Browns it's more bad news about the offense. Yesterday they could hardly complete a pass with the top 6 DBs out or injured! I realize the defense is always ahead of the offense, but it's getting a little more urgent. To be fair, we haven't had that many practices, we lost a padded practice with the recent covid scare, and we still have 3 weeks before Baltimore. But guess what? The Ravens don't care about being fair. They won't feel bad about us not having a typical offseason to install our new shit. 

We're going to lean on the running game early, and that's totally fine with me. But to do that, we can't be down 20 points. We need some good offensive news next week or it's gonna get messy. I REALLY don't like reading about Baker sailing throws high still...that can't happen again. And Jesus, please no more injuries, ok? 

I didn't know it til just now- but I posted that Greedy is hurt now, might? miss time.... I'll delete it if it's already been said...

A lot of us? would have felt the Browns would have a great chance at winning the division...but with the significant injuries..

I have to wonder now. But if any HC can adjust and still win - it will be Stefanski I think.

"secret weapons" will play a far bigger role in the Browns - given the injuries.

Stefanski is just an inspiring guy - a good press conference - (Chubb is back, etc)

https://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/kevin-stefanski-jedrick-wills-jr-is-progressing-every-day

• Like 1

3 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

I didn't know it til just now- but I posted that Greedy is hurt now, might? miss time.... I'll delete it if it's already been said..

Greedy is definitely missing a good amount of time, we just don't know HOW much. 

21 hours ago, The Gipper said:

What’s his problem?

Shoulder injury. Nobody is saying exactly what it is, but it's not good. 

• Thanks 1

On 8/27/2020 at 2:40 PM, jiggins7919 said:

Shoulder injury. Nobody is saying exactly what it is, but it's not good. 

Well, now they're saying he's "truly day to day". 

That's INCREDIBLE news! 

I guess i really never caught this connection early on?

TE Harrison Bryant at Florida Atlantic was coached by Charlie Weiss jr..That is the son of Pats blowhard... Charlie Weiss Sr. now on NFL radio.. While traveling to work this past week, I heard Charlie Sr. compare Harrison Bryant as a combo of Mark Bravro & Zach Ertz... Charlie rarely thinks highly of the Browns in any season..but this season, Charlie Sr. really liked the drafting of HB by AB... 

We hear rookie's may not see much playing time due to lack of prep time?... or just Hang your hopes on seeing?     Wills, Harrison Bryant & Nick Harris 🤞

1 hour ago, jiggins7919 said:

Well, now they're saying he's "truly day to day". 

That's INCREDIBLE news! 

"But aren't we all"....ESPN'S Chris Berman's famous line.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gumby73 said:

I guess i really never caught this connection early on?

TE Harrison Bryant at Florida Atlantic was coached by Charlie Weiss jr..That is the son of Pats blowhard... Charlie Weiss Sr. now on NFL radio.. While traveling to work this past week, I heard Charlie Sr. compare Harrison Bryant as a combo of Mark Bravro & Zach Ertz... Charlie rarely thinks highly of the Browns in any season..but this season, Charlie Sr. really liked the drafting of HB by AB... 

We hear rookie's may not see much playing time due to lack of prep time?... or just Hang your hopes on seeing?     Wills, Harrison Bryant & Nick Harris 🤞

Apparently, Wills is a given at LT. Harris is a possibility at OG ? or center. and Harrison has been turning heads in training camp like crazy, going high for catching the ball...he's serious business. I think he's a huge steal. Word has it that Njoku is having a bad camp.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, calfoxwc said:

Apparently, Wills is a given at LT. Harris is a possibility at OG ? or center. and Harrison has been turning heads in training camp like crazy, going high for catching the ball...he's serious business. I think he's a huge steal. Word has it that Njoku is having a bad camp.

I'm completely floored by Harrison Bryant. It's one thing to make a handful of catches in practice, but apparently he's been torching people from the beginning and still turning it on. I also like Carlson, who is another receiving TE that will be tough to get rid of. Carlson is the guy who effectively ended that Steelers game last year by catching a very difficult TD. 

One of the studs of training camp has been Austin Hooper, which is GREAT news for us. We'll be running a bunch of two TE sets, so having Harrison Bryant turning into a viable threat is a serious boon to our attack. We're going to be pretty tough to stop if we can get these pieces working together. 

I can see us running a TON of boot-action short passes to our TEs and to Kareem Hunt. Hunt catching a 3 yard boot pass can easily turn into a big play. 

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, jiggins7919 said:

I can see us running a TON of boot-action short passes to our TEs and to Kareem Hunt. Hunt catching a 3 yard boot pass can easily turn into a big play. 

Do you think Chubb gets the vast majority of rushes, while Hunt plays the "Duke Johnson" role again (a few carries, but used more as a 3rd down back who catches the ball more than runs it), or do you see Hunt being a true 1A to Chubb's 1 (where he plays a full series for every two series Chubb is in for)? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, calfoxwc said:

Apparently, Wills is a given at LT. maybe Not* after what I just watched 👀... Will's can't drop kick to catch up to a outside rusher yet...thou... he can run block at this level

Browns rotating Alex Taylor and Kendall Lamm at first team RT. Conklin seems fine on the sideline.  will he see LT snaps? paid like one..

17m
  •  
  •  
  •  

Harris is a possibility at OG ? or center.   RG maybe?.... but he's not ready to start either, for neither

and Harrison has been turning heads in training camp like crazy, going high for catching the ball...he's serious business. I think he's a huge steal. showed Great hands in traffic today

Word has it that Njoku is having a bad camp. not today..No joke was the best TE1 & 2 on the field...

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Do you think Chubb gets the vast majority of rushes, while Hunt plays the "Duke Johnson" role again (a few carries, but used more as a 3rd down back who catches the ball more than runs it), or do you see Hunt being a true 1A to Chubb's 1 (where he plays a full series for every two series Chubb is in for)? 

That is a terrific question and not one that likely has an answer. What I mean is, every game could be different. Apparently Hunt has looked otherworldly in camp, and the struggle now is to figure out how to utilize both our talented runners. Making it more fuzzy is the fact that Hunt absolutely excels in the wide zone rush attack, which is precisely what we will run. 

If I had to GUESS, I would think it will look more like your first scenario with Hunt being the traditional 3rd down back and Chubb getting the lion's share of the carries, but there's something to remember, and that's the fact this administration didn't draft Chubb. They obviously love the man, but if they think Hunt delivers more bang for the buck they'll play him, I have no doubt. And as good as Chubb is near the goal line, Kareem Hunt is on a different level from virtually anyone else in the world. He's so quick running or catching it and inside the 5 yard line will be anyone's guess. Fantasy wise, they're both going to take from the other.