THE BROWNS BOARD

Keys to the Browns upcoming successful seasons - secret weapons

calfoxwc

not much Browns news - but let's look at some super secret weapons that will make a huge

difference in the Browns now - collectively - it means serious football wins for the Browns.

First off, one the most secret and admirable, er...and amazing secret weapons is...

the Scottish Hammer.

Here's a video about his workouts:

• Thanks 1

he is really getting noticed - not as much a secret weapon now, I guess.

Raider article had him #4 of the top five kickers they will face.

Four?

Much ado about a punter.  But I WILL say this, after he kicks the ball, you've gotta BLOCK him.  He puts a new spin on the saying, "He's only got the punter to beat."

I liked Colquitt, but once I saw this guy I was fearful we were going to let him go.  Give it another season or two and the Hammer will be a pro bowl guy for many years.

Great kid.

• Thanks 1

My friend the former NFL player likes to tease his old roommate, punter Steve O'Neal (who owns the longest net punt record of 98 yds.), because when they are out together Tommy often gets recognized since he has a Superbowl ring on. He introduces Steve as a former punter and makes it clear he really wasn't a "former player".😂 Steve often says he developed the art of appearing to cover his own punts, but never really making any contact with anyone. As a former SWC 200m high hurdler, he was able to do that quite well.😁

1 hour ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Read the first fan comment in this post^^ and am truly no doctor, (Hoorta?) but if true? the nfl makes 1 choice & good luck changing it..

We need to get moving on with finding a body that can hold & punt..32 teams & 38 punters have a contract in the NFL..Waiviers? Falcons-Matt Bosher.. KC-Dustin Colquitt👀.. Jets-Lac Edwards... are your top 3 freebies with good average punt distance.. It's time for Gillan's agent, to deal with the nfl testing procedures..   

another secret weapon - Higgins. No, not kidding - a ton of attention will be paid to Landry and Beckham.....

and HIggins CATCHES the ball when it is his turn. A lot of the problems last year have been fixed - by replacing the goofy head coach with the Real Deal HC.

• Upvote 2

another secret weapon - might not see a lot of playing time...DREW STANTON.

As a mentor to Baker - it's a terrific fit -

https://dawgpounddaily.com/2019/08/20/daily-dawg-tags-drew-stanton-cleveland-browns-secret-weapon/

“Drew is a really smart guy,’’ said Ratley. “I don’t think you understand how smart Drew really is. Drew will tell you something that’s going to work and that thing works. So Bake literally learns from him, so you’ve got to think of it in that kind of way, like Bake’s going to be dangerous.’’

Mayfield has quickly shown he has the arm talent to pick apart NFL defenses. The next step for him in his career is to quickly diagnose a defense and their coverages. With the help of Stanton, Mayfield could develop that trait quicker than usual, making him an even better and dangerous quarterback in 2019 and beyon

Is Cal all right?^^     Is this  just Fantasy? ^^ is Cal caught in a Landslide?^^    or escaping from reality?     

Cal, Drew Stanton is now a free agent..Polly board approved to run with Joe Biden...  ((somebody had too))

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, calfoxwc said:

another secret weapon - might not see a lot of playing time...DREW STANTON.

He's not on our roster.  We signed Case Keenum.  Hopefully Stanton made a lasting impression.  Wanna sign him as assistant QB quality coach?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, calfoxwc said:

another secret weapon - Higgins. No, not kidding - a ton of attention will be paid to Landry and Beckham.....

and HIggins CATCHES the ball when it is his turn. A lot of the problems last year have been fixed - by replacing the goofy head coach with the Real Deal HC.

See the survey. I predicted that Higgins would lead the team in TD catches

oops on Stanton, my bad.

4 hours ago, Orion said:

He's not on our roster.  We signed Case Keenum.  Hopefully Stanton made a lasting impression.  Wanna sign him as assistant QB quality coach?

I forgot, dammit. lol

make that - Case Keenum is the secret weapon, for the same reasons - he was IN Washington - knows the offense, will help Baker immensely, and can step in and run the offense if Baker gets banged up or gets the flu or ...something.

• Like 1

On 7/29/2020 at 9:49 PM, Orion said:

Much ado about a punter.  But I WILL say this, after he kicks the ball, you've gotta BLOCK him.  He puts a new spin on the saying, "He's only got the punter to beat."

I donno, give me a QB who throws at a 65% completion rate, has double the TDs over ints before I get excited about a punter. How often does a punter win games?

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Unsympathetic said:

How quickly you all forget the legend of Tom Tupa, who scored the first 2-point conversion in NFL history.. for Cleveland.  He was our punter and QB3.

Or Steve Cox, the punter who in 1984 kicked the longest field goal in Browns history - 60 yards. 

1 hour ago, Unsympathetic said:

How quickly you all forget the legend of Tom Tupa, who scored the first 2-point conversion in NFL history.. for Cleveland.  He was our punter and QB3.

I googled Tupa toupee and got this instead.

https://www.cnn.com/videos/world/2019/07/17/man-arrested-cocaine-toupee-drug-smuggler-spain-es-vpx.cnn

7 hours ago, Unsympathetic said:

I always watched the career of Tom Tupa the Cleveland kid that played a long time just punting and as a backup QB and of course his 3 two point conversions while at Cleveland.

He even made the pro bowl once as a punter and a former Ohio State Buckeye !  Oh yeah !

On 8/8/2020 at 10:00 PM, Orion said:

I'm quite curious too see what our new coach(s) make of him.  

Am going to attach "the new guy" to the above post^^... Just image the story-line for a moment 🤔. We traded Austin Corbett to the Team that took a chance on this college walk-on like myself as a UDFA.. He had no Combine. Nor Pro day, due to a shoulder injury at the time of events. I still think he will out preform Austin Corbett as a Cleveland Brown? and Somehow, Cam Erving can still find work.. Callahan may use the Practice Squad root? But i don't care and I'm a big fan of the UnderDawgs!   

https://testudotimes.com/maryland-terps-football/2017/4/25/15417286/football-nfl-draft-profile-ot-michael-dunn-day-3  Put the Camp Pads on & go Play big fella!!   

• Upvote 1

On 8/9/2020 at 6:50 PM, Icecube said:

I donno, give me a QB who throws at a 65% completion rate, has double the TDs over ints before I get excited about a punter. How often does a punter win games?

There is a strong correlation between field position and expected added points. 

Punters may not "win" games themselves, but the contribution adds up over time when you flip field position.   Old say goes - "game of inches".

My secret weapon was Billings, but now he's opted out =(   

Next on that list for me would be Elliot and god knows whatever bigs that want to get nasty on the interior.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

There is a strong correlation between field position and expected added points. 

Punters may not "win" games themselves, but the contribution adds up over time when you flip field position.   Old say goes - "game of inches".

My secret weapon was Billings, but now he's opted out =(   

Next on that list for me would be Elliot and god knows whatever bigs that want to get nasty on the interior.

I agree, to a degree every inch matters, unless you're the Chiefs and can erase a 28 point deficit and win by 21 going away. Then, yea, a QB can erase a punter's production. 😁

9 hours ago, Icecube said:

I agree, to a degree every inch matters, unless you're the Chiefs and can erase a 28 point deficit and win by 21 going away. Then, yea, a QB can erase a punter's production. 😁

A punter can be your defense's best friend pinning the other team inside the 20, 10 or 5 yard line.

A lot of coaches college and pro know the value of the "hidden yard game" one was Jim Tressel both at YSU and OSU he won national championships at both.

When you think about the GOAT NFL punters the names just pop up in your mind.  They like GOAT FG kickers are worth every penny of being the least paid but most dependable players on the team.

Something like long snappers, special teams guys, assistant coaches and others who just do their jobs.....everytime.

• Upvote 1