THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns Training Camp 2020

gumby73

23 hours ago, gumby73 said:

Drew Forbes-- Drew was on the roster longer than 3 weeks in 2019.. If Forbes was considered high risk? He's entitled to 350K.. if no high risk? 150K..  

Forbes agent statement.. https://cleveland.com/browns/2020/07/browns-guard-drew-forbes-opted-out-for-a-medical-reason-and-grappled-with-it-for-several-days-agent-says.html 

fair enough..good luck Drew  

The Cleveland Browns have made the following roster moves:

Waived (4):   WR Tony Brown,    LB Jermaine Grace,   DE George Obinna,   DT Justin Zimmer (non-football injury)

The Browns active roster is currently at 80 players.

-----------

We don't need no stinking 90 players!  This is a peculiar year.  New coaches installing new systems.  Deprived of OTA's.  Lost TC time to COVID testing and sitting around waiting for results.  They just don't have the time to teach and evaluate 90 guys while installing systems.  They've gotta be at 80 before the pads go on anyway...let's be at 80...if someone that you like gets cut somewhere you can bring him in.

14 minutes ago, gumby73 said:

Thought both he and OBJ were all over any injury issues lingering from last year?  :wacko:

31 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Thought both he and OBJ were all over any injury issues lingering from last year?  :wacko:

Obj got his surgery done right after tossing lute around in the LSU locker room..Jarvis was with him, but waited a few weeks longer still deciding.. Bone chip fragments were cleaned away from his hip joint area.. nothing biggie ..Maintenance & tune up..Juice we be ready to bless'em Week 1.. but I did not realize he had to play his own home nurse though 👩‍🔬

On 7/29/2020 at 4:55 PM, Orion said:

The Cleveland Browns have placed G Drew Forbes and T Drake Dorbeck on the reserve/opt-out list*. In addition, the club placed TE Pharaoh Brown on active/PUP. 

I normally try to stay away from teams cutting players. But with 2 lineman off the roster. And former Saints starting RG, now FA Larry Warford is opting out..The Jets have just cut their starting RG Brian Winters. He just turned 29. Played college at Kent State. From Hudson,Ohio..526 snaps, 2 penalties & 1 sack allowed in 2019.. Did we pass on a possible trade call? Waiting on the Jets to have to cut him?..7M left on 1 year left.. We don't have a 6'4 320 RG that can pull on our roster like Brian Winters.. and he won't be without a team very long.. It's not easy playing in Green ✈️🐸 

• Like 1

Jamie Gillan is back.😊 Garrett Gilbert to Covid reserve.😷 Karl Joesph(foot) goes to PUP list.🤕 RB Brian Herrien was Waived.:mellow: Brian Winters goes to Bills:(..

https://brownszone.com/2020/08/03/punter-jamie-gillan-activated-from-covid-19-list-no-3-qb-garrett-gilbert-placed-on-it/   

Final player Opt-out is Thursday 4PM/Schefter

New CBA deal resolved  https://nfl.com/news/opt-out-deadline-likely-thursday-later-choices-will-be-available    

On 7/27/2020 at 6:33 AM, gumby73 said:

6 NFL players listed on reserve Covid 19 list.... 2 of 6 are Browns  https://nfl.com/news/six-players-placed-on-reserve-covid-19-list    

Hilliard & Moffatt return off of Covid reserve..  Garrett Gilbert & Ja'marcus Bradley remain on Covid reserve ..

On 7/27/2020 at 8:14 PM, gumby73 said:

Updated opt out list^^..Thursday 4PM deadline..

DT Andrew Billings opted out earlier today. Becoming the 50th player to do so... 

9 hours ago, Orion said:

I was kinda' counting on him to help us.

Billings by far is our biggest opt out to date.. 1 year 3.5M rolled to cap..Timmy Jernigan or Snacks Harrison caught my eye as FA DT's still available..I'm now seeing G Colby Gossett has opt'd out late last night (high risk).. Am not sure what teams are waiting on? from roster 80? 16 will go to PS..Each team will only toss 10-11 players into the dumpster diving season.. 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, gumby73 said:

Hilliard & Moffatt return off of Covid reserve..  Garrett Gilbert & Ja'marcus Bradley remain on Covid reserve ..

Updated opt out list^^..Thursday 4PM deadline..

DT Andrew Billings opted out earlier today. Becoming the 50th player to do so... 

I guess that means the Jordan Elliott, or is that Elliot Jordan.....will get a bigger role. 

9 hours ago, gumby73 said:

G Colby Gossett has opt'd out late last night (high risk)

I'm assuming that the majority of opt outs would be linemen.  Offensive & defensive.

I think, if we have a season, we may see RB's do rather well.  Defensive players will be making more solo tackles, and RB's breaking solo tackles, because some guys will want to stay away from getting involved in gang tackles.

30 minutes ago, Orion said:

I'm assuming that the majority of opt outs would be linemen.  Offensive & defensive.

I think, if we have a season, we may see RB's do rather well.  Defensive players will be making more solo tackles, and RB's breaking solo tackles, because some guys will want to stay away from getting involved in gang tackles.

You really think in the heat of the moment that defensive players will shy away from making a tackle if other players are there already?

47 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

You really think in the heat of the moment that defensive players will shy away from making a tackle if other players are there already?

Yes.

In recent years I've seen more and more of it.  What are they calling it?  Career decisions?  (or something)   I think there would be more of it should they play this season.

34 minutes ago, Orion said:

Yes.

In recent years I've seen more and more of it.  What are they calling it?  Career decisions?  (or something)   I think there would be more of it should they play this season.

I never thought of this, but now that you've mentioned it, I'll definitely be looking to see if this is true. 

3 hours ago, Orion said:

I think once teams get to pad's? The new Oakley visor will be a real-option in the trenches at most camps..these are Hog Molly made & approved..Skill guys handling the football? not so much..but Russ Wilson is giving the visor a good workout in Seattle..   

11 hours ago, The Gipper said:

I guess that means the Jordan Elliott, or is that Elliot Jordan.....will get a bigger role. 

Elliot Jordan ain't ready for any bigger role than 10-12 snaps imho..Think what Pittsburgh & Ravens OL will do to this kid? :ph34r:...Elliott's game tape ain't awful.. But* Mr.Jordan needs some pro coaching.. tuning up his use of his powerful hands/arms.. While doing it? In the space of a phone booth, with better take offs.   Imo.. he might have the use of Xavier Cooper in his rookie season..

Edit--I'd call, taking on Earl Campbell one on one a Career decision 😤... Derrick Henry or Nick Chubb? that's your Business Decision...   

1 hour ago, gumby73 said:

--I'd call, taking on Earl Campbell one on one a Career decision 😤

lol

I hope you & Dutch, many others I'm sure, are right that once the game pads get on, it's all football all the time.  But the back of my mind tells me there might be a COVID affect....perhaps in lopsided score games...or towards the end of the season (should they get that far).  In reality, we've witnessed changes in the game.  RB's running out of bounds.  They never use to do that.  They would always put their shoulder down and take on the defender, deliver the blow so to speak.  -  I don't really blame them for skipping OB.  Unless there's a huge need for that extra yard, save the body for next time.

Somewhat quiet day for Browns news.. QB Garrett Gilbert did return from Covid reserve list.. 

And Welcome Back Players President JC Tretter !!   Good Stuff & Congrats! 👶    

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, gumby73 said:

I think once teams get to pad's? The new Oakley visor will be a real-option in the trenches at most camps..these are Hog Molly made & approved..Skill guys handling the football? not so much..but Russ Wilson is giving the visor a good workout in Seattle..   

Elliot Jordan ain't ready for any bigger role than 10-12 snaps imho..Think what Pittsburgh & Ravens OL will do to this kid? :ph34r:...Elliott's game tape ain't awful.. But* Mr.Jordan needs some pro coaching.. tuning up his use of his powerful hands/arms.. While doing it? In the space of a phone booth, with better take offs.   Imo.. he might have the use of Xavier Cooper in his rookie season..

Edit--I'd call, taking on Earl Campbell one on one a Career decision 😤... Derrick Henry or Nick Chubb? that's your Business Decision...   

Well, with Billings choosing to opt out....what other options do the Browns have for depth on the DL.   You have   Garrett, Vernon, Richardson and Ogunjobi,   and behind there is Clayborn, Jordan,  Ekuale.   So...he has to at least be a rotation guy. 

9 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Well, with Billings choosing to opt out....what other options do the Browns have for depth on the DL.    

I think i would call it? having a John Dorsey trade hangover 🤭 JD traded picks to lock down Landry, OBJ, Vernon, Taywan Taylor & W.Teller.. Berry has done this ONCE landing a FB Andy Janovich...Meanwhile, we watch a Calais Campbell go to the Ravens for a 4th..Jurrell Casey a 7th..Chris Wormley a 7th..Gronk a 4th..Trent Williams a 5th & 3rd🤔..We just lost 3 O-Lineman in depth & Bryan Winters goes to the Bills.. for FRee? Nah! the Jets had to make some trade calls..

Anywho? Depth Charts after the starters will really matter to all teams if a Covid season is played...and like some? The Browns back-up depth at several positions could use some upgrades. And not only pay adjustments..

Barry's group, needs to get their pencils out their pocket protectors & get to work..We might can count on playing Wills (somewhere)? & Delpit getting some rookie reps..  

BTw..Good Morning! and I woke up feelin Cranky!    

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

16 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Well, with Billings choosing to opt out....what other options do the Browns have for depth on the DL.   You have   Garrett, Vernon, Richardson and Ogunjobi,   and behind there is Clayborn, Jordan,  Ekuale.   So...he has to at least be a rotation guy. 

That is about it for now.  We may look at a free agent, and then later we have camp cuts.

• Upvote 1

At this point, unless 32 teams have screwed up, pretty much everybody worth a flip is signed.  All teams have good scouting departments.  They know who has a chance to play.

If I was in charge, I would rank the top 10 D lines in the league, both for  starters and depth, and when they start releasing D line players, I look to pick them up.  Just because you can't make a team with 4 quality starters and 3 really good back-ups doesn't mean you can't make mine.

Same with guards since we are looking for a couple of them.

Building the bottom of the roster is as important as building the top of the roster.

66 total NFL Opt Outs... https://nfl.com/news/list-of-nfl-players-to-opt-out-of-2020-season  1) Pats with 8   2.) Browns with 5  3.) Jets with 4  4) Seven teams with 3

Drew Forbes, Drake Dorbeck, Malcolm Pridgeon, Colby Gossett, 4 O-line.. 1 DL Andrew Billings... Good Luck & respect your choice..

To date.. 56 players have tested positive for Covid-19..

Team field drills should begin mid August.. 9-5 Teams must cut to 53, by 4pm.. 9-13 Browns @ Ravens...

5 weeks from Week 1.. And If Teams wait to add bodies at cut down? They will be on your team a week before Week 1 kicks off...Tick..tock.. 

• Upvote 1

Our professional athletes have obviously reached the better than us working stiffs prima dona status in fact they have long passed even our congressman.  "Here's a little stipend to get you through these tough times."

........To be designated a voluntary opt-out, a player must be under contract or subject to a tender. The player's contract will toll and all provisions of that contract for the tolled year will be applicable the following season; however, he will not receive an accrued season. The player will be eligible for a stipend of $150,000 to be treated as a salary advance against his tolled contract; an undrafted free agent, however, is not eligible for the stipend.......

.......It is not mandatory for a "higher risk" player to opt out. A higher-risk opt-out will receive an accrued season toward free agency and all benefits and minimum salary credit for a credited season and is also eligible for a stipend of $350,000, which will not constitute a salary advance.......

I was more than a little surprised to see Drew Forbes opt out. It was looking like he had a future in the league and now I'm not so sure. I mean, that's basically two years without really playing ball. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, gumby73 said:

If Teams wait to add bodies at cut down? They will be on your team a week before Week 1 kicks off

I don't know how much we can accomplish before roster cuts.  We obviously will be looking for offensive guards but rosters right now are quite fat with just about anybody that knows how to play tackle football (90 guys on some teams).  And the cut down to 80 next week will be just bodies.

With the opt out of 66 players, that's 61 fewer decent players not being cut because teams have to keep guys that ordinarily would've been cut.  (and maybe go to a practice squad)  -  The pool of cuts will be of lesser quality this year.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Orion said:

I don't know how much we can accomplish before roster cuts.  We obviously will be looking for offensive guards but rosters right now are quite fat with just about anybody that knows how to play tackle football (90 guys on some teams).  And the cut down to 80 next week will be just bodies.

With the opt out of 66 players, that's 61 fewer decent players not being cut because teams have to keep guys that ordinarily would've been cut.  (and maybe go to a practice squad)  -  The pool of cuts will be of lesser quality this year.

Just had a good confab with my former ball coach up in Toledo..The main topic were still confused on.. is this... Practice Squads,, and this is the latest confirmation of eligibility..  https://cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-nflpa-agree-to-revised-cba-salary-cap-details-training-camp-timeline-roster-size-and-more-to-know/ 

53 plus 16=69..2 to 3 players/team, always get protected by PuP list and or Injured Reserve, so that will cut into that pie.

But It looks like were still waiting on a confirmation of? (see link^^) a) only protecting 4 PS players of 16? or B.) up to 6 allowed Vets? is that the new number teams can protect? 

Coach thought trading for OL help now would be draft pick compensation robbery..Teams knowing with Covid testing vs. Trench warfare..Teams ain't giving up no one for free with that high of a risk position, that they may need themselves.. Your better off waiting on the 5-6 last cuts that teams will have to make.. Stay tuned 🙈... and Exhale...Da Browns have no Players, at this time on Covid/reserve..    

17 minutes ago, gumby73 said:

Your better off waiting on the 5-6 last cuts that teams will have to make..

Yup.  As soon as they're cut, you put in for a few and see where the dice lands.